EFKE/Fotokemika now completely gone!
Old 08-29-2012   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

EFKE/Fotokemika now completely gone!

I started this thread a couple of weeks ago after hearing the news from Freestyle that Efke were ceasing production of photo papers but continuing with film.

Well it now seems that it's all over for EFKE/Fotokemika ... film included!

Very, very sad news IMO. LINK

Old 08-29-2012   #2
rxmd
May contain traces of nut

Elsewhere someone quoted a German thread from the Fotoimpex forum (http://forum.fotoimpex.de/index.php?showtopic=2589) which contained some interesting information by Mikro Böddecker of ADOX on this (who visited the plant to convince the director otherwise):

* There is a small chance of a last production run of the film, though not of the paper
* Paper production has ceased because a machine is broken and it is uneconomical to repair it
* Efke production is unsustainable because every factory has a minimum turnover; for this to be economical there has to be a minimum price; and this price would now be too high to compete with the prices of Ilford & Kodak who have better access to dealers
* There are plans to develop a new film in the 25-32-50 ASA range at Adox as a replacement for the popular Adox CHS 50
* The B&W film market is no longer shrinking.

Old 08-29-2012   #3
c.poulton

Yes, very sad indeed! I used to shoot a lot of the CHS Art 50 before 'moving on' to Pan-f, maybe I should try to get a few rolls for old times sake before it disappears completely?

Let's hope that ADOX do manage to salvage something and continue producing film.....

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 08-29-2012   #4
thegman

A shame, I hope ADOX develop this new film, I'll be happy to try it out.

Old 08-29-2012   #5
teddy
Jose Morales

My favourite film - just when I was getting used to it.

Elmarit 90/2.8, Efke 100, Adonal 1:100 60 mins

Elmarit 90/2.8, Efke 100, Adonal 1:100 60 mins

Rolleiflex 75/3.5, Efke 25, Adonal 1:100 60 mins

Rolleiflex 75/3.5, Efke 25, Adonal 1:100 60 mins

Leica Summaron 35/2.8, Efke 25, Adonal 1:100 60 mins

My lovely wife and son
Elmar 90/4, Efke 25, Adonal 1:100 60 mins

Old 08-29-2012   #6
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

A damned shame, I really liked the KB-100 film. It was gorgeous in Rodinal or PMK, a look no modern film gave.

Both Efke 100 35mm in PMK.

Old 08-29-2012   #7
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Damn! Chris ... I like that second shot!

I may order some 100 in 120 over the next couple days while Freestyle still have it ... the price is pretty reasonable.

Old 08-29-2012   #8
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

It's just occured to me that if Fujifilm continues with their general trend of discontinuing emulsions at the rate they have been Ilford could finish up virtually controlling the film market ... I have no faith in Kodak continuing as Kodak sorry!

I seriously don't like Ilford's various film emulsions enough for that to be viable for me and I would prefer the scenario of someone picking up EK's production facilities and calling it whatever they want ... just keep making the damned stuff!

Old 08-29-2012   #9
Brian Legge

I shoot Acros and Tri X. :\

I've tried Ilfords offerings a few times but can't seem to find my rhythm with them. If they're going to be the last one standing and if they bulk purchases will keep prices from exploding I'd absolutely switch to their film and figure out how to make it work.

Old 08-29-2012   #10
jbielikowski
call me Jan

Well, Adox is simply better...

Old 08-29-2012   #11
Igor.Burshteyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I would prefer the scenario of someone picking up EK's production facilities and calling it whatever they want ... just keep making the damned stuff!
EK's film division is announced for sale, so this scenario is quite possible.

Old 08-29-2012   #12
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Legge View Post
I shoot Acros and Tri X. :\

I've tried Ilfords offerings a few times but can't seem to find my rhythm with them. If they're going to be the last one standing and if they bulk purchases will keep prices from exploding I'd absolutely switch to their film and figure out how to make it work.

That's exactly how I feel ... now and then HP5+ looks promising and then I get a series of exposures that look really blah!

I've had some pleasing results with PanF+ but it tends to be a bit contrasty!

Old 08-29-2012   #13
teddy
Jose Morales

Are there any other films which are silver rich like Efke/Adox types? Does Fomapan come close?

Old 08-29-2012   #14
Ronald_H
Don't call me Ron

Time to buy a boatload of their 127 film then... I like their b/w films a lot, also in more common formats. Indeed a shame.

My Flickr

My regular website: www.lookupinwonder.nl

Old 08-29-2012   #15
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Are there any other films which are silver rich like Efke/Adox types? Does Fomapan come close?
I don't really know why Efke is considered silver rich - technically, Adox was a pioneer of thin coatings, and while the Adox coatings contain more silver by coating volume, they marked a considerable reduction in silver content by roll, compared to other unstructured grain film of equivalent sensitivity.

That is, Foma, APX, Tri-X and the non-Delta Ilford films probably are more "silver rich". At least Foma should be, being a generation older than APX, "+" Ilford and "improved" Tri X. But they are quite different in structure and results.

Old 08-29-2012   #16
Vincent.G
平和、愛、喜び

Quote:
It's just occured to me that if Fujifilm continues with their general trend of discontinuing emulsions at the rate they have been Ilford could finish up virtually controlling the film market ... I have no faith in Kodak continuing as Kodak sorry!

I seriously don't like Ilford's various film emulsions enough for that to be viable for me and I would prefer the scenario of someone picking up EK's production facilities and calling it whatever they want ... just keep making the damned stuff!
I feel the same way too, Keith. I may stop shooting film when all existing Kodak and Fuji film ceases.

Old 08-29-2012   #17
Rayt

I understand Efke curls a lot in 120, and also it needs a hardening fixer. These are the two reasons why I never tried it. I tried some Foma but the curl drove me nuts.

Old 08-29-2012   #18
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxmd View Post
Elsewhere someone quoted a German thread from the Fotoimpex forum (http://forum.fotoimpex.de/index.php?showtopic=2589) which contained some interesting information by Mikro Böddecker of ADOX on this (who visited the plant to convince the director otherwise):

* There is a small chance of a last production run of the film, though not of the paper
* Paper production has ceased because a machine is broken and it is uneconomical to repair it
* Efke production is unsustainable because every factory has a minimum turnover; for this to be economical there has to be a minimum price; and this price would now be too high to compete with the prices of Ilford & Kodak who have better access to dealers
* There are plans to develop a new film in the 25-32-50 ASA range at Adox as a replacement for the popular Adox CHS 50
* The B&W film market is no longer shrinking.
Coated by whom? I can think of several options, but I can't guess which might be the best bet. Any idea?

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-29-2012   #19
dogbunny
Registered Boozer

I've been shooting Efke 50 all summer. I'm sorry to hear this. The film was starting to grow on me.

Old 08-29-2012   #20
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
I don't really know why Efke is considered silver rich . . .
Because people who know nothing about emulsions and coating technology always assume that more silver is better, and therefore, by an omitted middle, the films they like are silver rich...

Another basic flaw in the 'silver rich' theory is that there will always come a point, for a given emulsion technology, where you have enough silver to give a good negative or print. Adding more won't improve matters.

You know this. I know this. But plenty don't.

Cheers,

R.

Old 08-29-2012   #21
Turtle

Efke PL100 is simply beautiful. Grainy, but as Chris says, totally un-modern. We talk about the organic quality of film compared to digital, but this stuff is to TriX what TriX is to a DSLR.

Old 08-29-2012   #22
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
Coated by whom? I can think of several options, but I can't guess which might be the best bet. Any idea?
Going by some of Mirko's posts they consider doing a low volume Efke substitute in their own low volume factory (Fotoimpex/Adox purchased the former Agfa R&D lab and set it up near Berlin).

Old 08-29-2012   #23
jwc57

I've never tried Efke for the same reason that Rayt listed. I like HP5, but haven't shot it in a couple of years. I usually shoot FP4+ and Tri-X.

Marketing is a problem for companies like Efke and Foma. I run into people all the time that think ALL film has stopped production, Kodak and Fuji, and is no longer available. They were not even aware that Efke, or Ilford for that matter, existed. With that against them, it is no wonder that they are in trouble as the market shrinks.

Old 08-29-2012   #24
healyzh

Argh! This rates up there with loosing Ektachrome for me. I've been wanting to order a pile of Adox CHS 50 from Freestyle as it has been hard to get locally around here.

My flickr photostream

My Zane's Photography website

Old 08-29-2012   #25
Ezzie
E. D. Russell Roberts

Excuse my French, but FCUK! I've just started a love affair with Efke R25! Need to stockpile the stuff pretty pronto.

RF: Leica M4-2 | Royal 35-M | Polaroid 110A/600SE hybrid
VF: DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x17 | Voigtländer Vito CL | Foth Derby | Welta Weltix | Smena Symbol | Lomo'Instax
SLR: Canon EF | Pentacon SIX | Pentax SP1000 | Pentax SV
TLR: Rolleiflex 2.8E3 | DUO TLR
CSC: Fuji X-E1
Pinhole: 6x17 Vermeer | ONDU 6x6 | DIY 4x5 | DIY 6x24

My Flickr
Silver Halides - Pictures in B&W

Old 08-29-2012   #26
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

I've just placed an order with Freestyle for 300ft of KB100 and 20 rolls of 120 and a (50) box of 4x5 sheets.

I think I have an Efke summer coming up!

I'll be interested to see if they can fill the order ... I'm hoping!

Old 08-29-2012   #27
jsrockit

My goodness, you film guys better bank on ilford being healthy.

Old 08-29-2012   #28
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
My goodness, you film guys better bank on ilford being healthy.

It's you damned digital converts that have caused this problem John!

Old 08-29-2012   #29
jsrockit

Quote:
It's you damned digital converts that have caused this problem John!
Oops

Old 08-29-2012   #30
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent.G View Post
I feel the same way too, Keith. I may stop shooting film when all existing Kodak and Fuji film ceases.
Fuji has ceased making B&W films already, what is for sale onwards from now is remaining stocks.

This is a Pulcinella's secret.

My only concern with Ilford films are their retail price (as explained in another thread) ; otherwise all those discussions about, say, Tri-X vs HP5+ always puzzled me, because when similarly exposed and developed in the same fluid, I can't see any difference between the two.

What I could see on Efke films were stains and scratches and emulsion drops from the factory, because of a very poor QC.

Old 08-29-2012   #31
Chriscrawfordphoto
Real Men Shoot Film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
Fuji has ceased making B&W films already, what is for sale onwards from now is remaining stocks.
Where did you hear this?

Old 08-29-2012   #32
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

While I was in a paranoid buying frenzy at Freestyle I ordered another five hundred feet of Tri-X to add to the two hundred feet already in the freezer.

That's probably a months shooting for Tom A!

Old 08-29-2012   #33
Highway 61
Revisited

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscrawfordphoto View Post
Where did you hear this?
http://www.fujifilm.com/

This has been discussed many times here already.

Even if they still were to produce some B&W film, apart from Acros 100 I couldn't see what they would make so far, because the demise of Neopan 400, Neopan 1600, Neopan 100SS have been officially confirmed.
So, that's it. No more Fuji B&W films. This is something we ought to live with.

Old 08-29-2012   #34
teddy
Jose Morales

Quote:
Because people who know nothing about emulsions and coating technology always assume that more silver is better, and therefore, by an omitted middle, the films they like are silver rich...

Another basic flaw in the 'silver rich' theory is that there will always come a point, for a given emulsion technology, where you have enough silver to give a good negative or print. Adding more won't improve matters.

You know this. I know this. But plenty don't.

Cheers,

R.
Well, I think you are right. I don't know much about emulsions to really tell whether silver rich is the same as any other. What I do know is that Efke 25 gives me bucket loads of tonality with minimal grain when stand developed. Is the tonality due to more silver in the emulsion? If it is, then I will go with any other film that gives me more of the same quality. Suggestions anyone?

Old 08-29-2012   #35
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
Well, I think you are right. I don't know much about emulsions to really tell whether silver rich is the same as any other. What I do know is that Efke 25 gives me bucket loads of tonality with minimal grain when stand developed. Is the tonality due to more silver in the emulsion? If it is, then I will go with any other film that gives me more of the same quality. Suggestions anyone?

I'm finding Acros to be a remarkable film tonality wise at the moment ... but who knows how long that will be around!

Old 08-29-2012   #36
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSU View Post
I've already done that and now I'm wondering how much longer Arista Premium 400 will remain. For me it is Tri-X.

When I said Tri-X I was actually refering to AP400 ... the genuine Tri-X is listed at $74.00 per 100ft!

You'd have to supect that Freestyle's stocks of AP400 must be nearly gone by now.

Old 08-29-2012   #37
jonmanjiro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 61 View Post
http://www.fujifilm.com/

This has been discussed many times here already.

Even if they still were to produce some B&W film, apart from Acros 100 I couldn't see what they would make so far, because the demise of Neopan 400, Neopan 1600, Neopan 100SS have been officially confirmed.
So, that's it. No more Fuji B&W films. This is something we ought to live with.
I've seen that website before but wonder how reliable it is...

I know the demise of Neopan 1600 and Neopan 100SS has been officially confirmed by Fujifilm Japan, but haven't seen anything about Neopan 400 in 135 size from them yet. Fujifilm will have a riot on their hands in Japan if they discontinue Neopan 400.

The most recent announcement about discontinuing B&W film I could find on the Fujifilm Japan website is dated 13 July 2012, and says that Neopan 100 SS in 135-24 is discontinued and the last batch is expected to ship in December this year (no surprises there). Fujifilm recommends using Acros in its place. The notice goes on to link to the current B&W film products here. Acros is still there, as is Neopan 400. Fujifilm will have a riot on their hands in Japan if they discontinue Neopan 400. Hmmm...

Back on topic, I have 6 rolls of Efke 50 that I purchased in Zagreb in April. I will use it carefully! I thought of visiting the factory as well while there, but didn't have quite enough time

Old 08-29-2012   #38
rxmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevo View Post
I don't really know why Efke is considered silver rich - technically, Adox was a pioneer of thin coatings, and while the Adox coatings contain more silver by coating volume, they marked a considerable reduction in silver content by roll, compared to other unstructured grain film of equivalent sensitivity.
I think the reason is that people generalize from Efke's papers to Efke's films.

Old 08-29-2012   #39
rxmd

Quote:
Hm, my guess is either Inoviscoat, or, as Sevo pointed out, Adox' own coating facility where they reuse Agfa gear.

Old 08-29-2012   #40
Nokton48

I have 250 sheets of 6x9cm PL100, and 250 sheets of 6x9cm PL25 in my deep freeze. Perhaps I should order more!