Leica M7 Light Leak
Old 08-10-2016   #1
willlly

Leica M7 Light Leak

Hey guys,

Long time reader, first time posting!

I've had a M7 for a little over 12 months now, and I've noticed in a few photos every now and then I'm getting a light leak. It's always in the same spot.

I've used 2 different lenses - a Voigtlander 40mm f1.4 and a Voigtlander 28mm f2 and both have shown the same leak - so my assumption is that it must be the M7 body causing it ..

I'd just like some confirmation / wondering if anyone could share if they've had anything similar

I've included 3 examples, but there are a few more here on Dropbox - https://goo.gl/opEitG

Much appreciated,
Willy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg X-1-2.jpg (74.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg X-2.jpg (42.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg X-4.jpg (30.2 KB, 8 views)

Old 08-10-2016   #2
Mr_Flibble

It's coming in from somewhere at the top right of the camera. I'm not sure if the purple sheen to the leak means it's coming from the back of the film. If it was in front I would expect it to be a white fog without the purple sheen.

I'm guessing light is leaking in through the top housing, light coming through the VF/RF windows.

Latest Toys: Kinax II
Latest Activity: Too many flea markets

Old 08-10-2016   #3
Robert Lai

Check the film door on the back, near the top hinge. There is felt or foam which acts as a light seal. Perhaps this has become dislodged in your camera.

Alternatively, also check the lens mount throat to be sure that a collapsible lens has not scraped off paint somewhere, causing a shiny spot.