Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

Yale MFAs vs Venice Arts kids. Who does it better?
Old 05-19-2016   #1
Huss

Yale MFAs vs Venice Arts kids. Who does it better?

A recent story in the New York Times covered the photography of the 2016 Yale MFA class, along with a show they are having at a gallery in NYC to celebrate their graduation.

It made me think..(yes that's what that burning smell is). My local arts education outreach program at Venice Arts - to help the underprivileged - just had a show too. The photogs in this show vary in age from pre-teens to late teens and maybe beyond.

Whose work do you prefer?

2016 Yale MFAs (cost of education $$$$$$$$$):
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/201...rsion=EndSlate

2016 Venice Arts (cost of education $0):

http://www.venicearts.org/index.php?view=sets&id=33914

Old 05-19-2016   #2
Iestrada

You should email the link of the Venice arts exhibit to the Yale graduates. Hopefully they can get a refund. I did not even have to think about my choice of which I prefer.

In case any Yale MFA's are lurking I will spell it out, I prefer the Venice Arts work.

Old 05-19-2016   #3
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

Honestly, I think the Yale kids did better. Although not tens of thousands of dollars better.

Old 05-19-2016   #4
zauhar

Venice Arts !

Maybe the MFA kids are thinking too hard

Randy
Canon 7/50mm f1.4
Leica IIIf/Summitar/Collapsible Summicron
Yashica Electro 35

Old 05-19-2016   #5
Huss

Umm, I don't think anyone getting a Masters of Fine Arts degree from Yale University is a kid..

Old 05-19-2016   #6
benmacphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zauhar View Post

Maybe the MFA kids are thinking too hard
That must be it.

Website

Old 05-19-2016   #7
nickthetasmaniac

To be honest there's some great work and some mediocre work in both bunches.

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 05-19-2016   #8
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickthetasmaniac View Post
To be honest there's some great work and some mediocre work in both bunches.

Who do you think would be offended more by calling their work mediocre?
An 11 year old kid who took a free course. Or a 30 yr old who spent $130,000 getting an MFA from Yale?

http://gsas.yale.edu/funding-aid/tuition-living-costs

Old 05-19-2016   #9
TXForester

One or two of the MFA photos were ok. Most didn't do anything for me. It is like many were snapshots and you'd have to Monday morning quarterback some justification for them.

The Venice kids did much better in my opinion. Some were not that good, but it seemed that most had some thought put into them.

Democracy is the art and science of running the circus from the monkey-cage. ― H.L. Mencken

Old 05-19-2016   #10
pagpow

I have a problem with many of the MFA pieces, as I do with much of conceptual art, and several other veins of art. I just don't understand the esthetic, don't understand the criteria by which they might be called art, or even visually pleasing.
I have gone to too many shows where a piece needs an understanding of the history of art that leads to it, or needs a written justification, to move me to any appreciation.
I know that this makes me a bumpkin or worse, but at some point, it seems to me a piece needs to stand by itself.
End of rant -- its safe to come out again.

Old 05-19-2016   #11
twopointeight

Its not a good comparison as these two bodies of work are from different worlds. One of them is Academia, and the other is the broader, populist culture-at-large. I prefer the Yale work because it tries to use new ideas. Some are more successful than others, according to each viewer.

Old 05-19-2016   #12
nikon_sam
Shooter of Film...

Maybe three of the Yale photographs were somewhat worth looking at...
Not knowing that the Venice Arts stuff were made by mere children while looking...I have to say now that theirs were much better...
Those Yale photos were pretty boring and for being a Fine Arts class that's sad...or maybe I need to take the course to understand their work better...
pf

Old 05-29-2016   #13
tunalegs
Pretended Artist

To be honest, any day of the week there are probably hundreds of more interesting photos uploaded to flickr.

Of either group, the most interesting photo is the double exposure from the Venice bunch. But the rest in that group are just portraits or snap shots. I don't see what anybody else is seeing in them. The Yale bunch on the other hand had several strong photos. But again I can go on flickr any day of the week and find bunches of photos that are better.