Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: What is your relative usage of B&W and color film?
100% B&W 78 15.23%
Over 80% B&W 174 33.98%
60-80% B&W 93 18.16%
About half-and-half 68 13.28%
60-80% color 40 7.81%
Over 80% color 41 8.01%
100% color 18 3.52%
Voters: 512. You may not vote on this poll

Usage of color film / B&W film
Old 02-19-2007   #1
JohnL
Very confused

Usage of color film / B&W film

Some time ago, just for curiosity, I started a poll of relative usage of film and digital ... now I'm interested to know the relative usage of color and B&W among film shooters ... if you also shoot digital, please respond according to your film usage only. In no way is this intended to consider the relative merits of the different media. "Color" includes both transparency and negative film.

Last edited by JohnL : 02-19-2007 at 05:23.

Old 02-19-2007   #2
Pablito
coco frío

Color is what they make DSLR's for..

Old 02-19-2007   #3
Jeremy Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito
Color is what they make DSLR's for..
Ditto. Since I got into digital, I don't shoot color film any more. (unless C41 chemistry B&W counts...)

I'm finding out that after learning in color, there is quite an adjustment to move to B&W.

FWIW, I think color print film is going to fall by the wayside. B&W film will keep on keepin' on, for the same reasons it survived the color revolution.

Jeremy's collection

Old 02-19-2007   #4
iml

As above. All colour is digital, about 80% of b&w is film at the moment.

Ian

Some photos

Old 02-19-2007   #5
peter_n
~

I have a little Sony digicam, not a hulking great dslr...

My RFF Gallery

Old 02-19-2007   #6
Xmas

I can not do landscapes in B&W too often, they are terrible in colour as well but I can tolerate that. Round town B&W ok.

Noel

Old 02-19-2007   #7
sjw617
Panoramist

100% color.

Last edited by sjw617 : 02-19-2007 at 15:50.

Old 02-19-2007   #8
kshapero
Photog

I'm a color man, but Adobe Lightroom converts to B+W so nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

"Cheeky but not brazen"

Old 02-19-2007   #9
Bryce

I generally shoot very little color, and nearly all of that happens with the dslr. A notable exception is wide angle shots, since the widest lens I have for the digital is 24mm, and that just doesn't cut it. So the Bessa L and 15mm see the odd roll of color film.

Old 02-20-2007   #10
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Due to my current job driving truck, the proportion of color has gone way up. That's not so bad as I enjoy shooting both.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 02-20-2007   #11
drewbarb
picnic like it's 1999

Me too. Before digital, I shot maybe 60/40 b&w/color film. Now my film work is easily 90% b&w- I prefer to do it all myself, so I don't shoot much C41 at all these days. If I shoot color film, it's much more likely to be chrome. Most color work these days is with the DSLR. Also- I almost never do digital b&w. If I want it in b&w, I shoot it on film.

Old 02-20-2007   #12
Mikael.N

On a trip to india goa i had yashica gt with color i developt those film on location in minilab good Q and chep.And a folder RF Westex (super baldax)BW .you take different foto with different format.

Old 02-20-2007   #13
Ewoud
Perceptol Addict

I think in the 2 years I own a Dslr, my film bodies have maybe seen 5 rolls of color film.. so that pretty much sums it up..

Old 02-22-2007   #14
dazedgonebye

I shoot all color.
With color I have easy access to fast (1 hour) C41 processing that costs me $2 ($5 with medium res scan cd).
I'm very comfortable making monochrome conversions in Photoshop and that's what happens to the vast majority of my shots.

I'm guessing that some time in the next 5 to 10 years, it may be difficult to find mini-labs for film processing. At that point, I'll start souping my own black and white. For now though, I really don't have time for the extra effort of developing.

"And I know now that the cure for my childhood was not to be looked after, as I once believed; it was to look after someone else." ~Philip Norman

Photography Blog
Flickr
Twitter

Old 02-24-2007   #15
steamer

Wish I could shoot more color film, love the look I get from my G2 kit, but the cost of color film and developing is getting away from me. Black and white is big fun too though and I can develop my own, so it's not so bad.

Old 02-24-2007   #16
ChrisN
Striving

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlewisiii
Due to my current job driving truck, the proportion of color has gone way up.
Why? No time for home developing? Or does it better suit the subject matter?

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 02-24-2007   #17
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

I use 99% C41 color and 1% C41 B&W and agree with the comment made before that we won't see minilabs in a few years. My minilab guy says that next time his one needs an expensive repair he won't bother.

That leaves us with mail order C41 dev and scan; which I think would soon go up in price.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 02-24-2007   #18
wlewisiii
StayAtHome Dad & Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN
Why? No time for home developing? Or does it better suit the subject matter?
Lack of time for developing, mostly. I am also shooting more chromogenic c41 as well for the same reason.

William

Playing and learning daily with: 4x5 Crown Graphic, Leica IIIf w/ 50/2 Summitar, Nikon F2 Photomic w/ 50/1.4 & Olympus E-PL1.

"Some people are 'the glass is half full' types. Some people are 'the glass is half empty' types. I'm a 'the glass is full of radioactive waste and I just drank half of it' type. And I'm still thirsty." -- Bill Mattocks

Old 02-24-2007   #19
georgefspencer

Canon 30D for color . . .

Leica M6TTL for B&W (C41) . . . . Although I might get back to developing my own B&W now that I am retired.

Old 02-24-2007   #20
Rob Skeoch
-

I shoot digi colour everyday for work so when I get to shoot for myself it's b&w only. Have no interest in colour. I process my own film and make my own prints, just like a lot of you do. I've always loved the look of a great black and white fibrebased print.
Rob
bigcameraworkshops.com

Old 02-24-2007   #21
DaveInDenver

I'm a 50/50, but we don't have a digital camera. From what I've seen it seems that digital color is pretty faithful, but many color films still have that little bit of something extra. Better saturation of Velvia, more satisfying facial tones of Portra, etc. It's a personal thing and honestly that's why I like color film, you can change the whole characteristic of your 'sensor' with a new roll. I'd guess that's possible in digital with Photoshop and all that, though.

Old 03-05-2007   #22
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I'm truly surprised by the number of people here shooting colour print as opposed to chromes.
I shoot virtually 100% colour, and of that easily 99% is 100 ISO E-6 with the odd bit of 400 ISO E-6 film pushed one stop for speed.
For me, nothing beats the vibrance and life of slides, and again, to me, colour slide beats any and all projected colour digital that I've ever seen.

Old 03-05-2007   #23
kshapero
Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsinto
I'm truly surprised by the number of people here shooting colour print as opposed to chromes.
I shoot virtually 100% colour, and of that easily 99% is 100 ISO E-6 with the odd bit of 400 ISO E-6 film pushed one stop for speed.
For me, nothing beats the vibrance and life of slides, and again, to me, colour slide beats any and all projected colour digital that I've ever seen.
Totally agree, but I can't find a reliable slide projector anywhere.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

"Cheeky but not brazen"

Old 03-05-2007   #24
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
Akiva,
First of all, define "a reliable slide projector". I've got three Ektagraphics that I consider to be reliable. I'm quite surprised you can't find one you like at a photo flea market or swap meet. Here in Toronto, you can practically buy Ektagraphics by the pound.

Old 03-05-2007   #25
mfunnell
Shaken, so blurred

I said 50/50. I think I intend to shoot more BW than colour but that logistics often defeat me. I'd like to shoot real BW but don't develop my own (I know, I should change that) and am usually too impatient to have it sent out. So, I mostly shoot BW400CN, which is acceptable even if it isn't Delta 400. But I've only found one minilab which reliably processes that without nasty colour-casts, so I tend to use them - which builds in delays as I can't often get to them. With others I find it easier to get a good result doing my own BW conversion from lab scans of colour negs. (I'm trying to avoid the time taken doing my own scans, but often find I need to scan my own negs from colour-cast C-41 BW.)

Also, Fuji makes decent ISO 800 and 1600 colour film. And, finally, its often handy to have colour loaded if I only have one camera with me. For those shots that need colour, its there. And for those better in BW, well, I just convert the scans. Again, probably not quite as good as even C-41 BW but more convenient.

...Mike

My flickr photostream has day-to-day stuff and I've given up most everywhere else through lack of time or perhaps interest.

Old 03-05-2007   #26
shg005

Around 90/10 (bw/color)

RRF Galery - http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...00&ppuser=9720

Old 03-05-2007   #27
amateriat
We're all light!

I think that my shifting to shooting mostly b/w helped me appreciate what shooting color can do if one is paying attention. Most of the color I shoot now is C41 (mostly Kodak Portra, with a bit of Fuji Pro 400/800 thrown in when desired), and Kodak E200 for slides (and, yes, I keep an Ektagraphic E-2 on deck for when I need it...wonderfully bulletproof machine, ever since I bought it new over 20 years ago). Having a film scanner that can handle all the above, of course, surely helps matters here.

As for the b/w I shoot, I have a serious love jones for Ilford XP2, which can do damn near anything I want, and scans and prints so easy. Besides that, it's a draw between HP5 and Fuji Neopan 400/1600.

- Barrett

"Print 'em both, kid." -
Frank "Cancie" Cancellare, to a UPI courier, after tossing a 20-exposure roll of film to him.

Here, a Gallery.

Old 03-09-2007   #28
DavidH
Overweight and over here

I started shooting b&w film again a couple years ago - as a break from digital - when the G2 system proved itself so excellent, i started using it for color too and then for work as well as leisure shooting. Having sussed C41 processing in a Jobo tank, I could then try XP2 as well - and that has proved itself a favourite for me...

So Ilford Delta 100, 400, XP2, HP5+ for b&w
Fuji Reala and Pro800Z for color

www.unnaturalworld.com

My RFF Gallery

Old 03-09-2007   #29
MikeL
Go Fish

HP5+ and FP4, with occasional Portra for color. Portra scans well in my experience.

Old 03-09-2007   #30
ajuk

If I am taking photos of somthing particulaly colour full then I use colour. I think I am more B&W these days about 65% B&W to 35% colour, then I still mostly use SLRs, still not using my Canonet much.

Old 03-12-2007   #31
BJ Bignell
Je n'aurai plus peur

I shoot mostly with b&w film now, as that's what I have in all of the cameras that I actively use. Today was an exception; I went for a four hour walk and shot three rolls of Kodak Gold 200. It was actually pretty fun! I felt a bit free, not worrying so much about colour, or the lack thereof, in the pictures... It'll probably pass.

RFF Gallery

Old 03-12-2007   #32
nrb
Nuno Borges

Most of my c-41 film I'm developing in d76 chemistry. Minilabs are now very careless with their color development, fingerprints and plain dirt being the hallmark of their activity.

Old 03-16-2007   #33
peterc
Heretic

I often use colour film as a cheap chromogenic B&W.

Peter

"If you understand what photographic materials can do, you can learn to form a mental image of the finished photograph before you actually trip the shutter." -- David R. Young
My Gallery
My 10 faves + 2

Old 03-16-2007   #34
ForeverUnknown
Let's Go Ducks!

I'm shooting 100% B&W. I would like to shoot a little color but the added cost per film and development holds me back.

Leica M6, 35 Cron ASPH

"Pictures capture moments in time. When they're posed, they're not real." - Brandon Fraser

Old 03-18-2009   #35
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Almost 100% color, with an occasional roll of 1600/3200 ISO B&W thrown in..

B&W lab processing and printing is much more expensive than color around here. Besides, films like Superia-200 and Superia-Reala when scanned give very nice starting points for conversion to B&W if required.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 03-18-2009   #36
ruby.monkey

Mostly B&W, but I like to throw some colour slide into the mix every now and again.

Old 03-18-2009   #37
pesphoto

100%b/w....film only

Old 03-18-2009   #38
novum

Mostly B&W, but I do C41, too, and develop all of that at home. Slides go to the pro lab. I have to disagree with the Nostradamus above who thinks color print film will die soon. That sort of comment was posited ten years ago. Film of all kinds constitute a shrinking, niche market, but there will be a demand for a long time to come. Ektar 100 is a good "development".

No, there is an alternative
Old 03-18-2009   #39
Gaspar

No, there is an alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaremontPhoto View Post
I use 99% C41 color and 1% C41 B&W and agree with the comment made before that we won't see minilabs in a few years. My minilab guy says that next time his one needs an expensive repair he won't bother.

That leaves us with mail order C41 dev and scan; which I think would soon go up in price.

What about home development C41? I never developed b&W and two days ago I developed a roll of reala on Tetenal- dead easy!

Old 03-18-2009   #40
kxl
Social Documentary

Like others, the only film I shoot is B&W. When I shoot color, I use a DSLR, an R-D1S or a digi P&S.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado