Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Dry bubble level in Mamiya 7 accessory finder
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
ka7197

Dry bubble level in Mamiya 7 accessory finder

I acquired a used Mamiya finder for the N 43 mm L lens. The bubble level has dried out—apparently a frequent issue with these finders. The top of the bubble level looks as if it could be unscrewed. Has anybody ever fixed one of those dried-out levels? If so, what kind of liquid goes there? Oil, alcohol, water ...?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
Niko

I would simply replace the bubble level. Mamiya part number is: Y25732

Ask https://www.precisioncameraworks.com if they have those.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
Steve M.

If it unscrews, just put some water in it. You can usually find small bubble levels at a hardware store or even Walmart.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #4
Niko

Problem with those levels from a hardware store is that you can´t see through them but can only be viewed from the top. At least that´s what i found out when replacing the bubble on my Xpan viewfinder, finally bought the original spare.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5
EdSawyer

I've replaced these before. They are glued in, not screwed in. You can remove them with a small pointed spanner wrench, the glue is not super strong. The replacements from MAC at the time were about $30-40 as I recall. They are sealed and not user-refillable, sadly. It would be nice to know if they are still available from precisioncameraworks.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #6
Nokton48

Luckily my 43mm Mamiya finder came with levels fully filled.
Still, do they have replacements?

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #7
ka7197

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
I've replaced these before. They are glued in, not screwed in. You can remove them with a small pointed spanner wrench, the glue is not super strong. [...] They are sealed and not user-refillable, sadly.
Thank you very much! This is the information I was looking for. So I'll have to find a spare part ...

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #8
Karlovak

I've used my 50mm finder just fine without the level. It came with the bubble piece missing.

Gathers dust though, so I might be interested as well. Did you write to PCW?

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
mooge

Don't put water in it! Use something that won't freeze - the internet seems to say ethanol or mineral oil.