Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder

Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder A dedicated forum to the first Digital Leica M mount rangefinder camera.

Serial numbers
Old 03-05-2005   #1
pfogle

Serial numbers

Hi,

my R-D1 body is number 2449, and I was wondering what other sn's were out there, what with the hype about only 10k being make, etc. Does anyone know what numbers were allocated to which countries?

cheers
Phil

Old 03-05-2005   #2
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

Mine's 0017xx. One thing we don't know (well, maybe Sean does, but I don't) is whether they just started numbering them at 000001 and went up from there, or used some kind of batch coding.

Old 03-05-2005   #3
iMacfan

If it's of any use, CV definitely started at 0000001 on the R3a, because my number's in the 30s - I'm quite proud of that for some reason, but will be less so if it plays up!

David

Old 03-06-2005   #4
Sean Reid

I don't know if they started at 000001 but I'll bet that they did and that camera 000001 went to the Epson CEO. The low serial number cameras were likely sold in Japan. This is conjecture from me, however, as I haven't spoken to Epson about it. My camera is 000002...just kidding....it's actually 0016XX.

Cheers,

Sean

Old 03-09-2005   #5
Jim Watts
Still trying to See.

Phil,
Mine is a 24xx but higher than yours. Purchased in December. So it would seem that the U.K. at least is being alloted a batch in this range.

I think Robert White, where you got yours, was the first dealer in the U.K. to have them. I got mine from Jacobs but I have now seen about 10 or more U.K. dealers advertising them, so they must be proving popular here, or is it just the strength of the pound and price here that makes this an attractive market for Epson.

It would be interesting to know how far Epson is through the 10,000 internationally. I expect we will soon start seeing "refurbished" R-D1's with low serial numbers given that Epson seems to be replacing rather than repairing all those returned?

Old 03-09-2005   #6
DaShiv
21st century digital boy

Refurb R-D1's would be great. I've picked up a few factory refurbs on Canon SLR lenses from B&H and found them to be excellent bargains and flawless performers, so refurbished R-D1's would be great since the main downside to the R-D1 is its sticker price. (The crop factor would be the second biggest downside in my book, but that's taken for granted in DSLR-land.)

FWIW, my serial # is 0017XX, purchased late January from B&H.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=544'>My Gallery</a>

Old 03-09-2005   #7
LCT

Hi everybody, Sean, Jim, David and others. Nice little forum here.
Wonder if mine is an oldie: # 15xx
Purchased last november
Membership card # 0001
he he!

Old 03-09-2005   #8
Jim Watts
Still trying to See.

Hi LCT - Welcome to the forum.

It's looking that the U.S. has got a (first?) batch from 15xx to 17xx and the U.K. 24xx to 25xx Anyone lower/higher? What about all you guys that purchased in Japan and Hong Kong?

Old 03-09-2005   #9
Ed Schwartzreic

I wonder who on this forum has the earliest number? I have 00106X which was bought in Japan and resold here in early November. Perhaps the numbering started at 001000?

Ed

Old 03-09-2005   #10
krimple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watts
Hi LCT - Welcome to the forum.

It's looking that the U.S. has got a (first?) batch from 15xx to 17xx and the U.K. 24xx to 25xx Anyone lower/higher? What about all you guys that purchased in Japan and Hong Kong?
Mine (USA) is a 17xx model.

Ken

Old 03-09-2005   #11
Sean Reid

Welcome LCT!!! This is indeed a great little forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Old 03-09-2005   #12
Sean Reid

Welcome LCT!!! This is indeed a great little forum.

Cheers,

Sean

Replacement body number...
Old 03-10-2005   #13
pfogle

Replacement body number...

... is 0034xx

cheers
Phil

Old 03-10-2005   #14
J. Borger

An inbetweener here .............. 0002272 ... ....bought in Germany!

Old 03-10-2005   #15
Jim Watts
Still trying to See.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfogle
... is 0034xx

cheers
Phil
Sounds like the U.K. or at least Robert White is getting a Second Higher Numbered batch? I'm looking forward to purchasing No. 9,999 soon for less than £500

Last edited by Jim Watts : 03-10-2005 at 04:55.

Old 03-10-2005   #16
mtokue

Hi, Mine bought in Japan Last Month is ..000473 and a friend of mine has ..000205 bought last year also in Japan.

Mike.

Old 03-15-2005   #17
sevres_babylone

18**. Bought from B&H last week.

Serial number
Old 04-01-2005   #18
Charles D. Orze

Serial number

I purchased my R D1 from B&H and it is a sweet one. One hot pixel, framelines are perhaps a very tiny bit off, but not enough to worry about. SN is 00018xx.

Charlie Orzech

Old 04-01-2005   #19
driggett

Mine has been/is 17xx, 193x, 192x. The first one bought from Calumet in SF the last two as replacements from Epson.
Cheers,
Chris

Old 04-01-2005   #20
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

I like to watch the "Numb3rs" TV show, so I can't resist trying to detect patterns from this kind of info.

For example...

We still haven't gathered enough data to infer whether the serial numbers are a simple sequence, or numbered in batches, possibly by market area.

If you like the market-area hypothesis, so far it looks as if Asia could be block 000xxx, the USA could be block 001xxx, and Europe block 002xxx.

(This grouping could just be a coincidence based on the release date of the camera in various markets... except didn't the UK and Europe have their official rollout earlier than the US? If so, you'd think that the European cameras would be mostly 001s and the US cameras mostly 002s, rather than vice-versa.)

Meanwhile... If the serials are numbered in blocks, then how do they increment once a 999-unit block has been filled out? Does the first group to exhaust its block get the next available block, or is there some sort of system to this as well?

We have one report of a UK-purchased camera in the 003xxx block. (Epson apparently has been using our own pfogle as a sort of human mine-shaft canary for defective R-D 1s, so it's not surprising that Europe would exhaust its serial-number block first.)

Where will the next 003xxx camera appear? This could be the next clue in our evolving Epson Number Theory...

Old 04-02-2005   #21
pfogle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlw
Epson apparently has been using our own pfogle as a sort of human mine-shaft canary for defective R-D 1s.
We're all guinea pigs here

Seriously though, I can't think of any other camera release that has generated so much research by the consumer... I think Epson should be paying us rather than us paying them!

What I *really* hope is that the interest generated will be enough to keep this line of product going... I'd hate to think that the R-D1 would fizzle out after all this. And it does raise the question of on-going support.

Is there any way this forum could be sent to Epson so they know what's going on?

Phil

My Gallery

Old 04-02-2005   #22
Benjamin Marks

My original was from B&H s/n 1880. As I mentioned on another thread, that went back to Epson and they replaced with s/n 45xx. The 45xx camera has a slightly tighter feel (more positive snap to the jog dial when lifted, rotated etc.)

Old 04-02-2005   #23
driggett

I have informed Epson USA of this forum and sent them the links to the viewfinder problem threads. So if they care they have the pointers to reads this forum. But you can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink.
Cheers,
Chris

Old 01-03-2007   #24
waldemarski

My initial refurb was 19xx, the latest one (received yesterday) is 46xx, so rather higher than most others. I haven't had a chance yet to check the shipped firmware, but has ANYONE received an actual R-D1s in the refurb system, or for it to be a "real" R-D1s (ie, with the change in the alignment screws) does it have to have the changed model designation marked on the camera? In other words, is there anyone with a camera marked R-D1 which also has the changed alignment screws?

Old 01-03-2007   #25
RFNewbie

I just got mine last week from Epson. It's 46xx. This is my first RF camera and I'm loving it. Still have 2 dSLR but have not used them since I got this thing. It's much more fun to try and manually set everything again. It also allows me to carry it many more places because it so much smaller and looks inconspicuous. I love the analog gauges....so beautiful. Flip the screen around and nobody will know you have a digital. Doing almost all b&w with it, whereas the dSLR were 99.999% color. I just like the old look of the b&w pics which goes perfectly with the old look of the camera. I actually like it more than the M8 that I tried. Did I say how much I love this camera?

Last edited by RFNewbie : 01-03-2007 at 19:03.

Old 01-03-2007   #26
Charles D. Orze

Mine is 1846. Love it!

Charlie

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=1609'>My Gallery</a>

Old 01-05-2007   #27
delta images
I_Doc

Got # 122 last month in Ex++ condition from Japan

46xx refurb from epson
Old 01-07-2007   #28
georgeaye

46xx refurb from epson

just got mine and I'm super excited to have it and relearn to focus manually again!

g

Low number refurb
Old 01-09-2007   #29
ehoward

Low number refurb

Just got my refurb from Epson with serial number 001989. The camera is in pristine condition and looks to have never been used. Wonder where it has been the last couple of years? Anyone recognize this serial number as having been theirs at one time?

E.Howard

Got "refurb" today
Old 01-15-2007   #30
LeicaM3

Got "refurb" today

Ordered Friday, got my RD-1 today (Monday).
46xx - not a single sign of use!

Looks fine, feels quite solidly build.

Happy.
Andreas

Guess I have an older one
Old 01-15-2007   #31
kchan

Guess I have an older one

The box says 1818. Well that's on the box. Is there another one on the camera? Got it about a month ago and it looks a little "used".

-ken

Old 01-15-2007   #32
waldemarski

serial number is on the hotshoe - only one on the camera, as far as I know. makes it rather easy to change serial numbers - just noting, not suggesting!
waldemar

Old 01-15-2007   #33
docolmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfogle
Hi,

my R-D1 body is number 2449, and I was wondering what other sn's were out there, what with the hype about only 10k being make, etc. Does anyone know what numbers were allocated to which countries?

cheers
Phil
Just got mine, R-D1s from Japan. As distributed comes with Japanese menu(!) and manual. Serial number xxxx101xxx. That's more than 100,000!

Old 01-16-2007   #34
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by docolmo
Just got mine, R-D1s from Japan. Serial number xxxx101xxx. That's more than 100,000!
A huge jump. I have a suspicion that the R-D1s may have the prefix "1" to distinguish it from the R-D1. Be interesting to see if this is borne out by other R-D1s serial Nos.

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 01-16-2007   #35
docolmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC
A huge jump. I have a suspicion that the R-D1s may have the prefix "1" to distinguish it from the R-D1. Be interesting to see if this is borne out by other R-D1s serial Nos.
No error here. The number on the box is xxx101xxx. On the hotshoe 101xxx. The box also shows Jan 2007 (manufacturing date?). If it is really a prefix 1, then serial number is only 1,000+. I think they must have produced a lot of R-D1s for the Japanese market.

Old 01-16-2007   #36
manojd

I believe it is the serial number. My R-D1s is number 100XXX purchased July last year. It's funny how you can guess how many they produced between July and Jan, because mine has 9xx as the last three digits. So, they produced/sold less than 200 in the last 5 months, almost 1.x camera a day. That's a slow production line, but not a bad sales figure!

Old 01-18-2007   #37
Elbow

Hello, First post on this forum. I recieved my Refurb from the U.S. about a week ago, serial # 15XX. Looks brand new except for a very tiny scratch on the base and a small bit of dust in the battery chamber. Back focus apparent, but I'll fix it. I'll add a few nice scratches in no time!
Rob.

Old 01-20-2007   #38
Vagabond
Accomplished Malingerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoward
Just got my refurb from Epson with serial number 001989. The camera is in pristine condition and looks to have never been used. Wonder where it has been the last couple of years? Anyone recognize this serial number as having been theirs at one time?

E.Howard
I received mine back in November '06 with a serial number of 0019xx and it is also in pristine condition without any sign of use on it. I've adjusted the slight infinity focus problem which also cured the close focusing and now everything seems to be fine.

Bessa R2a - Epson R-D1 - Leica M6 - Fuji X100 - etc.

Old 01-20-2007   #39
LKSC

My R-D1s from Agust 2006 is 101XXX

Old 01-20-2007   #40
RichC

It seems that the R-D1s serial No. is prefixed by "10" and the numbering restarted (from which number I don't know).

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk