Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

XA4 owners?
Old 01-20-2007   #1
ben lloyd

XA4 owners?

Hello there,

I've just picked up an XA4 in reasonable condition, all seems to work, need to run a test film through it.

But I have a couple of queries:

Does anyone have a scan or know somewhere online that has the user manual?

It has come with a much longer strap than I've seen on other other XA*s, that comes apart to lengthen. I was wondering whether this might be some sort of way of measuring close distances for the macro mode... I'll post a photo in the next few days hopefully....

Also, what is the general opinion on this little beasty?

Cheers,
Ben

Old 01-20-2007   #2
agi

You can get the XA4 manual by joining this Yahoo XA group: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/OlympusXA/

It's in the "File" section and it's a pdf of the manual.

I have the XA4 and you're correct in that the strap is used to measure the distance in macro mode. You can lenghten the cord as well. It's all in the manual.

I love my XA4 and have taken a handful of shots with it you can see in my photoblog here. I really should use it more often.

Old 01-20-2007   #3
Xmas

Ben

It is a tape measure not a 'strap', the little nobs are at click settings of the focus mechanism. You can use it as a strap, but it is your rangefinder as well. Otherwise we would be OT, he, he, he

Mine is ok. I have to avoid finger printing the optic,... Supposedly the other XA need AgO batteries but mine does not seem to mind genric Ch batteries much.

There is a site on XAs try google...

Noel

Old 01-20-2007   #4
Trius
Waiting on Maitani

I recently acquired an XA-4, sent by a friend so that I could sell it (along with other goodies he sent me) as part of my "raise scratch for an unscratched damn fine film scanner" fund. Since I have 2 XAs, I'm considering keeping the XA-4 (for which I have lusted for a long time) and sell one of the XAs instead. I wouldn't realise as much gain, but then again, it's an XA-4. Likely it will see some service next weekend at a wedding.

Happiness is APX100 and Rodinal 1:100

A bunch o cameras. Does it really matter?
And NOW ... Fuji X-Pro1 w/ 18-55, 18/2 & adapted Zuikos and Hexanons
http://zuikoholic.tumblr.com
https://www.instagram.com/e.r.dunbar/
http://weedram.blogspot.com

Old 01-22-2007   #5
ben lloyd

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

The manual has proved very useful, and I can see myself using the macro mode quite a lot, having been stuck at 0.7m on my rfs for so long (I've pretty much abandoned SLRs).

It seems to be held in quite high regard, and should be fun to use.

Ben