Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

canon IIF slow speed dial removal
Old 07-21-2016   #1
Vintage35

canon IIF slow speed dial removal

I can't for the life of me get the slow speed dial off the front of my IIF I'm screwed without being able to get it off as it is the last step to removing the shell. there is a 'retaining ring' under the knurled knob. I got the knob off but have nearly destroyed the slots for the spanner on said ring. it won't budge is it glued or something?

Old 07-21-2016   #2
rfaspen

Ahhhh. I've been exactly there with my IIF and suffered the same desperation. It's not glued in, but the fit of the split spanner must be perfect and then it will unscrew nicely. I stopped trying once I started to really mangle those little slots. Then I went to the thrift store and bought a few large-ish screwdrivers and brought them home to my grinder. (I bought multiple big screwdrivers just in case I messed up, and to make sure I had one of an appropriate size) I laid out the spacing of spanner prongs and estimated depth of the cutout between on the screwdriver with a sharpie, then started with a stationary grinding wheel (the corner of the wheel) to remove some central material. Then put the screwdriver in a vise with the blade up and used my Dremel tool with cutoff wheels to finely remove material and make a 2-pronged wrench that fit the retaining ring perfectly. It was a slow iterative process, and I also had to fine tune the thickness and width of the 2 small blades so that everything fit perfect and snug into the retaining ring. Then, the thing unscrewed so very nicely and easily. If I had to make another tool today, I'd skip the stationary grinder but the Dremel process did take a bit longer. Its just that I have better fine control with the Dremel.

Believe me, it unscrews, but it won't work if you try using two small screwdrivers at the same time. I also tried using dividers, and other makeshift tools. That only mangled the slots. And I also wondered if the ring was glued in, or if it was left-hand thread (which it's not). A case of needing the exact proper tool.

Old 07-22-2016   #3
Vintage35

Thanks, Its pretty mangled now might have to repair the slots before I try your fix

Old 07-23-2016   #4
Vintage35

Ok , I got it!!! Thank you for the suggestion I made a crude tool out of a screwdriver, re-drilled the slots and it came right out. I don't understand why it didn't before but it's out now