I did this following the same instructions you did a few years ago. I didn't have much trouble getting it out, just try to wiggle it and it will eventually get into the right position to come out. The problem I had was to get it back in, almost impossible i think. It was a lot easier to reassemble if you removed the whole lens assembly from the camera body. I can't remember specifically but I think it involved peeling back the leatherette on the front and also removing a screw under the top cover... Since the shutter escapements are in the camera body, there's not many parts in there anyway.
Hope that helps,