Leica M5 Serial 135xxxx
Old 11-27-2019   #1
taffy

Leica M5 Serial 135xxxx

Hi M5 owners

There is a fairly clean and working copy of a 2 lug M5 being sold to me with the serial above. I'd like to ask the group:

1. Is there anything I should be worried about with an M5 with this serial number range that's less evident on later production M5s?

2. Apart from shutter speed and meter function, should I be looking at other things particular with an M5 w this serial? Any test you recommend?

Thanks!

Old 11-27-2019   #2
Erik van Straten

The most important is the rangefinder spot. If you see any irregularities in the kit faces don't buy the camera.

Erik.

Old 11-27-2019   #3
ccstearns

Hi Taffy,
I've done a ton of research here, I have a 136 and 134. Here is what I've learned from Don/DAG.

1) The major shutter related issues are fully under 130x. In the Leica production period they corrected the issue and repaired the existing 128-9 units.

2) Erik is correct. I currently have my 134 getting a replacement frame set as the RF and frames were on their way to total failure. It appears parts here are really limited too, I think I'm getting lucky with another M5 set and not a M4 set....not that it matters more then resale. If it looks squiggly....drippy in there, reconsider.

3) I'd add to look in the battery compartment too. If it's corroded I'd reconsider it.

4) factor in a CLA to whatever this costs. 200 to 400. I prefer the M5 more than any M but the mechanics are complex and if you want to treat it like a MP or an F6 Sherry and Don need to get inside there and do their magic....just to be sure.

Good luck though, either way. If you get bit by the M5 bug it's hard to deal with. I sold a M3, M4, Yashica T4 and Oly XA to support my M5 habit!

Old 11-27-2019   #4
taffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstearns View Post
Hi Taffy,
I've done a ton of research here, I have a 136 and 134. Here is what I've learned from Don/DAG.

1) The major shutter related issues are fully under 130x. In the Leica production period they corrected the issue and repaired the existing 128-9 units.

2) Erik is correct. I currently have my 134 getting a replacement frame set as the RF and frames were on their way to total failure. It appears parts here are really limited too, I think I'm getting lucky with another M5 set and not a M4 set....not that it matters more then resale. If it looks squiggly....drippy in there, reconsider.

3) I'd add to look in the battery compartment too. If it's corroded I'd reconsider it.

4) factor in a CLA to whatever this costs. 200 to 400. I prefer the M5 more than any M but the mechanics are complex and if you want to treat it like a MP or an F6 Sherry and Don need to get inside there and do their magic....just to be sure.

Good luck though, either way. If you get bit by the M5 bug it's hard to deal with. I sold a M3, M4, Yashica T4 and Oly XA to support my M5 habit!
Hi Erik and ccstearns

Thanks for your messages / advice. I found this on CameraQuest (thanks, Stephen). Is this what you're referring to about the RF patch?

Thanks!

Taffy

Old 11-27-2019   #5
ccstearns

Yep, that is it but in my personal experience it's like a broken bone, you dont wonder about it being broken, you know it is. My RF that exhibited separation was at best always noticeable and at worst made it impossible to critically focus.

And to underscore this, it's the warning of total RF failure. So, this is a mid-stream issue, not the end that one can live with. Hence the parts issue being kinda scary. I had my 136 done by Sherry and we had a very business exchange but Don (who now has my 134) has entertained my Q's.

It seems like M5 frame sets are not really available but replacing with M4, M4-2 is possible. The major difference is that the M5 has marks indicating the Spot coverage area and the M4's wont. NBD as a user but could reduce a re-sale price.

Old 11-28-2019   #6
taffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccstearns View Post
Yep, that is it but in my personal experience it's like a broken bone, you dont wonder about it being broken, you know it is. My RF that exhibited separation was at best always noticeable and at worst made it impossible to critically focus.

And to underscore this, it's the warning of total RF failure. So, this is a mid-stream issue, not the end that one can live with. Hence the parts issue being kinda scary. I had my 136 done by Sherry and we had a very business exchange but Don (who now has my 134) has entertained my Q's.

It seems like M5 frame sets are not really available but replacing with M4, M4-2 is possible. The major difference is that the M5 has marks indicating the Spot coverage area and the M4's wont. NBD as a user but could reduce a re-sale price.
Thanks a lot for the wisdom here. I really like the idea of the M5's design and I don't mind the size vs the other M's. I shoot an M8 so this will even be smaller. If it doesn't pass the tests you mentioned, maybe i'll go for an M2 instead