Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Cat likes XOONS! First street shots with Leitz 5cm Summarit (10 photos)
Old 02-26-2012   #1
menos
Registered User
 
menos's Avatar
 
menos is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,639
Cat likes XOONS! First street shots with Leitz 5cm Summarit (10 photos)

Rod here on the forum sold me a Leitz Summarit 5cm ƒ1.5 in need of a CLA (it was a pleasure, to deal with him).

The day, the package arrived, I started to do the CLA. I have been the first human inside this lens, since it's birth in 1956, so it seems, judging from the remaining lubricants, complete lack of marks and pristine looks.

I had the lens finished by Saturday morning, installed the XOONS, I bought from another classified (can't believe my luck) shot my first frames:



















__________________
Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | instagram | facebook
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #2
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,905
Fantastic! THAT is why I enjoy this lens so much.

Alas, I cannot afford the M9 and it appears the M8 is not any closer either.

So, I may be selling some gear soon.
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #3
FPjohn
Registered User
 
FPjohn's Avatar
 
FPjohn is offline
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,642
very good!

yours
FPJ
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #4
Nelson Tan
Registered User
 
Nelson Tan's Avatar
 
Nelson Tan is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 139
Great images!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #5
Penzes
Registered User
 
Penzes is offline
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Netherlands
Age: 47
Posts: 480
Nice, the resoults are stunning!
__________________
regards, Istvαn

my flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #6
LeicaFoReVer
Addicted to Rangefinders
 
LeicaFoReVer's Avatar
 
LeicaFoReVer is offline
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Turkey
Posts: 1,333
stunning, sharp but at the same time dreamy shots. Have you shot them all at f1.5?
__________________
Leica M6 TTL x.72
Leica iiif
Leica Elmar-M 5cm f2.8 (rare early version)
Canon 50mm f/1.2 LTM
Voightlander Color Skopar PII 35mm f2.5
Contax G2 + 45mm & 28mm
Contax RX + Zeiss 50mm f1.4
Olympus OM-4 + 24mm f2.8 + 35mm f2
Fed 3 + jupiter-12
Sony NEX 7


websites:
http://www.blurb.com/user/store/aykutkaraca
http://flickriver.com/photos/2851236...r-interesting/
http://sites.google.com/site/aykutphoto/Home
http://aykutkaraca.webs.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #7
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,602
Dirk, great pictures! You did a fine job cleaning the lens! Really impressive.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #8
mathomas
Registered User
 
mathomas's Avatar
 
mathomas is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 638
Makes me want mine back, esp. since I started shooting film almost exclusively again a couple years ago. I didn't love it so much with my M8, though your results look great here.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #9
photografity
Registered User
 
photografity is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 65
Beautiful shots!!

This is the reason I still hold on to this lens.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #10
Pirate
Guitar playing Fotografer
 
Pirate's Avatar
 
Pirate is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Highland, Mi.
Age: 49
Posts: 1,865
Awesome shots! Thanks for sharing
__________________


Leica II IIIc M3, Mamiya C2, Nikon F, F3P, F5, Hasselblad 500C/M, SW/C, Crown Graphic 4x5, Rollei 3.5F / SLX / Baby Gray, Sinar F and P 4x5, Polaroid 100 & 450 Land, Kodak Retina II and IIa, Fuji GW690II, Graphic View II 4x5.

http://dudewithad700.deviantart.com/
http://arolloffilm.blogspot.com/
My Top 10(12) Best!



  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #11
mbdiesel
Registered User
 
mbdiesel is offline
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 68
I am somewhat new to this lens. I have not printed 2 rolls that I have developed. Your pics are inspiring (although yours were shot in a digital body). I can not believe how expensive this lens is today. Keh has one in bgn condition for over $900. I will hold on to mine.

Anil
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #12
bobkatz
Registered User
 
bobkatz is offline
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Just here
Posts: 295
Thx.....these reminds me I must use my summarit lot more
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #13
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,908
Lovely indeed!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #14
menos
Registered User
 
menos's Avatar
 
menos is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Fantastic! THAT is why I enjoy this lens so much.

Alas, I cannot afford the M9 and it appears the M8 is not any closer either.

So, I may be selling some gear soon.
Dave - no need for that M9, other than convenience (and cost, if you're a steady shooter, consuming film like a chain smoker does cigarettes ;-)

I really like that Summarit, just have to find out, how it's background rendering can be controlled and used meaningfully

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPjohn View Post
very good!

yours
FPJ
Thanks ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson Tan View Post
Great images!
Thanks Nelson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penzes View Post
Nice, the resoults are stunning!
Thanks Istvαn

It's all about the nice people in Shanghai, willing to be subject of my photographic exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeicaFoReVer View Post
stunning, sharp but at the same time dreamy shots. Have you shot them all at f1.5?
All @ ƒ1.5 except "hands with walking stick", the series of the repair man, the smoking man profile - these were shot @ ƒ2.

I slowly walk my way down to ƒ8 with this lens, emphasizing the "slowly - part" here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Dirk, great pictures! You did a fine job cleaning the lens! Really impressive.

Erik.
Thanks a lot Erik ;-)

I am so happy about this lens and a bit proud as well, as this is my first aperture rebuild as well. I thought, I might be in for a challenge and start with 15 blades

The lens is in such a beautiful shape with wonderful, almost new looking chrome and beautiful, beautiful glass. I even got a very nice looking XOONS for it - the perfect way, to shoot this lens - love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
Makes me want mine back, esp. since I started shooting film almost exclusively again a couple years ago. I didn't love it so much with my M8, though your results look great here.
Mike, I understand you - for me, the real magic about the Summarit is made by the beautiful combination of extremely sharp detail in the center, beautiful, soft light falloff and that swirl, that happens mainly in the outmost areas of the image.

The M8 sensor really cuts off a big chunk of that very beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photografity View Post
Beautiful shots!!

This is the reason I still hold on to this lens.
Thanks! Keep it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Awesome shots! Thanks for sharing
Haha - thank you! I am really excited about this lens, as you can imagine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdiesel View Post
I am somewhat new to this lens. I have not printed 2 rolls that I have developed. Your pics are inspiring (although yours were shot in a digital body). I can not believe how expensive this lens is today. Keh has one in bgn condition for over $900. I will hold on to mine.

Anil
You are lucky, you got a sample, you like - prices are going up every minute, so to speak.
You guys should see the going prices in China these days.
I almost lost any interest in visiting the local stores!

I am happy, there is this place here at RFF with such great guys around and chances, to exchange gear to try and play with, not to speak of all the helping hands, should one be in need of information or a little hand holding

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkatz View Post
Thx.....these reminds me I must use my summarit lot more
Haha - yes, you should - these helicoids need a regular workout, to they'll get squeaky


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
Lovely indeed!
Thanks Ray ;-)
__________________
Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | instagram | facebook
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #15
menos
Registered User
 
menos's Avatar
 
menos is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,639
Here is a few more from Sunday (these are all wide open @ ƒ1.5):













__________________
Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | instagram | facebook
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #16
awslee
Registered User
 
awslee's Avatar
 
awslee is offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
Bravo!!!!!
__________________
Andrew

Various FF digital and film cameras
Various old cine lens
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #17
maddoc
... likes film.
 
maddoc's Avatar
 
maddoc is offline
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 名古屋
Age: 53
Posts: 7,309
Very nice, Dirk !! You were lucky and got a well performing copy of this lens !
__________________
- Gabor

flickr
pBase
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #18
lynnb
Registered User
 
lynnb's Avatar
 
lynnb is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 8,508
beautiful images, Dirk! Thank you for posting these samples. Beautiful rendering.
__________________
Lynn
happiest when shooting 35mm and 120 film
RFF Gallery
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2012   #19
Rayt
Registered User
 
Rayt's Avatar
 
Rayt is offline
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,908
How do you do it? People curse me when I point my camera at them in Shanghai.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012   #20
awslee
Registered User
 
awslee's Avatar
 
awslee is offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
How do you do it? People curse me when I point my camera at them in Shanghai.
Go shot with menos in Shanghai and find out!!!
__________________
Andrew

Various FF digital and film cameras
Various old cine lens
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012   #21
Spyro
Registered User
 
Spyro is offline
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Oz
Posts: 919
LOL technically it looks like a terrible lens, and absolutely worth having!
Lovely photos, very good photographer.
__________________
Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012   #22
philipus
ʎɐpɹəʇɥƃıɹq looɟɹəʇƃıɹq
 
philipus's Avatar
 
philipus is offline
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: '(,,,,)°l°
Posts: 1,034
Wow, well done Dirk. The OOF rendering is spectacularly cool.
__________________
philipus.com ••

Camera position: In general as shown in Fig. H and J, but according to requirements other positions are also possible or more practical.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012   #23
Erik van Straten
Registered User
 
Erik van Straten's Avatar
 
Erik van Straten is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 8,602
Dirk is a great technician and photographer at the same time. A seldom seen combination.

Erik.
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012   #24
Biggles
My cup runneth amok.
 
Biggles's Avatar
 
Biggles is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: On a dead-end street in Fist City
Posts: 665
Love these two pictures:





And 99% of cats agree: Leica's crackle-painted lens hoods have an appeal all their own.
__________________
Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2012   #25
helenhill
Mod chasing Shadows Light
 
helenhill's Avatar
 
helenhill is offline
Join Date: May 2008
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 5,640
Wonderful Set Dirk,
the Summarit glow is evident

@Gabir: since Sherry did her 'Touch' your Summarit is also a Stellar Copy
__________________
Flickr.

________________________
To the question "what are you after"
I respond: The Moment...The Memory of what Once was
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012   #26
menos
Registered User
 
menos's Avatar
 
menos is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by awslee View Post
Bravo!!!!!
Thanks Andrew - was great fun, to shoot together, as always!

I just scanned the medium format film from that weekend this morning and will do some uploading in between the disk recoveries and backups, I have to do at the moment


Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Very nice, Dirk !! You were lucky and got a well performing copy of this lens !
Hey Gabor - thanks ;-)
Yes, I am extremely happy about this specific sample of the Summarit, so happy in fact, that I just bought a second pre ASPH 35 Summilux, to pair this lens to

It took me a long, long time, to nail this down, but the fast 50 and fast 35mm primes are my dream lens combo, to shoot on the street.
The Summarit should pair very nice with the pre ASPH Lux!


Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
beautiful images, Dirk! Thank you for posting these samples. Beautiful rendering.
Thank you so much Lynn!
I too like the rendering of the lens, although it will need me some time, to find the best way, to process the files and especially, to handle the different background renderings in certain conditions - a fun lens, to explore!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayt View Post
How do you do it? People curse me when I point my camera at them in Shanghai.
Haha - it's all about the smile, all about the smile


Quote:
Originally Posted by awslee View Post
Go shot with menos in Shanghai and find out!!!
Hehe - yes, if somebody is in Shanghai and likes to shoot some pictures with a bunch of people, who love photography, but don't take themselves too serious, come around ;-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyro View Post
LOL technically it looks like a terrible lens, and absolutely worth having!
Lovely photos, very good photographer.
Haha Spyro - these are the lenses, I love the most
Must be, why I am not so hot anymore with the latest ASPH lenses (actually sold or mostly prevented them), but use that old magic stuff.


Quote:
Originally Posted by philipus View Post
Wow, well done Dirk. The OOF rendering is spectacularly cool.
Thank you - and yes! Man, that bokeh is crazy - the really spectacular thing about the Summarit though is, how it can change character from wild, psychedelic backgrounds to super smooth, modern rendering with extremely sharp center detail, once, you stop it down to ƒ2!

Compare those wide open portraits with the craziness going on and the series of the repair workshop owner (those were at ƒ2)!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Dirk is a great technician and photographer at the same time. A seldom seen combination.

Erik.
Haha - Erik, that's too nice of you, to write that

I am just a regular guy, who loves taking things apart (and putting them back together, if at all possible) since, being a kid + having an endless curiosity about anything technical and unknown to me.

I happen too, to like to take pictures, so …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Love these two pictures:

…
And 99% of cats agree: Leica's crackle-painted lens hoods have an appeal all their own.
Aah - yes, these really show the Summarit character Biggles ;-)
When I saw those the first time, I am really in love with that crazy Summarit swirl and played around quite a bit, to reproduce that aspect of the lens - I looooove swirly lenses - a pity, Leica doesn't make them anymore


Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Wonderful Set Dirk,
the Summarit glow is evident

@Gabir: since Sherry did her 'Touch' your Summarit is also a Stellar Copy
Hey Helen - thank you certainly [bows with a greeting]

Who could not love a beautiful Summarit?
__________________
Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | instagram | facebook
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2012   #27
menos
Registered User
 
menos's Avatar
 
menos is offline
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 2,639
So, how about that swirl?

Here is swirly pictures with the 5cm Summarit ƒ1.5:





… and some warm glow in the winter cold of a Shanghai local shopping street:


… right next to a welding shop:
__________________
Dirk | teknopunk.com | 500px | flickr | instagram | facebook
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #28
photografity
Registered User
 
photografity is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 65
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by menos View Post
So, how about that swirl?

Here is swirly pictures with the 5cm Summarit ƒ1.5:





… and some warm glow in the winter cold of a Shanghai local shopping street:


… right next to a welding shop:
The crazy swirls is what makes this summarit so special & unique!!
When you stop down, it becomes as sharp as my buddy's summicron!!
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #29
porktaco
Registered User
 
porktaco's Avatar
 
porktaco is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,465
i love my summarit
__________________
- Adam

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2012   #30
photografity
Registered User
 
photografity is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 65
Shot with the RD-1 @ f4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3911190598.jpg (41.7 KB, 25 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012   #31
ipu
Registered User
 
ipu is offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 26
Is this lens m-mount or LTM? And is there a difference between m-mount Summarit and LTM summarit? (If there even is an m-mount Summarit...)
This lens is great!!! How is it when not shot wide open? Does that swirly effect go away when stopped down? Do you guys have any idea how much should I have to pay for one of these, one that would not be in superb condition?
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012   #32
photografity
Registered User
 
photografity is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipu
Is this lens m-mount or LTM? And is there a difference between m-mount Summarit and LTM summarit? (If there even is an m-mount Summarit...)
This lens is great!!! How is it when not shot wide open? Does that swirly effect go away when stopped down? Do you guys have any idea how much should I have to pay for one of these, one that would not be in superb condition?
The Summarit was made in both LTM & M-mount. No difference between the two as far as I know. As you stop down, the swirly effect becomes less.
The last I checked, the Summarit in ex+ goes over $1k, which is crazy!
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012   #33
porktaco
Registered User
 
porktaco's Avatar
 
porktaco is offline
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,465


do like
__________________
- Adam

M digital, M film, X digital.

More photos at my flickr, some of which is friends & family only. Please feel free to message me to become a flickr friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2012   #34
Redridge
Registered User
 
Redridge is offline
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 8
so is the swirl because of how the lens was ground? sorry for the newbie question....
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012   #35
Austerby
Registered User
 
Austerby's Avatar
 
Austerby is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fircombe
Posts: 1,066
I love my Summarit: there are times when it is quite mad:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidwatts/3016067548/


(still can't work out how to post images to this forum...)
__________________
Austerby
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012   #36
burancap
Registered User
 
burancap's Avatar
 
burancap is offline
Join Date: May 2010
Location: South Carolina
Age: 54
Posts: 2,193
Menos -excellent stuff as always!

Not unlike your OP, I also recently obtained a Summarit that was in need of a CLA. It took a few hours to get everything back in shape, but I am afraid the the exterior of the front element hinders its performance (the rest of the glass was fine). I have no where near the center sharpness that you exhibit in your fine examples. It is just soft, soft, soft -almost foggy.

The front almost looks "fungusy" rather than marked, so I might simply set it on a window sill for some time and hope for the best. Short of that, has anyone had any luck having the front element polished? Your examples have inspired me to think it may well be worth the cost.
__________________
Jeff
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012   #37
dave lackey
Registered User
 
dave lackey's Avatar
 
dave lackey is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Posts: 8,905
This is such a quality lens. Had mine cleaned by Youxin not too long ago. It has been my only lens on the M3 for the last 3 years.
__________________


Dave
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2012   #38
photografity
Registered User
 
photografity is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by burancap
Menos -excellent stuff as always!

Not unlike your OP, I also recently obtained a Summarit that was in need of a CLA. It took a few hours to get everything back in shape, but I am afraid the the exterior of the front element hinders its performance (the rest of the glass was fine). I have no where near the center sharpness that you exhibit in your fine examples. It is just soft, soft, soft -almost foggy.

The front almost looks "fungusy" rather than marked, so I might simply set it on a window sill for some time and hope for the best. Short of that, has anyone had any luck having the front element polished? Your examples have inspired me to think it may well be worth the cost.
I had mine done by John Van Stelten @ Focal Point, it came back feeling & looking like a new lens.
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012   #39
tenderobject
paper negative
 
tenderobject is offline
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philippines
Posts: 117
very interesting results! have an old summarit cleaned already but the front lens coating is deteriorating. anyone would give advice? do i need to send it somewhere for repolish and recoating or just leave it like that? how is this lens perform with colour/reversal film?
__________________
FILM GUERILLA
Film photography all day!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
Film Guerilla Blog

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+
  Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2012   #40
photografity
Registered User
 
photografity is offline
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderobject
very interesting results! have an old summarit cleaned already but the front lens coating is deteriorating. anyone would give advice? do i need to send it somewhere for repolish and recoating or just leave it like that? how is this lens perform with colour/reversal film?
Focal Point does re-coating as well as CLA.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 20:02.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.