Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: how often do you view the gallery
i view the gallery regularly & always leave feedback 2 6.90%
i view the gallery regularly & sometimes leave feedback 19 65.52%
i view the gallery regularly & never leave feedback 2 6.90%
i sometimes view the gallery 6 20.69%
i never view the gallery 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

gallery viewing
Old 11-13-2004   #1
back alley
IMAGES

gallery viewing

i'm just curious as to how many people view the gallery and of those how many offer feedback.

i know for me i do not offer alot of feedback. i have difficulty putting into words the impact that most photos have on me.
i also have a concern about looking like i might know something about 'art'.
i have, however, been trying to overcome that and offer up some words more consistantly.

joe

Old 11-13-2004   #2
rover

Well, I don't always leave feedback, but more than sometimes.

Millennium M6TTL with Voigtlander 35/1.2 Nokton

rover's world at flickr

Old 11-13-2004   #3
That Guy
Ubiquitous Fella

I view on occasion, mostly to see what others are doing. Sometimes it's to look for examples from lenses or film. Other times for composition. But about half the time, just for pleasure.

Old 11-13-2004   #4
Bubba
RF Newbee

A lot of the times I don't leave feedback because others have already said how I feel and I don't want to come off as a "me too" guy. The problem is that there are so many pictures in the galleries that I like. I tend to only leave comments for pictures I like. If I don't like a photo, I don't comment. I really like it when people give me constructive criticism on my images, but don't feel qualified to give it out. Does that make me weird?

Old 11-13-2004   #5
FrankS

I worry about sounding like a know it all when I offer comments. A photograph is a very personal thing and to have it criticised, even contructively may touch a tender spot. It may be helpful if the poster asks for opinions about a particular aspect of the photograph, something they're not sure of, rather than leaving it wide open.

photography makes me happy

Old 11-13-2004   #6
denishr
アナログ侘・寂

I just love getting *any* kind of comments on my photos
I try to be constructive in providing comments to others, but I usually comment on the photos which I find "interesting" in any way - pleasing, unusual, whatever... Being a non-native English speaker it's sometimes difficult to express verbally the aesthetic merits, so I usually refrain to technical/compositional aspects. Also, I don't feel very competent in providing comments. I am not an art critic, but after so many years of appreciating "good" photography and seeing so many works of the masters, I think I can tell a good photograph from a bad one. I'm not into "avantgarde", though
Still, after seeing so many stunning photos in the gallery, I often feel totally inadequate, both as a "photographer" and as a "critic".

Denis

Old 11-13-2004   #7
sfaust

I view a lot and sometimes leave feedback. I also don't want to come across as someone who thinks they know it all, so many times its just positive reinforcement. But at times I also feel that leaving constructive comments is a huge benefit to others. I really appreciate it when others leave those types of comments for me. I may or may not agree with them, but an image is personal, and I always like to know how others would approach a subject. Rarely do I take it personal unless its done as a personal attack, or with a complete lack of tact.

Old 11-13-2004   #8
taffer
void

Just like Rover I view and leave feedback more than sometimes, but not always. I appreciate comments and I think others feel the same. Even though I *try* to be constructive I admit I've left some 'wows', 'love it' or 'great!' which add nothing constructive...

In my defense I'll say they were 'wow', 'love it' or 'great' pictures :-)

I've got some pretty hard critiques from a friend on some of my pics and even though it always hurts a bit, with time it has always been possitive.

Sometimes you need to be shaked to change your point of view.

Always respectfully, of course

Old 11-13-2004   #9
peter_n
~

I view occasionally and leave comments sometimes too. I try to be constructive and say why I like something, usually it's about the composition or subject/background stuff. I appreciate comments too.

I belong to a number of photo forums, and this is the only place I have posted a few pictures in a gallery. I guess I feel safe here...

My RFF Gallery

Old 11-13-2004   #10
GeneW

I like viewing the gallery. I'm often inspired by the works of others and there is some very strong work there.

Time, however, is an issue. I haven't time to comment on every image I see, so I kind of randomly comment on images that catch my eye for one reason or another and try to spread out the comments to as many of the members as I can.

I see the gallery more as a 'sharing' exercise than a 'critiquing' exercise. I'm just happy to look at the many fine images and maybe leave a 'Nice!' to the photographer...

Gene

Old 11-13-2004   #11
Peter
Voigtlander Mann

I feel that just leaving an appreciative note would encourage photographers to go out and take more photos. I admit that I am not trained in critique but I would try to leave encouraging comments if I see something I like.

My RFF Gallery
My PBase Gallery

Old 11-13-2004   #12
Honu-Hugger

Sometimes I feel like the ghost of the gallery -- I love hanging out there when time permits: looking at the new posts, reloading the random images and then visiting a gallery of a photo I find particularly interesting. I try to leave comments as often as time permits, and always constructively (I don't feel qualified to critique anyone's work). This is a talented group and I am constantly in awe of what I see in the gallery.

D2

Old 11-14-2004   #13
GeneW

I have only one niggle about the gallery, and that's with the photographers who don't add technical information to their images. I find that somewhat discourteous and don't leave comments if the photographer has provided no, or very little, information. We all learn from seeing what various cameras and lenses are capable of, and we're a technical bunch who are interested in the details.

Gene

Old 11-14-2004   #14
back alley
IMAGES

good point gene.
i know when i see a really good shot the first thing i do is look at the tech details, especially what focal length lens was used, usually followed by film choice.

joe

Old 11-14-2004   #15
Bubba
RF Newbee

Thanks Joe and Gene for making me not feel alone. I don't know why, but I really like reading details about equipment used as well as technique. After looking at a photo, the first thing I look for is the details about the camera, lens, film, etc. I especially like it when people leave a little information about the story of the photo itself. Sometimes the story is just as interesting as the photo. I recall a recent story told by Bill Mattocks about his adventures on Veterans Day that was just as good as the photos he shared.

Old 11-14-2004   #16
peter_n
~

I like the technical details too. In particular lens, filter (if any), f stop and shutter speed, film used and film rating. The body I don't care about as much although if people fill in the tech details they also tend to put the body in as well.

My RFF Gallery

Old 11-14-2004   #17
HBC

I view the galleries every time I log on to this site. I think the work here is great, but Iam not confident in my writing to give my opinion if I do I try to keep it brief, also I like to see the different types of cameras and lenses in action, and how the may compare to what I have, it's great to see an image made with a J8 or helios or a summicron or a fed 2 with an industar some of this images prove that it is not the camera but rather the photographers eye that takes the picture, of course there is a great difference between a cron and a j8 besides the price. sharpness of course.