Old 06-26-2019   #41
richardHaw
junk scavenger
 
richardHaw's Avatar
 
richardHaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 417
well, just think of it this way, at least it will drive used camera prices down to more realistic levels
__________________
Take me down to the Parallax City
Where the viewfinder's tiny
And the framing is tricky
http://www.richardhaw.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2019   #42
Gid
Registered User
 
Gid's Avatar
 
Gid is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,736
A new M240 was already available for a similar price - Leica store UK had them on its list recently for £3,500, so I can't see the new ME making a huge difference to prices of used M240s. if you paid £5,500 for one then I can see that you might be annoyed, but that is just the way it goes. I bought a new Canon 6D less than a year ago for £699 compared to a launch price of £1799. If you wait until a product's life cycle end you can get them for a good price. Patience is a virtue but not always exciting.
__________________
My Gallery

My Top Ten

Gid
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019   #43
Gregm61
Registered User
 
Gregm61 is offline
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 463
I read "sapphire glass" in a response or two above. Don't you need to buy the much more expensive "P" version to get that? I believe the Gorilla Glass back LCD on this new M-E is the exact same material used in the stock M240 unit as well as the only digital M (M262) I have ever purchased new......and still love shooting.

Far as video goes, these things could have 8K video capability in them and I'd still not shoot a second's worth of video. I can probably count the number of minutes-worth of video I've shot using all digital cameras I've purchased since 2003 on the fingers of one hand, and that was just fooling around with it.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019   #44
o-Tom-atic
Registered User
 
o-Tom-atic's Avatar
 
o-Tom-atic is offline
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
So, is it better to wait that the price of a used Leica M goes down or buy a new M-E instead?
__________________
Leica IIIf
Fujifilm X-T2, Minolta XD11, Mamiya 645, Zorki-4k.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019   #45
richardHaw
junk scavenger
 
richardHaw's Avatar
 
richardHaw is offline
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Tokyo
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gid View Post
A new M240 was already available for a similar price - Leica store UK had them on its list recently for £3,500, so I can't see the new ME making a huge difference to prices of used M240s. if you paid £5,500 for one then I can see that you might be annoyed, but that is just the way it goes. I bought a new Canon 6D less than a year ago for £699 compared to a launch price of £1799. If you wait until a product's life cycle end you can get them for a good price. Patience is a virtue but not always exciting.
damn, theyre so expensive here in japan
__________________
Take me down to the Parallax City
Where the viewfinder's tiny
And the framing is tricky
http://www.richardhaw.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019   #46
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by o-Tom-atic View Post
So, is it better to wait that the price of a used Leica M goes down or buy a new M-E instead?
Used M is now about $2500. New M-E is $4000.

Used M10 is under $5K now. Soooooo... how about used M10 or new M-E?
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #47
Archiver
Registered User
 
Archiver is offline
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
To keep things in perspective, current discounts on the Fujifilm GFX50R make medium format slightly cheaper than Leica M.

In Australia, there's no way you could get a GFX50R plus a lens for under 10k AUD. That's instant M10 territory. A new digital M body for 6k AUD is in the same range as the Leica Q, or even less than the Q II.
__________________
~Loving Every Image Captured Always~
Archiver on flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #48
jja
Registered User
 
jja is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Used M is now about $2500. New M-E is $4000.

Used M10 is under $5K now. Soooooo... how about used M10 or new M-E?
I have not shot an M10, but based on what some users claim, the picture quality is similar to the M240, with only one additional stop of *usable* dynamic range (there are other differences not related to photo quality, such as marginally thinner body, simplified menus, addition of ISO dial, improved viewfinder, reduced battery life). Based on these reports, one might argue that either the M240 or the new ME are the best value. I have an MP240 going on three months now that I bought used, but if I were in the market for an M right now, new or used, I'd look hard at the ME. Two year warranty brings a lot of peace of mind.
__________________
My Flickr

My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #49
o-Tom-atic
Registered User
 
o-Tom-atic's Avatar
 
o-Tom-atic is offline
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
What about the ISO performance of the M’s sensor vs the new M10 sensor? I read that with the M240, you shouldn’t go beyond ISO 3200. How does it compare to the M10?
__________________
Leica IIIf
Fujifilm X-T2, Minolta XD11, Mamiya 645, Zorki-4k.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #50
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
To keep things in perspective, current discounts on the Fujifilm GFX50R make medium format slightly cheaper than Leica M.
And a 47mp Nikon Z7 is a lot cheaper than the Leica. But so what? The experience is not the same.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #51
Gid
Registered User
 
Gid's Avatar
 
Gid is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,736
A well known reviewer estimates that the M10 has a 1.5 stop advantage over the M240 at high ISO levels - above ISO3200. The difference appears to be smaller at lower ISOs.

My experience with the M240 is that ISO3200 is perfectly usable but I tend to set ISO1600 as my limit. Bear in mind that my previous digital leicas were the M8/M8.2 where good ISO1600 would have been a luxury and prior to that I was happy with ISO400 film in any of my film Ms. It is all relative, of course, and what you consider good, bad or adequate performance depends to some extent whether you're looking back at how bad it used to be or forward to how good it could be
__________________
My Gallery

My Top Ten

Gid
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #52
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
I'm seriously thinking about getting this M-E though..
But think..in a couple of years time..this will be a pretty ancient camera design..
Not ancient. Timeless. Seriously the whole point of the M is the traditional simplicity of the process. Digital photography stripped down. There is a purpose and intention to that. If you want the bells and whistles then it is stuff like the Q2 or SL.
What matters is the result, and Ms are very capable of making stunning images.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #53
Gid
Registered User
 
Gid's Avatar
 
Gid is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,736
What Huss said.

Having obtained recently the correct dioptre lens for my M240 I'm now keeping it.
__________________
My Gallery

My Top Ten

Gid
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #54
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,668
Surely the new m-e 240 is using the same 24MP sensor that is in the M10 and not leftovers from 2012.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #55
Gid
Registered User
 
Gid's Avatar
 
Gid is offline
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,736
The ME 240 is an M240 with the 2GB buffer from the MP240.
__________________
My Gallery

My Top Ten

Gid
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #56
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 993
Quote:
Not ancient. Timeless.
Huss..I worded that wrong..
Its the chip and the electronics I was talking about..those aint timeless..
I have an M3 & M6 and other formats up to 16x20 ULF..
So if I want timeless..I got that covered..
Thing is..its an old azz interior electronically..
But a reliable one..esp in Leica digital terms..
And..I have no doubt..that the current partnership w/Panasonic..will reveal possible stunning improvements in the next itineration of the M240 series..and may well be worth the extra few K...esp in terms of speed and color..
But waiting for that is a fools journey..
And remember the M-E you bought..the last of the M9 series..priced el cheepo..to move em out..paint it grey..

Just the name...M-E..should send shivers of fear..up your spine...
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #57
PRJ
Another Day in Paradise
 
PRJ's Avatar
 
PRJ is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 310
The ME is the perfect camera for the selfie generation. I'd bet if they called it the ME-ME-ME they'd sell ten times as many. It is just missing a mirror on the front.

Still, glad that Leica are making a camera that some more people can afford new.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #58
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Huss..I worded that wrong..
Its the chip and the electronics I was talking about..those aint timeless..
I have an M3 & M6 and other formats up to 16x20 ULF..
So if I want timeless..I got that covered..
Thing is..its an old azz interior electronically..
But a reliable one..esp in Leica digital terms..
And..I have no doubt..that the current partnership w/Panasonic..will reveal possible stunning improvements in the next itineration of the M240 series..and may well be worth the extra few K...esp in terms of speed and color..
But waiting for that is a fools journey..
And remember the M-E you bought..the last of the M9 series..priced el cheepo..to move em out..paint it grey..

Just the name...M-E..should send shivers of fear..up your spine...
The M-E I bought was $5500 way back when! The one now is $4000 which shows what deal it is. Also the M240 series has been bullet proof. Leica knew they were selling defective kameras with the M9 series.

Does it matter if the interior of the new M-E is old? Doesnt what matter is that it works and the quality of the pics that come out of it are excellent? Cuz they are.
This is a case of having passed a level of sufficiency a long time ago.
Telling a story does not require IBIS/ISO80,000/Super duper metering etc etc. Look back at all those incredible pics throughout the history of photography.
The Leica M-E has got u covered. Or the M240. Don't waste ur money on an M10, no-one outside a high ISO pixel peeper (1 stop difference!) is going to notice any diffrence. But they may notice the difference in battery life and their wallet.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #59
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 993
Quote:
The M-E I bought was $5500 way back when!
Dude..! Dats a lot of do re mi..
Could buy a lot..of Tuna melts for that..lol..

But get the current M-E..
And 2 years down the road out of warrantee....its going for under 2K..
Thats 1 hell..of a deal..
Thing is..I would luv to have a rangefinder digital to use my Leica lenses with..
I would hate to buy this camera..and find out my Noct needs to be re calibrated..and my 35mm 1.4's..are out of rangefinder sync..
And the 135mm..is out..
May get it anyway though..
You only live once..unless you believe in reincarnation..
Who knows where Leica will be then..lol..
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #60
JeffS7444
Registered User
 
JeffS7444 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
And a 47mp Nikon Z7 is a lot cheaper than the Leica. But so what? The experience is not the same.

So are you saying that if someone took away your M-cameras and gave you a GFX50R in it's place, that you couldn't make it work for you? This isn't an apples-to-oranges situation, it's more like comparing two different varieties of apple.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #61
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is offline
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
So are you saying that if someone took away your M-cameras and gave you a GFX50R in it's place, that you couldn't make it work for you? This isn't an apples-to-oranges situation, it's more like comparing two different varieties of apple.

No, because I would never take that massive lump anywhere with me.

You're right, it's not apples to orange situation, more like an apple to a watermelon.

Size comparison:

http://j.mp/2Yo7uQo

The Fujis are freakin massive in comparison, with much slower lenses.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #62
o-Tom-atic
Registered User
 
o-Tom-atic's Avatar
 
o-Tom-atic is offline
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 18
What about the seize of the M240 (M-E) vs the M10? Isn’t the M10 more like the size old classic cameras? Is the chubbier M240 awkward to hold? Just asking because I never had the chance to hold any of them.
__________________
Leica IIIf
Fujifilm X-T2, Minolta XD11, Mamiya 645, Zorki-4k.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2019   #63
BillBlackwell
Registered User
 
BillBlackwell's Avatar
 
BillBlackwell is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Age: 61
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by o-Tom-atic View Post
What about the seize of the M240 (M-E) vs the M10? Isnít the M10 more like the size old classic cameras? Is the chubbier M240 awkward to hold? Just asking because I never had the chance to hold any of them.
If you're used to an M film body the chunkier digital M will get some minor getting used to. I adjusted quickly and now use my M2 and M-P 240 interchangeably without thinking about it. All digital Leica M cameras, excepting the M10 variants, are approximately 4mm thicker with height roughly equivalent to an M6TTL or M7.
https://mirrorlesscomparison.com/pre...s-leica-m-240/
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019   #64
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 993
Does anybody have experience shooting video with this model?
What is the video time limit in HD..?
Can it shoot 30 min straight..or less..?
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019   #65
BillBlackwell
Registered User
 
BillBlackwell's Avatar
 
BillBlackwell is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Age: 61
Posts: 873
Video is very sharp and clear, but the sound quality sucks! Even with the optional microphone attached to the hot shoe, sound is terrible.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019   #66
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 993
Quote:
Video is very sharp and clear, but the sound quality sucks! Even with the optional microphone attached to the hot shoe, sound is terrible.
Sound quality doesnt matter to me fortunately..as I use an external recorder if I want better sound. But if you run the M240 sound thru a music program..you can probably dress it up a bit..
No one knows video length?
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019   #67
BillBlackwell
Registered User
 
BillBlackwell's Avatar
 
BillBlackwell is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Age: 61
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
... No one knows video length?
Limiting factors are 30 minutes or a maximum file size of 4GB. When I played with the video feature on my M-P 240 I used the maximum image quality setting and always hit the size limit first (~20 minutes).
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019   #68
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 993
Quote:
When I played with the video feature on my M-P 240 I used the maximum image quality setting and always hit the size limit first (~20 minutes).
Thx Bill! I needed that info to make my decision.
  Reply With Quote

Leica M-E (typ 240)
Old 06-29-2019   #69
Out to Lunch
Registered User
 
Out to Lunch's Avatar
 
Out to Lunch is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 5,303
Leica M-E (typ 240)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...e_typ_240.html


Available early July at $ 3,995. Any comments?


Cheers, Peter
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019   #70
Bingley
Registered User
 
Bingley's Avatar
 
Bingley is offline
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sacramento, California
Posts: 5,656
I’m interested...
__________________
Steve

FS: Zeiss-ZM Planar 50 plus hood, Pentax MX, Voigtlander Ultron 40/2.0 SLII in Pentax K-mount, Takumar 100/2.8 and 35/3.5 lenses: See my ads in Classifieds

M3, M2, R2A, IIIc, IVSB2, & T, and assorted LTM & M lenses
Minolta XD11, Pentax ME Super, and assorted MD Rokkor and Takumar lenses, Rolleicord III, Rolleicord Vb, Rolleiflex Automat MX-EVS

My Flickr
My Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2019   #71
Out to Lunch
Registered User
 
Out to Lunch's Avatar
 
Out to Lunch is offline
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vietnam
Posts: 5,303
I just scrolled through the BH page and it appears the camera works with the Leica Visoflex EVF2.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019   #72
airfrogusmc
Registered User
 
airfrogusmc is offline
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 5,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja View Post
I have not shot an M10, but based on what some users claim, the picture quality is similar to the M240, with only one additional stop of *usable* dynamic range (there are other differences not related to photo quality, such as marginally thinner body, simplified menus, addition of ISO dial, improved viewfinder, reduced battery life). Based on these reports, one might argue that either the M240 or the new ME are the best value. I have an MP240 going on three months now that I bought used, but if I were in the market for an M right now, new or used, I'd look hard at the ME. Two year warranty brings a lot of peace of mind.
I have both an M 262 and a couple of M 10s and the M 10 is more than a stop better in low light.
20,000 ISO




The low light capabilities and the lack of any shutter lag in the M 10 are two reason I bought the M 10.

And for video I wouldn't shoot video with a rangefinder or a DSLR. They make REALLY good video cameras for video. I am glad they left it off the M 262 and M 10.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019   #73
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,875
A very old camera for $4000 and people are excited like it’s some kind of excellent deal? I get it... it’s the cheapest new digital m ever, but it’s cheaper for a reason. Once you start thinking of paying $4,000, it may be better to go all in and get the body you truly want.
  Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2019   #74
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 993
Quote:
A very old camera for $4000 and people are excited like it’s some kind of excellent deal? I get it... it’s the cheapest new digital m ever, but it’s cheaper for a reason. Once you start thinking of paying $4,000, it may be better to go all in and get the body you truly want.
Problem is..they dont make the exact body I really want..and when they finally get around to it..I'm gonna be so old..I wont be able to sqeeze the trigger...lol..
As well..as it will be 10K by then..maybe more..
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2019   #75
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Keith is offline
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 18,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by benlees View Post
The local camera shop here has it listed at $4695 CDN. The 262 is "on sale" for $6195 CDN. The M-E is almost a bargain...

Can't remember the last time I saw any Leica offering and the word 'Bargain' used in the same sentence!
__________________
---------------------------
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2019   #76
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
A very old camera for $4000 and people are excited like it’s some kind of excellent deal? I get it... it’s the cheapest new digital m ever, but it’s cheaper for a reason. Once you start thinking of paying $4,000, it may be better to go all in and get the body you truly want.
OK.


If I want new, in the fancy Leica box and with fancy new camera registration digital M body for as low as possible price?
Which body I'll get?

"Very old camera for..." is not the argument with Leica. It is never been an argument.

M8 used costs more than "very old" new back then A7 and "very old" A7 mark something. Used "very old" M8 still close to the "who still needs it?" new Xpro2 and "already forgotten" new RF.

In 2016 I had choice which body to get for $3000, I was able to find original new M-E (due to exchange rate). It is 2019 and I'm happy every time I hold it in my hands. I had many cameras in my hands and I didn't have motion to own and use them. All of those X, Z, R and Whatelse are only new then they are reviewed by first time in DPR. But once they are in the stores, they are nothing but "yesterday". Just like any "new" hondyota.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2019   #77
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot
 
Ko.Fe.'s Avatar
 
Ko.Fe. is offline
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: MiltON.ONtario
Posts: 7,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
...

And for video I wouldn't shoot video with a rangefinder or a DSLR. They make REALLY good video cameras for video. I am glad they left it off the M 262 and M 10.
Sure, then I'm on event with mobile truck it is big and huge cameras. Huge once don't even record the video, they are sending it via fiber to recording device at 180 fps.
But it is not always like this with video.

I have seen local media taking interviews with mobile phone and microphones rig. I have seen interviews taken by big names and good connections companies with EOS FF DLSRs. For tens of millions audience.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2019   #78
benlees
Registered User
 
benlees is offline
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Age: 47
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Can't remember the last time I saw any Leica offering and the word 'Bargain' used in the same sentence!



If there is any truth to this (in Leica-speak) it lies somewhere between "discriminating taste" and "everything is relative"
__________________
flickr
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2019   #79
jja
Registered User
 
jja is offline
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post

The low light capabilities and the lack of any shutter lag in the M 10 are two reason I bought the M 10.
I have not noticed shutter lag on my MP240, and I've used it to shoot sports (it's my only digital camera). I don't feel like I've missed a shot due to shutter lag (many misses due to "shooter lag"). I'd be interested to hear more about this.

Regarding high ISO performance, I'm glad there is a noticeable improvement in the M10. There have been only a few instances where I've really wished for anything above 3200. Can ISO 6400 on the M240 be manipulated to provide satisfactory results?
__________________
My Flickr

My RFF Gallery
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2019   #80
ptpdprinter
Registered User
 
ptpdprinter is offline
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by jja View Post
Regarding high ISO performance, I'm glad there is a noticeable improvement in the M10. There have been only a few instances where I've really wished for anything above 3200. Can ISO 6400 on the M240 be manipulated to provide satisfactory results?
There is no indication that this is a new sensor. Since the run is limited to 750 units, it is probably just left over 2012 sensors. It's like buying NOS.
__________________
ambientlightcollection.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:06.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.