Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

Voigtlander Vito CSR Fungus
Old 02-14-2017   #1
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Voigtlander Vito CSR Fungus

Maybe somebody can help me.

A friend has given me a Voigtlander Vito CSR but the lens have fungus.

I tried to disassemble to clean it. I've been able to remove the front lens but I'm not able to unscrew the middle one. I attach a photo to show where I'm stuck.

Should I unscrew the three red (sealed) screws?

Should I turn the black outer tub of the lens counterclockwise with a special tooling? This black outer tub have a small hole but I tried to turn it and also with a rubber (homemade) cylinder without success...

Can anybody explain me how to continue?

I hope that somebody can help me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_11022017_163652.jpg (107.6 KB, 21 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2017   #2
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablomolucas View Post
Maybe somebody can help me.

A friend has given me a Voigtlander Vito CSR but the lens have fungus.

I tried to disassemble to clean it. I've been able to remove the front lens but I'm not able to unscrew the middle one. I attach a photo to show where I'm stuck.

Should I unscrew the three red (sealed) screws?

Should I turn the black outer tub of the lens counterclockwise with a special tooling? This black outer tub have a small hole but I tried to turn it and also with a rubber (homemade) cylinder without success...

Can anybody explain me how to continue?

I hope that somebody can help me.
What type of lens does it have? I've not seen the CSR model first hand. If it's a Color Skopar then it's a four in three groups Tessar formula. Take a look inside the back of the camera: will the rear pair unscrew? If so, there is no need to extract the centre glass. Welcome to RFF.
Cheers,
Brett
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2017   #3
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
What type of lens does it have? I've not seen the CSR model first hand. If it's a Color Skopar then it's a four in three groups Tessar formula. Take a look inside the back of the camera: will the rear pair unscrew? If so, there is no need to extract the centre glass. Welcome to RFF.
Cheers,
Brett
Thanks Brett.

Yes it is a Skopar Color 2.8/50 mm but I cannot see a way to unscrew the rear pair. It looks like the shutter is in between the rear and the middle lens so I assume I need to disassemble rear and middle lens and try to clean it with hydrogen Peroxide and Ammonia. Is it right?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2017   #4
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
To clarify the problem, I would like to clean the fungus on the inner part of the lens of a Voigtlander Vito CSR (I think is one of the last version of this model) but I cannot find the repair manual to know how to proceed. I've found these photos from a VITO B

https://www.flickr.com/photos/769958...7628692588885/

To disassemble the middle lens he used a kind of rubber tool but VITO CSR is quite different so I'm not sure at all that the manufacturing is equivalent (for example maybe there is a mechanical retainer that I have to unlock first...)

The middle lens have a hole in the outer tube and I tried to use it to unscrew counterclockwise without success. I tried also with a homemade rubber tool with a pin (I used a small nail) as shown in this thread

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=159652

but maybe my rubber has not enough grip or this is not the way but I cannot move the tube at all. The hole is small and the pair I can make with the pin inserted is also weak and that's why I though a rubber tool can helps but the lens seems stuck.

There are also three screws on the bottom of the outer golden plate (see picture in my first post of this thread) but they are sealed so I'm afraid to remove them and decalibrate something.

I cannot see the way to disassemble the rear lens (as suggested by Brett) as it has not visible way to unscrew without (maybe) disassembling mostly all the camera...

Can anybody show me how to follow? Any suggestion?
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2017   #5
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is online now
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablomolucas View Post
To clarify the problem, I would like to clean the fungus on the inner part of the lens of a Voigtlander Vito CSR (I think is one of the last version of this model) but I cannot find the repair manual to know how to proceed. I've found these photos from a VITO B

https://www.flickr.com/photos/769958...7628692588885/

To disassemble the middle lens he used a kind of rubber tool but VITO CSR is quite different so I'm not sure at all that the manufacturing is equivalent (for example maybe there is a mechanical retainer that I have to unlock first...)

The middle lens have a hole in the outer tube and I tried to use it to unscrew counterclockwise without success. I tried also with a homemade rubber tool with a pin (I used a small nail) as shown in this thread

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=159652

but maybe my rubber has not enough grip or this is not the way but I cannot move the tube at all. The hole is small and the pair I can make with the pin inserted is also weak and that's why I though a rubber tool can helps but the lens seems stuck.

There are also three screws on the bottom of the outer golden plate (see picture in my first post of this thread) but they are sealed so I'm afraid to remove them and decalibrate something.

I cannot see the way to disassemble the rear lens (as suggested by Brett) as it has not visible way to unscrew without (maybe) disassembling mostly all the camera...

Can anybody show me how to follow? Any suggestion?
The CSR is a derivative of the C/CL/CLR series, isn't it? It overall looks like a similar body, as opposed to the B series that are different in a number of ways.

The other C series cameras are front cell focus. So if you have already removed the front lens piece then, I think you have already disturbed the focus adjustment. I suspect the three lacquered screws retain the front cover of the shutter, but your image isn't quite large or clear enough to make out the details.

Perhaps if you can add some larger images of the front and rear of the lens some more specific suggestions about whether to extract the centre glass or the rear pair may be made? If the shutter is running OK and it's a lens issue, then, you only need to be able to access both sides of the remaining two cells in the shutter. In order to clean them it doesn't much matter which one extracts: either way you'll have the access required. Peroxide and ammonia is a suitable cleaning mixture but take care mixing it, avoid the fumes and ensure it does not come into contact with other parts of the camera.
Cheers
Brett
__________________

  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2017   #6
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
I imagine that I will need to calibrate again the focus as effectively the front lens is the focus. But I'm afraid to decalibrate the relation between the focus and the rangefinder or something like this touching the screws.

But maybe there is a retention that should be unlocked that is only visible if we disassemble the golden plate through these screws. Do somebody can tell me if it is risky to touch these screws?

I attach a more detailed picture of the middle lens as it is now.

This afternoon I will send a picture of the back lens.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg close lool_v2.jpg (170.3 KB, 8 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2017   #7
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
I advanced something.

Finally I could unscrew the three screws on the golden plate but the middle lens is still stuck.

I see that there is a kind of washer under the middle lens that it retains to rotate. Anybody know how to remove this washer?

I attach a front view photo of the camera in the step I am now and a photo of the washer.

Also a photo of the rear lens. Do you know how to remove this lens also?

Thanks to everybody (and specially Brett)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg front lents 2.jpg (86.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg middle lens.jpg (99.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (114.5 KB, 9 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2017   #8
rogue_designer
Reciprocity Failure
 
rogue_designer's Avatar
 
rogue_designer is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Age: 42
Posts: 2,459
It's hard to tell from these photographs. It looks like there might be a retention ring (from front/down) holding in that next element. Do you have a narrow blade spanner to try and remove it?

Possible spanner notch - if there is one directly opposite it, I'd try that:



Alternately, does that pressed plate surround on the shutter have a way to remove?
__________________
Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.
Usually using: M4, Rolleiflex 3.5C, Fuji X Pro 1, Canon 5D MkII, Horseman VHR, Horseman 45LX

---
My Flickr | StreetLevel Photography
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2017   #9
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
The shutter plate cannot be removed as it is pressed by the lens and (looks like) the retention ring

Which is the procedure to remove this ring with a narrow blade spanner before untighting the middle lens? I don't have specific tools for lens. Maybe if I succeed with this camera I will buy some and try other ones is there any alternative tool I can use?

There is only one top notch to try to turn the lens and I damaged a bit trying to rotate already (before detecting the retention ring). Should I try with a rubber tool again once I have removed the retention ring (lucky)?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2017   #10
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
I found in internet a photo of the same kind of ring I have under the middle lens.
They called it "Wavy nut"

http://www.kyphoto.com/classics/yashicalynx.html

The camera is different but the ring is very similar to my camera

Here I attach the photo from internet and the photo of my camera. I surrounded the "locknut" that is soldered to the shutter plate of my camera

With this info, any idea how to untight this lockwasher?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lynxelementremoved.jpg (40.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg middle lens.jpg (148.8 KB, 6 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2017   #11
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
I've been able to disassemble the middle lens with the help of a screwdriver and the rubber tool (see photo attached) but now I have a new challenge.

The shutter and the diaphragm do not works! They were functional yesterday and not today...

When I turn the diaphragm it seems like it has no friction...

Can somebody give me an idea why?

I assume that I have to remove the upper plate to look inside the shutter to understand what happens.

Have somebody idea how to remove now the plate that cover the shutter mechanism? There is no visible screw...

Now I need your help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg middle lens disassebled.jpg (95.2 KB, 4 views)
  Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2017   #12
pablomolucas
Registered User
 
pablomolucas is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 9
Hello everybody,

I'm still trying to clean the lens of my Voigslander. I achieved to disassemble the cover plate of the mechanisms but it seems that the shutter is still not working.

Can anybody tell me why I do not work?

Is it because I've disassembled some parts that are required to keep the shutter functional?

Is there any wheel or similar part I have to move to add some tension again to the shutter mechanism?

Is a problem of lubrication?

Here I uploaded a video in Youtube so you can check the mechanism by yourself and try to give me your opinion

https://youtu.be/B6Nn19xtlOU


Can you see any element that is not in the correct position?

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 17:50.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.