Midtone Machines film processor
Old 12-05-2019   #1
Larry Cloetta

Midtone Machines film processor

Not sure if this has been posted before, but here is a (another) potential new film processor. Out of New Zealand from an aerospace engineer who apparently recognizes the primacy of good midtones, always a good sign.

As always, the odds are stacked against anyone developing, manufacturing, and marketing a viable and superior processor in today’s market, but this project seems better thought out than the Filmomat, to me at least.

Only posting in case someone might find it interesting, as he doesn’t seem to have much exposure here.
There are internal links on the homepage which gives more information on the thinking behind the design.

One always hopes for the emergence of the better, and/or more affordable mousetrap.

http://midtonemachines.com/

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 12-05-2019   #2
CharlesDAMorgan

Intriguing! I love things like this.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism - all gone.

Old 12-05-2019   #3
davidnewtonguitars
Family Snaps

Thanks for finding this Larry.

This guy is serious! My best to him, and subscribing.

Old 12-07-2019   #4
Andrew Burns

Hey all I'm the 'creator' of Midtone Machines, got word that there was a thread here talking about it so I made an account. Thanks for the interest! If you have any questions I'm happy to answer them in the thread.

Currently designing two PCB's to act as an interface between the arduino controlling the whole thing and all of my motors, sensors etc. I was considering soldiering on with the mess of wiring I currently have but eventually decided to not waste time and go to the design solution I intend to end up with, it will take more time in the short term but I'll end up ahead in the long term.

Old 12-07-2019   #5
lynnb

Hi Andrew, great to see this project. Hope all goes as smoothly!
Regards,
Flickr

Old 12-08-2019   #6
Andrew Burns

New update on my website:
http://midtonemachines.com/news/pcb-design/

Nearly finished with the custom PCB design I'm going to use to replace the current rats-nest of wires and bring the machine closer to the final production version.

Old 12-08-2019   #7
Larry Cloetta

Thanks for the update, seems to be moving right along.

Keep up the good work.

“It is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.” Elliot Erwitt

Old 12-08-2019   #8
shawn

Looks great. Just a thought, on your breakout board make sure you have it on standoffs or some other way of raising it up. Don’t want an accidental leak submerging it.

Shawn

Old 12-08-2019   #9
Andrew Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Looks great. Just a thought, on your breakout board make sure you have it on standoffs or some other way of raising it up. Don’t want an accidental leak submerging it.

Shawn
Yep it's going to be on standoffs, you're right I've thought about the possibility of leaks and so I'll be making sure that everything electronic that isn't fully sealed is well above the base plate. I might also look at some kind of splash cover for it in case there's a spraying leak (although I think that's less likely, the pipework will hardly deal with any pressure).

Old 9 Hours Ago   #10
Andrew Burns

New blog post is up, PCBs are finished and working fine, also put together a quick laser-cut MDF body shell for prototyping that IMO looks pretty good.

http://midtonemachines.com/news/fini...nd-dummy-body/

Old 6 Hours Ago   #11
Larry Cloetta

Thanks for the update.