Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

View Poll Results: Sell it all?
Sell everything and replace with MP a la carte. 56 38.89%
Don't do it! 33 22.92%
Just sell some and keep the most used gear. 40 27.78%
Sell it all and repaint my M2. 15 10.42%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2016   #121
tightsqueez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
The opinion is perfectly valid.

The fantasies are first, that professionals don't use Leicas and second, that there's no point in buying one camera that looks better than the other, even if they are functionally identical.

The former is simply nonsense and the latter implies such a bleak, utilitarian world that few of us would want to live in it.

Cheers,

R.
One man's opinion is another man's imposition.

Iraq & Afghanistan https://www.flickr.com/photos/703557...7645044968305/

GRAVIORA MANENT ERGO BIBAMUS

Old 12-20-2016   #122
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhittle View Post
Ultimately, I have just ordered a couple of bricks of 120 HP5+ and will be just using my Mamiya 7ii this Christmas holiday. I think this combo could be the winning ticket.
I'm very glad to hear it

Happy Christmas picture-making.

Old 12-20-2016   #123
BillBingham2

Quote:
Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. -Daniel Patrick Moynihan
So timely on so many fronts.

Should be a t-shirt

Thanks.

B2 (;->

Old 12-20-2016   #124
Peter_S

Obviously there is some irrational desire behind the wish to own a ALC MP - which is totally fine, and its is a nice idea. Now, I would be hesitant to sell all other gear:

1) Practical point of view: Given the times my M6 & M7s needed repair...no way I would rely one one body (no rant: Ms are fine mechanical tools and as such have their weak spots). I always carried a Contax T3 or digital M, which turned out a smart thing on two photo projects. Sure, we all use our cameras differently. I can be frustrating, however, to have your M in repair, which can take longer or shorter.

2) Practical point of view 2: As others said - keep one MF system. However: You have a strong affinity to 135 format (else we would probably discuss Contax 645, Hasselblad or something, not MP), and a Pentax 67 can be bought back later. Not sure about the Mamiya. My experience: if you have a working RF camera, hold on to it unless you are absolutely sure you want to sell. They are fragile and the next one you get may not work as expected.

So, all in all....at least keep the T2 (or get an T3 to complement the MP, that couple would be sweet) as backup.

www.ps-photo.net
Twitter
Voigtländer Photographer
LFI Gallery

Old 12-20-2016   #125
David Hughes

Hi,

FWIW, I think the answer's two M2's...

BTW, despite the moans we've not had a rant about QC, vodka drinkers and poor quality materials. I hope it lasts and spreads to other threads about other makes...

Regards, David

Old 12-20-2016   #126
Robert Lai

Quote:
Ultimately, I have just ordered a couple of bricks of 120 HP5+ and will be just using my Mamiya 7ii this Christmas holiday. I think this combo could be the winning ticket.

I thought the OP had decided to focus on the Mamiya 7ii for now?

Old 12-20-2016   #127
Roger Hicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KM-25 View Post
When I talked to Bruce Gilden in Times Square in 2010, it somehow came up that he had bought his black paint MP used. . . .
Does this actually mean anything? Apart from "I disagree with you but am unable to explain why, and I have an anecdote"?

Cheers,

R.

Old 12-21-2016   #128
twhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lai View Post
I thought the OP had decided to focus on the Mamiya 7ii for now?
Just until the new year and then I will most likely have a large clear out and get my M2 stripped, CLA'd and painted. Then try to make this my "everyday" camera.

The MP dream may have to hold off, as many have pointed out here there is better ways to spend the £$¥. Travel, Film, Studio time etc

Oh and maybe a 50 'cron.

Old 12-21-2016   #129
brennanphotoguy

Quote:
Just until the new year and then I will most likely have a large clear out and get my M2 stripped, CLA'd and painted. Then try to make this my "everyday" camera.

The MP dream may have to hold off, as many have pointed out here there is better ways to spend the £$¥. Travel, Film, Studio time etc

Oh and maybe a 50 'cron.
I think you made a good decision there.

Old 12-21-2016   #130
FujiLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennanphotoguy View Post
I think you made a good decision there.
+1

Having just bought an M2, I endorse this message

Old 12-21-2016   #131
aizan

i bet kanto could customize your m2 with an automatic frame counter, new flash sync port, and an mp top plate.

Old 12-21-2016   #132
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

Then again you could just find a good M4, and get the most functionality in a batteryless M with peak build quality, while saving a mountain of money vs an MP.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 12-21-2016   #133
WJJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
As for the Leicas, keep the M2 for your 50mm, and buy a 0.58 MP for your 35. They both offer a similar eye relief with the viewfinder magnification, and there are no 135 frame lines in a 0.58. I use this as a two body travel combination and love it!
Sell whatever you don't use or want in order to add the MP, but that's entirely your choice.
Good luck!
Cheers
J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wholeheartedly agree with this. If your lenses are 35 and 50, then just add a 0.58X finder camera to your M2 and you will be a happy camper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddy View Post
Ultimately it's going to be up to you to select the photographic tools you enjoy/need to make the images you want to make. Or just use the tools you derive the most pleasure from if you don't care too much about the final images. I think the suggestion to make a list of pros/cons and be analytical is absolutely the right thing to do because having to replace gear that you later with you wouldn't have sold can be difficult/painful (spoken from experience). Also, you shouldn't rush to sell any gear if it's something that brings you joy in using/owning or helps you get the results you want that can't be produced using other tools.

If you want to scratch the MP itch, I'd suggest trying to rent/borrow one before selling off the rest of a collection. I've owned 2x M6TTL's, and handled an M4 and M3 in stores. The M3 was the smoothest of all, but my M6TTL never leaves me feeling like I'm getting the short stick. If it's just the frame counter and flash sync that drive you bonkers on the M2, I'd just consider swapping the top plate or purchasing an M6/M6TTL, swapping the top plate, and having an MP finder upgrade and removing any framelines other than the 35/50/90. That'd get you pretty much the same camera and allow you to keep MF equipment if desired, or take the extra money and go to some cool places to shoot said camera.
Also strongly agree with this.

I shoot a M3 and M6TTL 0.58X and couldn't be happier. I had the finder in the M6 upgraded, and have seen the improvements. Just the other day I was shooting with a friend who shoots a M6TTL with the stock finder. She passed me her camera and I looked through hers and mine side by side and saw that hers was flaring slightly where mine was not. A worthwhile expense in my view!

Flickr

Old 12-22-2016   #134
Rob-F
Not a Leica Collector

A new MP a la carte would cost a lot more than the value it would add to your photography. Actually, I reach for my M7 more often than the MP. And my MP doesn't do anything I can't do with my M6 with finder upgrade.

If you sell all your other gear, you will miss it before long--unless you really know you are done with it.

I like having several M bodies. I can shoot two (or more) different films. I have a backup in case of a malfunction.

I would put the idea on hold for a while, and see if the urgency of this goes into remission. If it still seems like a good idea in six months, then maybe you could sell some of your gear and pick up a used MP. I like the suggestions above, to pick up a used MP 0.58. Or pick up one up before you sell anything, and sell only when you are sure you will feel OK with what you will have left.

Old 12-22-2016   #135
FrozenInTime

Go for it - decluttering and a new beginning with a minimalist set will rejuvenate your photographic vision.
It's the weird colour scheme that freaks me. Every time you try to operate one of these weird black controls, which are labeled in black on a black background, a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it.

Old 12-23-2016   #136
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by creenus View Post
Do whatever you want to and do not look back. In fact, don't inform this board of your choice, because it is your business, not their's, after all.
I do agree that he should do whatever he wants, but I disagree about it not being our business. After all, he made it our business by starting the thread and posing the question.

Old 01-03-2017   #137
Pherdinand
the snow must go on

why would you do that to yourself? as a fashion statement?
edit: ah i see "sell everything" means not everything- keeping some lenses...

Old 02-03-2017   #138
Kent
Finally at home...

Keep ONE of those:

Quote:
Mamiya 7ii with 80/4,
Fujifilm GA645,
Rolleiflex iib,
Pentax 67 with 105/2.4 and 135/4 and 200/4,
Sell those:
Quote:
Canon T90 with 50/1.4, Nikon FE with 85/2 and 50/1.8, Contax T2
Keep that:
Quote:
Leica M2 with 50/2.8 and 35/2.
And get an M6 plus a wide-angle M-lens.
Main Lenses: Leica, Nikkor, Voigtländer, Meyer, Fuji, Sigma, Pentax, Tamron, Rokkor etc.
Click me...

Old 02-03-2017   #139
ellisson

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwolf View Post
It always amazes me that people will give purchase advice to someone they don't know and knowing little or nothing about the type of photography they do or what their creative intentions are. Take a long walk and contemplate your choices. Or make a list of pros and cons. Then follow your instincts and do what YOU think is best. No offense to your or anyone else here, but this is an important personal decision, and the only one who truly cares what you do is you.

John
Good points here and from the other members. If you are like many of us and go through phases in which one system/camera is your favorite, you will eventually want to use a different camera for the change of pace and challenge. Things change and you may want to try something different. Your choice of camera today may not be your choice later on. Keep open some options!

flickrgallery
Pbase gallery

Old 02-04-2017   #140
SolaresLarrave
My M5s need red dots!

I'm glad to have learned about the final decision in this matter! All the reasoning and discussion here should be an example to follow for future "should I buy ___ and sell ___ to get ___?" threads. I'm serious!

Now, go and shoot some film!
My Nikon D700 Neophyte's Guide
Now selling Nikon RF gear

Old 02-07-2017   #141
Timmyjoe

If I could get an a la carte MP with 0.85 viewfinder and 35, 50, 90 frame lines, with classic script and a chrome body, I'd be tempted. Otherwise, I'd just stay with what I have.

New Photo Books
Sturgis Stories
& Scenes From Sturgis
now available

Old 02-07-2017   #142
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyjoe View Post
If I could get an a la carte MP with 0.85 viewfinder and 35, 50, 90 frame lines, with classic script and a chrome body, I'd be tempted. Otherwise, I'd just stay with what I have.
You can get that, but would have to get the 135mm frame lines removed by Youxin or DAG.

$5695 using the A La Carte configurator. Spoil yourself, you deserve it.

Old 02-09-2017   #143
nickla

I chimed in a while ago saying I liked this idea...

then I actually did it.... then I bought more stuff... my gas never ends!

I traded in my Hasselblad, M3, M6, MM, and a handful of lens for an MP and 50 'lux.

So my remaining was the MP, 50 'lux, VC 21 f4 and VC 35mm f1.4
Couldnt be happier, its small, I dont have a ton of choices to make when I go out and I cleared several shelves of camera gear out of my house (girlfriend very happy about that part).

I did just pre-order an M10 b/c I have no self-control.

That said, anyone thinking about this should do it. I absolutely love the MP, everytime I pick it up it makes me happy. Its just so nice to use, all I ever really wanted was M3 with a meter, welp now I have it. I also really cant over-emphasize the blessing that is a simplified camera kit.

Old 02-11-2017   #144
twhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickla View Post
I chimed in a while ago saying I liked this idea...

then I actually did it.... then I bought more stuff... my gas never ends!

I traded in my Hasselblad, M3, M6, MM, and a handful of lens for an MP and 50 'lux.

So my remaining was the MP, 50 'lux, VC 21 f4 and VC 35mm f1.4
Couldnt be happier, its small, I dont have a ton of choices to make when I go out and I cleared several shelves of camera gear out of my house (girlfriend very happy about that part).

I did just pre-order an M10 b/c I have no self-control.

That said, anyone thinking about this should do it. I absolutely love the MP, everytime I pick it up it makes me happy. Its just so nice to use, all I ever really wanted was M3 with a meter, welp now I have it. I also really cant over-emphasize the blessing that is a simplified camera kit.
Great to hear this, the M10 looks awesome too. I am definitely jealous of your MP set up.

I've sold the T2 and the Nikon gear. Trying to decide whether to give up 35mm all together now... Or to go ahead with a black paint job on the M2.

The Mamiya 7ii is probably the best camera I've used and I consistently print 4-6 prints from each roll.
I should sell it all and keep the Mamiya ...

Old 02-11-2017   #145
barnwulf

It doesn't sound like you even know what you want to do or with which camera you want to use. I don't see how others can make this decision for you. I would think that you should sort our what direction in photography that you want to go and then maybe you will be closer to knowing what cameras to sell or keep. - jim

Old 02-12-2017   #146
Fraser

why if you want to try an MP does it have to be a new one? If it was me I would spend the money on a nice black paint M4. I just tried the a la carte configurator and chose Mp, black paint, m7 style rewind and classic script total was £4265! you could buy two black paint M4s for that.

Old 02-12-2017   #147
ian_watts
Ian Watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
just tried the a la carte configurator and chose Mp, black paint, m7 style rewind and classic script total was £4265! you could buy two black paint M4s for that.
Yes, that would be my choice of a la carte too if I ever went that way. Not sure you can really get two genuine black paint M4 bodies for that kind of money though. Plenty of repaint jobs around but the factory black paint bodies, even in quite scabby condition, are usually the best part of £2,500.

Old 02-12-2017   #148
Michael Markey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_watts View Post
Not sure you can really get two genuine black paint M4 bodies for that kind of money though. Plenty of repaint jobs around but the factory black paint bodies, even in quite scabby condition, are usually the best part of £2,500.
Yep ... you could if you wanted.
I just picked up a listed BP M4 from Red Dot for less than that.

Old 02-12-2017   #149
a.noctilux

BP M4 prices become reachable for more people now
good for who wanted them.

M10 fault maybe

Old 02-12-2017   #150
Fraser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_watts View Post
Yes, that would be my choice of a la carte too if I ever went that way. Not sure you can really get two genuine black paint M4 bodies for that kind of money though. Plenty of repaint jobs around but the factory black paint bodies, even in quite scabby condition, are usually the best part of £2,500.
I've seen a lot over the last couple of years for around £1600, black chrome ones seem to be dropping in price as well £2000 for a perfect one £1000 for a user.

Old 02-12-2017   #151
Fraser

Here's one that just sold one in nice condition
http://theclassiccamera.com/epages/B...Products/C8137

£1999

Black Chrome
http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-bod...rome-body.html

£999

Old 02-12-2017   #152
a.noctilux

Happy that no many M-A on sale out there.

I prefer M-A to BP M4 that I own for years.
2 x MP sold for 2 x M-A to be used decades to come.
Last analogue Ms for me

Old 02-21-2017   #153
twhittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Markey View Post
Yep ... you could if you wanted.
I just picked up a listed BP M4 from Red Dot for less than that.
I wonder if it is better to get my M2 re-painted and serviced.
It's a real beater with some brassing showing through the chrome plating.

My Maimya has started to brass too (on the metal bits that is!).

Old 02-22-2017   #154
dave_

Repaints can be great. I had a M2 repainted and the result was fantastic.

The only downside to repainting I see is that the vulcanite needs to be broken in order to dechrome the ISO-dial.

Quote:
I wonder if it is better to get my M2 re-painted and serviced.
It's a real beater with some brassing showing through the chrome plating.

My Maimya has started to brass too (on the metal bits that is!).

Old 03-24-2017   #155
twhittle

So an update:

I am saving up for the repaint/ service on my M2.
Using my Mamiya 7ii a lot, putting through 3-4 rolls a week when I have it with me.

I've also found an Eos 100 in a car boot sale for £2 and have paired this with the very small 40/ 2.8 lens. This will replace the T2 and give me a p&s that I can carry about and take snaps with.

Old 03-24-2017   #156
Ko.Fe.
Me. Write ESL. Ko.

Thanks for valuable update. We have EOS 300 at home (used it for seven years as family camera) and I was wondering if 40 STM pancake would work on it.

Old 06-02-2017   #157
gnuyork

It's a tempting idea (for myself). I have several cameras, many really. The thought of selling all for the ultimate rangefinder and the simplicity of having one camera appeals to me greatly... but I'd miss the larger formats when in the mood for them.

Old 06-06-2017   #158
Rayt

As a someone with more than a passing interest in economics I encourage you to spend money and stimulate the economy as long as you do not use credit. If my son did that I would make sure to leave him nothing when I am dead because apparently he is doing pretty well.

Old 06-06-2017   #159
roscoetuff

Cameras aren't about economics but the tool you perceive to be the "best for the job".. of getting the photograph in your head pushed through to a print.

I've been upgrading M viewfinders, and can report the new glass is a "REAL" improvement... how big... I'm less sure. But there'd have to be more to it than that alone to justify the extra grand for an MP or MA in my book. Would I want one anyway? Heck yeah. Wouldn't make sense now though as I've an M4-2 and a metered M, too. So I'm M'ed out, and trades never bring in what they should... so even trading out the two probably wouldn't cover a used M7/MP/MA. So instead I've bought a Contax S2 to run my Contax CY lenses... which will push me one step more into film and away from digital capture. Loved digital, but find I'm loving the joy of film more. Love RF's, but some jobs require a different rig... and one that can run the native glass you already own (or I own in this case... just made too much sense). Fairly complementary to the M's I think, too.

"Go out looking for one thing, and that's all you'll ever find." Robert J. Flaherty, Cinematographer
"If a day goes by without my doing something related to photography, it's as though I've neglected something essential to my existence, as though I had forgotten to wake up." Richard Avedon, Photographer

Old 06-07-2017   #160
twhittle

You are definitely right that it is not about economics, however living in the UK I understand that spending money locally is good for the economy. So perhaps ordering from Solms is not going to help a post-Brexit economy at all.

I've just picked up a Canon AF35 ml for £2 with a 40mm F 1.9(!) lens so will be selling the canon slr gear. A compact little p&s with that lens is too good to pass up..

Still thinking about the one camera world- not sure I can get there just yet. . .

Anyone doing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoetuff View Post
Cameras aren't about economics but the tool [/b]you perceive to be the "best for the job".. of getting the photograph in your head pushed through to a print.

I've been upgrading M viewfinders, and can report the new glass is a "REAL" improvement... how big... I'm less sure. But there'd have to be more to it than that alone to justify the extra grand for an MP or MA in my book. Would I want one anyway? Heck yeah. Wouldn't make sense now though as I've an M4-2 and a metered M, too. So I'm M'ed out, and trades never bring in what they should... so even trading out the two probably wouldn't cover a used M7/MP/MA. So instead I've bought a Contax S2 to run my Contax CY lenses... which will push me one step more into film and away from digital capture. Loved digital, but find I'm loving the joy of film more. Love RF's, but some jobs require a different rig... and one that can run the native glass you already own (or I own in this case... just made too much sense). Fairly complementary to the M's I think, too.