Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Clubs, Critique, RFF Projects, Salon > RFF Photo Projects

RFF Photo Projects This is the place for keeping track of the Range Finder Forum (RFF) photo projects.

Old Family Photos
Old 12-25-2006   #1
raid
Dad Photographer

Old Family Photos

It is getting close towards the end of the year, and it is a time of the year when people get nostalgic and recall "the good old times". I would like to start [again] a thread on old family photos. Maybe some of you will open up their albums with the oldest family photos they own,and maybe they will share with us some old times from the past gone.

I will post some very personal photos on my family. Without boring you too much, I will mention some information to make relating to the photos easier. This is not a W/NW thread, but a thread where it is encouraged to share information on each other's families.

Let me know if this is interesting to you or not. I hope that you will join me here.

The photo shows my grandfather with my father and three of my aunts. In the 1920's, the first Iraqi Army took over the military from the Ottoman occupiers, and my grandfather was the highest ranking officer in the Iraqi Army at that time. Believe it or not, but Iraqi officers wore short pants then. It was a time before the conservative clothing started. There is a street in Baghdad named after him, and there is a statue of him too.

I got this photo out of Baghdad before my family escaped.

Raid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amin family.jpg (72.1 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by raid : 12-26-2006 at 11:25.

Old 12-25-2006   #2
erikhaugsby
killer of threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid
highest ranking officer in the Iraqi Army at that time
Wow, that's something to tell your kids about when they grow up. Any idea if his statue survived through the current turmoil?

Old 12-25-2006   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

Here is another very old photo of my late Dad. I am pretty much like him in many ways. He loved to enjoy life.
This photo may have been taken in Baghdad in the early 1950's.

Raid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amin family 9.jpg (16.9 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by raid : 12-25-2006 at 14:36.

Old 12-25-2006   #4
raid
Dad Photographer

This is a photo of me and Dad, taken in the Adhamiyya district of Baghdad. These days there are Katyooshia rockets and mortar flying over this district. The upper middle class families in Baghdad resided there in old times, and they were the backbone of what Iraq grew into before Saddam Hussein took over in the 1960's. I was born there and so was my wife.

Raid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amin family 2.jpg (36.8 KB, 40 views)

Old 12-25-2006   #5
raid
Dad Photographer

This is a photo of my parents with me and my brother before my sister was born. Posting these images takes me back in time. I listened online this morning to some amazing [sad] poetry about the state of affairs in Iraq by a poet living in the Netherlands, and I got quite sentimental. Maybe this is the main reason why I started this thread.

Raid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amin family 6.jpg (40.3 KB, 25 views)

Old 12-25-2006   #6
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikhaugsby
Wow, that's something to tell your kids about when they grow up. Any idea if his statue survived through the current turmoil?

Erik: Yes, I must tell my daughters one day about the real Iraq that flourished thousands of years under different names. It is a very important issue to never allow Iraq to be forgotten. The statue will still be there unless the "allies" bombed it. He was not a politician, but a historical figure.

raid

Old 12-25-2006   #7
DMG
waiting for friday

Raid cool post, sorry way cool post....I'm going to hit this up when I'm a little less "tired" with some photos from roughly the same era but in Scotland

flickR

My paternal grandfather
Old 12-25-2006   #8
Terao
Kiloran

My paternal grandfather

This is a man I never knew, he died when my father was just 16...

A handsome bloke, youngest of 13 kids! He was 12 years my grandmother's senior and his death meant she had to bring up my father and his brothers and sister alone. Such a resourceful woman, a real role model for me.

Bodies:
Nikon D700
Lenses: Nikon 50mm f/1.2 AIS, Nikon 85mm f/1.4

My Flickr gallery

Old 12-25-2006   #9
OldNick

Raid, it is good to remember. In my photo, made around 1904, my paternal grandparents are shown with their children at that time. My Dad is the taller one standing in the rear. It took a lot of patience in PhotoShop to clean up the image to this point, but it is one that we cherish.

Jim N.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Grandparents.JPG (155.7 KB, 40 views)

And this is my maternal grandfather
Old 12-25-2006   #10
Terao
Kiloran

And this is my maternal grandfather

This photo was taken in Cairo at 116 Emad-el-Din Street on September 26th 1942, less than a month before he was in the first wave of attacking tanks at El Alamein. He got through unscathed but his tank didn't (he was a driver) - hit by enemy fire and he rescued three people from the tank single-handed, including his CO who had had his legs blown off. He was awarded the Military Medal (UK's second highest gallantry award for non-officers in the army back then) for his actions.

Unsurprisingly a complete hero to me, you couldn't meet a warmer and more loving family man, very hard to reconcile the man I knew with what he got up to in WWII...

Ah and it also helps I look like him

Bodies:
Nikon D700

My Flickr gallery

Old 12-25-2006   #11
Terao
Kiloran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNick
Raid, it is good to remember. In my photo, made around 1904, my paternal grandparents are shown with their children at that time. My Dad is the taller one standing in the rear. It took a lot of patience in PhotoShop to clean up the image to this point, but it is one that we cherish.

Jim N.
Yes, its worth that effort I find . As family photographer (hey, its an excuse to buy gear!) and now archivist the task falls to me to do such things. All very rewarding despite much grumbling at the time. I'm working on the paternal side of my family archive at the moment, about a third in to scanning a couple of hundred photos...

Bodies:
Nikon D700

My Flickr gallery

Old 12-25-2006   #12
raid
Dad Photographer

That would be great, DMG. Just unwind and get back here with photos when you can.

Raid

Old 12-25-2006   #13
VictorM.

On the left is my grandfather with his children in the late '20's. My mother is on the far left. All but one are now dead. Next is my father and I, about 1951. There aren't many pictures of my father's family (in England) before the 1950's. They were probably too poor for cameras.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sam+Children.jpg (42.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 1951.jpg (43.6 KB, 23 views)

Old 12-25-2006   #14
raid
Dad Photographer

These are interesting photos with clarifications.
Keep them coming.

Raid

I came across some negatives Dad made
Old 12-25-2006   #15
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
I came across some negatives Dad made

My dad was more a dabbler in black and white photography than my brother and I are. Dad was a fan of Kodachrome and we have boxes of slides. When he shot b&w, it was Tri-x and plus-X all the way and with his Leicas and Nikkormat FTn and Nikon F.

I came across these negatives about two months ago and I started scanning some of them into my Flickr account. The ones I attached were all taken in the mid 1970's in Montreal. When I discovered the negatives and contact sheets, I got a big lump in my throat and brought back a lot of memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad Alex and I.jpg (90.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Dad and I.jpg (67.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Alex, Mom and Myself 1974.jpg (59.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Dad, Alex and I.jpg (41.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Granddad and I 1975.jpg (45.6 KB, 12 views)

Old 12-25-2006   #16
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorM.
On the left is my grandfather with his children in the late '20's. My mother is on the far left. All but one are now dead. Next is my father and I, about 1951. There aren't many pictures of my father's family (in England) before the 1950's. They were probably too poor for cameras.

Victor: Both photos look quite old. I don't have any family photos from the 20's. The car in the second photo looks interesting.

Bill: These photos are awesome portraits. I know what you mean when you say you got emotional. By the way, which camera is shown in the first photo?

I have added another family photo; it shows my brother and I when we lived for a short while in London (UK)in 1958. The stay was cut short by the 1958 revolution in Iraq in which the Republic of Iraq was created and King Faisal of Iraq with his entire family was killed.

Raid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amin family 8.jpg (39.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by raid : 12-25-2006 at 16:03.

Old 12-25-2006   #17
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terao
Yes, its worth that effort I find . As family photographer (hey, its an excuse to buy gear!) and now archivist the task falls to me to do such things. All very rewarding despite much grumbling at the time. I'm working on the paternal side of my family archive at the moment, about a third in to scanning a couple of hundred photos...

Terao:
My brother left Iraq a month ago, but he did not take any photos with him in the escape. This morning, he emailed me, requesting images of our late parents. I scanned some for him and emailed them to him.

What you are doing is great.

Raid

Old 12-25-2006   #18
back alley
IMAGES

my dad and i.

he died not too long afterwards...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dad 2.jpg (107.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg dad & i 001.jpg (30.4 KB, 24 views)

Old 12-25-2006   #19
raid
Dad Photographer

Joe: You are fortunate to have photos of your late dad. Thanks.

Raid

Old 12-25-2006   #20
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNick

Jim N.
Jim: Your family photo is awesome indeed. I wish I had such old photos as this one.

Raid

Old 12-25-2006   #21
Bryce

I'm very fortunate as far as family photos go. My great grandfather was trained as a photographer in Switzerland before he came to the new world, and his legacy is a nearly endless pile of his own dry plates, and the fact that his children were given cameras as graduation presents. They were also indoctrinated to save all negatives, always...
So while I haven't got access to the plates (another family member keeps them), I do have my grandmother's negatives from about 1930 on. Here's one from about that time, of her and my grandfather.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GandG.jpg (111.0 KB, 31 views)

Old 12-25-2006   #22
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce
I'm very fortunate as far as family photos go. My great grandfather was trained as a photographer in Switzerland before he came to the new world, and his legacy is a nearly endless pile of his own dry plates, and the fact that his children were given cameras as graduation presents. They were also indoctrinated to save all negatives, always...
So while I haven't got access to the plates (another family member keeps them), I do have my grandmother's negatives from about 1930 on. Here's one from about that time, of her and my grandfather.

Bryce: I hope that you can post additional photos from your grandmother's negatives. The posted photo is just great. You can feel the joy.

Raid

Old 12-25-2006   #23
Charlie

This one is not that old; it was taken on Christmas day, 2005. My twin sister, late mother and wife. My mother died of lung cancer about three weeks after this photo was taken.

Attachment 38524

Old 12-25-2006   #24
Uncle Bill

Location: Oakville (somewhere west of Toronto) Ontario, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid
Victor: Both photos look quite old. I don't have any family photos from the 20's. The car in the second photo looks interesting.

Bill: These photos are awesome portraits. I know what you mean when you say you got emotional. By the way, which camera is shown in the first photo?

I have added another family photo; it shows my brother and I when we lived for a short while in London (UK)in 1958. The stay was cut short by the 1958 revolution in Iraq in which the Republic of Iraq was created and King Faisal of Iraq with his entire family was killed.

Raid
Raid,
That was my dad's Nikon F with eyelevel prism circa I think 1960 or 61. He bought used in Montreal later in the 1960's around when I was born or just before. It became my camera after dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer along with the Leica M3, he gave them to me three weeks before passing on. Alex, my brother got the leica IIIG (stop drooling now), the Nikkormat FTn and the Topcon. It was a fair division of gear as the Nikon F had an early serial number 641xxxxx.

Bill

Old 12-25-2006   #25
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
Raid,
That was my dad's Nikon F with eyelevel prism circa I think 1960 or 61. He bought used in Montreal later in the 1960's around when I was born or just before. It became my camera after dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer along with the Leica M3, he gave them to me three weeks before passing on. Alex, my brother got the leica IIIG (stop drooling now), the Nikkormat FTn and the Topcon. It was a fair division of gear as the Nikon F had an early serial number 641xxxxx.

Bill

Bill: In my case, my father also was terminally ill with cancer, and he gave me a special ring weeks before his death. I made a huge mistake by selling his [broken] Zeiss Contina that I used for quite a few years. I should have kept it.
Here is a photo of him at a highschool gathering. [I guess, he was teaching]

Raid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amin family 7.jpg (119.9 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by raid : 12-26-2006 at 11:28.

Old 12-25-2006   #26
OldNick

Raid: Some of the earliest family photos that I have are these of my Dad's parents about the time they were married in 1896. Again, because the prints were somewhat spoiled by age before I received them, there was quite a bit of PS work to get to this point.

Jim N.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Abert Nichols2.JPG (102.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Louise Watrous Nichols2.JPG (112.9 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by OldNick : 12-25-2006 at 18:36.

Old 12-25-2006   #27
raid
Dad Photographer

Jim: What kind of cameras and film were used in 1896?

Raid

Old 12-25-2006   #28
BudGreen

Great thread, Raid. Here's one of my dad (in the car) with a neighborhood friend, and one with my grandfather, who just died a couple of months ago at 93. Both photos were take in in the early '40s in the Pittsburgh, PA area.

dad1.jpg dad2.jpg

Old 12-25-2006   #29
OldNick

Raid: I have no idea. These were apparently taken in North Mississippi, because, to my knowledge, they never traveled much. I would suspect that the camera was a wooden studio camera with a barrel lens and a Packard pneumatic shutter, probably 5x7 or 8x10. I have one packed away in my garage, but no lens. My late father-in-law used it for studio work in the 1940-1950 period, and it was quite old, but servicable, at that time.

Further research online led me to Dan Colucci's website, where he has information on his collection of cameras of this era. The "film" may very well have been dry glass plates.

Jim N.

http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/

Last edited by OldNick : 12-25-2006 at 21:36.

Old 12-25-2006   #30
ballfresno

Fantastic thread, Raid, especially at this time of year. I convinced my mother to bring out the box of photos and scanned a few. Here are my two favourites.

First, my maternal grandmother who died when my mother was 2:

Secondly, the class photo for my mother's graduating class in Cuenca (Spain):

Old 12-26-2006   #31
ChrisN
Striving

Raid - thanks for giving us the opportunity to share in this way.

The attached photo shows my mother, with me and my sister, in 1957. Mum passed away in 1992, and my sister in 2001. My father is a healthy 78, and still with us, remarried and dividing his time between California and Canberra. He was always behind the camera, so I can't find any early shots of him, apart from on his wedding day.

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 12-26-2006   #32
raid
Dad Photographer

The posted images are beautiful, and I want each of you to know that I definitely am not bored by any of the photos. This is a family focused and oriented thread, so such images are needed and requested.

In the end [whenever that may be], it may be funny to post two images of yourself side by side; one recent and one very old! You will see that my daughter Lina looks like me when I was two years old.

Raid

Old 12-26-2006   #33
raid
Dad Photographer

Here is another photo of my late father.

Raid
Attached Images
File Type: jpg amin family 3.jpg (63.9 KB, 15 views)

Great Grandmother Gig
Old 12-26-2006   #34
erudolph

Great Grandmother Gig

Old 12-27-2006   #35
raid
Dad Photographer

Aren't we lucky to have film preserve irreplacable moments in life.
These are wonderful photos with moving comments.

Raid

Old 12-28-2006   #36
reagan
hey, they're only Zorkis

There are some really great photographs in this thread. Thanks for taking the time to share yours.

Here's three of my favorites from our family gallery.

Photo 1: My great grandparents with my father & my aunt. If my father were alive he would be 95, so I'm guessing this photo to be maybe 88 yrs old.
Photo 2: My mother in Yokohama, 1952.
Photo 3: The fam (pre-little brother). That's me behind sis, having a GAS attack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Great grandparents760.JPG (100.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg mother760.JPG (73.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg family760.jpg (66.6 KB, 14 views)

Old 12-28-2006   #37
MelanieC

I'm at my mom's for the holidays and have just discovered some of my father's old photo albums. These are pretty old albums. They are full of photos of his last girlfriend before my mother, who somewhat resembled Sandy Duncan. I wonder where she is now.

Anyway, I digress. They're full of great old photos going back to before my father moved to the States (that was in 1958). I don't have my scanner handy so I can't share most of them but I did find one photo of my dad on vacation with his M3 (or at least the case) over his shoulder. I believe this photo is from 1968 or 1969.