Painfully bad Leica fake of the day
Old 07-30-2007   #1
landsknechte

Painfully bad Leica fake of the day

Found this listing on eBay. The seller is honest enough to admit it's a fake, but I thought that y'all might get a good laugh out of this:

1940 Фэд-НКВД
1946 Leica IIIc to IIIf conversion
1957 Зоркий-C

Old 07-30-2007   #2
Jocko
Off With The Pixies

Ah, the rare war correspondent's model. Regulations stated that these cameras could only be used whilst wearing a chromium-plated pickelhaube and monocle. Many an aspirant Goebbels was shot for dispensing with the latter

The "SK" stands for "Schlimm Kamera".

Ian

Gone to Croatan - and Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My RFF Gallery

Last edited by Jocko : 07-30-2007 at 23:34.

Old 07-30-2007   #3
lubitel

I dont know why people waste good russian cameras, and their painting skills on such stupidity. I'd rather carry a zorki1 with Homer Simpson on it and dunkin donuts colors.

Old 07-30-2007   #4
Bluesman
Richard

Hmm - the faker dropped out of his German grammar classes - isn´t it supposed to be Völkischer Beobachter?

Ah well, guess someone will buy it anyway...sigh /R

Old 07-31-2007   #5
Swissmadepix

Indeed, Bluesman, and it should also read "Optisches Institut..." on the rewind knob.

Would not buy it, but it's not ugly looking.

Old 07-31-2007   #6
Dralowid
Michael

As a matter of interest, are these painted ladies that we see on Ebay old Zorkis that have been repainted or are they still making Zorki 1s for just this purpose?

If the former, are there enough left to keep this industry going? I assume that someone buys them otherwise the practise would have dried up...

Old 07-31-2007   #7
varjag

Zorki 1 production was discontinued in the 1950s.

Old 07-31-2007   #8
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

I've seen Zorki.1s in nice, clean working [unpainted] condition go for $100. A Zorki painted black could easily bring that. The price on these painted ladies only seems to run around $110-$150 ish (?) While I appreciate the craftsmanship, I can hardly see how it's worth their time. Maybe it's just the love of the *art*.

Last edited by reagan : 07-31-2007 at 02:28.

Old 07-31-2007   #9
40oz

that's a really nice looking camera minus the swastika. Omit that crap, and I'd be tempted. What's the fascination with Nazi Germany?

Old 07-31-2007   #10
Jocko
Off With The Pixies

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz
that's a really nice looking camera minus the swastika. Omit that crap, and I'd be tempted. What's the fascination with Nazi Germany?
Well, I think these cameras are very seldom sold to people with a genuine interest in photography or the faintest knowledge of militaria or history. I suspect the basic appeal lies in a posture of transgression, hence the sellers add lashings of preposterous detail, mock heraldry and the rest. This is the Nazism of comic books, "men's magazines", Hogan's Heroes and nasty little fantasies - whenever I see them I find myself thinking of the film "American Beauty".

I used to react angrilly to these cameras - the historical irony sickened me - but they now just strike me as monuments to stupidity - and a waste of skill and good parts.

Cheers, Ian

Gone to Croatan - and Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

My RFF Gallery

Old 07-31-2007   #11
matt fury

Hell, I'd pay the maker to paint my M4! It looks really well done.

Old 07-31-2007   #12
landsknechte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocko
Well, I think these cameras are very seldom sold to people with a genuine interest in photography or the faintest knowledge of militaria or history. I suspect the basic appeal lies in a posture of transgression, hence the sellers add lashings of preposterous detail, mock heraldry and the rest. This is the Nazism of comic books, "men's magazines", Hogan's Heroes and nasty little fantasies - whenever I see them I find myself thinking of the film "American Beauty".

I used to react angrilly to these cameras - the historical irony sickened me - but they now just strike me as monuments to stupidity - and a waste of skill and good parts.

Cheers, Ian
If anything, this is aimed at the "dood a swastika!" segment of the population. They're probably not neo-Nazis or the like, just some uneducated blokes that watched a few too many WW2 movies and consider themselves serious amateur historians because of that. I myself collect German militaria, and have almost abandoned collecting items from the Third Reich indirectly because of those people. If an item has a swastika on it, regardless of the rarity or legitimacy of it, the price shoots up. There's a cottage industry now flooding the market with all sorts of counterfeit items; some convincing, and some comically bad. Anyone who is accustomed to looking at items from the 1930's-1940's should be able to tell the engraving isn't period, even if they know nothing about Leicas.
1940 Фэд-НКВД
1957 Зоркий-C

Old 07-31-2007   #13
mac_wt
Cameras are like bunnies

Seems very well done. I wish they would make some of this quality without all the nazi symbolism. A while ago I saw some that even had an M-style door on the back of the camera. I don't see any of these anymore. I really would be interested in a decent rebuild of a Zorki, without all the references to Leica or nazism.

Old 07-31-2007   #14
Scarpia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman
Hmm - the faker dropped out of his German grammar classes - isn´t it supposed to be Völkischer Beobachter?

Ah well, guess someone will buy it anyway...sigh /R
The Soviet Union always suffered from severe shortages. They were probably out of umlauts at the time the camera was painted.
Kurt M.

Old 08-10-2007   #15
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

Here's another...

RARE!! Collector's find, personal camera of Luftwaffe Gen. John VonDeere.

Old 08-10-2007   #16
NIKON KIU
Did you say Nippon Kogaku

I thought this thread would die in peace and then a comrade shows us this:

Kiu

Old 08-10-2007   #17
Matthew Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKON KIU
I thought this thread would die in peace and then a comrade shows us this
I think I'm blind now. Thanks.

Matthew

Old 08-10-2007   #18
cmedin

I want it.

Old 08-10-2007   #19
RML

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmedin
I want it.
You can have it!

Old 08-10-2007   #20
John Robertson

I think I'm going to be sick 8->
Purma Plus; Bessa R2; Bessa T;Fed2; Foca Standard x 2!!; Focasport 11 ;Fed Zarya ; AKW Arette 1c; Werramatic; Leica CL; ; Horizont 202; Olympus Trip35; Leica Mini3; Ilford Advocate: The Fed 2; Purma Plus and Ilford Advocate have been with me since they were new. (that makes me old )

Also other assorted junk (Digital camera )

Flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-10-2007   #21
cmedin

So what are these, dressed up Zorki 2s?

I still like the green one...

Old 08-10-2007   #22
mac_wt
Cameras are like bunnies

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVBLZ4
Here's another...

RARE!! Collector's find, personal camera of Luftwaffe Gen. John VonDeere.
To be fair: that seller has some pretty clean original Fed's and Zorki's in his shop, like this . I guess he just sells what people want to buy. At least his cameras look like they have a quality finish unlike some other crudely repainted cameras you can find on Ebay.

Old 08-11-2007   #23
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_wt
To be fair: that seller has some pretty clean original Fed's and Zorki's in his shop...
I wasn't commenting on the seller at all. Just a pun about the John Deere green camera. Which, BTW, also doesn't bear the Leica name, as far as I can see.

The quality of work of many of these repaints can't be denied. The same guys who crank out the swastika-coated weak forgeries also produce some beautifully done repaints with their original marks, FED & Zorki . I have one. (click Zorki.1d in my sig)

Old 08-17-2007   #24
cmedin

I see Mean Green (gen John vonDeere edition) is back on the 'bay. Wife keeps telling me it's so hideous I should buy it... seen mixed reviews about the seller (moscowphoto) though.

Old 08-17-2007   #25
John Robertson

People who make these things should be taken away and shot, as for the people who encourage these idiots -----------------------------------------------------bang!!
Purma Plus; Bessa R2; Bessa T;Fed2; Foca Standard x 2!!; Focasport 11 ;Fed Zarya ; AKW Arette 1c; Werramatic; Leica CL; ; Horizont 202; Olympus Trip35; Leica Mini3; Ilford Advocate: The Fed 2; Purma Plus and Ilford Advocate have been with me since they were new. (that makes me old )

Also other assorted junk (Digital camera )

Flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 08-17-2007   #26
Dralowid
Michael

We must keep this thread running...

Presumably these very rare green and gold cameras were made in advance as exclusive own brand products to be sold in Harrods of Knightsbridge after the fall of the UK to the Axis powers?

Michael

Old 08-17-2007   #27
cmedin

You at least have to hand it to the green camera seller; he's not got any Leica logos on it and is making no weird claims as to how special the camera is. I figure it's a nice condition Zorki C (which I learned today that he uses those a basis for these 'specials') with a somewhat strange paintjob. What blows my mind is the amount of time and effort put into something that he can't possibly be making a large profit on considering what they sell for.

Old 08-17-2007   #28
ZeissFan

You know what's ironic? There is a degree of workmanship evident in both of these cameras. Instead of making fakes, why not put that same effort into making a premium version of the original camera -- which might have more value than the fake.

But I suppose a thief is a thief, and it's hard to break old habits.

Old 08-17-2007   #29
landsknechte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dralowid
We must keep this thread running...

Presumably these very rare green and gold cameras were made in advance as exclusive own brand products to be sold in Harrods of Knightsbridge after the fall of the UK to the Axis powers?

Michael
I thought that was the specially pimped out Hermann Göring version.
1940 Фэд-НКВД
1957 Зоркий-C

I love it!!!
Old 08-18-2007   #30
Feanor

I love it!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landsknechte
Found this listing on eBay. The seller is honest enough to admit it's a fake, but I thought that y'all might get a good laugh out of this:

What's bad about? I'm mean, nobody's going to be fooled that it's authentic, even without the disclaimer. The thing: the art work. It looks really well done and has more "stuff" than most.

Would I buyt one? No, but I won't speculate about those who might. Most wouldn't be neo-Nazis, mostly just lovers of really good graffiti.

Old 08-18-2007   #31
rbiemer
Unabashed Amateur

I like this red one!
I have said before that I think if the repainters could work with someone like Oleg and offer an "a la carte" FSU camera, there's a small but viable market for these things.
Black Zorki 3m with aubergine leather for me, please!
Rob

You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
--Mark Twain

Old 08-22-2007   #32
Nando

I got one of these painted FSU's but its a not a Leica-fake. It is true Zorki, it is absolutely gorgeous and I love it. Save for the intermittent light leaks at slower speeds and being off at close-focus, the camera works nicely - it will be going to the doctor soon for a tune-up.

I got mine from Yuri at Fedka and he had several Zorkies and Feds available that are painted by these craftsmen but not dressed up as fake Leicas. I like the "a la carte" idea. Perhaps service through Fedka or Oleg where we can get our existing FSU's customized the way we want. I think that would be really neat.

Fernando Gomes Semedo - flickr

Last edited by Nando : 08-22-2007 at 19:32.

Old 08-24-2007   #33
Andy Aitken
Registered Loser

Ah, now that is nice. Good to see those painting skills aren't being entirely wasted.

Old 08-25-2007   #34
dee

Iv'e got it !

Well I have deelicious , deelectable , 3x Zorki S versions and 3x Zorki 1 versions .[ theZ Ss are not marked '' Leica '' , though all I 22s are ''Elmars '']

I found that my Asdee ''connected '' with the Leica II , which is so rare - but I could never afford a real one .

So I bought one Zorki S '' 1936 Olympic '' just 'cos it looked kinda funky - I really could not care less about the Nazi / Nasty stuff ., and was totally ignorant about ex-USSR cameras anyway but my autistc stuff can't resolve Russian lettering , and it likes ''new'' , so this seemed a camera that I could cope with . Also two standard black ''Leicas ''whic later proved to be Fed 1 g .

You know what ?

The Z S is silky smooth , and quiet , the thick glossy black and new matt chrome lense is a dream - even on my Leica IIIc - and my autism demands ''several '' to kind of reinforce and ground me in the noise . [ cheaper than the equivalent Leica II s !! ]
Hence the triples .
The chrome is new matt finish , the black thick and resistant to wear , the covering is either new vinyl or a nextell mattish overpaint - the blinds seem to be new , the engraving is exquisite .

He also has a Zorki - Zorki in the same finish advertised . If it's as good as my OTT cameras , it's an acceptable bargain - get one .

Amazingly , contrary to the dire warnings I received about rubbish cameras cosmetically prettied , every one , given minor differences of noise and smoothness , is a deelight to USE , unlike some other original cameras and lenses I have bought .

The ugly duckling Zorki S is really transformed by the re-imagining . They have laser made round inserts at the front and a panel on the back in rather naff cream plastic , which I have replaced with Leather - and Red or Black Leica dots - compounding the felony ! But that's the joy of Leicalikes - i can mess around with them 'cos there is no originality to worry about !

Since then , in an attack of guilt and curiosity , [ and a really successful e-bay sale ! ] I have bought a restored Fed 1 / Zorki 1 / Zorki S / Zorki 2s - and the dee's orientation with the Russian script IS seriously dee sturbing / dee's orientating - but they are no smoother and quieter than those i call my little indulgences - and swastikas can be gently blacked out with little dee ficulty !

This incidentally , this was not so of the two rather less well made and painted standard black Leica II copies from moscow photo [ Mika ] - which I sent to be OLeged 'cos I liked them and reckoned that if I sent them back , I would probably have the same problem with others . Now they are as good but NOT BETTER ! . But serious brassing is the order of the day - but I just touch them up with satin black Revell Acrylic !! I try not to think of the ultimate cost, but no where near the cost of a genuine black Leica II !

i call them mika - mouse cameras ... groan ! I love 'em 'cos they are a finger to the entire Leica mystique / ethos !

Anarchy Rules - and i have compromised '' i '' dentity problems too , so I kinda like unwanted camera being made usefull and attractive again .

incidentally , since over indulging in the wicked pretenders , I now have two lovely 1933 1st/2nd batch black Leica IIs with a wonderfull patina - so i can be a purist too .. but I am almost scared to use them in case I break or lose them - the pretenders perfornm almost as well and i have no worries about taking them out whatsoever .

As for value ... I have been trying to think of a totally remade new 1930s style camera which I could buy for £ 60 ZS or £70 Z1 including shipping ... which is a deelight to use , focuses superbly , winds beautifully , and is a joy to behold ... I can't ... but I am sure that someone will !

In case you are thinking that I am some rich dee luded/ dee mented crazzeeee they were ALL funded by selling off old 60s toys on e-bay which other crazies were happy to pay silly prices for - so it's recycling !
Problem is that Kiev Krazee has eaten up all of the Dinky toy fiunding , so I can't buy the Zorki version ! OOPS !

But I am proven , diagnosed , registered crazy , which kinda means I have nothing to lose in the reality stakes !

Quite liberating really !

dee
Fuji X-Pro 1 and X-M1 joined by neat X-T1

Contax/Kiev hybrids - Contax II silver /tan , Contax III + Kiev IV meter etc , Contax II , Kiev shutter from parts camera .
Minolta SR1s/SR7v/SRTs various !

Puns,Cameras and snapshots keeping ASD and dees'ruptive Girl/Boy/Me?' dee'structive dee'sorientation contained.