Old 01-17-2020   #121
FrozenInTime

How much darkroom time would you get for $7000 from a professional printer if you payed them to make toned fibre prints.

The counter is film just cannot attain the high ISO quality of a monochrome digital sensor.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 01-17-2020   #122
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
Is this camera “$2295 better” than an SL2?
Is it $5500 better” than an SL?

(Still thinking this over)
Better is a funny metric. If you make really large prints regularly, crop extensively and want additional grey tonal separation this is the machine for you. Remember that it’s true resolution as it is minus Bayer, is closer to 55 MP.
Big-ass files. Have the computing power for it?

Old 01-17-2020   #123
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

The M10 on Rockwell's site has the screw past vertical.

Even if a screw is just a screw, I think Leica could've added about US$250 to the price if they had placed very short fine tickmarks over the top half of the screw. It adds to the aura of precision.

Anyway, 41MP monochrome is impressive. I applaud those who use this camera as intended and whose work benefits from what it can provide.

Old 01-17-2020   #124
airfrogusmc

James I think for many the better DR and higher ISO is the trade off for larger files. I think 24MPs is plenty even for large prints especially with programs like On One Genuine Fractals. But with the higher ISO, better DR and much better handling of the M 10 has me thinking about maybe selling my original MM, my M-E and a couple of lenses to finance one.

Old 01-17-2020   #125
james.liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
James I think for many the better DR and higher ISO is the trade off for larger files. I think 24MPs is plenty even for large prints especially with programs like On One Genuine Fractals. But with the higher ISO, better DR and much better handling of the M 10 has me thinking about maybe selling my original MM, my M-E and a couple of lenses to finance one.
I’ve seen your work on the Monochrom and you’re probably one of the rarified few who can put the extra MPs, DR and resolution to good use.

Old 01-17-2020   #126
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
Better is a funny metric. If you make really large prints regularly, crop extensively and want additional grey tonal separation this is the machine for you. Remember that it’s true resolution as it is minus Bayer, is closer to 55 MP.
Big-ass files. Have the computing power for it?
No. I have two work stations, but one is at my office and one at home but is outdated.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 01-17-2020   #127
james.liam

Quote:
No. I have two work stations, but one is at my office and one at home but is outdated.
Same here.

Old 01-17-2020   #128
raid
Dad Photographer

That's another $3000 for a good work station to match the MP power of the M10 Monochrom.

Old 01-17-2020   #129
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.liam View Post
I’ve seen your work on the Monochrom and you’re probably one of the rarified few who can put the extra MPs, DR and resolution to good use.
Thanks James

Old 01-17-2020   #130
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Quote:
That's another $3000 for a good work station to match the MP power of the M10 Monochrom.
So maybe the M9M is more realistic for some of us who have more modest computers? But might we still need a dedicated black and white printer?

Old 01-17-2020   #131
airfrogusmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-F View Post
So maybe the M9M is more realistic for some of us who have more modest computers? But might we still need a dedicated black and white printer?
Rob,

I get really good B&W prints from an Epson 2880.

Old 01-17-2020   #132
lynnb

Jono Slack's "M10M field report" on Leica Forum. He compares the M10M with the original Monochrom:
Quote:
What is immediately clear is that both cameras are actually quite usable right through the ISO range, but there has been a huge boost in image quality over the last 8 years, and the difference between the cameras in terms of noise amounted to about 2 - 3 stops. So that the M9M at 10,000 ISO was marginally better than the M10M at 100,000 ISO but not as good as the M10M at 64,000 ISO.
Unfortunately the picture samples he provides are not that large.
Flickr

Old 01-18-2020   #133
Alberti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Richard,

Someone should start a poll focusing not on the merits of a new camera, but the single screw on the proposed M10M.

Should provide mucho conflict and somehow sadly reflects the era we live in of polarizing and division that is happening around the world.

Pretty high entertainment value. LOL. Let's sort this out before we launch missiles.

Cal
oh come on, screw it

Old 01-18-2020   #134
Alberti

Quote:
So maybe the M9M is more realistic for some of us who have more modest computers?
  • But might we still need a dedicated black and white printer?
And
  • of course we need a B/W monitor - EIZO has these, for radiologists, with a terrific dark black level. It does allow color text of your PP engine. Could be tilted too. I almost pulled the trigger on one in the classifieds.

Old 01-18-2020   #135
Vince Lupo

Quote:
No. You can get along just fine with something like a 3880/P800 and the OEM inks. Piezography not required (although I'm sure some here would beg to differ!). Nice paper helps though. I do all my exhibition prints on my 3880 and am now using beautiful Epson Legacy Platine paper, has the look and feel of FB darkroom prints.

I'm still on the fence with buying this camera. I'm pretty happy with my 246 and the results I've been getting from it for the last 5 years. However, I just got a Nikon Z7 and - though it's early days yet - I'm pretty amazed at the results I've been getting from it. Plus the Nikon 'roadmap' indicates a 61mp Z8 coming out later this year and the new 50/1.2, so I may wait to see if that comes to pass.

However, it can be a bit difficult to resist the pull of Leica and forever chasing after the latest and (supposedly!) greatest. I'm trying my best to hold off -- I may lose the battle though

Flickr Albums: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/sets/

Check Out Our Latest Work On Our Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/direction-one-inc/

'Mapping the West' - Named as one of the Best Photo Exhibits of 2016 by the Washington City Paper: http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

Old 01-18-2020   #136
raydm6

Review and images:

Old 01-18-2020   #137
Tim Gray

Quote:
I process my Sony A7rII photos on a 5 year old MacBook. Wasn’t a bad machine back in the day, but you can get the equivalent without breaking the bank now. It’s not blindingly fast, but I’ve not had any issues whatsoever.

The Sony has 42 megapixel files, and I would imagine the debayering process is somewhat processor intensive. As far as I understand, these Monochrom monochrome DNGs are just fancy monochrome TIFF files.

Old 01-18-2020   #138
DominikDUK

I don't know why but the picture examples leave me cold. They have great tonality and are sharp but they are missing something, maybe they are just too perfect. I admit that I often prefer B/W images made with older cameras (ccd sensor) that still exhibit some sensor noise to modern (cmos) cameras. The good news is that I expect that the price for the older monochrome will go down. So there is a Leica for everyone.

Old 01-18-2020   #139
lynnb

Gregory Simpson's review and pictures are based on night street shooting in Tokyo. I think his picture samples give a better idea of performance but again, the image sizes are web display and not full size. They look good to my eye at that size and resolution though.
Flickr

Old 01-18-2020   #140
FrozenInTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Gregory Simpson's review and pictures are based on night street shooting in Tokyo. I think his picture samples give a better idea of performance but again, the image sizes are web display and not full size. They look good to my eye at that size and resolution though.
That is a great review.
I love this paragraph:
By the time the battery charged to 80%, Vancouver was engulfed in the darkness of night. I switched on the M10 Monochrom, snickered sardonically as I rotated the new ISO dial to 12,500, walked out onto my balcony and took a single, hand-held shot of the city using one of the slowest lenses I own — the Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH. I walked back into the office, popped the SD card into the Mac, fired up Lightroom, and got blown over like that guy in the classic Maxell Tape ad. There was seemingly no way the fidelity of a late night, high ISO shot could be this good. There was precious little noise, scads of detail, and oodles of malleable dynamic range. When I pushed the shadows so hard they resembled daylight, there was no visible banding. And what shadow noise did get amplified was a random, fine, and organic dusting.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 01-18-2020   #141
benlees

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenInTime View Post
That is a great review.
I love this paragraph: By the time the battery charged to 80%, Vancouver was engulfed in the darkness of night. I switched on the M10 Monochrom, snickered sardonically as I rotated the new ISO dial to 12,500, walked out onto my balcony and took a single, hand-held shot of the city using one of the slowest lenses I own — the Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH. I walked back into the office, popped the SD card into the Mac, fired up Lightroom, and got blown over like that guy in the classic Maxell Tape ad. There was seemingly no way the fidelity of a late night, high ISO shot could be this good. There was precious little noise, scads of detail, and oodles of malleable dynamic range. When I pushed the shadows so hard they resembled daylight, there was no visible banding. And what shadow noise did get amplified was a random, fine, and organic dusting.
I like that: noise becomes 'organic dusting'.

The noise was like the warmth and smell of a bakery, the equipment lightly dusted with flour from the magic created by last nights saints of sourdough.

Old 01-18-2020   #142
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
I like that: noise becomes 'organic dusting'.

The noise was like the warmth and smell of a bakery, the equipment lightly dusted with flour from the magic created by last nights saints of sourdough.
If it was a Sony it would be called digitized dirt.

Old 01-18-2020   #143
Huss

There is a M10M thread on fredmiranda.com:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1631448

Not one mention of the messed up skwew. Very disappointing that they do not have their priorities right.

Old 01-18-2020   #144
Emile de Leon

Quote:
I don't know why but the picture examples leave me cold.
Agreed.
Maybe its in the processing..as in..it could be a lot better..
Kinda "mushy" for lack of a better word..

Old 01-18-2020   #145
airfrogusmc

Maybe better to see actual prints than back lit compressed jpgs on web sites huh? Actually work with the files to be able to experience the real difference.

Old 01-18-2020   #146
SaveKodak

Much is made of 'bayer free' images, but give me a break. 40mp is 40mp, not 'secretly' 55. If you want to shoot in color right now and get around bayer interpolation, grab a Pentax K-1 which has pixel shift. Do yourself one better and get an S1R which has pixel shift and multishot for 189mp images.

No one is ever going to notice or care that your camera had no bayer interpolation.

Old 01-18-2020   #147
airfrogusmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPgpGWceUWo

Old 01-18-2020   #148
Richard G

Gregory Simpson’s three part review of the original Monochrom was wonderful. This one too is convincing. The great thing about Leica is confortably living with old technology, not just a IIIf or M2, but the M9 and M9M. Still, I would like this new one I admit.

Old 01-18-2020   #149
gnuyork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
Much is made of 'bayer free' images, but give me a break. 40mp is 40mp, not 'secretly' 55. If you want to shoot in color right now and get around bayer interpolation, grab a Pentax K-1 which has pixel shift. Do yourself one better and get an S1R which has pixel shift and multishot for 189mp images.

No one is ever going to notice or care that your camera had no bayer interpolation.
Easy to say that but have you seen Foveon files and what they can do?

Old 01-18-2020   #150
Pál_K
Cameras. I has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominikDUK View Post
I don't know why but the picture examples leave me cold. They have great tonality and are sharp but they are missing something, maybe they are just too perfect. ...
My thoughts are exactly the same. Tonality: perfect. Resolution: perfect. But emotionally it's like I'm looking at a 4K high definition security camera capture.

Perhaps my tastes were developed and fixed in the 1970's, where I want nighttime images to look like Tri-X and with only a hint of what's in the shadows.

Old 01-19-2020   #151
icebear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominikDUK View Post
I don't know why but the picture examples leave me cold. They have great tonality and are sharp but they are missing something, maybe they are just too perfect. ...

I am with you and overall the examples that are published online aren't showing any detail crops. These are images with no emotional content, so no matter the camera, MP or ISO if the photographer hasn't captured anything interesting, it will leave the viewer cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveKodak View Post
Much is made of 'bayer free' images, but give me a break. 40mp is 40mp, not 'secretly' 55....
I guess you are right but it's just w/o the BFA that get the true 40MP. With the filter you have 10MP red, 10MP blue and 20MP green and some fancy algorhythm that gives "calculated 40MP". With a true BW sensor you get the true luminecense value without heavy processing.

I don't have an M10 and an MM10 but I have the M9 and orig. MM and the files of the MM are head and shoulders above the M9 whatever the statistically identical 18MP number says. I expect the same to be true for the M10/MM10 twins.

Thinking about trading in a Noctilux 1.0 for M10...

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall

Old 01-19-2020   #152
jsrockit

Quote:
I don’t think these file size differences are as huge as some think. If your computer handles 20-24mp files perfectly fine, it’ll handle 40mp + files also. If it’s already struggling...then, ok.

Old 01-19-2020   #153
helenhill
mod chasing light

Just watched Farkas’ on Youtube... that Alan/ Airfrog posted above
Thoroughly enjoyed his talk. At last I know how digital sensors work, lol. Yes late to the Party.
Excited !

When it came to showing the photos from Leica
I fell disappointed. I thought that a majority seemed rather flat
as if the light was just on the surface

Not having that magical quality of ‘Light’ seeping thru deep recesses, Coming from the furtherest back, illuminating the Image,
Even the tonal range , though it had lovely complexity still to my Eye had no Atmosphere ... Glow, Luminosity.
More like a dystopian world of flat greys

I would still like to try (not buy) the camera
I might jump on the ‘original’

Old 01-19-2020   #154
Out to Lunch

$ 8,295. My advice...buy a handbag for $ 6,000 and feel good about your savings.

Old 01-19-2020   #155
Out to Lunch

It takes some courage to look away and explore other venues...

Old 01-19-2020   #156
35photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Just watched Farkas’ on Youtube... that Alan/ Airfrog posted above
Thoroughly enjoyed his talk. At last I know how digital sensors work, lol. Yes late to the Party.
Excited !

I fell disappointed. I thought that a majority seemed rather flat
as if the light was just on the surface

Not having that magical quality of ‘Light’ seeping thru deep recesses, Coming from the furtherest back, illuminating the Image,
Even the tonal range , though it had lovely complexity still to my Eye had no Atmosphere ... Glow, Luminosity.

Remember when shooting RAW... that is like shooting an undeveloped negative... Once you get it into Lightroom or whatever RAW processor you use then you actually "soup" the file.... Straight out of the camera yeah you are going to be disappointed because its just a flat file that needs to be processed...Especially with the Mono files they really need work, good news is once you work on one and get it to a point you can save that preset as your starting point and then apply that preset to the rest of the files... then you can tweak them easier once you have a good starting point...

Old 01-19-2020   #157
Larry Cloetta

Quote:

From all the photos I have seen so far, especially the best ones, the M10 seems like a notable uptick in the specific qualities that prior versions had, so it delivers a specific style of result, and then some, in *****s.

But, Helen, I know what you are seeing, as it strikes me the same way. So far. One cannot fail to be impressed, but.....l.
Even were it $1,200 I am not sure it fits every photographer’s vision. But, I’m glad it exists.

Edit: just saw that a phrase I included which means “to the greatest possible extent”, a phrase which originated with playing cards has been asterisked out of existence by some special needs algorithm that didn’t graduate kindergarten. Bowdlerizing rears its ugly head, in this case, inexplicably. Well, there’s an explanation, but it’s incorrect.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Last edited by Larry Cloetta : 01-19-2020 at 07:57. Reason: Bizarre lack of understanding of the meaning of English phrases displayed by a heavy handed, poorly educated algorithm.

Old 01-19-2020   #158
seagrove
Rich

Quote:
But might we still need a dedicated black and white printer?
Years ago I converted my Epson R2400 using Jon Cone's Piezography system. Just replaced the failing printhead on it and am back to printing.

Old 01-19-2020   #159
raid
Dad Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out to Lunch View Post
It takes some courage to look away and explore other venues...
Not really. The cost makes it easy for me to look to alternatives. If I do not make prints, practically any camera is OK.

Old 01-19-2020   #160
icebear

Quote:

I fell disappointed. I thought that a majority seemed rather flat as if the light was just on the surface

Hi Helen,

for sure you remember the prints that Cal showed at the ICP some years back? Those were gorgeous and that is close but not all the way to the top in regards to prints. To get the most of the MM(orig.) and most likely also the new MM10, you have to learn to milk the exposure. Even then you only optimize what the raw image captures but you must get the most of it at time of exposure. You have to use the histogram to learn not to blow the highlights. Optimum exposure is a bit more finicky than on film. You screw it (no matter the position of the screw) and you wasted an otherwise perfectly good image, nothing to save afterwards. What you capture is only the starting point for post processing the image. There is a learning curve and it sounds more complicated than it is but with a digital sensor capturing those highlights is driving to the very edge of the cliff. Stopping way too early because for safety you dialed in a -2 stops compensation is giving you souped grey. Stopping too late, you fall off the cliff and you have blown those highlights. I take it that no one having the MM10 in his hands for early reviews is able to milk the exposure yet. I haven't seen any histograms of MM10 images.

To get the "glow" out of raw image files, you have to work in post e.g. Lightroom to push the whites and highlights to the very edge and beef up contrast to your liking. The camera just delivers your starting point not the final image be it for online view or for actual large format printing.

my gallery:http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...d=6650&showall