10-24mm XF Fujinon - Verdict?
Old 03-06-2015   #1
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

10-24mm XF Fujinon - Verdict?

Any impressions from people who have owned or used both the 14mm and the 10-24mm? Since I am awash in 90 degree lenses for big Fujis and Leicas, I was thinking about replacing my 14 with the zoom to give the X a unique capability (and to widen my broadest wide without dealing with the associated Leica issues of color shift, etc.). Though the 14 is a killer lens, and I do like zone focusing with the scale.

How does this lens handle on the X-Pro1?

Thanks!
Dante

Old 03-06-2015   #2
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

I had 10-24 for a short while. I think it is a good lens, just couldn't bond with it. The 14 has more wow factor and I now mainly use the Zeiss 12 which I like very much.

Old 03-06-2015   #3
darya151

I am curious, how does the Zeiss 12mm differ from the Fuji 14mm (besides focal length)! Darya

Old 03-06-2015   #4
oltimer

I just got the 14mm, and the 23 yesterday for recent XE-2 purchase. As sharp as you can get in both and distortion free. The other lenses in the Fuji X line, I'm going to use/try my Leicas 1st before anymore additions.

Old 03-06-2015   #5
jja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sparrow View Post
You can't go wrong with any of the Fuji lenses, honestly. The Leica lenses work really well on the Fuji cameras too, but be careful of the wider lenses.
Jack Sparrow, have you tried a 28mm on Fuji? Any issues with the Voigtlander 28/3.5?

Back to wides: the XF 14mm looks great. Then there's the upcoming 16/1.4.

My RFF Gallery

Old 03-06-2015   #6
rybolt

I've had the 10-24 for as long as it's been available in the US. I've used it extensively on the X Pro 1 and only recently on the Xt1. I haven't used the 14mm since I got it and have now given that one to my wife. I found myself using the LCD screen rather than the EVF with the X Pro 1 but find myself using the EVF on the XT1. Having the camera level indicator active is critical with this lens.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 03-06-2015   #7
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
Originally Posted by rybolt View Post
....I haven't used the 14mm since I got it and have now given that one to my wife....
Can you visualize a light bulb turning on above my head?

Dante

Old 03-06-2015   #8
PhotoMat

A similar thought has crossed my mind. I love the 14mm on my X-Pro 1 -- it's one of my most used lenses when shooting landscapes/nature. I like having a depth of field scale for this kind of work. Since the majority of the 10-24's focal length range would necessitate using the EFV on the X-Pro 1, I've decided to hold off on getting this lens until an X-Pro 2 is released with a higher resolution EFV.

Now, if I had the X-T1, I'd probably make the jump much sooner. As it is, my bank account remains intact, for the time being.

Old 03-06-2015   #9
willie_901

I use the 10-24/4 XF lens with X-T1 bodies for 99% of all my commercial interior photography gigs. I am very pleased with this lens. With the on-board lens correction parameters it out performs the Nikkor 12-24/4 DX, 17-36/3.8 D, 16-36/4 G and Tokina 11-16/2.8 DX zooms I once owned and used often.

The barrel-distortion corrections at 10-16 mm are especially good as I do not see any evidence of uncorrected high-order barrel distortions. This saves me quite a bit of time in post-production. The AF works well too. I use the lens on a tripod, so I can't comment on the IS. The lens seems to present lower levels of ghosting compared to the F-mount zooms when the sun is just outside the frame. About 75% of the images I license are taken with a 14mm focal length. I like the contrast and color rendition too.

The lens has some weaknesses. First, the hood is more difficult to attach than it should be. The fly-by-wire aperture ring has no markings. The lens seems large, but it is relatively compact which means I often grab the zoom ring instead of the manual focusing ring... and vice-versa. The sharpness at 23-24 mm is only acceptable (unlike shorter focal lengths where the sharpness is excellent).

For me the lens is worth every penny of its cost.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 03-11-2015   #10
JohnL
Very confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by jja View Post
Jack Sparrow, have you tried a 28mm on Fuji? Any issues with the Voigtlander 28/3.5?
<snip>
I have experimented briefly with a CV 28/3.5 on my XP1, and saw no issues. I don't use it often as I prefer the 18-55 for full compatibility with the camera.

Old 03-11-2015   #11
Michiel Fokkema
Michiel Fokkema

Quote:
Originally Posted by darya151 View Post
I am curious, how does the Zeiss 12mm differ from the Fuji 14mm (besides focal length)! Darya
I have both and for me they perfrom very similar. I prefer the extra wideness of the 12 though.

Old 03-11-2015   #12
jja

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I have experimented briefly with a CV 28/3.5 on my XP1, and saw no issues. I don't use it often as I prefer the 18-55 for full compatibility with the camera.
Thank you, John. It's early days for me w/ the X-T1, and while I like the results w/ various M-mount lenses, I don't know how much I like the way these lenses balance on the camera. It will take getting used to. So far, I am impressed with the kit lens (18-135) and can see myself shooting with the 14mm or other wide XF-mount lenses.

My RFF Gallery

Old 03-11-2015   #13
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by darya151 View Post
The Zeiss isn't as good. Uses digital distortion correction and has less field flatness than the Fuji. Build quality is not as nice, in my opinion. And it's more expensive. And the Touit lens hoods really suck.

The XF 14 is just stompingly good. It has no major flaws that I can detect.

Neither of the Touit lenses is a winner versus the Fuji equivalents IMO. The 35 is a pig compared to the XF. Horrible spherochromatism ("color bokeh") I got one and returned it after a week.

For the 10-20 -- build quality is spectactular and IQ is very very good for a wide, compact zoom.

The versatility of the 10-20 is huge and it balances gorgeously on the Fuji bodies. Internal focusing and zoom mechanisms. Just lovely. But the 10-20 relies on digital correction of geometric distortion and the 14 does not.

The difference in max. aperture is a non-issue since the 10-20 has optical image stabilization.

For a wide lens, I chose the XF 14. I'm still not positive that I chose correctly…

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Old 03-11-2015   #14
noimmunity
scratch my niche

The 14 reminds me of the Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 . Smallish, light, rectilinear, sparkle.

Sometimes I'd like a wider FOV.

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-11-2015   #15
semilog
curmudgeonly optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
The 14 reminds me of the Zeiss ZM 21/4.5 . Smallish, light, rectilinear, sparkle.
Completely agree. Two of my favorite lenses ever. I really miss that little Biogon-C.

semilog.smugmug.com | flickr.com/photos/semilog/

Do I understand you correctly???
Old 03-11-2015   #16
kuzano

Do I understand you correctly???

Quote:
I haven't used the 14mm since I got it and have now given that one to my wife.
Do I understand you correctly? The only justification one needs for buying new gear is to give your old stuff to your wife.

Man, I gotta get married. Someone with money perhaps?

That would solve two issues with re-loading my camera bag.

Old 03-11-2015   #17
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by semilog View Post
Completely agree. Two of my favorite lenses ever. I really miss that little Biogon-C.
Did you stop shooting film or RFs? I kept mine. At one point I had all of the made in Japan ZMs. The C-Sonnar and the 21 C-Biogon were the two that stayed. (I do miss that Planar, and aspire to get another one someday).

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-11-2015   #18
kzphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by noimmunity View Post
Is the 21/4.5 a Biogon or a rectilinear?

http://www.zeiss.com/camera-lenses/e...ont4521zm.html

Having used the 14 quite a bit, I enjoy the DOF scale and the relatively small size of the lens. Sharp across the frame, great micro contrast and little to no distortion.

The 10-24 offers a wide FOV for a similarly sized package. The lens isn't much bigger than the 14/2.8. The increase in size & weight gives you additional focal length(s) and image stabilization albeit at a reduced f/stop.

I'd take the 10-24 in a heartbeat.

Old 03-11-2015   #19
noimmunity
scratch my niche

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzphoto View Post
Is the 21/4.5 a Biogon or a rectilinear?
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...92&postcount=8

flickr
Flickr

Old 03-11-2015   #20
rybolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzano View Post
Do I understand you correctly? The only justification one needs for buying new gear is to give your old stuff to your wife.

Man, I gotta get married. Someone with money perhaps?

That would solve two issues with re-loading my camera bag.

I'm very fortunate in that my wife is a very active and very good shooter. It makes for happy days on the road when she's just as willing to stop and shoot for an hour or two.
The downside is that she picks up my gear and then she wants it too. Thus, 4- XT1's and duplicates of a few lenses.

Old 04-05-2015   #21
GoodPhotos
Carpe lumen!

I use mine in the same way that Willie_901 does. The XF10-24/4 on my XT-1 accounts for 99% of my income and that these days is 100% Real Estate listings. This lens makes even the XA-1 shine, though I'm almost always shooting it off the LCD at waist level which has brought me 180˚ back to where I started with a TLR in my hand.

I'm NOT a big a fan of the lens on my XPro-1, but that's mostly because it makes the OVF obsolete with this lens. The XPro-1 is best for Primes IMO. Yes, OPTICALLY it works fine with the EVF or (non-tilt) LCD of course, but it is an aesthetic thing for me.

I don't at all miss 2.8 at these wide angles. Though I do only occasionally miss the slightly wider 8mm of my former Sigma 8-16, even if Sigma starts offering that lens in XF mount, I'll likely keep to the better built and balanced Fuji.
www.MaineVirtualHomeTours.com
----
I'm all Fuji now... The Fuji X20, Fuji XA-1, Fuji X-E2b, X-E2s, X-T1b, X-T1g, XF10-24/4, XC16-50/3.5-5.6, XF18/2, XF23/1.4, XF27/2.8, XF35/1.4, XF18-55/2.8-4, XF18-135/3.5-5.6, XC50-230/4.5-6.7, Elmar 90/4, 3- Nissin i40 TTL flashes and FlashQ remote triggers and the whole kit fits in ONE Domke with room in the back for my MacBook Air!

Environmental Portrait with 10-24mm
Old 04-06-2015   #22
DwF

Environmental Portrait with 10-24mm

This was taken at 15mm f4 It could be cropped but I wanted to preserve the character of the wide angle for this photo.

Old 04-19-2015   #23
Bike Tourist

I just re-acquired an X-Pro1 after having sacrificed it and some lenses in order to buy the big, expensive Nikon zooms. I have the 35 now and plan to get another 14 as soon as the photo income catches up with the purchase.

I use zooms with the Nikon and will stick to primes with the XP1. Everything in its place. I originally thought to use the Nikon exclusively for commercial shoots and the Fuji for personal work, but really there is a lot of overlap.

Stock Portfolio:
http://www.shutterstock.com/g/biketourist

Old 04-19-2015   #24
rybolt

I've posted a couple of times on this question and I know you don't need to see examples but the 10mm angle of view is really quite a bit wider than the 14mm.110degrees compared to 90.8 degrees.
One thing I would mention about the 10-24. Keep the rear element clean. I had a miniscule water spot on the rear element and chased my tail for an hour trying to find what was causing the issue.
Here's a shot that would not have worked with the 14.

Old 04-20-2015   #25
Dante_Stella
Rex canum cattorumque

Quote:
I've posted a couple of times on this question and I know you don't need to see examples but the 10mm angle of view is really quite a bit wider than the 14mm.110degrees compared to 90.8 degrees. One thing I would mention about the 10-24. Keep the rear element clean. I had a miniscule water spot on the rear element and chased my tail for an hour trying to find what was causing the issue. Here's a shot that would not have worked with the 14.
Impressive work!
Dante

Old 04-20-2015   #26
willie_901

I would add at 10 mm the 10-24/4 XF is excellent. Some of the performance is the result of the on-board lens correction. Still, this lens is sharper at 100 then it is at 24.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com