Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M9 / ME

Old 10-31-2016   #41
gfspencer
gfspencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35photo View Post
Just to give everyone an update... After sending my M9 to Leica in NJ in late Sept, and calling almost every other week I finally got an estimate for repair and will be done FREE of charge new sensor needed 6-8 weeks for it to be completed... I'm happy with the resolution even if its going to take awhile...
Very Cool!
Canon 7DII
Canon 6D

Old 11-25-2016   #42
35photo

Just received the best early Christmas present I just got a UPS package I had no idea what it was I didn't order anything... I open it up its my M9! I couldn't believe it! I thought it was not going to be getting it until in January never got a notice or anything... I can't wait to give it a whirl! It feels great to have it back..

Old 11-25-2016   #43
gb hill

That's Awesome! Merry Christmas. Post photos you must.

Old 11-25-2016   #44
35photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb hill View Post
That's Awesome! Merry Christmas. Post photos you must.
Here she is.. Looking as good as ever The shutter dial feels a little tighter than before not a bit deal, still moves easily with one finger no problem. The new covering is a bit different from the old covering which was "new" from what it originally came with... I'll post some photos taken with it.. when it gets a little sunnier out rather cloudy in Chicago today..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2455.JPG (178.7 KB, 92 views)

Old 11-25-2016   #45
gb hill

Quote:
Here she is.. Looking as good as ever The shutter dial feels a little tighter than before not a bit deal, still moves easily with one finger no problem. The new covering is a bit different from the old covering which was "new" from what it originally came with... I'll post some photos taken with it.. when it gets a little sunnier out rather cloudy in Chicago today..
Now that's a great looking camera...enjoy!

Old 11-25-2016   #46
emraphoto

Quote:
Just to give everyone an update... After sending my M9 to Leica in NJ in late Sept, and calling almost every other week I finally got an estimate for repair and will be done FREE of charge new sensor needed 6-8 weeks for it to be completed... I'm happy with the resolution even if its going to take awhile...
So happy to hear they sorted it out for you! What a great end

Old 11-25-2016   #47
benlees

Nice! That's good customer service!

Old 11-28-2016   #48
35photo

Here is an image with the new sensor... Looks as good as ever!

L1000012.jpg by Marko Mihailovich, on Flickr

Old 04-15-2017   #49
victoriapio

I pulled the M9 out of the safe to photograph the local art car parade but I got the same lines as the op here. One positive impact is this thread gives me the perfect guide to get it repaired. I purchased the camera new and it worked flawlessly for 6350 clicks, who knew 6351 would record a sensor failure?

Off to NJ for some work ....

Old 04-15-2017   #50
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

The next time someone complains about the high price of Leica cameras this thread should be the first response along with all the other ones of free repairs.

Old 04-15-2017   #51
asimplefarmer

Sounds like it had the dreaded sensor corrosion if you bought it new. Hopefully a happy resolution for you!

Old 04-15-2017   #52
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
The next time someone complains about the high price of Leica cameras this thread should be the first response along with all the other ones of free repairs.
I'm pretty sure the other mfgs would also provide free repairs for a known defect. Difference being you'd get your camera back in a week.

Yes, but.....
Old 04-15-2017   #53
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

Yes, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I'm pretty sure the other mfgs would also provide free repairs for a known defect. Difference being you'd get your camera back in a week.
If you bought the camera used??? No proof of purchase?????? Say what you want, I think they go the extra mile. There are horror stories for every brand but all in all, Leica is as good or better than any.

Old 04-15-2017   #54
rybolt

Fuji S5 cameras had sensor delamination problems. The sensors were made by Sony and some of the Sony cameras had the same problem. Fuji replaced the sensors on every camera that was sent to them no matter the age or the ownership. Sony made you jump through multiple hoops to get the service done under warranty.
It's just good business to take care of a problem on your product that should not have occurred.
A pair of Barnack Anniversary cameras
Who knows how many others

http://www.ryboltcox.com

Old 04-15-2017   #55
35photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriapio View Post
I pulled the M9 out of the safe to photograph the local art car parade but I got the same lines as the op here. One positive impact is this thread gives me the perfect guide to get it repaired. I purchased the camera new and it worked flawlessly for 6350 clicks, who knew 6351 would record a sensor failure?

Off to NJ for some work ....
Wow, only 6300 clicks that's kinda crazy... Mine had well over 1,000,000+ clicks before it failed... Plus for the record I purchased mine used from a authorized dealer in 2013... Had no warranty when it failed... So I would say Leica is a rare camera company these days no doubt...

Old 04-16-2017   #56
maggieo
More Deadly

Quote:
I'm going to send it to NJ... They issued me a shipping label.. we'll see what happens.. So far the process has been very responsive..
How the hell did you get one? I've been trying for over a year and I've gotten absolutely nothing from Leica NJ.

Old 04-16-2017   #57
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfeeble View Post
Say what you want, I think they go the extra mile. There are horror stories for every brand but all in all, Leica is as good or better than any.
And yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggieo View Post
How the hell did you get one? I've been trying for over a year and I've gotten absolutely nothing from Leica NJ.

Old 04-16-2017   #58
dreamsandart

I can't comment on other brands or other Leica national distributors. Leica Japan has been really great. Free sensor cleanings, camera checks and lens/camera calibrations since I bought my M9. They replaced the sensor on the camera I'd sent in last year, checked (CLA'd and new covering) everything and like a new camera back to me in under 2 weeks door to door. Updated sensor was available after this, so I have another CLA and new sensor when it needs it. This is amazing to me, I'm almost thankful for the sensor issues The M9 is still a fine camera, and going on 7+ years I'll have another 'new one' when it needs the updated new sensor.

Old 04-17-2017   #59
Fraser

Quote:
Wow, only 6300 clicks that's kinda crazy... Mine had well over 1,000,000+ clicks before it failed... Plus for the record I purchased mine used from a authorized dealer in 2013... Had no warranty when it failed... So I would say Leica is a rare camera company these days no doubt...
So if the camera was 5 years old (and I hope my maths is right) you would have to take more than 500 pictures a day everyday. Thats a lot.

Old 05-02-2017   #60
victoriapio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
So if the camera was 5 years old (and I hope my maths is right) you would have to take more than 500 pictures a day everyday. Thats a lot.
Shooting that many images would make Garry Winogrand jealous

Old 05-02-2017   #61
victoriapio

Quote:
When the sensor failed - corrosion, delam, whatever, I overnighted the camera to them. FedEx receipt says it got there and was signed for. Have not heard a word from Leica NJ. I was told before I sent it to NJ that it would take 6-8 weeks. Guess I will wait for the truck to arrive in a few months.

Old 05-02-2017   #62
conyon

Quote:
Marko -- good news indeed!

Old 05-02-2017   #63
maggieo
More Deadly

Good news! My M9-P is scheduled to go straight to the repair shop in three days!

Old 05-02-2017   #64
Huss

Quote:
Quote:
Good news! My M9-P is scheduled to go straight to the repair shop in three days!

Only took a year and three days!

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

Old 05-02-2017   #65
maggieo
More Deadly

I know, right?

Well, as long as I get my baby back, ship-shape, Bristol Fashion, I'll be happy.

Old 05-03-2017   #66
35photo

Quote:
Well I originally send Leica in Germany [email protected] an e-mail stating I was very disappointed with what happened with my camera.......... I was put in contact with Bill over at Leica in NJ who then reached out to me via e-mail asking for all my info so he could issue me a UPS label. I was surprised how quickly this all came together... Hope this helps.

Old 05-10-2017   #67
victoriapio

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriapio View Post
When the sensor failed - corrosion, delam, whatever, I overnighted the camera to them. FedEx receipt says it got there and was signed for. Have not heard a word from Leica NJ. I was told before I sent it to NJ that it would take 6-8 weeks. Guess I will wait for the truck to arrive in a few months.
I got my M9 back but I didn't think the problem was the sensor after all so I started a new thread. It turns out it was the sensor.

For an update on my M9 issue: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/foru...d.php?t=161063

Old 05-10-2017   #68
maggieo
More Deadly

I got a hold of Leica NJ, got an appointment for May 08, 2017 and today got confirmation that my sensor has corrosion and dead pixels and will be repaired for free.