Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do your eyeglasses look like the front of a Summar?
You can tell I shoot with RFs because my eyeglasses have more scratches than a BGN-grade Summar 135 43.41%
Because I need to wear my eyeglasses, my enjoyment of RF photography is reduced 900 percent 56 18.01%
I realize how lucky I am not to have to wear eyeglasses 19 6.11%
I don't feel sorry for eyeglass wearers because that just means there's more RF gear for me 6 1.93%
I have no problems shooting RFs with my eyeglasses 120 38.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-17-2017   #121
jrose125

I wear glasses when I'm out and about (I'm near-sighted) so that means that I'm usually wearing eyeglasses when I shoot. For me, I haven't found it a real issue to shoot with eyeglasses on, even with my M3 (metallic eyepiece). I have noticed a few minor scratches but nothing that would cause concern. Maybe my lenses were scratched up beforehand?
Rollei 35T
Olympus Mju I
Yashica Mat 124G
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Instagram- jakerosephoto
Flickr :https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 03-17-2017   #122
benlees

Eyeglasses= fuel tank

"Oh, jeez, I get so and so per tank"
"Oh really, that's bad, i get so and so per tank" (different car)

"Tank" is not a unit of measurement, neither is "eyeglasses"

Regardless, where you put your eye, or your glasses, should not be metal. Take note camera manufacturers...

thankfully, most have

Old 05-14-2017   #123
RichC

I hate using cameras (RF or any other viewfinder type) when wearing my glasses - frustrating, and leaches out all enjoyment! So I use contact lenses - but only for photography! I'm seriously thinking of giving up viewfinder cameras and going mirrorless as I've found myself increasingly using my SLR's LCD to compose...

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 05-15-2017   #124
Prest_400
Multiformat

I'm shortsighted and gotta use them all the time. The main issue I have is the eyepoint if the VFs and not being able to see the whole.
Eg. OM1, GW690. Nice big VFs but with them damned glasses I don't see the whole of them! That is the main annoyance to me.

With the Rolleicord no problem. Small VF like the Nikon F80, I can see whole.

I don't have RF's with metal in the Vf to scratch glasses nicely. I do have disposable single use contacts but am not used to them much. If there is a ling day shooting I might remmebr putting them on. But dislike the feeling over the eyes.

Will vote later as I don't see the poll from tapatalk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-21-2017   #125
dct

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I hate using cameras (RF or any other viewfinder type) when wearing my glasses - frustrating, and leaches out all enjoyment! So I use contact lenses - but only for photography! I'm seriously thinking of giving up viewfinder cameras and going mirrorless as I've found myself increasingly using my SLR's LCD to compose...
I see your point. Same problem here. If I'm out with a camera just for fun, occasional photos, I have no big problems with my glasses. But if I plan a photo session, I use contact lenses (and need reading glasses to decrypt a menu card ). It is a better feeling for frequent viewfinder use than with glasses.

What I also tried - already mentioned somewhere in this forum - is inserting only ONE contact lens, for the photographing eye. And keeping near sight capability with the other. After half an hour my sight is accommodated and I feel no problems.

I tried it but still dislike photographing on regular base with arms extended using the back display.

Old 05-22-2017   #126
dmr
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dct View Post
I tried it but still dislike photographing on regular base with arms extended using the back display.
I've tried it too and I can't compose that way, period. I NEED a viewfinder.

I normally shoot with glasses on, although I sometimes don't and do the best I can. (Nearsighted since adolescence.) I'm in denial that I can't focus properly without glasses. I find the RFs to be easier than the K1000, and the new (for me) MG and MX have a split image which helps quite a bit.

I'm thinking of trying one of those eyecup correction thingies but I can't seem to find the right ones for the various cameras I use.

Old 05-28-2017   #127
ellisson

Wearing eyeglasses with the M3, I use a goggled 35mm summaron which gives frame lines away from the edges similar to those of the 50mm frame lines. The goggled version works nicely on the the digital M cameras and also addresses the increased distance away from the eyepiece (higher eye point) associated with wearing glasses. For scratch prevention, I've used the plastic DAG eyepiece cover and the Asaki "doughnuts".

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 06-28-2017   #128
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

I wear glasses when looking far away, like when driving. Close work I don't need them.
For photography I take them off, since the diopter adjustment takes care of me. So I guess I'm fortunate about this.

Old 06-28-2017   #129
:: Mark

Does anyone here use the Leica screw-in diopters, and if so do they reduce the eye relief (ie make the wider frame lines just as hard to see as with glasses)?

FWIW, I find the EVF on my Olympus significantly shaper and clearer than the Leica OVF, probably because I can dial in an accurate diopter adjustment...