Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Sony Alpha / NEX Mirrorless > Sony NEX APS-C format

Sony NEX APS-C format For the many Sony fixed lens digital compact cameras

My New Sony Nex-3 Body!
Old 02-07-2011   #1
Nokton48

My New Sony Nex-3 Body!

Played with the Nex-3 at BestBuy last night, and I don't like the dedicated E lenses, but the body is really cool! I decided that I would like to have one, to use with my LTM Canon, Minolta MC Rokkors, Hasselblad, and my wife's Canon EOS EF-S lenses.

One of the auctions I was watching dropped the price this morning for a new-in-the-box Black Body, everything but the lenses. At $359 Plus $7 shipping I pulled the trigger. And went to RainbowImaging on the auction site, and ordered Canon EOS, Minolta MC, M39 LTM, and Leica M-mount adpters, for $23.95 each.

Need some extra batteries and cards, and a $19.95 Hoodman from B&H, and I'll be set. Great Fun Ahead! The Nex-3 Rocks!

Last edited by Nokton48 : 11-17-2011 at 02:20.

Old 02-08-2011   #2
Nokton48

OK Picked this at B&H, for use when the sun is particularly bright outside. I have heard it works well on the Nex-3:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...rder_Hood.html

The camera comes with charger and a 4-gig card, also picked up from B&H, an 8-gig card, and an extra Sony brand battery.

Hoping everything arrives soon, have another inside weekend rock gig. It will be FUN to alternate all my lenses between my three Leica-M's, and Nex-3. Looking forward to giving it a good test.

Old 02-08-2011   #3
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Congrats on the purchase, you wouldn't be sorry. I don't get the hood thing, but let us know how it works. I use mainly M-mount lenses but the kit zoom is handy for the kid's birthday party.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 02-08-2011   #4
Nokton48

Thanks for your comments, Ken. Based on what I have seen here and elsewhere come from the Nex-3, I'm quite sure I will be satisfied with the results I'll be getting. Can't wait.

The lenses I am first looking forward to using on the Nex-3, are my vintage Canon LTM lenses. The 19mm FL F3.5 (with the Canon B converter), the 35mm F1.5, the 50mm F1.2, and the 85mm F1.5. These are my go-to lenses, which I use constantly on my Leica M2, M4-2 and M5.

In Minolta MC Rokkor the 16mm F2.8 Fisheye, 21mm F2.8, 35mm F1.8, the 50mm F1.2, 85mm F1.7 and 100mm F2.5. Amazing SLR lenses.

Last edited by Nokton48 : 11-17-2011 at 02:21.

Old 02-08-2011   #5
beyond
Jason Beyond

Wow. Buying spree
Have fun with the camera. I did.

Old 02-08-2011   #6
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Congratulations on the NEX.. You've got lots of combinations to try out. That'll keep you off the streets for a while. Just remember these old lenses often contain a lot of dirt, so you might want to blow them clean before mounting on the NEX. The sensor cleaning in the NEX is a bit handicapped in that it only works with the battery 75% charged or higher. Keep us posted on your findings! I'm very interested in how the NEX works out with the longer glass (especially the Telyts)..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 02-08-2011   #7
DougFord
on the good foot

with a zeiss 24mm coming out in '11 along with a 30mm, 50mm and a 55-200mm, i'd say the nex is in the mix again.
see the lens road map

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/hot-a77-and-more/

Old 02-09-2011   #8
Nokton48

What is particularly Kewl about the Nex-3, for me, is that I can slip it into a crevice in my old F2 Domke bag, along with the adapters, and I'm ready to alternate 35mm film and digital, just about as quickly as I can write about it. I've always been a sort of purist, one of the "Digital Sucks" guys, but the Nex-3 has opened my eyes to the possibilities that abound. It's going to be a hoot.

Is anybody using the generic batteries in the Nex-3? I'll have two sets of Sonys' in the bag, but the generics seems cheap enough, on the big auction site. Reports indicate that the Nex-3 is a battery sucker, so a few extra sets seem a good idea to me. Anybody here using them, do they work OK in the Nex-3?

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-09-2011 at 03:01.

Old 02-09-2011   #9
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

The NEX3 likes a bit of juice indeed.. at least it appears to be that way. I haven't run down the batteries beyond 30% though. Not sure how many shots you can fork out of that last bit of charge. For a second battery, I got an original Sony one despite the price hike. I've seen first hand what can happen when a battery explodes.. not only does it make a hell of a bang, but it also leaves a tremendous mess behind. With originals I've got at least the impression that it's put together with safety considered.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 02-09-2011   #10
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
The NEX3 likes a bit of juice indeed.. at least it appears to be that way. I haven't run down the batteries beyond 30% though. Not sure how many shots you can fork out of that last bit of charge. For a second battery, I got an original Sony one despite the price hike. I've seen first hand what can happen when a battery explodes.. not only does it make a hell of a bang, but it also leaves a tremendous mess behind. With originals I've got at least the impression that it's put together with safety considered.
That's a good point about safety. Perhaps I should stick to the Sony batteries, I have two so far. I'm also thinking about the possibilities of feeding two Nex-3 bodies at once, in the future. Certainly wouldn't take up that much more room in the Domke bag.

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-28-2011 at 02:13.

Old 02-09-2011   #11
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvdhaar View Post
Congratulations on the NEX.. You've got lots of combinations to try out. That'll keep you off the streets for a while. Just remember these old lenses often contain a lot of dirt, so you might want to blow them clean before mounting on the NEX. The sensor cleaning in the NEX is a bit handicapped in that it only works with the battery 75% charged or higher. Keep us posted on your findings! I'm very interested in how the NEX works out with the longer glass (especially the Telyts)..
Never heard this. Where is this from?

Old 02-09-2011   #12
bensyverson

I'm looking forward to the 24mm lens in the Sony E mount roadmap... Hopefully it will be f/2 rather than f/2.8. If so, I may sell some old stuff and pick up a NEX!

Old 02-09-2011   #13
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Never heard this. Where is this from?
This is in the manual that is on the CD-ROM that comes with the camera.. Directory Handbook/GB/Handbook.pdf page 111.

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 02-10-2011   #14
Nokton48

The RainbowImaging Adapters (MD,FD,M & LTM) arrived yesterday, the build quality is good. Also picked up a screen protector, and a black vinyl halfcase that will look perfect with the black body. And a few front and back caps. Is anybody here using the viewfinder adapter from www.jtec-online.com ?

If I put a Hasselblad to Canon FD, and FD to NEX adapter onto the body, I can shoot digital photos with all of my Hasselblad lenses. I have the 30, 40, 50, 80, 100, 120, 135, 150, 250, and 350. Not bad and probably worth a try for $35.

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-10-2011 at 03:30.

Old 02-10-2011   #15
berlincontemporary
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nokton48 View Post
I'm ready to alternate 35mm film and digital, just about as quickly as I can write about it. I've always been a sort of purist, one of the "Digital Sucks" guys, but the Nex-3 has opened my eyes to the possibilities that abound.
Dont fool yourself. You will end either completeley digital or sell the NEX and go back to film exclusively.

I have yet to see a dedicated film and digital photographer.

Old 02-10-2011   #16
beyond
Jason Beyond

Where did you order the half case from? Can share the source and pic?

Old 02-10-2011   #17
Lss

Quote:
Originally Posted by berlincontemporary View Post
I have yet to see a dedicated film and digital photographer.
I have a feeling there are many such people on RFF, not that I'm keeping a count.

Old 02-10-2011   #18
kshapero
Starting to get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
Got mine from Sony. Love it.

Old 02-10-2011   #19
FPjohn

Quote:
The RainbowImaging Adapters (MD,FD,M & LTM) arrived yesterday, the build quality is good. Also picked up a screen protector, and a black vinyl halfcase that will look perfect with the black body. And a few front and back caps. Is anybody here using the viewfinder adapter from www.jtec-online.com ?

If I put a Hasselblad to Canon FD, and FD to NEX adapter onto the body, I can shoot digital photos with all of my Hasselblad lenses. I have the 30, 40, 50, 80, 100, 120, 135, 150, 250, and 350. Not bad and probably worth a try for $35.
Hello:

The jtec shoe fits the Nex 5 but does not fit the Nex 3. jtec appears to never have looked at the nex 3 as they claim the shoe fits both.

Hopefully, Sony will make the shoe to their Nex optical finder available as an in box accessory .

yours
FPJ

Last edited by FPjohn : 02-10-2011 at 06:10.

battery info.
Old 02-10-2011   #20
ampguy

battery info.

I have a couple from ebay seller 4ushop777. Have only charged them up once or twice each, so I don't know how they will hold up, but initially they are lasting as long as the Sony.

I've used 3rd party batteries on much larger devices including several sony and canon camcorders, some don't last as long, but in many cases they run at about 80%, and have about an 80% lifespan at a fraction of the cost.

Be sure to read the li-ion battery faqs, don't fully discharge them each cycle, etc.

Quote:
What is particularly Kewl about the Nex-3, for me, is that I can slip it into a crevice in my old F2 Domke bag, along with the adapters, and I'm ready to alternate 35mm film and digital, just about as quickly as I can write about it. I've always been a sort of purist, one of the "Digital Sucks" guys, but the Nex-3 has opened my eyes to the possibilities that abound. It's going to be a hoot.

Is anybody using the generic batteries in the Nex-3? I'll have two sets of Sonys' in the bag, but the generics seems cheap enough, on the big auction site. Reports indicate that the Nex-3 is a battery sucker, so a few extra sets seem a good idea to me. Anybody here using them, do they work OK in the Nex-3?

Old 02-10-2011   #21
douglasf13

Quote:
Played with the Nex-3 at BestBuy last night, and I don't like the dedicated E lenses, but the body is really cool! I decided that I would like to have one, to use with my LTM Canon, Leitz M, Minolta MC Rokkors, and my wife's Canon EOS EF-S lenses.

One of the auctions I was watching dropped the price this morning for a new-in-the-box Black Body, everything but the lenses. At $359 Plus $7 shipping I pulled the trigger. And went to RainbowImaging on the auction site, and ordered Canon EOS, Minolta MC, M39 LTM, and Leica M-mount adpters, for $23.95 each.

Need some extra batteries and cards, and a $19.95 Hoodman from B&H, and I'll be set. Great Fun Ahead! The Nex-3 Rocks!
Congrats on the new cam! I've had fine success with generic batteries, but use at your own risk!

You may also consider the Clearviewer. I've been using one on the NEX-5, and it is a great EVF alternative.

BTW, they don't make a case that I've seen for the NEX-3, but, for those looking for a great NEX-5 case, check out those by Ciesta. I've owned a couple half cases, and this company got it right by leaving a space to get to the tilt up LCD on the side. Very high quality:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Ciesta-Leath...#ht_7639wt_907

Here's What I Ordered For My Nex-3.
Old 02-10-2011   #22
Nokton48

Here's What I Ordered For My Nex-3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
This one does fit the Nex-3.
I ordered black, with white stitching:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Whew! I thought I made a mistake!

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-10-2011 at 14:46.

Old 02-10-2011   #23
douglasf13

I also have a HorusBennu case, but you'll probably upgrade eventually, because the real leather half cases don't get as sweaty on the fingers, and they seem to fit a bit better, in the case of my NEX-5.

Old 02-10-2011   #24
ampguy

Years ago I bought a bunch of these Sony CyberShot cases, mainly for lenses, guitar pedals, hoods, etc., but now my Nex with 16/2.8 fits very well, it's the same bag I've used for my Fuji P&S's, and about a 1/3rd as small as my smallest D40x case with single lens, so I can carry an APS-C with me anywhere!

Has stretch pockets on the sides for batteries, sd cards, and an inner pocket inside for more sdcards or whatever. It's a tight fit with the plastic back cover, so at some point, I might fit an iphone type adhesive covering over the lcd for a looser fit.

Old 02-10-2011   #25
douglasf13

Here is a pic of the Ciesta that I have for the NEX-5 (Italian leather, hand made in Korea.) Quality wise, it falls somewhere in between Mr. Zhou and Luigi's, although probably very close to Luigi. The best thing about it, as I mentioned earlier, is that there is a notch/cutaway for the LCD, so you can grab the side of the LCD for tilt purposes:

Last edited by douglasf13 : 02-10-2011 at 18:37.

Old 02-11-2011   #26
Nokton48

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPjohn View Post
Hello:

The jtec shoe fits the Nex 5 but does not fit the Nex 3. jtec appears to never have looked at the nex 3 as they claim the shoe fits both.

Hopefully, Sony will make the shoe to their Nex optical finder available as an in box accessory .

yours
FPJ
Does anybody make a cold shoe that fits the Nex-3? BTW Thank you for the above information.

jtec
Old 02-12-2011   #27
ampguy

jtec

makes a ~$60 cold shoe for the nex.

http://jtec-online.com/coldshoe.html

Quote:
Here's a review of the new Sony Nex-3 Viewfinder. Looks alot like Voigtlander, perhaps made by Cosina for Sony? Cost = $199, that's alot for a viewfinder. Somebody needs to make a cold shoe.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PROD...VIEWFINDER.HTM

Minolta 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor on Nex-3.
Old 02-19-2011   #28
Nokton48

Minolta 58mm F1.2 MC Rokkor on Nex-3.

Nex-3 Test Images, 58mm Minolta F1.2 MC Rokkor ISO 1600:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nex501.2test1.jpg (38.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg nextest3.jpg (29.9 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-19-2011 at 14:15.

LTM Canon 50mm F1.2 Nex-3 EI 1600
Old 02-19-2011   #29
Nokton48

LTM Canon 50mm F1.2 Nex-3 EI 1600

Another couple Nex-3 Tests. Canon 50mm F1.2 LTM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nexcanon1.2.jpg (65.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg nexcanon1.2test2.jpg (50.5 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-19-2011 at 10:14.

A Bit of Smut.
Old 02-19-2011   #30
Nokton48

A Bit of Smut.

Canon 35mm F1.5 and 85mm F1.5 on Nex-3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03654.jpg (67.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03656.jpg (70.6 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-19-2011 at 10:28.

One More Bit of Smut.
Old 02-19-2011   #31
Nokton48

One More Bit of Smut.

280mm Leitz Telyt (with Visoflex II).

Also 50mm F1.2 LTM Canon, and new Nex Half-case (just arrived today). I like the case so far, It'll do just fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03655.jpg (64.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03660.jpg (68.0 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-19-2011 at 13:46.

Nex-3 From Today.
Old 02-19-2011   #32
Nokton48

Nex-3 From Today.

21mm F2.8 Minolta MC Rokkor.

200mm F3.5 Minolta MC Rokkor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nex4.jpg (76.3 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00114.JPG (65.6 KB, 90 views)

Old 02-19-2011   #33
FPjohn

Thanks for the Rokkor images. Excellent glass. I must resist.

yours
FPJ

Canon EOS Nex Porno.
Old 02-20-2011   #34
Nokton48

Canon EOS Nex Porno.

Canon EOS EFS 10-22mm on Nex-3. Definately extreme Ultra-Wide. Amazing quality, and lightweight, but bulky rig.

This lens belongs to the wife, I might be able to borrow it (sometimes!) so I bought the EOS adapter for that reason.

Just uploaded the newest V3.0 Firmware update from Sony. Easy to do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03662.jpg (68.6 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by Nokton48 : 02-20-2011 at 06:37.

More Nex-3, From Yesterday.
Old 02-21-2011   #35
Nokton48

More Nex-3, From Yesterday.

Canon RF 35mm F1.5 lens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nexcanon35.jpg (61.6 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg 2canon35nex.jpg (48.8 KB, 55 views)

Minolta MC Rokkor Fisheye 16mm F2.8 on Nex-3.
Old 02-21-2011   #36
Nokton48

Minolta MC Rokkor Fisheye 16mm F2.8 on Nex-3.

I really like this lens, and it works just great on the Nex-3. I walked all through the local botanical garden today, and never changed lenses.

Still getting used to the V3.0 Firmware upgrade, but it's working well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fishnex1.jpg (90.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg fishnex2.jpg (68.3 KB, 54 views)

Old 02-21-2011   #37
raid
Dad Photographer

What is a good street price in the USA for the NEX-3?

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-21-2011   #38
kxl
Social Documentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
What is a good street price in the USA for the NEX-3?
$499 with the 16mm lens and $549 with the 18-55mm seem to be the going rate (@ Amazon and @ Sony Style), so any legitimate prices below that would be good deals as of today.

"... I thought the only way to give us an incentive, to bring hope, is to show the pictures of the pristine planet - to see the innocence.” ― Sebastiao Salgado

Old 02-21-2011   #39
raid
Dad Photographer

It seems that getting the 16mm lens is better than buying the camera alone.

Do you lose AF with other type of lenses with the NEX?

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 02-21-2011   #40
uhoh7

good deal on body only:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/984070