Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder

Epson R-D1 Leica M mount Digital Rangefinder A dedicated forum to the first Digital Leica M mount rangefinder camera.

RD-1 and the Rollei 35 RF lens
Old 01-17-2005   #1
mfs

RD-1 and the Rollei 35 RF lens

A brief sojurn to B+H yesterday revealed the following, the RD-1 goes in and out of stock. Read that as some folks are willing to purchase even at that price, or the numbers of RD-1's is quite limited, and is being shipped in limited quantities even to B+H.

But, I digress. The real find was the price of the Rollei 40mm Sonnar lens. It is available separately form the camera, and lens "kit." The cost is $550.

What do the august members of this forum feel about the RD-1, Rollei 40 mm lens combo??

Same question but the combination is RD-1 + Konica 28mm lens, and Konica 21-35 mm lens.

I would really appreciate your thoughts, and experiences. I have heard that the 28 mm lens is a keeper, but the 21-35 mm lens is to be avoided.

Thank you.

Old 01-17-2005   #2
jlw
Rangefinder camera pedant

1) Remember that the R-D1 has no 40mm frameline.

2) You'd really have to be a believer in the mystical virtues of the Sonnar name to pay that big a premium over either the 40mm f/1.4 Nokton (assuming you really want a 40) or 35/1.7 Ultron...

Old 01-17-2005   #3
Huck Finn

If you haven't done so, I'd read Sean Reid's review on Luminous Landscape ( www.luminouslandscape.com ) of lenses for the RD-1. He posted here numerous times about it. He liked the CV 28/1.9 so much, he bought one after testing it. His discussion of resolution & contrast is expecially interesting.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=352'>My Gallery</a>

Old 01-18-2005   #4
Huck Finn

MFS, I don't know if you had a chance to look at the article. Sean's point seems to be that older lenses that aren't as contrasty as modern lenses may work better with the RD-1. so, you may be onto something. The Rollei 40 Sonnar is this kind of lens - sharp but not overly sharp. I have only used it with film, so I can't comment beyond that. good luck.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=352'>My Gallery</a>

Old 01-18-2005   #5
David Kieltyka
Clicking away feverishly

The R-D1's 35mm frame lines are a perfect match for a 40mm lens. Framing is accurate at all distances. I don't own the Sonnar but I do have the Summicron-C and the Nokton. Both are fine lenses...I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.

-Dave-