Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Olympus RF

Olympus RF This forum is for the Olympus rangefinders.

ebay travails - anyone know what's wrong with my Oly 35 DC?
Old 12-13-2014   #1
rjstep3

ebay travails - anyone know what's wrong with my Oly 35 DC?

It was described as working perfectly (yeah, yeah ...) but I just ran a roll of film through it and - as you can see, every frame has a strange black blob in the top left corner:

I don't know anything about the technical side of things, don't know how to open up cameras, but does this suggest anything to anyone out there? There is nothing obviously wrong with the lens as far as I can see.

thanks
rjstep3

Old 12-13-2014   #2
btgc

Picture of film chamber would help. Probably a bit of disintegrated light seal is stuck to film rails or somewhere around.

Old 12-13-2014   #3
rjstep3

Thanks, it's at home now (and I'm not), I'll take a look and post something tomorrow.

rjstep3

Old 12-13-2014   #4
splitimageview

Yeah, I would guess something quite near the film

Old 12-13-2014   #5
Huss

Do all the shots also have that paler vertical band that covers the right third of the image?

Old 12-13-2014   #6
rjstep3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Do all the shots also have that paler vertical band that covers the right third of the image?
No - the film stock was TruPrint and was many, many years out of date, so there were a few odd stains evident at different places. I was only using it to test the camera rather than waste something valuable like Provia.

rjstep3

Old 12-13-2014   #7
hamradio

If I had to bet, I'd say there's a little scrap of film (or a light seal, like others have said) in the corner of the frame. Its location on the top of that frame would throw it somewhere along the bottom of the film gate, which would make sense for gravity depositing some bit of foreign material.

Old 12-14-2014   #8
rjstep3

The prize goes to the one who said it was a bit of light seal - well done!

Now removed, I'm going to give her a clean up, get that leatherette gleaming and try another film.

I was dreading that someone would say it looked like a shutter fault ...

thanks
rjstep3