Leica M6 technical issue / help needed
Old 02-20-2017   #1
mrmaksym

Leica M6 technical issue / help needed

Hello,
Recently I bought Leica M6 classic, it's in really good visual condition but I noticed that strange rubber/cloth is popping out in between the back plate and camera body. Once it popped out to the outside of the camera so I took off the back plate to put it inside.
Do you think it's a serious issue? I've never noticed this rubber in any of M6 I used previously.
When I load the film and pull up the back plate the rubber keep's on moving back and forth and the back plate does not move smoothly because of this.

Maybe some of you could take of the back plate form yours M6 and take a picture how does this rubber/cloth is located when it's in proper alignment?
It is really easy to take tha back plate - on the upper left corner there is a hinge which you have to push inside and than you pull out the back plate.
I will be grateful for this help and advices about this issue.

Greets
mr

Old 02-27-2017   #2
Kevcaster

I wonder if should not be there! Looks like someone may have tried to bodge repair a light leak. Check here for more:
A video of the top removal of an M6 - no cloth in there!
Go direct to 3min 23seconds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDnS_6pTgi4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeaLGX6KeK4
This one is an M4-2 but similar enough inside - no cloth there that I can see. There just may be a further cloth light baffle on strip down of the shutter curtains - that is a major undertaking and I would suggest sending it to one of the favoured experts seen in these forums. You could call up leica or a repair person and ask?
Kevin

Old 02-27-2017   #3
michaelwj
----------------

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

The tape is meant to be there, but normally it is higher so you cannot see it when the door is open, but rather you can see it a little when the door is closed (at the top). You can see it in this image if you look closely, between the door and the top plate. It looks like on yours the tape has moved down at the end nearest the take up tulip. How sticky is it? Can you just pick it up and put it higher?
If I remember, I'll try taking the door off mine tomorrow morning (it's night here now) and snap a pic of it.

Welcome to the forum too!

Old 02-27-2017   #4
michaelwj
----------------

See attached pic, you can clearly see the tape in the upper half of the door track.

Old 02-27-2017   #5
nobbylon

The tape has just dropped down a little thats all. Easy to fix when the top is off at service time so unless it's leaking light just leave it alone. I've put new tape on a couple of M's i've had in the past.
If the tape is secure at that end you could trim the edge with very sharp mini scissors to match the left side. Lock the shutter open before you do to save poking anything through curtains! Only trim to same length as other side as it is a light baffle. This tape was replaced on my M6ttl to cure light leaks I was having.