Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Technique: How To Shoot It

Technique: How To Shoot It Ask questions about how to take pics, as well as share your own favorite shooting tips.

Old 11-10-2015   #41
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauffray View Post
You guys are a fun group ! I kinda miss those. But I wonder if it takes a large city like NY or Tokyo to have a regular thing going, my attempts at a Montreal RFF didn't go very far either
Yes, I think it has to be in a large city for it to work. Even in NYC, we only consistently get 6-12 people for most meet-ups. Only the big meetup in February gets 20-30 or more. Coming back to NYC anytime soon?

Old 11-10-2015   #42
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by back alley View Post
and i hope to again...i need to return home and visit some 'old' relatives sooner than later.
You're always welcome... and we will make it convenient for your schedule.

moof too, but I don't think we will ever get him to come. It's a geek fest

Old 11-10-2015   #43
kbg32
neo-romanticist

These NYC meetups are difficult when you have young kids and live in another part of town. The only one I was able to attend was the one meetup that was in my neighborhood last year.

http://keithgoldstein.me/
Keith’s Gallery

Old 11-10-2015   #44
jsrockit

Understood Keith. Once Puck Fair closes, we will have to find a different location. It was just hard to find one that could accommodate us all in Harlem. It worked that one time and then the next time it didn't.

Old 11-10-2015   #45
Hsg
who dares wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
a six day workshop with david alan harvey costs $2000, or $333 per day.

a three day (really 2 and a half) workshop with eric kim costs $500, or $166 per day.

i'd rather take a workshop with an expert, rather than someone who just took a workshop with an expert! i think i'd get exponentially more out of the experience.
Those workshops screen photographers by looking at their portfolio before accepting them. The main reason being that a mix of green and advanced photographers during the same workshop leads to issues.

Eric Kim's workshops are mainly for beginners, those who have not or cannot point a camera at the strangers on the street for street photography, or they're still stuck at the hip shot phase rather than actually framing from the eye-level at the subjects on the street.

Eric Kim workshops could help photographers to overcome their inhibitions.

Old 11-10-2015   #46
Lauffray
Invisible Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Coming back to NYC anytime soon?
Not anytime soon, but then again I rarely plan my trips long in advance

WebsiteFlickrInsta

Old 11-10-2015   #47
photomoof
Fischli & Weiss Sculpture

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
You're always welcome... and we will make it convenient for your schedule.

moof too, but I don't think we will ever get him to come. It's a geek fest
[Perhaps] Sadly I no longer have anything rare or interesting rangefinder-wise, those days are long gone, so is the geek pretty much.

Old 11-10-2015   #48
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsg View Post
Those workshops screen photographers ..... overcome their inhibitions.
Sounds more like a Learning Annex class, perhaps a listing in Craigs List...

B2 (;->

Old 11-10-2015   #49
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomoof View Post
Glad a couple of us are keeping you amused. It is not easy to get a laugh on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonosguy View Post
glad to be of service ---
no discredit to those who are serious about taking 'street photography' workshops, and think Eric Kim is the guy they want to take them from, but thanks for the comic relief guys

Flickr

Old 11-10-2015   #50
nikonosguy

He is the thomas kinkade of street photography

Old 11-10-2015   #51
gb hill

You NYC group should get Ricky Powell & Clayton Patterson for a meetup.

Old 11-10-2015   #52
aizan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsg View Post
Eric Kim's workshops are mainly for beginners, those who have not or cannot point a camera at the strangers on the street for street photography, or they're still stuck at the hip shot phase rather than actually framing from the eye-level at the subjects on the street.

Eric Kim workshops could help photographers to overcome their inhibitions.
it doesn't take a $500 workshop to do that. going out on the weekend by yourself will do that for free!

Old 11-10-2015   #53
jazzwave

http://petapixel.com/2013/11/23/inte...pher-eric-kim/

Quote from above link
"In regards to my workshops, they are focused on building confidence and fundamental skills in street photography. I feel that I do this very well and I also offer a 100% money back guarantee for anyone who attends and who isn’t happy (nobody has asked for their money back yet). And lastly, it is a great opportunity to meet other passionate street photographers. At the end of the day, I see myself less of a teacher and more of a facilitator."

"It is significant that the greatest creative photographers use simple, basic equipment..." Ansel Adams, The Camera.

Old 11-11-2015   #54
borge

I attended a workshop with both Eric Kim and Adam Marelli a few years back, and had a blast. I did learn some technical and formal things about composition and light, mostly from Adam Marelli, and I learned a whole lot about the social aspect of street photography and photographing and approaching strangers from Eric Kim.

Eric is fantastic with people. I've never met anyone who gets along with everyone in the streets in the way he does. He's just super skilled with people. And that's what I learnt from him. How to interact with people, and how to use photography to interact with people. This is just as, if not more important, than knowing photography itself...

In my opinion this workshop was one of my wisest purchases ever. Much more so than buying a new camera or lens or anything else that is material.
I also connected with a bunch of like-minded people from all over the world, who I stay in touch with. I visited one of the workshops attendees in Vancouver about 6 months ago and had a blast.

So... Did I learn a lot about photography itself? No. But I walked away with something far more valuable, and learned something far greater than just making pictures.

Old 11-11-2015   #55
gdmcclintock

A couple of years ago I attended one of Jeff Jacobson's workshops. Jeff is both a superb photographer and an insightful teacher.