Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > Polaroid & Fuji Instax

Polaroid & Fuji Instax All things Polaroid and Fuji Instax

Polaroid Given Away
Old 07-16-2013   #1
3rdtrick

Polaroid Given Away

To me the fun of instant photography 'Polaroid' is giving the print away. I even have the little folding frames to put them in. It is a great way to meet people and make new friends and has really put the fun back into my photography. I took this one at Blobfest and gave them the first print. It turned out a bit light but I like it.

I have even started a Flickr group called "Polaroid Given Away". So far I am the only member... I know we have a few others here giving prints away so please post them here and check out my Flickr group.
Pete

PS: I used my converted Speedliner and it was really a hit at the event.

Old 07-16-2013   #2
SteveM(PA)
Poser

I love that shot. I'm still itching for a nice manual polaroid. Are you in P-ville? I go to Molly's and the Colonial all the time.
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 07-16-2013   #3
pacco

I totally agree, it gives photography a real social touch. During my studies abroad, I made Polaroids of my associates and gave them away in change for a "picture-in-picture". Some of them below:

Old 07-16-2013   #4
3rdtrick

Thank you Steve,
I am in Delaware County and went to Blobfest on Saturday. Was disappointed that I missed the theater run on Friday night. The 185/195 are impossible to find so the best manual Polaroid is a converted roll film camera. The Pathfinder 110 A/B is best but you can have fun with the others. I used a Speedliner 95B that I converted myself.

Pacco, what a great way do document them. Looks like you are having a lot of fun with it too.
Pete

Old 07-16-2013   #5
SteveM(PA)
Poser

^ That's fantastic. I really want to do this.

(I wonder if Fuji would ever consider making a new manual instant camera?)
Olympus XA, Fed 3B, Zorki 4K
"The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness."
-P. G. Wodehouse

Old 07-16-2013   #6
3rdtrick

I hope Fuji does because that would insure future film supplies but I enjoy using the old cameras too much to buy one. If you want to play around with Polaroid (Fuji) film, the metal body 100 series cameras are quite good. I like the Auto 250 for color.
Pete

Old 07-16-2013   #7
one90guy

I 2nd the 100's and the battery swap is easy. Also did a 110A and sold it, haven't found another I what I consider a decent price. I need to finish a 150 conversion, all the hard work is done, just need to attach the back, been holding out for the 110A.

David

Old 07-16-2013   #8
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Sharing the prints is a great idea!

I'm specializing in SX-70 models and Impossible Project film. Takes a bit more work and time as the IP films process slowly, but a similar program can be devised. Hmmmmm

G

Old 07-16-2013   #9
3rdtrick

I like the pack film because I grew up with it. You can have just as much fun with the SX-70 and post your shared pics here. Just remember to take two shots as you do not have a negative. It took a bit for me to get comfortable shooting two but you get used to it.
Pete

Old 07-16-2013   #10
Nokton48

I shoot Fuji in my four Hasselblads. I have six instant film backs so I can quick-change and shoot 100 color, 100 B&W, 400 B&W (from Japan!) and 3000 EI film. It's so much fun to peel 'em off.....

Giving the prints away is an intruiging idea and I may start doing that. The Fujiroids are small and jewel-like and always envoke an amazing response from the subject.

Old 07-16-2013   #11
CliveC

What is the ideal Polaroid camera these days with respect to film availability? The SX-70 seems nice, but Impossible Project films aren't quite up to par yet. The old LAND 100 series? Which one in particular? I saw one at a camera show going for peanuts, but I couldn't make heads or tails of the battery situation.

Old 07-16-2013   #12
nikonosguy

just ordered 5 packs of film for my fuji instax wide

need need need a fuji pa-145 back so i can shoot fuji polaroids in my graflex

Old 07-16-2013   #13
3rdtrick

Nokton, I like bigger prints and would shoot 4x5 if it was still available but the way you put it, "jewel-like" makes me want to try a smaller format. Just picked a handful of Hassy backs that I am going to put on other cameras. Maybe I will leave the square mask in one of them.

Clive, I understand what you mean about the SX-70 films. They are a bit too artistic for me. The battery situation is actually simple. You can get the batteries from several sources on the internet but most of us convert the cameras to AAA batteries. Any of the Land '100' series can be used but the metal bodies have a glass lens. I personally like the 250 but the 100 is an 'old faithful' and quite common. The only ones to avoid have the electronic timer on the back because it fouls the Fuji film packs. There is also a slight modification of the springs in the back. Either bend them flat or cut them out so it is not too tight on the Fuji film packs.
Pete

Old 07-16-2013   #14
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveC View Post
What is the ideal Polaroid camera these days with respect to film availability? The SX-70 seems nice, but Impossible Project films aren't quite up to par yet. The old LAND 100 series? Which one in particular? I saw one at a camera show going for peanuts, but I couldn't make heads or tails of the battery situation.
The IP films seem just fine by me, but they're not Polaroid Time Zero film. Their Color Protection film is quite nice and easier to handle, the Color Shade and Silver Shade Cool are both good.

Far as I'm aware, the only pack films now available are the Fuji 3000 B&W and 100 color. I've got a Polaroid 350 floating about here somewhere, just have to wire it up to use a CR23 battery instead of the no longer available original. I also have the Polaroid back for the Hassy.

But I prefer what I get out of the SX-70 and IP films overall. :-)

Polaroid SX-70 - IP Silver Shade Cool

G

Old 07-18-2013   #15
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

One of the reasons I don´t have many Polaroid shots to show for myself, is that I use it predominantly to take pictures or people I meet and then give them the print. It works a treat at parties, and other social gatherings.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 07-18-2013   #16
robert blu
quiet photographer

This is a great thread, and the "give away prints" is a great idea, I did it many years ago only occasionally. I just received a few IP films both for my sx70 and 600 and still have a couple of packs of the 3000B for my 340. I'll start to use these cameras more, after having read this thread! And seen the photos!
robert

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 07-30-2013   #17
3rdtrick

Here is another given away. He has been working on this car for weeks and it is almost ready to give to his customer. He was happy to get the print and hung it in the shop. I took a second for myself. Taken with my converted 1929 Glunz of Hanover 9x12 plate camera.

Old 07-30-2013   #18
BW400CN
Bessamatic forever!

[quote=3rdtrick;2189784]Here is another given away. He has been working on this car for weeks and it is almost ready to give to his customer. He was happy to get the print and hung it in the shop. I took a second for myself. Taken with my converted 1929 Glunz of Hanover 9x12 plate camera.
[/qoute]
How you did the conversion?
Did you use a Polaroid 405 back and converted this to slip into the Plate holder rails? That´s what I would like to do for my 9x12 Voigtländer Avus.

Lovely thread, but I couldn´t show pics - all the pics I have given away are gone

Old 07-30-2013   #19
Nokton48

My Plaubel Makiflexes produce a 9x9cm contact image (with rounded corners!) on a 4x5 sheet of Instant Film. What constantly amazes me, is how many folks have -never- seen an instant print, and are totally blown away by it. Guess it's been out of the mainstream long enough that it has become "special and unique". Chemical Instant Photography is just too much fun.......

Old 07-30-2013   #20
3rdtrick

Thank you guys. I have a thread on the conversion:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=135135

This was actually one of the easiest conversions as the film back lined up perfectly including the film plane. I just thought it would be fun but I had no idea how nice the Glunz actually was. I will definitely look for more 9x12 cameras to convert.

Yes, people seem to enjoy the instant pictures as much today as they did in 1948 when Edmund Land invented it.
Pete