Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Other RF

Other RF Forum for the many Rangefinder cameras that do not have a dedicated RFF forum.

contax rf accessoires?
Old 11-23-2004   #1
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

contax rf accessoires?

Sorry - i'm still in the contax fever.
I wonder about a few things, thought some knowledgeable RFF members would be kind to give some answers.

The never-ready case that I received together with the contax iiia is with one foot in the grave. Very dirty, very dusty, the leather is dry-rotting-disassembling continuously producing yellow dust and fibers. I will not put the camera and lens, cleaned, back into that Thing. Any suggestion as to what would be a good replacement for it? I tried a yashica GSN case but does not fit. Sources (or direct offers) of cheap original contax cases are welcome too. I want to proitect this thing a bit.

The lens (50/1.5 sonnar)came without a cap or hood. It has a weird 40.5mm screw filtersize and a 42mm clip-on size(i think). I'd like to have it capped and i'd love to have a fitting hood for it - i agree 100% with the little "article" written here on RFF by Bill Mattocks. However, i'd prefer a clip-on or clip-in, not a screw-in type. Any suggestions that would work? Brand name does not matter, as long as it fits and does not vignette.

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2004   #2
jdos2

Um...

For my Sonnar 1.5 I use a GYGUNDA hood for the Mamiya Universal 100 (older, chrome lens, the one I don't have) which slides on and clamps. Piece of cake, and is over 50mm long, meaning that it does a GREAT job.

For the never-ready, I believe that a simple Kiev case would work. They seem t be made of much sterner (Soviet era) animals. If you'd like on, I have... Something like a zillion (#Cases=#J8's, and I'm full of J8's too).

40.5 isn't too odd a filter size. Just bought a Wratten 25 in it. Again, FSU filters might be a good bet.

Old 11-23-2004   #3
Honu-Hugger

Hello Pherdi,
I have an extensive collection of original Zeiss caps, but I don't use them in the field -- they are slip-on, or "slip-off" as I prefer to call them. I use generic 40.5mm plastic snap caps for everyday use. Original Zeiss hoods for the 50mm can be found, but not everyday and they go for around $30.00 on eBay. The correct Zeiss number is 1119 and it is a screw-in hood. When in the field I use a snap-cap (63mm) or Op/Tech hood over the lens hood, leaving it mounted to the lens. The original hood measures 64mm diameter and depth of 27mm, 40.5mm mount. There are plenty of suitable non-Zeiss hoods that work.

As for a case: if you are looking for function I would look into the Op/Tech rangefinder case made for Leicas -- I keep meaning to buy a couple myself but keep forgetting (maybe this will remind me). Op/Tech has a website. I'll also check my stash -- I may have a decent original case (I don't use them so I put them away into storage -- I'll check for you).

D2

Last edited by Honu-Hugger : 11-23-2004 at 11:07.

Old 11-23-2004   #4
Honu-Hugger

Pherdi,
Here's a picture of a Zeiss hood.

D2

Old 11-24-2004   #5
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

Thanks, JD and D2! I'll look into these, hope to find something soon.

Re: contax rf accessoires?
Old 11-24-2004   #6
furcafe

Re: contax rf accessoires?

You're correct, most Contax RF lenses take a 40.5mm screw-in (42mm slip-on) filter/hood (main exception being the 85/2 Sonnar, which takes 49mm/51mm). If you're a stickler for historic accuracy, the proper hood model #s for the post-WWII 50/1.5 Sonnar are 1119 S (for 40.5mm screw-in) & 1115 A (for 42mm slip-on). Because the Zeiss Ikon hoods are kind of big & conspicuous, I personally use (& recommend) the vented 40.5mm hoods made by Walz (also under the Kenko & Hoya brands)--they can be found on eBay for around $20-30, sometimes together w/filters. If you're really committed to a slip-on hood, I would recommend a pre-WWII 42mm model (the # escapes me @ the moment, but they're black & marked "42"), which are smaller than the post-WWII variety (it may be easier to find a Soviet-era version made for the Jupiter lenses for the Kiev cameras).

Quote:
Originally posted by Pherdinand
Sorry - i'm still in the contax fever.
I wonder about a few things, thought some knowledgeable RFF members would be kind to give some answers.

. . .

The lens (50/1.5 sonnar)came without a cap or hood. It has a weird 40.5mm screw filtersize and a 42mm clip-on size(i think). I'd like to have it capped and i'd love to have a fitting hood for it - i agree 100% with the little "article" written here on RFF by Bill Mattocks. However, i'd prefer a clip-on or clip-in, not a screw-in type. Any suggestions that would work? Brand name does not matter, as long as it fits and does not vignette.

Thanks!
Five a Second. Chicago's Bell & Howell Co. (cameras) announced that it would put on sale this fall the world's most expensive still camera. Its "Foton" will take five 35-mm. pictures a second, sell for $700. Bell & Howell, which has found that "families of both low and high incomes now spend over $550" for movie equipment, hopes to sell 20,000 Fotons a year.
--Facts And Figures, Time magazine, Monday, October 4, 1948
My Photoblog

My Flickr stream

My RFF Gallery

My Instagram