Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: After taking pictures, how often do you think of other ideas you could have tried?
Never 0 0%
Rarely 12 19.05%
Pretty frequently 32 50.79%
Nearly always 12 19.05%
Every time 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Missed opportunities
Old 10-12-2004   #1
JohnL
Very confused

Missed opportunities

When you get back from taking some pictures, how often do you think of other ideas you could have tried, but didn't think of at the time?

Old 10-12-2004   #2
wierdcollector
Keeper of The Horde

Every time. I think 20/20 hindsight is more common than we believe.

Old 10-12-2004   #3
wierdcollector
Keeper of The Horde

Hey, when did I become a "Rangefinder Pro" ? Most days I'm lucky if I remember to put film in my camera and take the cap off.

Old 12-02-2004   #4
matu
Pablo Maturana

It seems that the eye is faster than mind.
Sometimes the ghost of picture not taken follows me home.
I like B&W becouse i feel free to experiment and shoot weird stuff, usually is just a waste of film but Im glad when I got it right. If I could develope my own color shots I`d be more impulsive taking pictures.
Canon P

Summicron 35/2 IV
Summitar 50/2
Elmar 9cm
Elmar 3,5cm
Canon 50/1.2
CV Color Heliar 75/2.5
Industar 50 Collapsable.
Black Jupiter 9 and

Old 12-02-2004   #5
FrankS

"...ghost of the picture not taken..."

I like that turn of a phrase!

photography makes me happy

Old 12-02-2004   #6
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankS
"...ghost of the picture not taken..."

I like that turn of a phrase!
Me too. Thaks matu. I may use that sometime if you don't mind.

Unfortunately some of them have followed me for years.

Actually, I guess it is fortunate. Hopefully it keeps me sharper when I am out taking photos.

Old 12-02-2004   #7
peter_n
~

Welcome matu!! Chile, awesome!!

Here's the key: When you get back... I checked off "pretty frequently" because I'm in the habit of sticking around after I take a picture. Sometimes interesting things happen...

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-02-2004   #8
matu
Pablo Maturana

Quote:
Originally posted by peter_n
Welcome matu!! Chile, awesome!!

Here's the key: When you get back... I checked off "pretty frequently" because I'm in the habit of sticking around after I take a picture. Sometimes interesting things happen...
Thanks for the welcome, this place is terrific.
I thoguht I was kind of romantic wasting time with old junk.
Im newby and amateur in photography but this is an excellent place to Learn and share.
Canon P

Summicron 35/2 IV
Summitar 50/2
Elmar 9cm
Elmar 3,5cm
Canon 50/1.2
CV Color Heliar 75/2.5
Industar 50 Collapsable.
Black Jupiter 9 and

Old 12-02-2004   #9
Roman

I voted for 'Rarely' - not because I'm that good, but because it is the other way round with me - I often have a specific idea for a picture in my head, and try to find subjects so that I can recreate that in a picture - more often than not, something is wrong (wrong light, wrong people in wrong places, etc.). This may not be the most efficient way of picture-taking, since I often miss opportunities for other pics, I guess, but I'm working on that - using RFs more frequently is helping here, since it is much easier to take a quick picture of a scene seen accidentally, than e.g. with an MF SLR and a tripod - you might say I'm on my way from Ansel Adams to HCB... (oops, I guess I should cut back on the nice Rioja I'm drinking for my one-man birthday party... )

Roman

My Flickr gallery

Last edited by Roman : 12-02-2004 at 13:49.

Old 12-02-2004   #10
peter_n
~

this place is terrific

Indeed it is matu and you will find lots of friendly folk here who are also very willing to learn and share... Don't forget to tell us if you upload a few pics into your gallery!

My RFF Gallery

Old 12-02-2004   #11
DougK
This space left blank

Welcome matu!

Peter, I think you made an excellent point above about interesting things happening after the shot. Case in point...

I don't have the photo to go with the story yet (it's at the lab), but I was taking pictures of a cute young aquarist feeding the loggerhead turtle at the Key West Aquarium on Monday. I took my first picture and then just stood there watching for a bit to kind of take things in without the camera in the way. The aquarist noticed me watching and started chatting with me. She admitted that she loved taking pictures of Floyd (the turtle) as well and arranged her position and feeding so that I could get some better shots of the whole scene, all without me ever asking for a posed shot. Much more natural for her, looked better in the viewfinder than my original shot, and I got to meet a nice person in the process. A similar thing happened when I was watching one of the street artists painting on Duval Street, also in Key West. I never would have gotten these pictures I did had I used my usual "grab the shot and run to the next photo op" technique.

Definitely a lesson learned for me.

Old 03-11-2005   #12
canonetc
canonetc

Great question. Only since using an SLR digital have I started hindsight-thinking shots. When shooting RF, I tend to do the 1-2 shot method, then wait for the results after processing without hindsight. I have done a lot of might-have-been's, however, whenever I forget to load film into the Leica!

canonetc

Old 03-16-2005   #13
reellis67
Analog Junkie

I almost always feel rushed and miss shots that I could have made. Sometimes I can get them later and sometimes not. The pace of life today makes it just about a given that I will not have the time to consider every opportunity at hand at any given time. Ah well, just more ideas for next time!

- Randy