Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Old 03-10-2018   #201
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
This thread is dangerous, they are multiplying! Not Rollei's but related.

It is surprising how much smaller the Primo feels compared to the Yashica. Love that they both have aperture and shutter speed viewable from up top. The Primo is the later version and has a few subtle differences including the self timer and the DOF scale is different.

V is the self timer setting.

Primo Jr's finder is brighter and with better contrast. It has a faster viewing lens and the finder itself is a little smaller.

Film is arriving Monday to give the Primo Jr a try. I wrapped masking tape around an empty reel to get the frame counter and shutter working on the Primo Jr. The manual doesn't really explain how to load the camera well and I found this helpful to avoid wasting film.

Shawn
Wow! Those are awesome, Shawn!!!

Dave

Old 03-10-2018   #202
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lackey View Post
Hmmm... I would like to find a nice cable release for the BR. Can anyone recommend a good one?
They use the old standard cable releases Dave. I've got a Leica one from like 1960, but any of the ones from the 35mm film camera days should work. They probably still sell them at B&H new.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 03-10-2018   #203
shawn

Quote:
Wow! Those are awesome, Shawn!!!
Thanks! My Rera-Pan 100 just arrived so I will be giving the Primo Jr a try this weekend.

I have a little rectangular bag (Case Logic TBC-404) that is about perfect for either TLR with a few rolls of film in the front pouch.

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6277.jpg (58.0 KB, 3 views)

Old 03-10-2018   #204
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
They use the old standard cable releases Dave. I've got a Leica one from like 1960, but any of the ones from the 35mm film camera days should work. They probably still sell them at B&H new.

Best,
-Tim
Thanks, Tim!

I checked B&H and then KEH ...

Do you think this Nikon cable release will work on the BR?

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-manua...-s-666623.html

Dave

Old 03-10-2018   #205
dave lackey

Quote:
Thanks! My Rera-Pan 100 just arrived so I will be giving the Primo Jr a try this weekend.

I have a little rectangular bag (Case Logic TBC-404) that is about perfect for either TLR with a few rolls of film in the front pouch.

Shawn
Cool, Shawn, I like the Case Logic bag... must seriously consider that!

Dave

Old 03-10-2018   #206
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

That's a good idea on left hand index finger. Will try that when I take it out to finish off the test roll.

I've gotten a few old cloth wrapped shutter releases by various manufacturers (think AGC : Prontor shutter maker, Asahi for the Pentax Spotmatic, some un-branded Japanese but obviously vintage production cable releases and they seem to work the best. The later plastic sheathed or braided steel ones haven't worked as well for me. Maybe I'm weird.

Old 03-10-2018   #207
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Thanks, Tim!

I checked B&H and then KEH ...

Do you think this Nikon cable release will work on the BR?

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-manua...-s-666623.html
No, the Nikon release you linked to is for the Nikon F, F2 and S cameras. That's not what I was referring to. Check this one out at B&H, this will work with the Baby Grey.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_Release.html

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 03-10-2018   #208
css9450

Quote:
This thread is dangerous, they are multiplying! Not Rollei's but related.
I passed on a Primo Jr. on Ebay because I wasn't sure if it worked (the seller didn't say). A pretty camera though.

I recently bought a Ricoh Ricohflex 44. This is the model with built-in lightmeter and a simplified method of determining exposure. As one online reviewer described it: "this camera is hilariously un-intuitive and secretive". Example: the shutter speed dial is helpfully labelled "ASA". Think of Sunny 16, with each common film type having its own shutter speed (IE, "ASA"). Crazy weird stuff. Not as nice of a build as the Rollie or other "normal" 127 TLRs.

Old 03-11-2018   #209
dave lackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
No, the Nikon release you linked to is for the Nikon F, F2 and S cameras. That's not what I was referring to. Check this one out at B&H, this will work with the Baby Grey.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_Release.html

Best,
-Tim
Thanks, Tim!!! That is perfect. Will order that one...

Dave

Old 03-11-2018   #210
dave lackey

Shooting the Baby Rolleiflex

As it is raining, I find myself reflecting on many things and of course, wishing I was out and about actively participating in camera therapy. My BR is loaded and several other rolls of film are ready to go. My Hewes 127 spiral(s) is awaiting to be fed.

My thoughts about shooting the BR are brief (because it was only one roll):

1. The small size, heft and feel of the little camera reminded me of my Leica M3 and its simplicity.
2. The viewfinder, even in daylight is so easy to use for composition. The grid screen is most helpful.
3. Shooting is almost a non-event as when I press the shutter release, I can barely detect that anything has happened at all. It is so silent, especially outdoors! Indoors, like my M3, it simply makes a polite "kiss" instead of a loud "smack"!
4. In contrast, as mentioned here on RFF, my Hassy breathes when it shoots! It is like a well-trained athlete with its visceral response.
5. With the old Art and Artisans black silk strap, the BR is most elegant.
6. The BR resides in my Billingham Leica bag with the X1 that I use for a light meter. Both are so light, I forget I have them and the small bag still has a lot of room for other things.
7. Film is not as big a hassle as I thought it would be... I roll my own from a 50' roll of Ilford HP5+ and it is not difficult if I am relaxed. It is predictably a challenge for me as most anything is anymore, but I find it similar to the anticipation of going on an adventure, packing gear for a ski trip, hunting trip, or going fly-fishing. Mindfully preparing for an event!
8. I am delighted to have the opportunity to experience the joys of a BR... what a beauty. What a little jewel of a camera that makes one simply enjoy it for its quality. I only wish I had a Swiss watch to complement it!
9. Now I want a Rolex...

Dave

Old 03-11-2018   #211
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
I passed on a Primo Jr. on Ebay because I wasn't sure if it worked (the seller didn't say). A pretty camera though.

I recently bought a Ricoh Ricohflex 44. This is the model with built-in lightmeter and a simplified method of determining exposure. As one online reviewer described it: "this camera is hilariously un-intuitive and secretive". Example: the shutter speed dial is helpfully labelled "ASA". Think of Sunny 16, with each common film type having its own shutter speed (IE, "ASA"). Crazy weird stuff. Not as nice of a build as the Rollie or other "normal" 127 TLRs.
That Ricoh sounds like an interesting setup with a learning curve to it.

For the Primo Jr. it would be pretty easy for a seller to think the camera was broken but it actually be fine. If you reset the film counter, with no film in the camera, the winder will seem to jam up and can't be turned. Per the instruction manual you have to open the back and manually turn the film counter gear till the counter goes back to the film loading setting.

The counter has a film loading setting where the camera can be cranked continuously. After a few cranks it stops trying to cock the shutter. So it will appear like the shutter isn't working. At first I thought my Primo Jr. was broken due to this.

To test the camera wrap masking tape around one half of a 127 spool to make it about twice as thick. Put the spool in the take up side and it will now engage the film counter. To load the camera you crank clockwise until you see '1' in the red window. Leave the crank where ever it happens to be. Reset the film counter and the counter will set to 1. Now crank counter-clockwise until the crank stops and you are ready to shoot the first exposure. (The manual misses this step and not doing this looks like you will skip some frames)

After each shot you just crank it clockwise about a full rotation till it stops and then go counter clockwise back to the initial position.

The Primo Jr. has the LV system on it but it seems like it won't be quite as annoying as it is on other cameras I have had with it. Aperture and shutter are visible from above. The aperture lever only adjusts the F stop (and the LV number) it isn't locked to shutter speed. When you adjust the shutter speed the aperture is interlocked to the same LV. But if you hold the aperture lever you can change shutter speed without the LV interlock.

With ISO 100 film I think the LV = EV so it is another way of setting the camera to Sunny 16 by just setting LV to 15 and the nmoving the shutter dial till the combination of shutter/aperture I want pops up. Likewise if I set the shutter speed I want and then adjust for changing light with aperture the LV system doesn't kick in so it won't bother me.

Shawn

Old 03-11-2018   #212
shawn

Quote:
Thanks, Tim!!! That is perfect. Will order that one...
Probably a little late now but if you haven't ordered one consider the Minox cable release with its very own custom carrying case that doubles as a handy little table top tripod. Keeps the baby theme going....

Shawn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04727.jpg (80.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04726.jpg (76.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04728.jpg (68.9 KB, 5 views)

Old 03-11-2018   #213
dave lackey

Quote:
Probably a little late now but if you haven't ordered one consider the Minox cable release with its very own custom carrying case that doubles as a handy little table top tripod. Keeps the baby theme going....

Shawn
Wow! How does that work? Does all that fit into one tube/leg?

It is really cool!

Dave

Old 03-12-2018   #214
shawn

Yes, the shutter release cable screws into the smallest leg, that screws into the medium leg and then that screws into the largest leg. When you assemble it the largest leg is used to tighten/loosen the ball head. Even has a slot in the widest leg to put a coin to help you adjust the ballhead.

It is a fantastic design.

http://macfilos.com/photo/2016/8/22/...icious-veteran

Shawn

Old 03-12-2018   #215
Emile de Leon

I have the Minox tripod..someone gave it to me..and it comes in handy if you want to get real low..but don't put too much weight on it..and no..it aint no geared head..lol..

Old 03-12-2018   #216
css9450

Quote:
That Ricoh sounds like an interesting setup with a learning curve to it.
If I understand correctly, one of the Ricoh shutter speeds is 1/50th, so for ASA 100 film, Sunny 16 works out to be f22 at 1/50th... Just stop the lens down as far as it goes (to f22), and use the 1/50th setting and I'm good to go! Unfortunately the f-stops are clickless and unmarked! So a stop open or a couple stops open from full sun require some guesswork on my part LOL. I should give it some good serious testing to see if I can trust the meter.

Old 03-17-2018   #217
shawn

Got to try out my brand new Hewes 127 reel today. Thanks Dave!

Rerapan 100 in HC110 Dil B. These are from the Primo Jr.

Very fun camera to shoot and the LV system on the camera wasn't obnoxious.

Turns out I had another join the stable.... KEH listed an original Yashica 44 for $10. It was said to be inoperable but it is in fantastic condition, lenses are great. Shutter is fine from 1/15 and up but 1/8 to 1 second it shoots much faster and every once in awhile is fine. From what I read it is likely just gummed up. Thinking I might convert this one to 35mm as I think I can set it up to be able to rewind in camera.

Shawn

Old 03-17-2018   #218
dave lackey

Shawn,

Two cool things from your post:
1. Your images... I have a couple of rolls ready to shoot when I can find time away from the house! I was wondering how the film would render outdoor images. Thank you for posting them, they look pretty good! And,
2. That Yashica was a great find! I am jealous!

Post some photos when you get time, now I must search for a good deal like that!

Dave

Old 03-18-2018   #219
shawn

The film does look like it will do well outside. Those were both shot meterless so it has some latitude too.

Yashica 44

I like how the shutter speed and aperture can be read together...

With an adapter the top little dial should be useable as a rewind for 35mm film. I think it will line up correctly. Pull and lock out the bottom little dial to uncouple the 127 take up spool to allow rewinding.

Not bad for $10, and it even came with a metal 127 spool.

Shawn

Old 03-18-2018   #220
css9450

I sliced a roll of film using the new Holgamods cutter... Fingers are crossed! I think it can do the job without the wavy edge my homemade cutter was giving me, as long as it can do the job without scratching the film! That is my one concern currently and I won't know for sure until I process this roll. I did manage to shoot seven frames on it.

Beautiful weather today so I went out with the Baby Rolleiflex, my "full size" Rolleiflex, my Voigtlander Perkeo folder, my N90S, and one DSLR... And of course my Nikon S2 since March is officially Nikon Rangefinder month here on the forum! So it got more use today than the others, but I hope to have something to process next weekend.

Old 03-25-2018   #221
css9450

Quote:
I sliced a roll of film using the new Holgamods cutter... Fingers are crossed! I think it can do the job without the wavy edge my homemade cutter was giving me, as long as it can do the job without scratching the film! That is my one concern currently and I won't know for sure until I process this roll.
Film is processed and hanging up to dry. Negatives look awesome, like I've come to expect with this film (Delta 100) in the Baby Rollieflex. However... I do see longitudinal scratches (or marks) running the length of the film, which of course are vertical on the Rolleiflex pictures since the film goes through the camera vertically. These could only have come from the film cutter. Hopefully they don't show on my scans!

I sliced another roll today, but did one thing differently, as recommended by Randy at Holgamods. I placed a layer of shiny tape (I used clear packing tape) on the acrylic block that forms the base of the cutter, to hopefully cut down on scratches. I also tried holding it a little less tightly! I am worried that a loose grip on the top plate could cause the film to ride up and over the blade without cutting, but evidently squeezing the top plate too tightly can cause scratches. Stay tuned for developments!

Old 03-25-2018   #222
dave lackey

Quote:
Film is processed and hanging up to dry. Negatives look awesome, like I've come to expect with this film (Delta 100) in the Baby Rollieflex. However... I do see longitudinal scratches (or marks) running the length of the film, which of course are vertical on the Rolleiflex pictures since the film goes through the camera vertically. These could only have come from the film cutter. Hopefully they don't show on my scans!

I sliced another roll today, but did one thing differently, as recommended by Randy at Holgamods. I placed a layer of shiny tape (I used clear packing tape) on the acrylic block that forms the base of the cutter, to hopefully cut down on scratches. I also tried holding it a little less tightly! I am worried that a loose grip on the top plate could cause the film to ride up and over the blade without cutting, but evidently squeezing the top plate too tightly can cause scratches. Stay tuned for developments!
Cool! Can't wait to see the scans! I will shoot a roll of Rera Pan tomorrow now that our schedule has settled down a little. Cloudy weather, though.

Dave

Old 03-26-2018   #223
css9450

Lines (or scratches) are visible in the sky. Not really scratches, maybe more like rub marks. But they bother me. Hopefully this doesn't happen on the next roll (it shouldn't; I used the recommended clear shiny tape on the acrylic block to make it slick).

Old 03-26-2018   #224
dave lackey

Quote:
Lines (or scratches) are visible in the sky. Not really scratches, maybe more like rub marks. But they bother me. Hopefully this doesn't happen on the next roll (it shouldn't; I used the recommended clear shiny tape on the acrylic block to make it slick).

Cool! How difficult is the film slitter to use? A photo of the setup would be nice...

Dave

Old 03-27-2018   #225
css9450

I'll post some pics soon. Its not too hard, it just takes practice since its all done in the dark.

Its really two operations. First, you unroll the 120 film and then place the film into the cutter and pull it all the way through, and cut off and discard a little at the end where you got fingerprints all over it. Secondly, you have to lay out some 127 backing paper and fasten it down so it won't roll back up, and place the trimmed film down onto it in the right position. Double and triple-check that its centered, and trim the long end some more if it still needs it. Put the 127 spool onto the tail end of the paper, and roll it forward, remembering to catch the end of the film when you come to it. Keep rolling, and soon you'll come to the beginning of the film. Put a little square of tape there to secure the film. Finish rolling the paper the rest of the way and secure the end with another little square of tape. That's it in a nutshell.

Old 03-27-2018   #226
css9450

I spent some time at lunch just now slicing a roll of 120 backing paper to the correct width and length for 127. I'll load some color film into it. If I'm sending out my color for processing, I don't want to risk losing my Rera Pan or vintage Kodak backing paper!

I also noticed the Rera Pan is no longer listed at the Freestyle site...

Old 03-28-2018   #227
dave lackey

Quote:
I spent some time at lunch just now slicing a roll of 120 backing paper to the correct width and length for 127. I'll load some color film into it. If I'm sending out my color for processing, I don't want to risk losing my Rera Pan or vintage Kodak backing paper!

I also noticed the Rera Pan is no longer listed at the Freestyle site...
Hey, looking forward to duplicating your setup!
No idea what is going on with Rera Pan, but I am keeping up with David Foy, Tge Frugal Photographer as he automates his film project. I hope one day to use a cut-down 120 film like Delta 100 or other slower film.

Yesterday, I was shooting with the 503 and grabbed the Baby Rolleiflex afterward... shooting it is such a joy and I don't know exactly how to describe it. It is just plain fun!!!

What is it about shooting that tiny jewel of a camera?

Dave

Old 04-01-2018   #228
css9450

I'm cheating here.... This one is from the Ricohmatic 44. Its not as pleasant to use as the Rolleiflex!

Old 04-02-2018   #229
dave lackey

Not a BR, but a fine machine too.

Just a heads up for those looking for straps for the little cameras:
The A&A silk strap (short length), is perfect for using with such a small camera! Very comfortable and not ever in the way, I have found it to be both beautiful and functional as it allows one to stretch it just enough to tighten the strap and give that extra little bit of stability needed for sharp images.

My Billingham Leica bag is made for these little cameras and the BR only takes up half the space.

Now to solve the pesky film availability problem... I have all the spools, etc. I need to make a dozen rolls available, so I am anxiously awaiting the annual Ilford ULF program in the next week or two.

Stay tuned!

Dave

Old 04-02-2018   #230
Timmyjoe

Quote:

Hey Charles, are you using a Coolscan 8000 or 9000 for your scans? If so, I get those same marks from scans from my Coolscan 9000, mostly they only show up in the smooth tones of the sky in images. It's from the scanner and not the camera or negative. Only way to get rid of them is to do an ultra fine scan where the scanner uses only one scan ray, instead of the usual three. It's a pain in the backside, and increases the scan time threefold, but the Coolscan 9000 does such nice film scans that it's worth the extra time and effort.

If you're not using one of those Coolscans, then I'm not sure where the rub marks are coming from.

Love the BF Goodrich picture by the way. What film are you using with these three images?

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 04-03-2018   #231
css9450

No scanner here.... I use the macro lens on the DSLR with the negative held securely in a 127 negative holder on an LED lightbox. So, no scanning artifacts, unless its dust on the negative or on the lightbox - the latter of which are easy to eliminate by placing the negative holder on some poker chips or something to raise it up off the surface of the glass. Unfortunately, there are rub marks visible on the negative, which I am sure came from the film slicer. However, I have tried the recommended shiny tape layer to make the surface slick so hopefully the next roll is better! Still some issues to work around obviously.

All the black & white is Delta 100, at least until the Fuji Acros 100 I ordered comes in. Figured I should try some before its gone (I like it in 35mm).

Dave reminded me of the Ilford 127 film buy again. Do we know for sure what film it will be? I may be wrong but I would think most 127 shooters would prefer something on the slower side, not HP5 again. The long-standing B&W 127 film for many, many decades was Verichrome Pan, so I would think something close to that would be best. That's ASA 125 I think? How about some FP4? Most (the vast majority) of 127 cameras were simple cameras with one shutter speed and one or just a few apertures, and they were designed for the slow films of the era. The Rolleiflex is an exception since it can do ASA 400 but all those Kodak folders and bakelite plastic Baby Brownies and similar cameras cannot unless use a ND filter as a workaround.

Old 04-03-2018   #232
Timmyjoe

Agree on the slower speed 127 films. If higher speed is needed, just slit some Tri-X.

I wouldn't be shocked if Ilford offered a 127 film size roll in FP4+, as they offer that film in other rare sizes. Have been shooting a lot of sheet film in my Medalist II of late, and the only sheet film you can still buy in 2.25x3.25 and 6.5x9cm is Ilford FP4+.

Have not had a problem with scratching the negs in my home made slitter, but I've not done many rolls yet (and I've only done Kodak, maybe the Ilford is softer). Hope you get that issue straightened out.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 04-09-2018   #233
css9450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixcinater View Post
I've heard the Rera is Acros. Would you agree with that?
Be aware also that with the coming discontinuance of Acros, we can expect Rera Pan to disappear too. Probably should stock up since its still in stock at B&H.

Old 04-11-2018   #234
Fixcinater
Never enough smoky peat

Just finished the roll of VP127 I put into the Gray Baby. Took that and a few other cameras for a drive out of town onto the plains and up onto the edge of the wide, low valley I live in. Even with the almost oppressive quiet that was out there (bit of wind was all I could hear), the shutter on the Gray Baby was hardly audible.

Great little camera, and the rounded corners in the VF make me think of what a slide would look like as I go to frame the image.

Old 04-13-2018   #235
css9450

The beginnings of a 127 film cutting "How-To" are posted in the "DIYS" forum section! Comments welcome!

Old 04-13-2018   #236
dave lackey

Thank you. Charles!!

Part 1 is wonderfully written with excellent instructions and photos!

Dave

Old 04-16-2018   #237
css9450

Hmmmm, it works on Ektar 100 too... Processing by The Darkroom in California.

This is a Chicago Rt. 66 landmark... The (former) Castle Car Wash.

Old 04-16-2018   #238
dave lackey

Nice!!!

Thanks for posting... can't wait to see more!

Btw, I will be thinking this week about how to set up a 120 to 127 film workstation. The "dark" room is my biggest problem... hmmm.

Dave

Old 04-17-2018   #239
css9450

Old 04-17-2018   #240
Timmyjoe

Quote:
Hmmmm, it works on Ektar 100 too... Processing by The Darkroom in California.

This is a Chicago Rt. 66 landmark... The (former) Castle Car Wash.

Where exactly is that Charles? I've done the Rt 66 thing from Lake Michigan to Santa Monica and back, but don't remember that Castle Car Wash.

Best,
-Tim

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available