35 Summilux Pre Asph Hood - Redux
Old 05-24-2016   #1
michaelwj
----------------

35 Summilux Pre Asph Hood - Redux

So I recently got a 35 summilux pre ash, complete with the original 12504 Leica hood. While the original hood is okay, the tabs really get in the way of the aperture and my copy is bit loose. On top of all this, it's a pain changing filters and it's expensive - so having two (one with a UV and one with a yellow for instance) so I don't have to mess around unscrewing the hood over and over would be out of the question.

A very quick search revealed that I'm not the only one who has sought an alternative solution. In particular, this thread had a wealth of information: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=80916 and I found RichC's idea very neat: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...3&postcount=20
Now, there is talk about the (37mm or 39mm) filter mounted in the front of this hood causing vignetting which is understandable as it is smaller than the front of the lens. I don't believe the hood by itself would cause vignetting int he corners - it's a rectangle so the corners are actually well out of the way. I also (non-scientifically) tested the naked hood on the lens and found none.
So what I was after was a clamp mounted to a Leica 12524(6) hood to stop it rotating, with the largest possible filter mounted as close to the front element as possible. No gluing so I can swap parts out if the filter gets scratched, but not necessarily "hot-swappable".

Here is my solution:

And here is how I made it:

The parts you'll need:
1 x Leica 12524 hood (the spring clamp is removed, so if that bit's broken all good)
1 X 42mm clamp on hood - I used a Minolta D42KA cause it was cheap
1 X filter glass - The glass (no mount) needs to be between 43.7 and 46.6mm - I used a Pentax 49mm filter which fits perfectly.

First, remove the clamp(s) from their respective hoods and the glass from the filter. Remember that you need the clamp from the clamp on hood and the hood from the Leica hood! You can see on the Minolta clamp the lip that held the hood in place - this gets removed later.

I made a small cut on the Leica hood to remove the clamp - it also allows the screw clamp from the other hood somewhere to go.

Check that the filter glass is going to fit inside the hood, there is a lip that normally stops the Leica clamp from moving to far forward

I then filed down the brass clamp to reduce it's diameter to about 0.8mm larger than the ID of where it is going to fit. This makes it very tight so it doesn't rotate at all, and takes some pushing to remove.
I also filed the front face of the clamp flush (the lip in photo #2) - there is still a small lip to stop it sliding all the way onto the lens, but it is very thin. If it has to be removed completely, then the filter glass will stop it going on too far. The aim here is to have the hood the same distance forward as with its normal clamp and has the filter glass as close to the lens as possible. Here are all the parts ready to go - you can see the exposed brass where it has been filed.

Assembled from the side - you can see the lip that stops the clamp sliding too far on This is very this and doesn't encroach at all into the field of view. I chose to put the screw on the RHS (from using the camera). Basically you can point it anywhere, just cut into the plastic. Down it interferes too much with the focus for my big hands. On this side it gets in the way when selecting apertures smaller than f/8 but otherwise is okay. As always, YMMV so make a choice. I don't think there is a perfect choice though (maybe up?!).

And mounted

I've done some test shots to test for vignetting, but I haven't developed the roll yet ...
A bit of matt black paint wouldn't go astray!
If it works, I'll make another one with a UV filter and just swap when I need to. The whole lot (not including my time!) cost about A$100, so about the same as a Leica Series 7 filter.

Anyway, that turned out to be a long post!

EDIT: I know that the photos are rubbish, my only digital camera is an iPhone. I understand the irony of posting such bad photos on a photography forum

Old 05-24-2016   #2
maddoc
... likes film.

Very, very helpful and interesting approach to this Summilux problem. I was one of the persons trying to mount some filter with a rubber o-ring into a 15256 hood but gave up on that solution because no filter changing possibility.

flickr
pBase

Old 05-25-2016   #3
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Very, very helpful and interesting approach to this Summilux problem. I was one of the persons trying to mount some filter with a rubber o-ring into a 15256 hood but gave up on that solution because no filter changing possibility.

Yes, I remember! I believe you were using plumbers tape to stop the rotation and getting some coner vignetting from the filter?

Alas the problem of swapping filters easily is still not solved...
Initially I'll keep a yellow filter in this hood, and use the 12504 hood for alternate filters.

Old 05-25-2016   #4
jmilkins
Digited User

Excellent work "Q"!

I particularly like photo 2 where you continue the relationship between Leitz and Minolta.

My gallery
The FlickR

"To ∞, and beyond!" B. Lightyear, 1995.

Old 05-26-2016   #5
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelwj View Post
Yes, I remember! I believe you were using plumbers tape to stop the rotation and getting some coner vignetting from the filter?

Alas the problem of swapping filters easily is still not solved...
Initially I'll keep a yellow filter in this hood, and use the 12504 hood for alternate filters.
I had no problems with rotation of the hood but dark corners from the to far filter position.

flickr
pBase

Old 05-26-2016   #6
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
I had no problems with rotation of the hood but dark corners from the to far filter position.
Must have been another who used the tape - it seemed a bit inelegant to me

Old 05-26-2016   #7
michaelwj
----------------

After taking, developing, and scanning a whole bunch of shots of a white wall I confirm that I see no difference in terms of vignetting between my hack, the 12504 round hood, and no hood.
I can't believe how boring that was.

Old 05-26-2016   #8
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilkins View Post
Excellent work "Q"!

I particularly like photo 2 where you continue the relationship between Leitz and Minolta.
Is that where they are joined again, or when Minolta is destroyed for Leitz's benefit!?

Another Hood Solution
Old 05-27-2016   #9
Rapierwitman

Another Hood Solution

Hi all.......this has been a reference thread for me so I thought I'd post the solution I found for the hood question.

Kodak 42mm Series VI slip on adaptor with a Leica UVa Series VI filter dropped in. These adaptors were silver alloy but I've sprayed this one matte black to match. Changing filters is very easy and it fits very well, no movement at all.

Adaptors are hard to find but they are out there.

Pictures.....Before & After
Old 05-28-2016   #10
Rapierwitman

Pictures.....Before & After

Here are the pictures before & after. I'm testing for vignetting but it should be fine as the filter is wider than the front of the lens. In fact, not too far different to the 12504 hood I have.

Anyway the test roll across all apertures is souping now and I should have my answer shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3029.jpg (24.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3052.jpg (20.4 KB, 37 views)

Old 05-28-2016   #11
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapierwitman View Post
Here are the pictures before & after. I'm testing for vignetting but it should be fine as the filter is wider than the front of the lens. In fact, not too far different to the 12504 hood I have.

Anyway the test roll across all apertures is souping now and I should have my answer shortly.
Nice, I wonder if you could fit a hood to the adapter..?

Old 05-28-2016   #12
Rapierwitman

First roll out and I can't see any vignetting or edge darkness from wide open down.

All looking good!

Old 05-28-2016   #13
Rapierwitman

Quote:
Nice, I wonder if you could fit a hood to the adapter..?
If it's compatible with a Series VI front adaptor ring then should be fine. I'm also hoping the relative straightness of the ring sides will act as a bit of a hood to stop stray flare. The 12504 frankly is not very good at this at all.

Old 05-28-2016   #14
Rapierwitman

Some more pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg post-28858-0-09250000-1464370285.jpg (18.0 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg post-28858-0-60325200-1464370292.jpg (17.5 KB, 12 views)

Old 05-28-2016   #15
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Some more pictures.
Hood aside it looks like a very nice compact filter solution for this lens.

(Patiently waiting for your vignetting report )

Old 06-02-2016   #16
Rapierwitman

Oops, sorry, wrote too soon. Slight dark corners wide open and about 2 stops down after scanning the negs. I may have a solution for this though.

I'm going to try a thinner front ring on the adaptior and run another roll through.

Bear with me, I will solve this!

Old 06-02-2016   #17
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
Oops, sorry, wrote too soon. Slight dark corners wide open and about 2 stops down after scanning the negs. I may have a solution for this though.

I'm going to try a thinner front ring on the adaptior and run another roll through.

Bear with me, I will solve this!
I'm hoping! It looks like the best indoors no hood protection option for keeping the whole package small. But it needs to work wide open.

I've seen similar filter adapters from tiffen, any different to the Kodak ones?

Old 06-05-2016   #18
Rapierwitman

Having looked at the 12504 widths and compared to the Kodak adaptor I think it's the width of the series VI filter that is causing the problem. The Kodak base width is exactly the same as the 12504 but when the filter is dropped in there is some overhang. I'll see if I can find a thin screw in filter for the front of the adaptor and avoid the drop in altogether. I'm hoping a 43.5mm screw in filter will work.

Old 06-06-2016   #19
Rapierwitman

43.5mm doesn't quite get the threads. If I taped it it might but I'm not keen on that.

Anyway, I've just found the series VI front width and apparently it is 44mm, however it would appear 44mm clear filters do not exist at all.

Next solution, 44mm step up ring to 49mm and fingers crossed. It'll still be quite compact.

Will keep you posted but the step up ring is going to take a little while to arrive.

Old 06-07-2016   #20
michaelwj
----------------

Quote:
43.5mm doesn't quite get the threads. If I taped it it might but I'm not keen on that.

Anyway, I've just found the series VI front width and apparently it is 44mm, however it would appear 44mm clear filters do not exist at all.

Next solution, 44mm step up ring to 49mm and fingers crossed. It'll still be quite compact.

Will keep you posted but the step up ring is going to take a little while to arrive.
Intriguing...

Old 06-08-2016   #21
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I've always turned the hood so that the tabs are at 12:00 and 6:00 when looking at the camera from the front. I don't find the need to change filters all that often, and since the 21 Super-Angulon uses the same filters I've gathered a decent set for color and B&W.

Old 06-22-2016   #22
Rapierwitman

Okay....44mm-49mm step up ring did the trick and fits the Kodak adaptor perfectly. I can live with the larger frontage and don't think it looks too out of place.

I can now just change the 49mm filter as and when needed. I have a Q as well so bizarrely now have a compatible filter set between the two.

Step up ring was 2.50
Kodak adaptor was 5
Black paint was 6

All in say 13.50.

No dark corners on the test roll so I'm considering this challenge solved!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24.jpg (17.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 23.jpg (15.6 KB, 25 views)

Old 06-22-2016   #23
Fraser

Quote:
Okay....44mm-49mm step up ring did the trick and fits the Kodak adaptor perfectly. I can live with the larger frontage and don't think it looks too out of place.

I can now just change the 49mm filter as and when needed. I have a Q as well so bizarrely now have a compatible filter set between the two.

Step up ring was 2.50
Kodak adaptor was 5
Black paint was 6

All in say 13.50.

It's not really a hood more of a filter adapter, you've certainly put a lot of effort/thought into the project.

Old 06-22-2016   #24
Rapierwitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
It's not really a hood more of a filter adapter, you've certainly put a lot of effort/thought into the project.
You are quite right. The whole point was to not have a hood.

Old 06-29-2016   #25
michaelwj
----------------

Nice work!

Old 07-07-2016   #26
coogee

Quote:

Step up ring was 2.50
Kodak adaptor was 5
Black paint was 6

All in say 13.50.

Nice job! Can I revisit exactly what you have on there?
Is it
A Kodak 42mm Series VI slip on adaptor
then
44-49mm Step up Ring (44mm thread fits Series VI right?)
then
49mm filter

Thanks. Think I'll give this one a go myself, I like step-up ring hood solutions for a more compact option.

Is the Kodak 42mm adapter solid enough on the front of the lens to keep the whole thing attached securely? No fear of flying lens hoods?

**Thanks for the feedback below. I've sourced the adaptor/step-up ring. Just got to wait a few weeks for the step-up ring to arrive from China and I'll report back.

Old 07-08-2016   #27
Rapierwitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogee View Post
Nice job! Can I revisit exactly what you have on there?
Is it
A Kodak 42mm Series VI slip on adaptor
then
44-49mm Step up Ring (44mm thread fits Series VI right?)
then
49mm filter

Thanks. Think I'll give this one a go myself, I like step-up ring hood solutions for a more compact option.

Is the Kodak 42mm adapter solid enough on the front of the lens to keep the whole thing attached securely? No fear of flying lens hoods?
All correct above. The Kodak Series VI is a tough one to find though. I found one in a very small camera shop in London. I could only find it in silver as well. The step up ring I could only find from China and on that big auction site and then yes a 49mm filter. All threads are fine.

The adaptor ring has adjustable flanges so you adjust the fit as you like. When you first try to fit it you'll think it's too small but a bit of gentle adjustments and it will be solid as rock. No movement, no rotating, no scratching of the lens barrel. Good luck!

Old 02-27-2017   #28
maddoc
... likes film.

Finally I made my own hood following Michael`s approach but without integrating any filter as of yet. I used the Minolta D42KA and a Leitz 12526 hood that I already had (and also a hood cap from the 28/2.8 ASPH Elmarit).

Leica M4 BP, 35mm Summilux pre-ASPH

flickr
pBase

Old 03-09-2017   #29
michaelwj
----------------

Nice to see Gabor!
How's it working for you?

Old 03-09-2017   #30
maddoc
... likes film.

Quote:
Nice to see Gabor!
How's it working for you?
Thank you, Michael! It works very well and also allows me to use the designated hood cap (same cap as for the 28/2.8 Elmarit ASPH) to protect the front element against dust or in rain.

flickr
pBase