Efke to cease production of photo papers.
Old 08-08-2012   #1
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Efke to cease production of photo papers.

In my inbox from Freestyle this morning ... sounds like when their film coating machinery becomes troublesome the end result might be similar. I hope not because I like their film.

Quote:
One bit of industry-product related news we need to report is the discontinuation of Fotokemika Emaks and Varycon black and white photographic papers by the manufacturer in Croatia. Efke brand films will continue to be produced for the foreseeable future but paper production from this factory will cease. This is due to the coating machinery no longer being economically repairable due to age and current manufacturing volume. While this is sad news, we are continuing dialog with the Fotokemika factory and working with them to acquire as much of Emaks and Varycon paper that they have left to keep this product in stock as long as possible

Old 08-08-2012   #2
Nikon Bob

Films being produced for the "foreseeable future" is not too reassuring if it is produced on similarly old machinery as the coating machinery for their photo paper was. The coating machinery is not unrepairable they just don't sell enough to make it worth their while.

Bob

Old 08-09-2012   #3
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Not using either their film or paper but this points out a weakness in those small businesses that have stepped into the breach left by the bigger companies' retreat. If the machinery fails, costs might instantly make it impossible to continue. Yikes.

Troubling.

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 08-09-2012   #4
bugmenot

What makes every bit of news about another film or paper product discontinuation very disheartening is the fact that over the long run, I fear only one or two companies will have absolute monopoly over film, and charge whatever the please ... Or even worse, we'd all have to shoot colour on digital. Oh wait ...

Old 08-09-2012   #5
rodt16s

This doesn't sound good for the longterm. I quite like EFKE film, actually waiting on a delivery of some today. Hope they don't down the pan.

Old 08-09-2012   #6
teddy
Jose Morales

I thought EFKE film was made by Adox?

Old 08-09-2012   #7
braver

I'd imagine the turnover for film being much higher than that of paper. Hardly anyone still shooting film spends much time in the darkroom, much less using their papers. I totally expect traditional photographic papers to die out, perhaps leaving only Ilford to produce some MGIV as a prestige thing. My hope for film is that even small companies like Efke will be able to sell enough to keep the machines running. That said, who knows how long we can go with existing machinery... I hope long enough for companies to learn how to make digital cameras that behave more like cameras and less like VCR's and microwave ovens...

Old 08-09-2012   #8
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddy View Post
I thought EFKE film was made by Adox?
It is way more complex than that. Fotokemika (of then Yugoslavia) purchased the Adox production machinery and patents in the seventies and relocated the plant from Neu Isenburg, Germany to Samobor, Croatia, after Dupont (who had bought Schleussner/Adox) withdrew from the photographic market to focus on technical film. What was not part of the deal was the Adox brand, which Dupont had only licensed from the Schleussner heirs, so they renamed the Adox lineup Efke.

Fotoimpex of Berlin, the main German/EU distributor of Efke produkts recently bought the rights to the Adox name, and began to relabel some Efke products as Adox. But they also started a closer relation with the ex-Agfa coater Inoviscoat and market their products (unrelated to the old Adox stock, but rather directly derived from the last generation of Agfa products) as Adox as well.

Old 08-09-2012   #9
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Quote:
Originally Posted by braver View Post
I'd imagine the turnover for film being much higher than that of paper. Hardly anyone still shooting film spends much time in the darkroom, much less using their papers.
That is doubtlessly right where colour is concerned (where a digital intermediate stage can provide more accurate colour than wet printing ever could), but in black and white, a very considerable amount of people explicitly use film to wet print the old way. And among the rest, it is hard to tell whether printing film scans on black and white modified inkjet printers or printing digital images on Frontier printers loaded with silver paper makes up the majority - there are about the same number of professional labs offering one or the other.

The real issue traditional papers have is the competition from variable contrast materials.

Old 08-09-2012   #10
teddy
Jose Morales

Okay, that is complicated but a great post. Thank you!

As long as someone out there can produce silver rich black and white films like Efke, or Adox films than life has meaning for me and for others for sure.

I currently shoot Efke 25 a lot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joseantoniomorales/

Old 08-09-2012   #11
MrFujicaman

Huh...maybe they should see if Kodak kept or scrapped their paper making equipment.....bet they'd be willing to sell it to raise cash.

Old 08-10-2012   #12
Colin Corneau
Colin Corneau

Good for you, but why would you troll a thread with something like that?

I've always preferred the QC on Ilford, Kodak and Fuji but I'm saddened to hear this news. Diversity is good and the more the better.

"Viva Film Renaissance"

Old 08-10-2012   #13
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFujicaman View Post
Huh...maybe they should see if Kodak kept or scrapped their paper making equipment.....bet they'd be willing to sell it to raise cash.
Kodak AFAIK has no factory in the EU for photographic paper.

Buying machinery stateside would be useless for Efke, it would require disassembly, shipping, reassembly, re-tuning and educating workforce to operate. Effectively that would be more expensive than buying new, I'd say...

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 08-10-2012   #14
Nikon Bob

It really does not matter if they could get a machine like Kodak may have. Kodak's machine probably is designed to produce far, far too much film for the market Efke services and that alone would make it uneconomical to run.

Bob

Old 08-10-2012   #15
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

If we all buy loads of Efke products maybe they'll have enough money to replace the paper machine.

Chris

Old 08-10-2012   #16
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

don't use efke a lot, ilford mostly. but i am afraid the lack of competition will give ilford another excuse to hike the price again.

Old 08-23-2012   #17
Filzkoeter
stray dog

It's over with Efke. The production of both, paper and film, will be stopped. It seems to be the final decision of their management.

Mirko from Fotoimpex/Adox was there to speak with them, he says that it's not profitable for Efke to keep the production running anymore, it's a strategic dillema.
Basically the profit margin of Fotokemika is too low because they're forced to keep their prices low to compete against big companies like Kodak or Ilford.

Mirko on the Fotoimpex forum (in German):
http://forum.fotoimpex.de/index.php?...89&#entry14376

It's sad

Old 08-23-2012   #18
MartinP

Unfortunately so. The stuff which is waiting to be trimmed and packaged will go out, then that's it, pretty much.

There is a thread, in English, on APUG with around 200 posts. It has some detailed input from Croatian APUG members, and from the owner of Fotoimpex after his visit to the Fotokemika plant.

Old 08-23-2012   #19
bsdunek
Old Guy with a Corgi

Sad to hear. I don't use EFKE papers, but I sure like their IR films - more like the Kodak IR films that any of the others.

My Gallery
Bruce
Don't take my Kodachrome away!
OOOPS! Kodak did!!!

Old 08-29-2012   #20
c.poulton

Just read this: "Fotokemika Ceases Production, Affects Efke/ADOX"

Sad news indeed. I just hope that ADOX can continue in some form to keep producing film. I used to use CHS Art 50 a lot a couple of years ago before switching to Pan-F, maybe I should buy a few rolls for old time's sake...

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 08-29-2012   #21
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Wow! I started this thread two weeks ago and now the film has gone as well!

This is really sad news ... lack of diversity is not going to be helpful for us film users because it will allow companies like Ilford to increase their prices at will. With Kodak effectively on the ropes and Fujifilm (IMO) fast losing interest our niche analog world is spiraling inwards rapidly!

Old 08-29-2012   #22
c.poulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Wow! I started this thread two weeks ago and now the film has gone as well!

This is really sad news ... lack of diversity is not going to be helpful for us film users because it will allow companies like Ilford to increase their prices at will. With Kodak effectively on the ropes and Fujifilm (IMO) fast losing interest our niche analog world is spiraling inwards rapidly!
Yes, this could be a disaster for film users - as much as I like Ilford films, a monopoly is not good and I'm already struggling to justify the cost of buying film & processing.

My Gallery
My Flickr

Old 08-29-2012   #23
Fotohuis

If Fotokemika is going out of business, which is confirmed by my contact, the following products are involved:

Emaks and MG Efke photo papers
The same line for Adox papers

Efke 25-50-100 films in all formats
Efke IR820/aura

Same line Adox films:
Adox CHS 25-50-100 and IR.

Rollei Pan 25 (in fact already discontinued)

All Ortho 25 films on the actual market: Rollei ortho 25 / Adox ortho 25
Rollei ATO
Rollei retro 100 TONAL (based on a modified Efke 100 emulsion)

In our Fotohuis program involved:
Efke 25 and 100 135-36 / 120 roll film, IR820 135-36 / 120 roll film, Retro 100 Tonal 135-36 / 120 roll film / 4x5" sheet film, Ortho 25 135-36 / 120 roll film. Retro 80S 127 roll film.

In fact all slow going products to be honest.........

An analysis of Mr. Hartmuth Schröder, ex-Maco CEO and I think very close to the real truth:

Quote:
Nahezu 4 Jahrzehnte war ich mit der Fotokemika beruflich verbunden.

Aus dieser Erfahrung heraus vermute ich, die Mitarbeiter des Unternehmens werden wohl keine privaten E-Mails von Filmnutzern beantworten. Ebensowenig, wie sie in einer Foren-Öffentlichkeit jemals Stellung bezogen haben.

Daher entbehrt es nicht einer gewissen Logik, dass die Deutungs- u. Erklärungshoheit in Foren momentan jemand anführt, der sowohl ein Kunde als auch ein Wettbewerber der Fotokemika ist.

Daher möchte ich das Aphog-Forum nutzen, um eine neutrale Aufklärungsarbeit zu leisten.

Betriebliche Fertigungsanlagen:
Die Beschichtungs- als auch Trocken-Anlagen in Samobor stammen aus der Du Pont Fabrik in der Nähe von Frankfurt.
Sie waren bereits vor 5 Jahrzehnten nicht mehr Technik neuester Stand.
Arbeitete jedoch, wie wir alle wissen, bis in dem Sommer 2012 hinein.
Neben diesen Anlagen ist auch das maschinelle Umfeld, vor allem die leistungsstarke Klimaanlage, marode.

Lohnende Fertigungs-Volumina:
Fotokemika konnte bereits bei einer Menge von vergleichsweise geringen 800 m² mit Gewinn beschichten.
Voraussetzung dafür war die Verwendung von Film- bzw. Karton-Unterlagen, die nicht extra beschafft werden mussten.
Nur, wenn besondere Anforderungsparameter gestellt wurden, ergaben diese eine abweichende Mindest-Bestellmenge.
In solchen Fällen kauften dann Auftraggeber vor allem Film-Unterlagen auf eigene Rechnung ein.
Und Fotokemika agierte dann als Lohn-Beschichter und Verpacker.

Die konkreten Zahlen stelle ich in Relation zu Argenta, Foma, Forte, Ilford und Oriental:

In meiner Zeit bei der Argenta konnten wir bereits für 800 m² die lichtempfindliche Emulsion „kochen“ und entsprechend flexibel beschichten.

Bei der Foma sind 5.000 m² unkompliziertes Standardmaterial eine Mindestmenge, um ertragreich zu beschichten.

Forte ging - neben anderen Gründen - vor allem auch an einer fehlenden Flexibilität unter.
Ideal waren dort um die 12.000 m².
Sonst gingen auf dem gigantischen Firmengelände die Wärme und Kälte auf dem internen Transportwegen unter.

Harman, so wie man heute aufgestellt ist, kann bereits bei 5.000 m² mit Gewinn arbeiten.
Das teilte Simon Galley kürzlich in einem Forenbeitrag mit.

Oriental brauchte 12.000 m². Das war dann auch ursächlich ausschlaggebend, die Beschichtung der Firma Harman zu übertragen und selbst in Japan nur noch die Qualität zu kontrollieren und zu verpacken.

Nur zur Abrundung:
Die Agfa in Belgien bezeichnet aktuell 30.000 m² als die Mindestmenge, bei der eine individuelle Beschichtung lohnt.

Fazit: An der erforderlichen Mindestmenge kann es also bei der Fotokemia nicht gelegen haben.

Etwas zur Historie:
Fotokemika ist ein privatwirtschaftlich geführtes Unternehmen.
Bis vor wenigen Jahren ein Staatsbetrieb mit teilweise über 2.000 Mitarbeitern in mehreren Betriebsstätten.
Mit eigenen Mitarbeiter-Wohnungen, Sportanlagen und wissenschaftlichen Ausbildungsstätten auf dem Werksgelände in Zagreb.
Nach der Privatisierung blieb von dem Konzernbetrieb nur noch die vergleichsweise kleine Betriebsstätte in Samobor.
In der in besten Zeiten 90 Mitarbeiter benötigt wurden, um Filme zu beschichten.
Später wurde wurde dann auf der vergleichsweise schmalen Anlage (112cm Breite) auch Fotopapier beschichtet.

Handelsausrichtung:
Jugoslawien war stolz auf die Unabhängigkeit. Tito förderte vor allem den Export um dringend benötigte Devisen zu beschaffen.
Die Fotokemika war neben anderen Industrien (vor allem Pharma und Elektro) sehr erfolgreich und belieferte über 100 Länder mit Lichtpauspapier, Silbergelatine-Produkten und Fotochemie. Auch Halbfabrikate.
Fotokemika nahm zuverlässig an der Photokina teil. Deren Stand stand denen der Foma, Forte, Tura, Argenta, Kentmere nicht nach.
Ähnlich der Forte in Ungarn suchte und fand man vor allem im Westen finanzstarke Partner.
Diese sicherten auch durch vorfinanzierte Langzeitproduktionen den Bestand des Unternehmens.

Während des Unabhängigkeitskrieges gegen Serbien wiesen sich die wahren Freunde dadurch aus, auch noch dann in Zagreb zu landen, während auf den Marktplätzen Zagrebs die Raketen einschlugen.

Ich nehme als ein Beispiel von vielen die Firma Paluch aus Frankfurt, die unter dem Namen PAL PAPER in Deutschland sehr bekannt waren.
Vielleicht kennen einige noch den Werbespruch: Einen Fuffi für einen Hunderter! ?
Damit verkaufte der Verkaufsleiter Unmengen 18x24cm fest graduiertes Papier in 100 Blatt Packungen für 50 Mark.
Lastwagenweise! An Klinke Berlin, Brinckmann Hamburg/Dortmund und verschiedene Saturn-Kaufhäuser.
Als der Nachschub aus End-Jugoslawien stoppte, heuerte er bei Tetenal an und stampfte dann dort das WORK-PAPER aus dem Boden, wohl ebenso erfolgreich.

Mahn und Co. kaufte wichtige Formeln und initiierte bei Fotokemika eine Ortho-Film-Produktion, weil die Agfa damals deren Produktion einstellte.
Nach diesem nahezu unglaublichen Anfangserfolg folgte dann mit der Exklusiv-Produktion des Infrarotfilms IR 820c eine noch erfolgreichere Fortsetzung.
Gestützt durch den Verkauf der fantastischen Emaks-Qualität, die als ein möglicher Nachfolger des gerade eingestellten Agfa Record Rapid diente.
Angeboten als expo R.
Das Multibrom basierte auf dem Varycon und war sowohl als PE auch als FB-Variante jahrelang eines der meistverkauften Fotopapiere in Mitteleuropa.

Auch andere Handelsunternehmen begannen vor etwa 20 Jahren mit dem verstärkten Verkauf der Efke „Originalware“ und stellten, anders als ich, die Original Adox-Qualität in den Mittelpunkt.

Mit den Spezialitäten verdiente Fotokemika Geld.
Was mit der Eigenmarke nicht der Fall war, nicht sein konnte. Denn wichtige internationale Handelsunternehmen drängten Fotokemika dazu, immer billiger und immer mehr Papiere anzufertigen. Also, das, was bei Forte und bei der alten Ilford passierte war auch bei der Fotokemia eingetreten.
Bei ständig kleiner werdenden Produktionsmengen wurden die Preise gedrückt.
Bis auf ein Niveau, das es nicht mehr erlaubte, Investitionen in das Überleben zu stecken.

Wenn heute gesagt wird, vergleichsweise geringer Kapitaleinsatz würde reichen, um wieder produzieren zu können – dann fragen sich die Eigentümer:
Für wie lange denn?
Bei dem Alter der Anlagen, bei der nicht vorhandenen Öffentlichkeitsarbeit, im schrumpfenden Markt, bei stark steigenden Rohmaterial-Kosten?

Beste Wünsche:
Ich wünsche vor allem den heute noch dort arbeitendenden liebenswerten Mitarbeitern, aber auch denen die etwa gleichzeitig mit mir in Rente gegangen sind und mit denen ich jahrzehntelang erfolgreich arbeitete, ALLES GUTE!

PS: Vor allem dem Dipl. Ing. Leon Kauzlaric, der aufgrund der freiheitlichen Einstellung die Anstellung als Film-Betriebsleiter verlor.
Trotzdem immer freundlich und hilfsbereit war.

Hartmuth Schroeder