Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex

TLR Forum - Twin Lens Reflex another alternative to the dreaded SLR way of seeing, this forum for all format TLR cameras

Love my Baby - Rolleiflex 4x4
Old 08-05-2017   #1
cassel

Love my Baby - Rolleiflex 4x4

Recently, in my Yashica D thread, I shared the news of a recent acquisition of two more TLRs - a Rolleicord V and a Grey Rolleiflex 4x4 "Baby"

The Rolleicord is on the shelf for now - not working

BUT the Rolleicord was just a bonus in the deal - what I really wanted was the Baby After hauling around the Yashica D this year- I was sure I "needed" something a little smaller

The first roll - ReraPan 127 - 100 B&W - is in! It looks decent. Shot around Seattle on a bright summer day in July with no hood or filter. The resolution is good - contrast was a bit flat so I bumped it a bit in Photoshop. That's it!

The Xenar is a good performer. I could see in a couple of frames (you get 12 on a roll - like the big brother Rolleiflex) the dreaded film flatness scanning issues but not a huge issue. Check out some samples:

Next up - ReraChrome 100 speed slide film! Got a hood on the way and some "SuperSlide" mounts. FUN FUN FUN

Old 08-07-2017   #2
cassel

Now that I've had luck with the camera working as designed, I'm ready to try some color!
Next up is ReraChrome 100 E-6 film.
Also picked up some SuperSlide glass mounts and a Series V hood

Old 08-07-2017   #3
Larry Cloetta

Film Ferrania has the equipment necessary to produce 127 film, and have indicated that might be a real possibility in the future (though, admittedly, it's still early and they have to get to the future first.) That would be nice, and put a lot more cameras like this one back to work.

Old 09-07-2017   #4
css9450

I'm a new Baby owner myself... I have to tweak my scanning technique a little. I overexposed several shots but this one is probably the best. But its a nice little jewel of a camera!

Old 09-07-2017   #5
cassel

Hey Cool!
It is quite the camera --- feels very high quality in your hand. What film did you shoot (do you shoot) ? I'm about to send in 3-4 more rolls soon. Got some chrome film in the mix this time!

Old 09-07-2017   #6
css9450

Thanks! This is also Rera Pan 100. I probably won't try the slides... Might not have many processing options for them. But the Rera Pan B&W is easy to develop at home, even if its a little soft. I've done three rolls (just one with the Rollei) and I find it scratches easy or gets specs missing in the emulsion, a problem I don't have with 35mm.

Old 09-08-2017   #7
cassel

I'm using TheDarkroom.com for processing. Just sent in two rolls of 127 Slide film - ReraChrome 100.

Stock of ReraChrome is low at FreeStyle photo - next week, If I like what I see when the film is processed/scanned - I am going to stock up. I just love this camera too much not to shoot it and any color options are limited. Slide film generally scans well, but I probably shouldn't expect Fuji-like results!

It is an expensive habit when you add it all up - but I justify shooting my Rollei Baby and my Yashica-D because I'm NOT currently shooting any 35mm gear (expect the O-Product and bunch of old expired film that I got very cheap).

I am gathering LOTS of darkroom supplies - enlargers, trays, timers, etc. - eventually I will process at home again...

Old 09-08-2017   #8
CMur12

If the slide film is good and you can get it mounted as super slides (probably not), I would start looking for a baby Rollei.

Neat camera.

- Murray

Old 09-08-2017   #9
cassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
If the slide film is good and you can get it mounted as super slides (probably not), I would start looking for a baby Rollei.

Neat camera.

- Murray

Check my earlier posts - this is exactly what I'm planning! Got 40 NOS Titania Super Slides - glass holders. Fingers crossed...

Old 09-08-2017   #10
CMur12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassel View Post
Check my earlier posts - this is exactly what I'm planning! Got 40 NOS Titania Super Slides - glass holders. Fingers crossed...
Fingers crossed!

Super slide mounts aren't readily available, are they? Actually, for super slides, paper or plastic mounts without the glass would be just fine.

- Murray

Old 09-09-2017   #11
cassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
Fingers crossed!

Super slide mounts aren't readily available, are they? Actually, for super slides, paper or plastic mounts without the glass would be just fine.

- Murray
Super Slide Mounts seem to pop up on the internet occasionally... I figure 40 is a good start! Just hunt for words/terms like "4x4 slide mounts, 1 5/8" x 1 5/8", Super Slides, Titania, Burleigh, Perro, Rollei Slides, etc."

Like you said - some seem to be Paper/Cardboard, some are plastic.
Even metal! Some clip together, some are heat sealed, some require tape.

Old 09-11-2017   #12
ozmoose

You must have deep pockets - the cost of film for your 'baby' at least here in Australia, will soon add up to much more than what you paid for the camera.

My late aunt in eastern Canada had one in the early 1960s when I first got interested in serious photography. I often borrowed it for 'country weekend' shooting around my grandparents' farm. I loved using it and of course 127 film cost 50 cents a roll in those halcyon days. I still have the few hundred 127 negatives I shot over two years and am planning a printing blitz in the near future to do an album for scanning and gifting to other family in Canada.

The 'baby' Xenar was a stellar performer and every bit as good as that in the other 1950s Rolles Tessars. I don't recall enlarging anything to 8x10 but I made many 5x7s which were as sharp as those produced on my other camera, a - are you ready for it? - Yashica D which I got in 1962 and kept going til 1985 when I gave it away to someone who used it for a few more years and for all I know, may still have it.

When my aunt passed away in 2003 I asked about the 'baby' as I wanted to buy it, but her son told the camera had long since vanished from her home - For all I know she may have given it away (he thinks not) or sold it as in her 70s she often disposed of small items which we considered to be family heirlooms and greatly miss. Fortunately, she kept her negatives and her original drug store prints. Next year when I'm in Canada, I will borrow the lot for a gala printing and scanning session to ensure the images are made available to the rest of the family.

Small Rolleis were popular in the Antipodes and occasionally turn up on Ebay here (Australia), for a long time they were much cheaper than the 6x6s but of late prices have skyrocketed.

It's a shame 127 film is now difficult to find and also expensive. Legend has it the baby Rollei was designed to fit into a lady's purse and F&H wisely designed it to take series 1 accessories, which meant one could use filters, close up lenses and lens hoods from the regular Tessar range. I had a collection of Rollei 'bits' for my Yashica and still have some items left that I acquired back then. Series 1 filters cost C$9 each in the early '60s, a steal - 'tho nine bucks was a lot then to a teenager in high school and with a part time job. The fifty cent 120 and 127 Verichrome Pan films went a long way and I would save up to buy a 'brick' for ten dollars. To do this now with Ilford FP4 or HP4 pretty well breaks the bank.

The Yashica D was my first very own 'serious' camera and produced fine work in everything from newspaper images to weddings to family snaps. I souped all my films in Kodak DK60a and when I print an old negative I am pleasantly surprised at the good sharpness and mid tones.

Yashicas and especially the models from D and above were a bit tinny in build but almost as good as the hugely more expensive Rollei TLRs. They were very cheap until a few years ago when photographers seemed to suddenly realise their worth and prices then went up.

Just my reminiscences. Your images from the 'baby' look good and I am sure you are enjoying the camera, which is as it should be. Shoot on...

Old 09-14-2017   #13
cassel

I have three more processed rolls from the "baby" to report. The ReraChrome color slides turned out OK- I wasn't surprised to see a yellow, vintage-looking color shift after development. I'll show you some comparisons here - straight up and color corrected in Photoshop.

Original color:

notice the reticulation of the grain in the preceeding image

Original color/scan

You get the idea! Here's some more CORRECTED images:

Overall, I'm still a fan of the camera. These images have a unique signature that's likely a result of the film and the lens (like it often/always is). I am on the fence about how much color I will shoot with the Rolleiflex Baby and I "get" why shooters of 127 film wish for more film options!

I'll post the next B&W results tonight or tomorrow!

Old 09-14-2017   #14
farlymac
PF McFarland

The main reasons I don't have a baby Rollei is the paucity of available film, and the prices of what you can get. I've got two of its big brothers that need feeding also!

Nice to see that you continue to frame good subjects.

PF

Old 09-14-2017   #15
cassel

It sort of sad, but film is so limited and expensive for the 127... I did some number crunching. No, I don't have "deep pockets" just a hobbyist at this point in my life.

Using my current preferred work-flow (no home processing or scanning) here's my cost analysis:

127 Color Slide film - $2.42 per shot
127 B&W film - $2.17 per shot

120 Color Slide Film - $1.80 per shot
120 Tri-X - $1.38 per shot

For my rangefinders and Point & Shoot cameras, I like Agfa 200 color and Tri-X for B&W:

35mm Color Negative film - .42 per shot
35mm Tri-X - .44 per shot

Of course, part of the issue is 12 frames per roll versus 36 !

This means 127 color shots are costing me 6 times more than a color 35mm shot

Cheapest medium format option with this work-flow is 3 times more expensive.

AND I'm not factoring in shipping when I buy the film and when it is sent back from processing....although that can be minimized with bulk orders.

Old 09-15-2017   #16
cassel

Here's some promised black & white:

Old 09-15-2017   #17
SkyOrbita

Some of my examples, Rolleiflex baby and expired Agfa XPS Professional [email protected]

Old 09-15-2017   #18
css9450

Quote:
AND I'm not factoring in shipping when I buy the film and when it is sent back from processing....
Where are you sending it, if I may ask? I am not sure I could get it processed locally, but I know places such as Dwayne's will do it. My local shop does "traditional" B&W but it isn't particularly fast - I think if its just a single roll they make you wait until they have more so they can do them at the same time. And I don't think they do 127.

That was what led me to re-start doing my own processing after not touching it in 30+ years. Took a while to find a 127 stainless-steel reel though.... Well, one of the reasons. I wanted to shoot something other than XP2 in B&W!

Old 09-16-2017   #19
kevinthephotographer

I have a Baby Rollei but it's not in "active service" as the shutter isn't totally reliable and the focus can be out. Here's a couple of shots from it's pre-retirement stage. The colour images was on Bluefire Murano 160 (aka Kodak Portra 160NC) and the mono one on Efke R100

Stained
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Window light
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Old 09-16-2017   #20
css9450

Rera Pan 100:

Old 09-16-2017   #21
css9450

Here's another. I find there is a learning curve to scanning and its possible these could be better as I practice more.

The black spot in the sky is a scratch on the negative. I think the Rera Pan is a very delicate emulsion; much softer than the Ilford I am used to.

Old 09-16-2017   #22
cassel

Thanks for sharing! It was cool to wake up this morning and see some discussion about the Rollei Baby...

css9450 : I am using TheDarkroom.com and they are just great. If you can't or don't want to process yourself, I think they are a wonderful option. They process just about any film you can think of...

While I'm not scanning my own 127 film , I understand that it is tightly curled and tricky to scan! I think your ReraPan examples look GOOD! your tonal range and overall technical skill is apparent. Plus your images are fun to study.

SkyOrbita : Funny that car shows seem to be a good match for the Rollei That Agfa XPS 160 is nice. Wish we could buy that still in 127!

Kevin: I get that focus can be weird with these cameras. The color of your Murano shot is weird but cool...

Anyone experimented with "rolling your own" 127 film from 46mm or 120 film?

Old 09-20-2017   #23
css9450

Thanks, glad you liked 'em! I bought some more film, so hopefully I will have some new ones once I find some free time. I am delighted to find the camera works as well as I think it does (I got it from Ebay).

Here's another from the first roll:

Old 10-02-2017   #24
cassel

I bought more film too
  • 2 rolls of ReraPan B&W 100
  • 3 rolls of HP5 B&W 400
  • 4 rolls of Kodak Gold 200 expired

I think I'm all in now ! One thing I realize is that the benefit of the 127 film size is I'm getting 120 quality scans at the 35mm price. That's the modern version of the Super Slide craze. Makes the price per shot for B&W more comparable with 120 (at least color 120).

The truth is, I just really like the camera

And nope - I ain't got "deep pockets" - gotta sacrifice the 35mm new film stock budget...

Old 10-03-2017   #25
Chromacomaphoto

Just wanna say thanks to all on this thread so far, I am really loving it.

Old 10-03-2017   #26
zuiko85

If you like 4X4 and want a light weight and compact camera to shoot in that format look for an Agfa Isoly! I have the top model with a 60mm f3.9 Apotar in a Prontor shutter with front element focusing by scale to 1 meter.

Of course the camera is fairly limited compared to the Baby.

Cons;
Scale focus, shutter speed range limited to 1/30 to 1/250 plus 'B', Shutter will X-sync but only has a hot shoe connection on top of camera, no PC terminal.
Film advance positioned via 'red window, so chance of fogging modern film. (use a piece of black tape over the window and shadow the window when advancing the film)
No strap lugs. (The 'never-ready' case had attached strap. Mine was broken.) No provision for any filters or lens hoods or any lens attachments at all.
(Note: you might find a 'press on' adapter in series 5, but that is very iffy)

Pros;
Uses very available 120 film for 16 exposures per roll. Large selection of film available with cost at 1/2 or less per exposure compared to 127 film.
My camera is very light at about 14 oz. loaded with a roll of film. Finally, found mine for $12 at a local flea market in my town, (Olympia, Wa.)

Even up;
Different shape than the Baby, but still compact.

PS. Don't let the lens name fool you, it is most likely a triplet.

PPS. Holy cats! Just checked e-bug, not much available in Isoly's , mostly the cheaper less well specified models and those from Europe! Didn't know my model was that uncommon, especially in the US.

Old 10-03-2017   #27
Arved

I have the Yashicamat 44LM. I loved throwing in super slides in my slideshows for some extra punch. Alas, I got in on the end of Ektachrome 127 availability, and didn't shoot nearly as much as I wanted.

There were 127 backs for several medium format cameras. Mamiya had a punch so you could cut out a super slide from a 120 (or 220) frame. When Ektachrome (64) became too hard to find in 127, I bought a Kiev 60, and made frame lines on overhead projection stock to put over the focusing screen. I shot a couple rolls of Fuji Provia in the Kiev 60, but the whole thing was too big and heavy for the kind of photography I was doing (railroad).

The 44LM was a much more elegant solution to making superslides.

I don't project slideshows anymore, so I've lost interest in superslides, but I'm glad y'all are finding them fun to use again.

Olympus XA loaded with Kodak Portra 160

Old 10-03-2017   #28
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Anyone experimented with "rolling your own" 127 film from 46mm or 120 film?
I have been cutting down 120 film to use in mine, mostly just whatever 120 film I would normally use. That was just more appealing to me than trying the Rerapan. It's not that difficult once you get in the habit, and there are various procedural guides available on the web, though they differ a bit. That's all Rerapan is doing, re-spooling Lord knows what and overcharging for the labor involved. If you are only going to shoot a roll or two a year and like their emulsion that probably makes sense. If you want to shoot the camera frequently, and prefer a possibly nicer emulsion, it makes more sense to spool your own. At least it did to me.
That does make using this camera quite a bit cheaper in terms of actual cash outlay, though there is the cost in time to spool up a few rolls. I am recently retired, so, though my time used to command a very high price, now it is apparently worth nothing, so there's that.
On a yearly basis, Ilford makes 50 foot rolls of various emulsions available in their ULF program in 127. This year it was HP5+ so I bought 100 feet. I haven't spooled that up yet, because I need to accumulate a few more empty spools, so I can roll it all in one sitting. (BTW, the Baby Rollei seems to get along better with metal spools than plastic ones, so I have gradually been shooting up old Verichrome Pan just to get the nicer spools.)
These are lovely little cameras, but as bought on ebay out of someone's garage, they are unlikely to be operating correctly in terms of shutter speed and reliable film advance. I had Mark Hansen refurb mine, but I think Koh's might do them also.
Still hoping for new film in 127 to be available from Film Ferrania that they have teased, though.

Old 10-03-2017   #29
jamin-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
I have been cutting down 120 film to use in mine, mostly just whatever 120 film I would normally use. That was just more appealing to me than trying the Rerapan. It's not that difficult once you get in the habit, and there are various procedural guides available on the web, though they differ a bit. That's all Rerapan is doing, re-spooling Lord knows what and overcharging for the labor involved. If you are only going to shoot a roll or two a year and like their emulsion that probably makes sense. If you want to shoot the camera frequently, and prefer a possibly nicer emulsion, it makes more sense to spool your own. At least it did to me.
That does make using this camera quite a bit cheaper in terms of actual cash outlay, though there is the cost in time to spool up a few rolls. I am recently retired, so, though my time used to command a very high price, now it is apparently worth nothing, so there's that.
On a yearly basis, Ilford makes 50 foot rolls of various emulsions available in their ULF program in 127. This year it was HP5+ so I bought 100 feet. I haven't spooled that up yet, because I need to accumulate a few more empty spools, so I can roll it all in one sitting. (BTW, the Baby Rollei seems to get along better with metal spools than plastic ones, so I have gradually been shooting up old Verichrome Pan just to get the nicer spools.)
These are lovely little cameras, but as bought on ebay out of someone's garage, they are unlikely to be operating correctly in terms of shutter speed and reliable film advance. I had Mark Hansen refurb mine, but I think Koh's might do them also.
Still hoping for new film in 127 to be available from Film Ferrania that they have teased, though.
Where did you buy the HP5 roll? I had pre-ordered with freestyle but they returned the payment and said that this year the requisite quota had not been met so. Ilford wasn't processing...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Old 10-03-2017   #30
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin-b View Post
Where did you buy the HP5 roll? I had pre-ordered with freestyle but they returned the payment and said that this year the requisite quota had not been met so. Ilford wasn't processing...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Photo Warehouse. They had it listed before Freestyle did, as soon as Ilford made their announcement, so I just placed the preorder with them.

Old 10-03-2017   #31
cassel

B&H has the HP5 in stock.

Larry- I've been collecting extra 127 spools whenever I find them at reasonable prices and I'm interested in future "roll your own" projects...
What do you do for the paper backing - just use the 120 paper?

I've got an old dead roll of 127 to measure the length...
Did you make your own film cutter?

Anyone use 46mm bulk rolls? Seem limited and out of date, but interesting.

Old 10-03-2017   #32
css9450

My first thought was to roll 35mm film onto a 127 spool; then I decided it might not be worth the effort. Kind of film's version of a crop-sensor digital. And a pretty substantial crop it would be, since I didn't care for the sprocket holes in the photos which would have been the result. But I bought an extra spool on Ebay, where they are readily available. Only issue was, the seller wanted to charge shipping at a per-spool rate.... Buy one spool, pay one shipping charge. Buy six spools, pay the shipping charge times six. But I bet he would have re-calculated the shipping had I asked.

My memories of shooting 127 "back in the day" are pretty dim. I think the processing labs saved the spools and sent them back for re-loading? Makes me wonder how old the few metal spools I have actually are.

Old 10-03-2017   #33
Larry Cloetta

Quote:
B&H has the HP5 in stock.

Larry- I've been collecting extra 127 spools whenever I find them at reasonable prices and I'm interested in future "roll your own" projects...
What do you do for the paper backing - just use the 120 paper?

I've got an old dead roll of 127 to measure the length...
Did you make your own film cutter?

Anyone use 46mm bulk rolls? Seem limited and out of date, but interesting.
They have it in stock, but it is $16 a roll and somebody just spooled it themself. It is really much cheaper just to DIY, you can do it as well as they can.
I do just use 120 paper, cut down. Ideally, the paper would be 1.5mm or so wider than the film, and center the film in the paper. This would more closely duplicate factory 127 (not respooled versions like Rerapan), and makes it more light leak proof if loading the camera in sunlight. Better to load and unload camera in very subdued light with respools anyway, to be safe.
There are a variety of ways to cut down 120 film and paper simultaneously. You don't need to make a cutter yourself. I don't have the links readily at hand, but just do a google search for "respooling 127 film". There are plenty of resources. There are youtube videos of just using a cigar cutter to cut film and paper down, takes about 2 minutes to do that way, in the dark. Then cut it to length and respool it. Or, lay out a metal straight edge to length and just use an exacto knife. I am not giving total details here, but these can be found online,; look at a variety of sources and see what works for you. You need more details than what I am saying here.

It helps to get a NOS roll of unused kodak 127 film, and unroll it, and see exactly how long the backing paper is, and exactly where and how the film is attached to the paper and how far the paper extends past the film on both ends...then just duplicate that for a perfect result. There is no point paying B and H $16 a roll for this.
Do it yourself and you can use whatever film you want, for the same cost per roll as the roll of 120 you cut down. Or, eventually, get some bulk 127 and do it for much less than that.
You may make a mistake or two figuring out exactly how to do the first roll you do yourself, but trust me, it's not really that hard or involved once you settle on a system.

Old 10-03-2017   #34
cassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
They have it in stock, but it is $16 a roll and somebody just spooled it themself. It is really much cheaper just to DIY, you can do it as well as they can.
I do just use 120 paper, cut down. Ideally, the paper would be 1.5mm or so wider than the film, and center the film in the paper. This would more closely duplicate factory 127 (not respooled versions like Rerapan), and makes it more light leak proof if loading the camera in sunlight. Better to load and unload camera in very subdued light with respools anyway, to be safe.
There are a variety of ways to cut down 120 film and paper simultaneously. You don't need to make a cutter yourself. I don't have the links readily at hand, but just do a google search for "respooling 127 film". There are plenty of resources. There are youtube videos of just using a cigar cutter to cut film and paper down, takes about 2 minutes to do that way, in the dark. Then cut it to length and respool it. Or, lay out a metal straight edge to length and just use an exacto knife. I am not giving total details here, but these can be found online,; look at a variety of sources and see what works for you. You need more details than what I am saying here.

It helps to get a NOS roll of unused kodak 127 film, and unroll it, and see exactly how long the backing paper is, and exactly where and how the film is attached to the paper and how far the paper extends past the film on both ends...then just duplicate that for a perfect result. There is no point paying B and H $16 a roll for this.
Do it yourself and you can use whatever film you want, for the same cost per roll as the roll of 120 you cut down. Or, eventually, get some bulk 127 and do it for much less than that.
You may make a mistake or two figuring out exactly how to do the first roll you do yourself, but trust me, it's not really that hard or involved once you settle on a system.
This is helpful and thanks for taking the time to reply in detail. I've done a bit of research but not much about re-spooling film but I just haven't had the confidence to try it... The cutters are all homemade contraptions but as long as the film is cut accurately it should work fine.

I've got 10 extra spools and an old roll of Kodak 127 on hand now and 5 rolls of Tri-X in 120 Just need confidence and a cutter!

Old 10-03-2017   #35
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers

Quote:
Recently, in my Yashica D thread, I shared the news of a recent acquisition of two more TLRs - a Rolleicord V and a Grey Rolleiflex 4x4 "Baby"

The Rolleicord is on the shelf for now - not working

BUT the Rolleicord was just a bonus in the deal - what I really wanted was the Baby After hauling around the Yashica D this year- I was sure I "needed" something a little smaller

The first roll - ReraPan 127 - 100 B&W - is in! It looks decent. Shot around Seattle on a bright summer day in July with no hood or filter. The resolution is good - contrast was a bit flat so I bumped it a bit in Photoshop. That's it!

The Xenar is a good performer. I could see in a couple of frames (you get 12 on a roll - like the big brother Rolleiflex) the dreaded film flatness scanning issues but not a huge issue. Check out some samples:

Next up - ReraChrome 100 speed slide film! Got a hood on the way and some "SuperSlide" mounts. FUN FUN FUN
I think this is the first time I've checked out this thread, it is a good one. You do not see a plethora of images from people using the baby Rolleis in 2017 so it's very interesting and enjoyable to look at what you are getting from one. Thank you for sharing these images with us.

But what is wrong with the Rolleicord V? Though they live in the shadows of their more illustrious Rolleiflex brethren they are superb image makers. Actually the V is a personal favourite. It just seems to handle the best for me and the EV coupling is easy to override compared to the detents used on the later Va and Vb models. Is it badly damaged? Maybe we can help you get it working.
Cheers
Brett

Old 10-04-2017   #36
css9450

Quote:
This is helpful and thanks for taking the time to reply in detail. I've done a bit of research but not much about re-spooling film but I just haven't had the confidence to try it... The cutters are all homemade contraptions but as long as the film is cut accurately it should work fine.
Well, there's always the fancy pre-made film slicer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Film-slitter...EAAOSwmmxW6DAy

I don't know much about it, and truthfully, I'd rather see how it works in person before spending the money to buy one.

Old 10-04-2017   #37
cassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Well, there's always the fancy pre-made film slicer:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Film-slitter...EAAOSwmmxW6DAy

I don't know much about it, and truthfully, I'd rather see how it works in person before spending the money to buy one.
I saw that one-- pretty crude but maybe it works. But $50 is pretty steep and makes the first batch of rolls just as expensive. maybe I can make my own out of an old camera or use a cigar cutter or ?

Old 10-04-2017   #38
cassel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
I think this is the first time I've checked out this thread, it is a good one. You do not see a plethora of images from people using the baby Rolleis in 2017 so it's very interesting and enjoyable to look at what you are getting from one. Thank you for sharing these images with us.

But what is wrong with the Rolleicord V? Though they live in the shadows of their more illustrious Rolleiflex brethren they are superb image makers. Actually the V is a personal favourite. It just seems to handle the best for me and the EV coupling is easy to override compared to the detents used on the later Va and Vb models. Is it badly damaged? Maybe we can help you get it working.
Cheers
Brett
Hi Brett-
The Rolleicord V that I got was literally free when I bought the baby!
The shutter/shutter release is jammed. I made it worse messing around with it trying to get it to fire- it's now stuck in self-timer mode. Also, the advance is crunchy and working odd... camera smells musty like mildew.

BUT the glass is nice and clear and overall condition is good. Ground glass is pretty dim. Seems like a good one would be a fun camera to shoot but this one needs repair.

Old 10-31-2017   #39
cassel

About to send in a couple of more rolls from the Rollei. Here's a shot my wife took with her phone to show how a looked this summer when shooting a cool car show with the Rollei and my Yashica D -- "brothers from different mothers".

I was comparing the two cameras--- I don't really recommend wearing both cameras on a regular basis

Old 10-31-2017   #40
css9450

Perfect timing! I just finished a roll and processed it last night.

This is still on Rera Pan 100: