Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Photography General Interest

Photography General Interest Neat Photo stuff NOT particularly about Rangefinders.

Old 10-09-2015   #81
ruby.monkey

Nikon F4. A superb camera, but I could never get comfortable with the size of the grip - I'd get cramp carrying it in my hand for more than ten minutes.

Old 10-09-2015   #82
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Yashica Electro 35 GSN. Love the lens, but can't love the handling no matter how I try. Too big for my hands. And the RF patch is difficult to focus.

Me too Lynn .... great camera with very poor ergonomics and as you say a so so rangefinder. I had two and I gave them both away.

Old 10-09-2015   #83
Erik van Straten

Nikon SP. No eyesight correction (diopter) available. Not usable for me.

Erik.

Old 10-09-2015   #84
Erik van Straten

Asahi Pentax SL. The negative mask has rounded corners. Your pictures will get rounded corners. Horrible.

Erik.

Old 10-09-2015   #85
jsrockit

Nikon DSLRs other than the Df. I just can't get into them.

Old 10-09-2015   #86
FrankS

Lots of shared feelings with almost everyone's observations!
(Love the Nikon F4 though.)

Half frame: why bother? Neg is too small and the cameras offer little to no advantage in size.

photography makes me happy

Old 10-09-2015   #87
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Yes, classic Minox 8x11 - this is where the real difference in size of the camera and frame is

Minox 35 - amazing size and lens. But I never knew then it was going to stop working at the middle of the roll next time. After numerous repairs I put them on recycle.

Bessa R for ears placement (vertical disbalance) and exterior materials (not durable).
Perhaps, I shouldn't sell it. After one year of use it was matching my slightly hoboish style.

Canon 17-40 F4L - huge distortions and smeared corners at the wide end.
I was using it as 35mm most of the time due to this.

Old 10-09-2015   #88
Godfrey
somewhat colored

There's lots of stuff I didn't like the moment I saw it and had no interest in even trying. There's lots of stuff I wanted but didn't like ... bought it, tried it, sold it. Enumerating all of it likely does little but raise protests from people who happen to love it—a generic response: "I didn't say it was bad, just that I didn't like it."

But a couple I can say:

I disliked all the film Nikons with AF that followed the FM/FE series and the F3 except for the F6. The Nikon DSLRs turned me off too until the D300, then selected models like the D750 appeal to me. The Df does nothing for me, however.

I tried an Epson R-D1. Sent it back in four days; not my cup of tea. Same for Fuji X10, X100, and X Pro-1.

An Olympus C8080WZ was a massive camera with a 5/8" sensor. It took beautiful photos, but was impenetrably stupid to operate. The viewfinder was awful, manual focusing was near impossible, and, switched to capture raw or TIFF, writing files after an exposure was like waiting for the glaciers to retreat. The menu system was hopeless. Sold it quickly.

Most Canon cameras impress me as bland, serviceable lumps with nothing exceptional about them at all. I just can't get excited about a single one of them. Had three of their DSLRs .. utterly forgettable.

etc.

So, does writing that give anyone any useful information?

G

Old 10-09-2015   #89
Rob-F
Likes Leicas

Nikons with a +/- exposure display. This includes the F3 and the FA, both of which are excellent cameras in all other ways! Exposure is a continuous proportional analog phenomenon, not go/no go. I love the meter display in my FE2, FM3a, and the Nikkormat FTn I used to have.

The Nikon F100. A great camera except that if one of those custom settings somehow were to get accidentally changed, you would never know until too late.

Leica R4, R5, and R6. They just didn't feel right in my hand. The front and back are not parallel, so the camera feels like a watermelon seed that wants to slip away. And only the R6 had an exposure display like I like. The shape of any Nikon does feel right.

It took a while to accept the Mamiya 7II with its sensitive shutter release and hard to see exposure display. But I'm OK with it now! Great clear viewfinder and rangefinder!

Love/hate: Leica M8.2 with its need for special filters.

Cameras that feel like they were made for me: All Leica film rangefinders; Some Nikon film SLRs; D700; XPAN; Hasselblad SWC; Hasselblad 500C/M.

Old 10-09-2015   #90
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Cameras I thought I was going to actually use...
Contarex bullseye -- felt silly even holding it, but good for a laugh.
Canon F1 -- weight training for photographers.
Leica M6 -- it just wasn't a Nikon S2, but it was very earnest.
Pentax 6x7 -- finally a camera more clunky than the my Bronica S!
There were many others like, Niccas, Canons RFs, but I never took them seriously -- only used 3 cameras seriously -- Nikon S2's, Nikon F, Nikon F3.

Digital -- Olympus E-10 (followed by a bunch of Nikon DSLRs I forget and hated, and a minor flirtation with Minolta and Panasonic) and finally a Canon EOS 6D I use now.

Film -- currently Canon EOS 7ne and of course my trusty Nikon S2.

I know -- who the hell owns a Canon 7ne and admits it? Right?

https://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/fr...on_elan7ne.htm

Old 10-09-2015   #91
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
Any camera with a metal eyepiece surround that scratches spectacles. I'm looking at you, Fed-3.
Spot on.

All black painted Yashica Electro 35X are gorgeous to me.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 10-09-2015   #92
x-ray

I had a Leicaflex SL and SL MOT back in the 70's when they were in production. The shape was awkward to hold, the cameras were heavy, the non west hested advance was terrible and meters were in reliable. I also hated the focusing screen. For my eyes they were hard to focus.

In the end I wound up hating my M9. It was too thick and bloated, the most unreliable camera I ever owned, the low magnification RF was bad with longer fast glass, the motor/ shutter were noisy, bad battery life, terrible LCD on the same level as the Nikon D1 I had and the buffer was very small. Other than that it was great.

Old 10-09-2015   #93
oftheherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
Canon AE-1. Everyone I knew at the time owned one, and they all loved them. I bought one and promptly became the exception. All the controls had the tactile feel of a plastic toy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
Me too. Just never liked one of the most popular SLR's of all time.
When I was still in the US Army, my command decided to standardize on a 35mm outfit for the agent's use in all offices. I was a little miffed when I realized they weren't asking my opinion. I was stunned when I found they were going with the Canon AE1 (I have never cared for Canon, and that one with shutter priority ). But as time went by, I unexpectedly found they were amazingly agent-proof. Even better, the agents liked them and took a lot more photos. I just never did like them, and continued to use my Fujica ST901. But who would have thought I could learn to appreciated a Canon of any flavor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
looking down and seeing the reversed image on the yashica tlr...made me dizzy!
didn't care for the squinty finder on the canon ivsb...
Using my Yashica MAT 124 took some getting used to for the same reason. But I really liked it.

So I was surprised on getting a Rolleiflex to find I just couldn't bond with it. It was heavier and didn't have that built in meter. sigh

I have Welti and Weltini cameras. I find the Weltinis more fiddly and find the Weltis gratifyingly more simple to use.

Anyway, who needs or even likes a rangefinder. Oh, wait, this is RFF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
other than that i have rarely met a camera i could'nt get along with.
I have to agree with that. There are a couple of exceptions of those I have used, and a heck of a lot I have to idea about since I have never used them.

Old 10-09-2015   #94
konicaman
konicaman

Canon EOS 5d MKII - very capable camera, but the focus would sometimes be hit and miss, the ergonomics were pretty awful - at least for me - and I hated the subdued colours of the jpg output (I am too lazy to shoot RAW when I do reportage). Only lasted about 5 months in my bag.

Min danske webshop med notesbøger, fyldepenne og blæk

Old 10-09-2015   #95
stompyq

I've owned the Hexar AF 6 times in total. Everytime I sell it after a few weeks. Underwhelming lens, bad inaccurate AF and inaccurate frame lines. I just keep getting suckered by threads about it here on RFF

Old 10-09-2015   #96
nukecoke
⚛Yashica

The popular Zorki-4/4K.

For the extremely short eye-point of the viewfinder. I can't use its viewfinder when wear glasses, which I must do.

On the other hand the diopter adjustment changes the field of view of the finder way too much, it's like ranging from 40mm-52mm.

flickr(abandoned)

About Film Cameras

Old 10-09-2015   #97
Sid836

The Olympus 35RC. I hate it because I like it like hell and yet my fat fingers cannot easily turn that aperture ring.

Old 10-09-2015   #98
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
I've owned the Hexar AF 6 times in total. Everytime I sell it after a few weeks. Underwhelming lens, bad inaccurate AF and inaccurate frame lines. I just keep getting suckered by threads about it here on RFF
Don't feel bad, I got sucked in by a beautiful complete kit.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...6045637%29.jpg

I just could not make the AF work.

Old 10-09-2015   #99
Timmyjoe

Not a hater usually, but man did I hate this camera:

Olympus Infinity Stylus. Bought one brand new from B&H in the early 1990's for an "always have it with me camera" when I was living in NYC. Loved the idea that it fit nicely into my pocket and the little sliding door protected the lens, and I didn't have a lens cap to lose. Whenever I would see something happening on the streets of Manhattan (which was pretty much always), I would pull the camera out of my pocket, slide open the door, and . . . NOTHING! The camera refused to turn on. That happened at least 50% of the time when I was trying to use it. So I returned it and B&H gave me another one. Same issue. I missed so many shots, sliding that stupid little door back and forth, back and forth, back and forth; trying to get the darn thing to turn on. Man I hated that camera.

End of rant.

Old 10-09-2015   #100
Kent
Finally at home...

There were many cameras that I did not like enough to keep, but there was no camera that I really hated - so far.

Some cams were pretty annoying, though.

My first Lubitel 166 had some weird lens flaw, every photo looked as if taken through an effect filter. (The second one is better).
My Holga 120 was, well, a Holga.
And I had - some years ago - a Kyocera digital cam which just ate up batteries. More than 20 photos were impossible with a set of freshly loaded rechargables.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, 7artisans, Meyer, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 10-09-2015   #101
ecowarrior

Yashica Mat 124G

Never could get on with the TLR format, couldn't see properly through the viewfinder, results weren't even close to sharp unless I zone-focussed, and ultimately grew to hate it.

Now I've got money burning a hole and I don't know what to buy...!

Old 10-09-2015   #102
jwc57

I think it is going to be this Minolta Maxxum 5xi my daughter's work gave her, who then gave it to me. I have yet to buy a battery for it (too expensive just to see if and how the camera works). I did download the manual and it has to be the most complicated camera I own. And I really don't like any use DX encoding and default to ISO 100. (I load my own cassettes).

At least the Maxxum came with a Pelican case.

Old 10-09-2015   #103
cpc

The Contax T3 was really disappointing due to insufficient eye point height. Also, small wheels and buttons make settings a pain. Great lens and perfect size wasted. Replaced it with a Klasse S and never looked back.
Incidentally, the Minolta TC-1 is the same size as the T3 and infinitely more usable.

Old 10-09-2015   #104
Ron (Netherlands)

The ones I really dislike:

- Nikon RF's in general; to big, heavy, too many framelines, and the lenses are generally not up to 'German' standards (I know, I know: most of them look much better than their German counterparts);

- Yashica mats (and other yashica's) in general since they look/feel cheap/plastic;

- point & shoot cams; since it is hardly possible to get the focus right;

- Hexar RF; didn't focus my Leica lenses & too many leds in the viewfinder

- I always had a love/hate affair with the 'ugly' EOS PLASTIC (film) cams; but since I got my first one for a few weeks now, I really started liking it the more I use it!

Still looking for some EF lenses - if you want to get rid of them pls drop me a line...

...and the ones I still like the most.. not really a secret: Leica's (apart from the digi's) and Rolleiflexes...

Leica: IIa synch conversion, IIIb, M6 TTL Millenium, 2x Rolleicord Vb, 2x Rolleiflex 3.5F white face, Rolleiflex 2.8A, 5x ICA Tropica

My Flickr

Old 10-09-2015   #105
goamules

What didn't I like?

Any Petri camera

Canon 50/1.2 lens - too soft, the 1.4 gives what I want for speed.
Leica Summaron 35/3.5 - funny colors, funny corners. But the ergonomics are good.

Old 10-09-2015   #106
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Hasselblad X-Pan. I didn't realise how much I disliked the panoramic format until I bought this camera. I like the format even less nowadays.

Epson RD-1. I bought one of the first of these imported into the UK (early November 2004) and tried to convince myself I liked it more than I really did. It wasn't a bad camera (and I'd probably enjoy it more today than then) but I persevered for about 6 months before selling it and going back to an M7.

Old 10-09-2015   #107
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A View Post
Another design by some-one who obviously never used the lens!
My favorite "someone who never used the lens" was the LEICA 50mm f/2.8 ELMAR-M, which really needed the hood to pull it out, making it really not collapsable.

Not to mention, only the cases for the M6J were snub-nosed ( I did manage to pry a pair out of Leica for my Milleniums).

Old 10-09-2015   #108
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Focusing tabs. I just can't seem to get "one" with them.

Old 10-10-2015   #109
David Hughes
David Hughes

Hi,

Interesting discussion but I'd love to know which cameras were bought new and which were from flea markets and all the variations in between.

As for my pet hate, a lovely nameless camera that shocked me when I had to replace the battery in it and had to pay just under thirteen pounds for the battery.

Regards, David

Old 10-10-2015   #110
jwc57

Bought new? A Pentax ME that replaced my college Chinon CS. I liked it at first, but within a few weeks, pieces began falling off: self-timer lever, rewind lever. I traded it back for a Olympus OM-1--and have been in love with OM series cameras since.

Old 10-10-2015   #111
Out to Lunch

Stuff I don't like: the battery cover on my Leica M6: this summer I was looking for pictures in a dark pagoda in Saigon, Vietnam and suddenly the meter went dead: the battery cover had disappeared. A 30 minute search revealed the two batteries but the battery door...no. So I went into town and bought a torch...back to the pagoda and on hands and knees an hour later I found the battery cover under a bench. The internal spring had catapulted the thing a few meters away from where I stood. This is not a smart design at all.

Old 10-10-2015   #112
photomoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Stuff I don't like: the battery cover on my Leica M6 ... This is not a smart design at all.
Put a little tape on it, like a hinge.

Old 10-10-2015   #113
Out to Lunch

I did, while cursing Leica...I can't understand why a sophisticated engineering oriented company would release a dumb design like that and stick with it.

Old 10-10-2015   #114
johannielscom
Ich bin ein Barnacker

The newly-acquired Mir-24H lens, a 2.0/35mm Kiev-19 lens (that's a Nikon mount) that can also be converted to an M42 lens.

But, with the M42 mount installed it only works in stop-down mode and tolerances are very tight, if the aperture ring has only a little play, the aperture will freeze up around f4.0 on the M42 camera.

Unscrew it from the camera and instantly the aperture works fine.

Either sloppy workmanship or a flimsy design altogether, but I now wish I'd sprung for a true M42 version... I didn't buy it to shoot it on digital Nikon, on which it works just fine...

I write vintage gear reviews on www.johanniels.com |

flickr | instagram |

Old 10-10-2015   #115
kram

Roelli 35SE, great quality, but meter could not read less than 1/125 with 400 asa. That is set the speed to 1/60 or slower, out of meter range. Got a Contax T instead and have not looked back. Worst camera for my father Zenit TTL, sloooow reacting meter, and the veiwfinde was extremly dim, even with an f2 lens, which effected focusing.

Old 10-10-2015   #116
Vics

Nikon FM2n. I hated that you had to pull the advance lever back to un-lock the shutter release. I was so glad it packed up so I could go back to the FM early version, which only locked by turning the collar.

My Flickr

Old 10-10-2015   #117
lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wijninga View Post
Stuff I don't like: the battery cover on my Leica M6: this summer I was looking for pictures in a dark pagoda in Saigon, Vietnam and suddenly the meter went dead: the battery cover had disappeared. A 30 minute search revealed the two batteries but the battery door...no. So I went into town and bought a torch...back to the pagoda and on hands and knees an hour later I found the battery cover under a bench. The internal spring had catapulted the thing a few meters away from where I stood. This is not a smart design at all.
Peter
I had this happen to me earlier in the year but failed to retrieve the battery cover. My guess is that it wasn't put back on tight enough after a service at Red Dot Cameras in London, who afterwards kindly supplied a new cover with a coin slot in it, a much better design.
Lawrence

Old 10-10-2015   #118
Mark Schretlen
mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
The Stuff You Didn't Like
Sony menus.

Old 10-10-2015   #119
f16sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Schretlen View Post
Sony menus.
There seems to be universal agreement on this one

Old 10-10-2015   #120
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

The Minolta 9xi

Worked fantastically once you had it in Auto, you needed to read the manual each time you needed to switch to another mode. Over-over complicated! (Certain functions where not in the manual either).

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram