Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

mamiya/sekor 135mm f2.8 removing front element ???
Old 11-02-2015   #1
blumoon

mamiya/sekor 135mm f2.8 removing front element ???

I got a very nice Mamiya/Sekor SX 2.8/135mm lens at a thrift shop last week.
It is in like new condition with a clean body and clean clear glass.
The problem is there are a few pieces of what looks like metal threads floating around between the front and next element.
It was very simple to just unscrew the front section, BUT can anyone suggest a way to separate (unscrew) the two pieces. I tried with rubber gloves on after putting a touch of Break-Free on the threads, but it wont budge.

[IMG]DSC05629 ,[/IMG]
[IMG]DSC05631 , [/IMG]

Old 11-02-2015   #2
blumoon

I tried heating it with girlfriends hairdryer, but still can't unscrew it.
Any ideas?

Old 11-04-2015   #3
blumoon

I tried putting acetone on the threads with a Q-tip, but I still can't unscrew it.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 11-04-2015   #4
charjohncarter

Have you tried a rubber pad for opening jars. These used with the flat of your hand or on a table top spreads the opening pressure evenly.

Old 11-04-2015   #5
blumoon

Thanks for the suggestion.
I tried it, but no luck.

Old 11-04-2015   #6
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Is there a trim ring around the inside of the front, removal of which would provide access to spanner slots for the front group top retaining ring? I can't tell from your image, sorry, as that part of the lens is out of focus.
Cheers,
Brett

Old 11-05-2015   #7
blumoon

Well I finally managed to unscrew the pieces. I guess the acetone I applied with a Q-tip a few times loosened the bond.
So after getting the front ring and one element off, there is a ring with spanner slots that wont come out. I'm trying acetone and Break Free. Going to let it get down in the threads and try later.

I emailed Mamiya in Japan yesterday for advice, and got this reply:
Dear John-san,

According to the image you attached, it looks like 35mm lens for SLR camera.
It has been more than 30years since we discontinued our production for 35mm lens.

I am very sorry to say, there is no place where you can ask for the repair, either in U.S. or Japan.
To repair the 35mm lens, we need special repair tools to disassemble. We don't have the tools anymore and the lens elements are usually firmly attached to stop falling off. There maybe a way to repair but I think it will consume a lot of time and cost.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the lack of our service, but my suggestion would be to use the lens as it is.

Best regards,
Mamiya Fujiwara

Old 11-05-2015   #8
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

The "special tool" is a lens wrench. These can be had in varying shape and quality from various Asian vendors all over the internet or from Micro Tools. If the lens is stuck, you may need something like this , perhaps with an extra, accurately matching set of tips, to force it without damage. Unless you intend to work on several other lenses, that is probably overkill - you could get another, working, copy of the lens for much less than that...