Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

Why Zeiss delay?
Old 12-07-2004   #1
Huck Finn

Why Zeiss delay?

Cosina has posted an apology on the Zeiss page of their website for a delay of the Zeiss lenses. I can't get a translation of the details. Does anyone here read Japanese? Allen Gilman, are you out there?

www.cosina.co.jp

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=352'>My Gallery</a>

Old 12-07-2004   #2
taffer
void

Maybe to help us poor members to save a bit more money for them ?

JK, that's a pity, but I seriously doubt I could afford any of them...

Old 12-07-2004   #3
Brian Sweeney

I caught a look at the new Sonnar 85mm F2. I wonder how it compares with my Nikkor...

Old 12-07-2004   #4
Huck Finn

Brian, I think that "Sonnar" is a misnoma by Zeiss for this lens. Look at the Zeiss Ikon page on the 85/2. That drawing of the lens elements doesn't look like a Sonnar to me; it looks like a Planar. So, I wouldn't expect it to compare with your Nikkor, which is a classic Sonnar with distinctive fingerprints all its own. This new 85/2 may be a great lens, but it's a symmetrical design & I don't expect it to have the same look as the classic Sonnars.

<a href='http://www.rangefinderforum.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=352'>My Gallery</a>

Old 12-07-2004   #5
CleverName

Huck, I've used the babel fish to translate web pages. I couldn't find the apology, but I could translate much of the text. Babel fish won't work on text that's in pictures.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Old 12-07-2004   #6
Huck Finn

Thanks for the suggestion, CleverName.

Yeah, I tried babelfish, but . . . Down at the bottom of the first Zeiss page are 3 announcements, most recent first. The first of these says "Apology for delay of Zeiss ZM mount lens sale." But when you click on this item, you get an untranslated page. I then tried to process the url of this specific page through babelfish. No luck. So, I can only fall back on my ability to read Japanese . . . which is zero. LOL