Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > RFF Polls

View Poll Results: Do your eyeglasses look like the front of a Summar?
You can tell I shoot with RFs because my eyeglasses have more scratches than a BGN-grade Summar 135 43.41%
Because I need to wear my eyeglasses, my enjoyment of RF photography is reduced 900 percent 56 18.01%
I realize how lucky I am not to have to wear eyeglasses 19 6.11%
I don't feel sorry for eyeglass wearers because that just means there's more RF gear for me 6 1.93%
I have no problems shooting RFs with my eyeglasses 120 38.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Poll for Eyeglass Wearers
Old 12-22-2010   #1
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Poll for Eyeglass Wearers

Last night I posted a response in the current "Disappointed/Overrated Kit" thread about how eyeglasses and rangefinder cameras are not meant for each other. And now I'm curious what percentage of RFF members wear/use eyeglasses when using their RF cameras. Thus I've created this very scientific, objective poll (purpose of which will be determiined sometime in the future by some PHD candidate looking for a good thesis idea).

I'm also interested in finding out how many eyeglass wearers have been so annoyed by poorly designed RF viewfinders/framelines that they've given up on RF gear and sold it for rock-bottom prices just to get these torture devices out of the house. Or did you find some acceptable 'work-around'... like focusing without your glasses and posting all your work over at the lomography site.

Fuji digital; Polaroid 250 (waiting for an 'art' project)

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Last edited by Jamie Pillers : 12-22-2010 at 12:56.

Old 12-22-2010   #2
lxmike
Cat, coffee, camera:Check

Funny enough I initiated the disapointed thread and now its my turn to reciprocate, well I wear glasses and its not a vanity thing, I just hate them, it makes looking through 99.9% of viewfinders a challenge, (apart from Nikon F or F2). Consequently my glasses have more scratches than a cat with fleas
Current analog SLR: Nikon F Ftn, Pentax MX, Minolta XE-1.

myblog:lifefromawindow

myRFFgallery:

Old 12-22-2010   #3
Gumby

All of the above.

Old 12-22-2010   #4
atlcruiser
Part Yeti

i wear glasses and it does not really bother me.

My OM1 is a PITA for some reason....who knew?

leica M6 ttl
Hassy X Pan
Big ass Fuji G690BL
Some really BIG ASS LF stuff

my flikr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

my website:
www.dearbornphoto.com

southeastern RFF flikr: Please look/join
http://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/?added=6

Old 12-22-2010   #5
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Now THAT is a lot of scratches! :-)

Over the past few years I've had to buy double the number of glasses I did prior to 'discovering' rangefinders.

Old 12-22-2010   #6
Gumby

Scratches are not an artifact of rangefinder cameras. They happen just as much with SLRs.

Old 12-22-2010   #7
-doomed-
film is exciting

I cant see the 28mm framelines in my M4-P and the 35's are a challenge, however that hasn't stopped me from ruining the right lens on my glasses. I already ruined them by grinding metal and burning the coating in a few spots. I still shoot RF's anyway.

Old 12-22-2010   #8
Sam N

I wear glasses and contacts about 50/50, but I've never had any problems with scratches from the ZI or R3a. I have more problems with the fact that I'm left-eyed. If i were right-eyed I'd still be using the R3a and shooting with both eyes open.

Old 12-22-2010   #9
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Using a .72x viewfinder for me is like... when a year later I accidentally discover that there's a 35mm frameline in there! I just hadn't hunted around enough when I first got the camera. Cameraquest has done some serious business with me, selling me accessory viewfinders for my 'super-wide' 35's. :-)

Old 12-22-2010   #10
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Yeah... I used to think I was just having bad luck buying cameras that always had haze in the viewfinder. Then I realized it was my glasses. :-)

Old 12-22-2010   #11
lxmike
Cat, coffee, camera:Check

Its like every three or four hundred year or so I remember to actually clean my glasses the rest of the year its like looking through a smoke glass coffee table
Current analog SLR: Nikon F Ftn, Pentax MX, Minolta XE-1.

myblog:lifefromawindow

myRFFgallery:

Old 12-22-2010   #12
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

OK now, hold on here! You've got to start a thread/poll for left-eyed shooters. That data will then provide work for some OTHER grad student down the road. And who knows... maybe someday manufacturers will stumble upon these scientific/objective studies and use them to redesign their cameras. And what about all those left-HANDED people out there that keep reaching for the film advance only to find they've changed the shutter speed! Dang... I think we've stumbled upon the motherload of scientific/objective thesis topics!!

Old 12-22-2010   #13
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Hahaha....

By the way, I notice your avatar pic there. One of the only RF cameras I can live with... I don't even have to look through the viewfinder with one of those. Just point the thing in the general direction and blast away!! :-)

Old 12-22-2010   #14
leicamshooter

Big deal for me. I had to give up on the M3 because of it. Then I've tried donuts, stick on plastic pieces everything you can think of to protect my expensive Zeiss Asph eyeglasses. I have a thick prescription, so Zeiss lenses keep em thin.

The best and only solution is to pick up an M6 eye piece that you can use on any M camera.. This is the only worthwhile solution. I've tried them all.

Flickr Photostream

Old 12-22-2010   #15
Steve M.

I wear glasses w/ my R2A and can see the 50mm frame lines perfectly. Focusing is a snap too, but on my IIIA the peepers have to come off to do anything.

Old 12-22-2010   #16
Jamie Pillers
Skeptic

Yeah... but did you realize your camera has 35mm framelines too!! Bonus feature for people that don't wear glasses! :-)

Old 12-22-2010   #17
jbielikowski
call me Jan

I use Rolleiflex, both SLRs and RFs are pita with my Wayfarers. However, I was left-eyed, and I simply switched myself, one week of practice was enough.

Old 12-22-2010   #18
Gary E

I now realize why I like the 50/75 or 90 FL, it's the only ones I can see comfortably through the VF

I also like to use my TLR more than any other camera format, that ground glass is a hoot to use. Well if you like reversed images anyway
Sony FE used to call me but now Fuji GFX is ringing in my ears

For Pete's sake, they're all good. Just get out there and shoot with what you've got!

Old 12-22-2010   #19
Darshan

I wear glasses and seeing all the 35 frame lines is a challenge (I use M4), 50 is a blast to use tho. No scratches on my glasses so far.

I like 35 view and want to shoot more of it, but I always seem to grab the 50.

my flickr
RFF feedback

Old 12-22-2010   #20
Bingley

I'm another glasses wearer and left eye dominant to boot, so none of that focusing w/ both eyes open stuff for me. The 40 framelines on my R3A are hard to use, and the 35 framelines on the Canon P are hopeless. Good thing I'm primarily a 50 user...

M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery

Old 12-22-2010   #21
kdemas
ʎlʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp sƃuıɥʇ ǝǝS

I never really have trouble with my glasses, or should I say it doesn't bother me. With my .85 M7 the 35 lines are a bit of a rumor but I just do loose framing with the entire field of view. Same with the M8/25mm combo.

I must say the low mag Hexar RF is nice with glasses on.

On the SLR side the F3hp and F6 are both a pleasure with coke bottles (glasses) in place.

Old 12-22-2010   #22
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious

I'm nearly blind without my glasses. That having been said, I really haven't had any problems concerning glasses and RF useage.

No scratches so far from the following cameras: M5, M6, CLE, CL, Fujigs6451w & Fuji690.

Even without the glasses, the 28mm framelines on the M6 are nearly impossible to see

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/

Old 12-22-2010   #23
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

Glasses limit my ability to see into the corners of the finder, which is why I use my Leicas with .58 finders more than the ones with .72. But it's not enough of an inconvenience to make me go back to wearing contacts.

I didn't vote. There was no response option that was right for me.

EDIT: Actually, I see that I have voted. Maybe I had not yet voted at the time I wrote the above. I just took a look at my right eyeglass lens. I'm sure I must have voted option 1, because that lens is totally FUBAR!

Old 12-22-2010   #24
sykotec

the scratches on my glasses are from so many things - i hardly think cameras are a big contributor. that said, i may be selling my IIIf soon, just because it's a huge PITA to use with glasses. the summitar will probably stay tho - i've got a CL that seems fine with glasses.

on the SLR side, the FM2N is iffy (have to hunt a bit for the shutter speed/ADR outside the frame) but the Pentax 67II is no problem.

as for the poll, i can't really vote - sure, it tarnishes the experience, but maybe 18%, not 900!

Old 12-22-2010   #25
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

A poll for eyeglass wearers with a box to tick for non eyeglass wearers ... I'm confused!

Contacts are a godsend but unfortunately not everyone can wear them. I'm -06.5 in both eyes so my specs are the proverbial coke bottle bottoms ... I seldom wear them.

Old 12-22-2010   #26
Brian Puccio

I wear glasses (all the time, 20/800 here) and use an M6 0.58x. I can just barely see the 28mm frameline, from which I approximate what my Zeiss 25mm will give me.

Scratches on my glasses would drive me nuts, I don't have any and if I did, I'd have to find the funds to get new lenses.

So what category do I fit into in your poll?

Old 12-22-2010   #27
BTMarcais

I've had glasses since I was 7, and I guess I'm just used to them. Yes, my last pair got amazingly scratched up after I got an M3, but I'm a bit more careful now, and really have no problem seeing the 50mm lines in the M3. Or I ignore any problem rather well.
The 35mm lines in my M6TTL .85 are probably there somewhere, but I never use them anyway. (50's for me. 8 element 35 summicron coming up in the classifieds soon.)

-Brian

Old 12-22-2010   #28
lacavol

I don't really have any problems with even my IIIc. Can't see the 28 framelines in my M6, but I don't have a 28 lens. If you are left handed and left eyed, then try an Exa SLR, definately a left handed camera. Even has a four in the floor stick shift and no mirror return until you set the shutter.

Old 12-23-2010   #29
stupid leica
i don't shoot rf

I shoot a Canon P. No scratches, but it is difficult for me to see the 35mm frames. Nothing to fret about though.

Old 12-23-2010   #30
jesse1dog
Light Catcher

There is hope for some of you yet! Don't get rid of your RFs.
30 years ago when I first had an OM1 I had to get a diopter eyepiece to get a satisfactory focus but I didn't need reading glasses then. Now I seem to be able to use the OM without the eyepiece - in fact it's an impossibility with it.. However I now have to use reading glasses. Yes, they do get scratched, but then I just buy another cheap pair at the 'drugstore'.
Over a period of time my eyesight has changed - from glasses as a boy of 7/8, to no glasses, to glasses to drive with but not read , to no glasses for driving and glasses to read. So don't give up yet on the nice RF that you can't see through. In 20 years time it might be just perfect even if you wont be able to get film for it. On the other hand if you are like me you will be delighted if in 20 years time you are still taking photos!

jesse

'A photograph shows a slice of life that is already history; just a piece of a jig-saw that you will never see completed!'

Lumix LF1 LX7 and some others not in use!.

My Gallery

Old 12-23-2010   #31
John Lawrence

I wear glasses, but find that I don't need them when focussing rangefinder cameras. SLRs yes, but rangefinders no.

John

Old 12-23-2010   #32
bayusuputra
BFA or BSc?

my right glass is full of scratches, but the left one is as good as new.. i wear contacts, but i don't like the dry feeling at the end of the day, so i seldom wear that now, except for some important events/dates.. I can't fit in diopter onto my MG-1, so i squint and scratch my glasses trying to get a better look into the VF..

Old 12-23-2010   #33
rbsinto

Location: Thornhill, Ontario, Canada Thornhill is a suburb of Toronto
I began wearing glasses long before I started photographing, so using corrective lenses with my SLRs or rangefinders is just the way it is. It's nothing I get upset or obsess about.

Old 12-23-2010   #34
JOE1951

Where is the poll w/ eye glass wearers who don't have a problem w/ rangefinders?

I've been wearing glasses for 38yrs. I always found using my Nikon SLR's a bit frustrating w/ glasses, but they never stopped me getting photos made.

I've been using an Leica MP-4 exclusively for the last year and really enjoy my 50 summiliux, because the frame lines are completely viewable with a nice bit of action area surrounding it. I never cared for 50mm until I started using rangefinders.

It is a bit of a challenge to see the frame-lines w/ my 35mm, but I manage.

I don't have a problem with scratched glasses.

Old 12-23-2010   #35
maddoc
... likes film.

Eyeglasses since 38 years, too ! The right glass (I now have to use bifocals ...) is a little scratched but I hardly realize it. However, I have to say that I really hate these rubber o-ring "protected" eye pieces of the newer M Leicas because the smear the leave on the glasses is by far worse than a few faint scratches ...

flickr
pBase

stopped wearing the glasses
Old 12-23-2010   #36
Roger Warren
AddlepatedWight

stopped wearing the glasses

I've found focusing with the rangefinder, I don't really need my glasses as I would for focusing my SLRs. I did however pick up a Cosina R4M for use while shooting wide glass(35,28) and wearing glasses.

Old 12-23-2010   #37
pagpow

Let's see, remind me, how much less than zero is a 900% reduction? nine times less than zero? -- that's some low, low satisfaction. Could that be what the Stones were singing about?

I also use diopters on the VF and just push up my glasses.

Old 12-23-2010   #38
ChrisN
Striving

I daresay someone has already mentioned it, but just in case, DAG has excellent plastic rings to fit over the Leica M metal viewfinder surround to stop scratching your eyeglasses. I use these and strongly recommend them. (see here)

"The mission of photography is to explain man to man and each to himself. And that is the most complicated thing on earth."
Edward Steichen

RFF Gallery

Flickr

Old 12-23-2010   #39
250swb
-

I wear glasses but can't answer one single question in the poll because there isn't one called 'Can't think what all the fuss is about'. So I assumed the skewed nature of the questions towards there being only problems with wearing eyeglasses and using rangefinders is irony, but they didn't seen funny enough, so I'm not sure if I'm just reading a thread started by a pillock.

Steve

Old 12-23-2010   #40
sevo
Fokutorendaburando

Rangefinders work better than SLRs with a variety of vision impairments. That modern coated acrylic glasses don't hold up to much abuse is nothing we can blame classic rangefinder cameras for. For one it is no better on SLRs from the same period, for the other, the eyeglasses common up until thirty years ago were from glass and did not scratch on brass or aluminium rings. If you use a period camera, get period eyeglasses to go with it.

If you use a new camera that scratches your modern coated acrylic glasses, the manufacturer will doubtlessly have a service department to address your complaint to.

In either case it is pointless to post a snide poll with only a few biased choices.