Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Leica Elmar 50mm 3.5 Front Element Removal?
Old 01-13-2018   #1
Kumachrome

Leica Elmar 50mm 3.5 Front Element Removal?

Hello,
I have a Leica 50mm 3.5 Elmar with a good bit of dust inside. It's the type with the front element retaining ring that has the notches for a spanner wrench. I want to remove the front lens element so I can remove the dust. However, I can't seem to remove it. I remove the front ring easily, then there's a small black plastic spacer under this, which I take off. But, I can't get the actual lens out. I've read and seen that it should easily come out with a piece of tape. But not for me. Any suggestions on how I can remove it? Aside from just sending it off?
Thanks.

Old 01-14-2018   #2
Jaymz007

Need to use a suction tool from micro-tools.com
to get a good hold of the glass.
Also are you sure you have removed everything so that the lens can come out?

Old 01-14-2018   #3
mcfingon
Western Australia

You can buy a manual (and tools if necessary) from Nobby Sparrow in Japan. I used it to dismantle a 50/3.5:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/How-to-Clea...-/301949825873

Old 02-07-2018   #4
dd786

Sorry for bring back an old thread guys but i have a question. Does anyone know the size/diameter of the retaining ring on this 50 3.5 elmar LTM and the 50 2.8 LTM version? I have decided to get the rubber stopper-like spanner wrenches instead of the metal compass (maths/circle drawing) type because they might be safer but i need to make sure i get the correct sizes.

Old 02-07-2018   #5
d_c

I'm guessing that the retaining ring for the f3.5 version has an external 19 x 0.5 mm thread - it's the same as the filters for the Elmar. Not sure about the f2.8 version.