D-76 Powder Discontinued
Old 5 Days Ago   #1
DennisM
Registered User
 
DennisM is offline
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 49
D-76 Powder Discontinued

Noted on the B&H site today that both one liter and gallon sizes of D-76 have been discontinued. A "Kodak Professional D-76 Developer 2019 version" (one gallon size) is "coming soon." Looks like I may have to switch to ID-11 or DD-X. A gallon of developer is too much for me. A liter processes 8 rolls of 35mm B&W.
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #2
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua's Avatar
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 46
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Noted on the B&H site today that both one liter and gallon sizes of D-76 have been discontinued. A "Kodak Professional D-76 Developer 2019 version" (one gallon size) is "coming soon." Looks like I may have to switch to ID-11 or DD-X. A gallon of developer is too much for me. A liter processes 8 rolls of 35mm B&W.
Normally get the 1 liter version locally. Will take a look at local store today and some just in case


Thanks for letting us know.

Marcerlo
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #3
Larry Cloetta
Registered User
 
Larry Cloetta is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jackson, WY
Age: 69
Posts: 1,480
Wot!

Thanks, just ordered some of the current version as I am happy with that. New version could be better, or could be the photochemical version of New Coke, created to satisfy regulatory constraints or component costs instead of quality. It happens. No way to know at this point. Hoping the new one is “better”, but covering my bases just in case.

Again, thanks for the heads up.
__________________
Larry

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #4
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Wot!

Thanks, just ordered some of the current version as I am happy with that. New version could be better, or could be the photochemical version of New Coke, created to satisfy regulatory constraints or component costs instead of quality. It happens. No way to know at this point. Hoping the new one is “better”, but covering my bases just in case.

Again, thanks for the heads up.
Larry,

Consider that powdered developers have an indefinite shelf life. Might be a good time to stockpile.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #5
Larry Cloetta
Registered User
 
Larry Cloetta is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jackson, WY
Age: 69
Posts: 1,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone View Post
Larry,

Consider that powdered developers have an indefinite shelf life. Might be a good time to stockpile.

Cal
Yes, Cal, done. I wish I had an indefinite shelf life.
__________________
Larry

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #6
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Yes, Cal, done. I wish I had an indefinite shelf life.
Larry,

My dad was a poor, illiterate, illegal immigrant who had a brutal life. He lived to 94.

I have pretty good odds of living past 100 with all my education. At 61 3/4 I'm only 153 pounds at 5'9" and my resting pulse sometimes drops below 50 BPM.

Looking forward to retirement. I feel like I'm at that point in high school where I wonder what I'll be doing for the next 4 decades or so. Some careful decisions have to be made that impact the rest of my life.

I have been taking care of myself, eating right, not drinking, and exercising to maintain a high quality of life. Hope I have enough money to keep it going. Right now it looks all good.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #7
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisM View Post
Noted on the B&H site today that both one liter and gallon sizes of D-76 have been discontinued. A "Kodak Professional D-76 Developer 2019 version" (one gallon size) is "coming soon." Looks like I may have to switch to ID-11 or DD-X. A gallon of developer is too much for me. A liter processes 8 rolls of 35mm B&W.
Unless you're pushing, or developing v high speed film, a litre of D-76 will process a darned sight more than 8 x 135. When appropriate I'll use 1 + 3 or 1 + 1 (ID-11, but the two are nearly identical). At 1 + 3 that's over 50 x 135 in Paterson tank, (for the five litre I normally mix) let alone alternatives that use less fluid.
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #8
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua's Avatar
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 46
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Unless you're pushing, or developing v high speed film, a litre of D-76 will process a darned sight more than 8 x 135. When appropriate I'll use 1 + 3 or 1 + 1 (ID-11, but the two are nearly identical). At 1 + 3 that's over 50 x 135 in Paterson tank, (for the five litre I normally mix) let alone alternatives that use less fluid.
umm my single reel stainless steel tank is 250ml, so on 1+1 it will result on 8 rolls per liter.
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #9
narsuitus
Registered User
 
narsuitus's Avatar
 
narsuitus is offline
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,248
I mix mine from raw ingredients.

750ml distilled water 125 degrees F or 52 degrees C
2 grams Metol or Elon
100 grams Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)
5 grams Hydroquinone
2 grams Borax (granular)
Add cold distilled water to make 1,000ml or 1-liter
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #10
sepiareverb
genius and moron
 
sepiareverb's Avatar
 
sepiareverb is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Johnsbury VT
Posts: 8,290
And ID-11 is identical. Kodak is cheapening the manufacturing process throughout the line it seems.
__________________
-Bob
  Reply With Quote

Rolls per liter of D-76 powder Developer
Old 5 Days Ago   #11
DennisM
Registered User
 
DennisM is offline
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 49
Rolls per liter of D-76 powder Developer

A one liter package of powdered D-76 yields one liter of stock solution. At 1:1 dilution, two reels of 35 mm film in a 16 oz SS tank requires 8 oz of stock solution and 8 oz of water. Ergo, 24 oz of stock solution remain after processing two rolls. These 24 oz will process 6 more rolls of film for a total of 8 rolls per liter of stock solution (1:1 dilution). Different dilution rates will result in fewer or greater number of rolls per liter of stock solution. I didn't get an engineering degree for nothing. I pour my stock solution into two brown glass bottles (approx. 16 oz/bottle). After pouring out 8 oz from one 16 oz bottle, I pour the remaining 8 oz into an 8 oz brown glass bottle to minimize air volume.
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #12
Sarcophilus Harrisii
Brett Rogers
 
Sarcophilus Harrisii is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,635
Paterson reel set to 135 needs 290ml to immerse (say 300).
At 1 + 3 300/4 = 75ml of stock. 1000ml/75 = 13 rolls or as I said previously, a darned sight more than 8. I don't do ounces sorry, but neither does most of the world.
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #13
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,286
So, nobody trust to “coming soon”?
All of these stockpiling movement reminds me USSR.
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #14
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua's Avatar
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 46
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcophilus Harrisii View Post
Paterson reel set to 135 needs 290ml to immerse (say 300).
At 1 + 3 300/4 = 75ml of stock. 1000ml/75 = 13 rolls or as I said previously, a darned sight more than 8. I don't do ounces sorry, but neither does most of the world.
Like Dennis said, different dilutions will wield different amounts. I, like Dennis use 1+1 dilution, since I'm most comfortable/happy with results I get at that dilution, as well as the developing time I spend on each roll.

Marcelo
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #15
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua's Avatar
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 46
Posts: 1,065
On the other hand, someone may use stock, which is 4 rolls per liter
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #16
Freakscene
Deregistered user
 
Freakscene's Avatar
 
Freakscene is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In exile
Posts: 1,618
Using less than 120mL of D76 stock per roll is a quite reliable way to get uneven development and streaking, particularly in high-key scenes.

The spectral sensitivity and tonal curve of FP4+ is very different to Plus-X. It is not a replacement, and you cannot develop it to look like Plus-X.

Like others, I have lots of Plus-X in the freezer.

D76 hasn’t been D76 for a long time. Kodak changed the formula several times. ID11 is functionally the same (if chemically a little different), Freestyle makes a copy, and you can mix it yourself from the original formula.

Marty
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #17
lawrence
Registered User
 
lawrence's Avatar
 
lawrence is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
The spectral sensitivity of tonal curve of FP4+ is very different to Plus-X. It is not a replacement, and you cannot develop it to look like Plus-X.
Yes, Plus-X was Plus-X and my favourite film of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
Like others, I have lots of Plus-X in the freezer.
But sadly not me
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #18
kiemchacsu
Registered User
 
kiemchacsu is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hanoi, Vietnam
Age: 38
Posts: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
So, nobody trust to “coming soon”?
All of these stockpiling movement reminds me USSR.
i've been waiting for xtol "NEW" version for a month or so
still it is in "pre order" status
__________________
Cheers,
Trung Nguyen

RF
F
photo essays: Hanoi | Hoi An | Ha Giang | Fish Market
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #19
ka7197
Registered User
 
ka7197 is offline
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 72
Using one liter of stock solution to process just eight rolls of 120 or 135-36 film means wasting a lot of the developer's capacity.

The manufacturer's [i. e. Ilford's] recommendation is ten rolls per liter of [Ilford ID-11] stock solution (100 ml per roll). Normally, you can also get away with 12 or 13 rolls (75 - 80 ml per roll). An exception is Ilford Perceptol; here 200 ml per roll are recommended, so only five rolls per liter (or maybe six if you stretch it).


[EDIT: I just learned that Kodak recommends to process no more than four rolls per liter of D-76 stock solution! Huh!? I always thought that stuff was basically the same as Ilford ID-11, as everybody keeps saying so—but apparently it isn't.]
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #20
donkee
Registered User
 
donkee's Avatar
 
donkee is offline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by narsuitus View Post
I mix mine from raw ingredients.

750ml distilled water 125 degrees F or 52 degrees C
2 grams Metol or Elon
100 grams Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)
5 grams Hydroquinone
2 grams Borax (granular)
Add cold distilled water to make 1,000ml or 1-liter
I'll be starting to mix my own soon. I figure with the way Kodak has been just figure they will discontinue everything that we like the most......

I mix up parts of my B&W positive chemistry and find it enjoyable. Kinda gives me a mad scientist feel too...!
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Minolta XD-5, XD-11, XE-7, Hi-Matic 9, 5D, and Maxxum 7000 | Olympus OM1. OM1n and OM10 | Sony A300 | Mamiya C220 | Bronica SQ-a | Olympus E-P2 | And many more.......

https://blisslars.tumblr.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #21
Bill Clark
Registered User
 
Bill Clark's Avatar
 
Bill Clark is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota
Age: 71
Posts: 2,533
Would this work?

I use it instead of D-76.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/55011...-Make-1-Gallon
__________________
I make photographs as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.
  Reply With Quote

Old 5 Days Ago   #22
Freakscene
Deregistered user
 
Freakscene's Avatar
 
Freakscene is offline
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In exile
Posts: 1,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post
Would this work?

I use it instead of D-76.

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/55011...-Make-1-Gallon
Yes, it is functionally the same as Kodak’s recent D76, even if the exact chemistry seems a little different. I use it too. The main thing that seems to be disappearing that is hard to replace is a 1L pack. ID11 is the best alternative for that size.

Marty
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #23
Bill Clark
Registered User
 
Bill Clark's Avatar
 
Bill Clark is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minnetonka, Minnesota
Age: 71
Posts: 2,533
I’ve found that 2 liter empty soda bottles works best for me to keep the stock solutions. I keep the full bottles in a cupboard in the basement.

Maybe you already do this but thought I’d mention it.
__________________
I make photographs as a return ticket to a moment otherwise gone.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #24
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkee View Post
I'll be starting to mix my own soon. I figure with the way Kodak has been just figure they will discontinue everything that we like the most......

I mix up parts of my B&W positive chemistry and find it enjoyable. Kinda gives me a mad scientist feel too...!
Don,

When they decommisioned some labs at work, I secured a triple beam scale and a set of brass calibrated weights. I have an ultrasonic tank to aid in making solutions as well as a chemistry hot-plate. This stuff otherwise would of gotten thrown out.

I wonder about the cost savings of home brew developers. Maybe a fraction or half the cost?

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

DIY photo chemistry
Old 4 Days Ago   #25
randy stewart
Registered User
 
randy stewart is offline
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 79
DIY photo chemistry

"When they decommisioned some labs at work, I secured a triple beam scale and a set of brass calibrated weights. I have an ultrasonic tank to aid in making solutions as well as a chemistry hot-plate. This stuff otherwise would of gotten thrown out.

I wonder about the cost savings of home brew developers. Maybe a fraction or half the cost?"
_________________

We're talking a fraction, a very small fraction for the actual chemical cost. For example, I noticed that Freestyle sells a chem package to make D-23 for a bit over $20, the push being that it's like Ansel used. The actual chemical cost of that package is probably less than $2. However the start-up cost of buying the various chemicals required to compound your own developers, etc., can run anywhere from $50 to hundreds of dollars. Pick one or two formulas and stock up for them. If the idea works for you, then expand later. Tied into the cost savings is that you have fresh developer whenever you want it. Caution: do not try to make real Rodinal, it's tedious and expensive (no loss IMO). The YouTube videos re how to make Rodinal are all totally fake.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #26
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by randy stewart View Post
"When they decommisioned some labs at work, I secured a triple beam scale and a set of brass calibrated weights. I have an ultrasonic tank to aid in making solutions as well as a chemistry hot-plate. This stuff otherwise would of gotten thrown out.

I wonder about the cost savings of home brew developers. Maybe a fraction or half the cost?"
_________________

We're talking a fraction, a very small fraction for the actual chemical cost. For example, I noticed that Freestyle sells a chem package to make D-23 for a bit over $20, the push being that it's like Ansel used. The actual chemical cost of that package is probably less than $2. However the start-up cost of buying the various chemicals required to compound your own developers, etc., can run anywhere from $50 to hundreds of dollars. Pick one or two formulas and stock up for them. If the idea works for you, then expand later. Tied into the cost savings is that you have fresh developer whenever you want it. Caution: do not try to make real Rodinal, it's tedious and expensive (no loss IMO). The YouTube videos re how to make Rodinal are all totally fake.
Randy,

Thanks for the reply.

Of course there are safety concerns. Since I already own much of the hardware it seems to be the way to go.

Currently I concentrate on only using different two developers, although I have been experimenting also. Good advice.

Seems like economy of scale works.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #27
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua's Avatar
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 46
Posts: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakscene View Post
Using less than 120mL of D76 stock per roll is a quite reliable way to get uneven development and streaking, particularly in high-key scenes.

The spectral sensitivity and tonal curve of FP4+ is very different to Plus-X. It is not a replacement, and you cannot develop it to look like Plus-X.

Like others, I have lots of Plus-X in the freezer.

D76 hasn’t been D76 for a long time. Kodak changed the formula several times. ID11 is functionally the same (if chemically a little different), Freestyle makes a copy, and you can mix it yourself from the original formula.

Marty
So using 1+1 for 1 35mm roll, 1+1 dilution, about 125ml got me on the safe side then?

Yeah agree on you about Plus X. To be honest, no idea what spectral sensitivity is but yes, FP4 looks different than Plus X. FP4 looks more "perfect" so to speak. Plus X make it look more vintage, old, so use it on portraits that I want to have an old look.

Marcelo
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #28
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaniagua View Post
So using 1+1 for 1 35mm roll, 1+1 dilution, about 125ml got me on the safe side then?

Yeah agree on you about Plus X. To be honest, no idea what spectral sensitivity is but yes, FP4 looks different than Plus X. FP4 looks more "perfect" so to speak. Plus X make it look more vintage, old, so use it on portraits that I want to have an old look.

Marcelo
Marcelo,

I'm finding FP4 to be more like 100 ISO.

HP5 likes more exposure too, like say 320. With Tri-X I get an honest 400.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #29
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua's Avatar
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 46
Posts: 1,065
Cal
Yeah you may be right about that about FP4. Probably even a bit slower.

Haven't used HP5 much, and when I did I pushed to 800 most of the time so not sure how it behave at box speed.

I guess the only trait they share is that they (FP4 and Plux X) are the same "old school" emulsion kind, unlike T grain films like Deltas.

Regards

Marcelo
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #30
Glenn2
Registered User
 
Glenn2's Avatar
 
Glenn2 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 344
Cal, too bad you couldn’t have gotten some of the chemicals when the lab was decommissioned. I had something similar happen when the photo group where I worked packed it in. I was in the chemistry department and they stored their reagents in our chemical bunker.

All their stuff was going for disposal and was allowed to divert some of the useful ingredients. Stuff like Metol, hydroquinone, KBr, sodium sulfite, etc.

These were fairly large quantities, kilos in some cases so should be good for D76 in the foreseeable future. I may have one foot in the analog past but one of the modern digital scales sure makes weighing easier than a beam balance.

Cheers, Glenn
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #31
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn2 View Post
Cal, too bad you couldn’t have gotten some of the chemicals when the lab was decommissioned. I had something similar happen when the photo group where I worked packed it in. I was in the chemistry department and they stored their reagents in our chemical bunker.

All their stuff was going for disposal and was allowed to divert some of the useful ingredients. Stuff like Metol, hydroquinone, KBr, sodium sulfite, etc.

These were fairly large quantities, kilos in some cases so should be good for D76 in the foreseeable future. I may have one foot in the analog past but one of the modern digital scales sure makes weighing easier than a beam balance.

Cheers, Glenn
Glenn,

My labs are more nuclear and hospital related. We basically make nuclides using a cyclotron to then create nuclear pharmaceticals for PET Camera imaging.

Bombarding materials to transmutate them into radioactive isotopes is what I do with the cyclotron. Pretty much I add protons to atoms to make them unstable (radioactive).

A funny story is that there was this 40 gallon drum of Boron Nitrate that lingered in out lab for about two years. No body knew why it was there, but I would later learn that this was intended to be used in the shielding since Boron is a great moderator of neutrons.

Boron Nitrate is like Potasium Nitrate in that it is an oxidizer used to make explosives/bombs. I called safety and had them dispose of this potential hazard.

I recycle for my use these one gallon brown glass bottles that once held aclcohols to mix my chemistry. In my lab I have access to 18 Megaohm water that is scrubbed via reverse osmosis. Pretty much this water is so pure that it is unsafe to drink.

I use it for my stop bath and for mixing fixer. I use no Photoflow and I rarely get any drying marks.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #32
Steinberg2010
Registered User
 
Steinberg2010's Avatar
 
Steinberg2010 is offline
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Cambridge, UK
Age: 28
Posts: 204
If D-76 is gone, is it likely that ID-11 will dry up too? Or is it just Kodak ditching this product?
__________________
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

F3, 50mm F1.8 E, 105mm F2.5 (Pre-AI)

Leica M3, M5, 50mm Summicron, 40mm Summicron - C, 35mm VC PI, 35mm Summaron f3.5
  Reply With Quote

Id-11
Old 4 Days Ago   #33
KenR
Registered User
 
KenR is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 692
Id-11

One has to assume that if D-76 is no longer available, that ID-11 sales should increase to fill the void. When Kodak enlarging paper went extinct, I shifted to Ilford and have been a loyal Ilford user since then. My expectation is that with changes to HC110 and now the discontinuance of D-76, Ilford and others will be the beneficiaries.
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #34
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier
 
xayraa33's Avatar
 
xayraa33 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 5,860
I got D-76 running in my blood veins, I used that stuff for decades on end.

The raw materials to mix your own D-76 are not cheap to buy on their own and I would not want that amount sitting around for a long time to oxidize.
__________________
My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 4 Days Ago   #35
Mackinaw
Think Different
 
Mackinaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: One hour south of the Mackinaw Bridge
Posts: 3,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinberg2010 View Post
If D-76 is gone, is it likely that ID-11 will dry up too? Or is it just Kodak ditching this product?
I just looked at the Kodak Alaris website. Looks like old D-76 has been replaced by a new D-76. One gallon size only. The PDF is dated July 30, 2019.

Jim B.
__________________
My fancy-schmancy gallery:
http://snowcountryphotography.com

My RFF Gallery:
http://www.rangefinderforum.com/phot...user=1453&sl=m
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Days Ago   #36
sepiareverb
genius and moron
 
sepiareverb's Avatar
 
sepiareverb is offline
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St Johnsbury VT
Posts: 8,290
Mixing stock solutions and decanting them into glass bottles topped off with Bloxygen will eliminate the developer going bad in the bottle for a very long time.
__________________
-Bob
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Days Ago   #37
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 5,967
Our own survey shows that D-76 and Rodinal are the two most popular developers among RFF members. It seems absurd that Kodak would discontinue D-76! Can this be real?
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Days Ago   #38
rolfe
Registered User
 
rolfe's Avatar
 
rolfe is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Egremont, MA
Posts: 391
Kodak is changing suppliers on all its developers so the SKU is changing, that's all.

Rolfe
__________________
My Flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Days Ago   #39
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
Mixing stock solutions and decanting them into glass bottles topped off with Bloxygen will eliminate the developer going bad in the bottle for a very long time.
And I believe glass is superior to plastic, which apparently allows some air infiltration? I was trying out half-liter 7-Up bottles, but now I use 16 ounce glass brown beer bottles. Of course, you have to drink the beer--it's part of the ritual . . .
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote

Old 3 Days Ago   #40
Rob-F
Likes Leicas
 
Rob-F's Avatar
 
Rob-F is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: The Show Me state
Age: 78
Posts: 5,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfe View Post
Kodak is changing suppliers on all its developers so the SKU is changing, that's all.

Rolfe
1. What is an "SKU?"
2. So maybe the developer itself has not changed?
__________________
May the light be with you.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:33.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.