Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Being a Photographer > Photogs / Photo Exhibits

Photogs / Photo Exhibits This is the place to discuss a particular Photographer (work, style, life, whatever), as well as to post Gallery and Museum Photo Exhibitions and your own impressions of them. As we march on in this new digital world, it is often too easy to forget about the visual importance of the photographic print, as well as their financial importance to the photographer. It is also interesting to remember that some guy named Gene Smith shot with lenses that many lens test reading "never had a picture published in their life" amateurs would turn up their their noses at, as being "unacceptable."

David Bailey and smartphones...
Old 11-23-2019   #1
helenhill
Mod Chasing Shadows Light

David Bailey and smartphones...

I suppose there is some Truth ...
But my iPhone photos never really do it for me, I’m better with a camera, lol

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...id-Bailey.html

Old 11-23-2019   #2
Austintatious

I think I agree with Mr. Bailey on this topic. And they are also hurting the likes of Nikon, Canon, Olympus and the other camera makers, not just photographers.

RF's : Bessa-R ,FED II, Olympus 35RC , Kiev 4AM,Argus C-3
Other :Minolta XD-11, Minolta SRT102, Pentax Spotmatic ,Nikon N80, Yashica-Mat 124G, Rolleicord Va
Digital :Nikon D7100, Sony NEX 6, Panasonic LX-5

Old 11-23-2019   #3
raid
Dad Photographer

Smartphone cameras are amazing cameras. I love using my phone side by side with my Leica cameras.

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-23-2019   #4
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Helen, you are touching something related to photography! RFF rules!

When again current party ruling Canada (without my vote )" paid for photos with pro cameras coverage of meaningless get together, it was public outrage. "Why, if phone selfies will to the same". I'm fully agree with it. Many non art photos are for the phone and must be zero cost for tax paiers.

The Magnum photog who choose to have name as Pinkhassov, did well on insta with the phone. So, is Dmitry Markov who is way better than old stock Pinkhassov, IMO. https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ne-photographs

Yet, I have tried same phones for the street. I simply can't stand it. Yes, I'm the looser. But I'm not sure if I miss anything with P and DM photos. They are good and well deserving recognition, yet, show me decent photog with film M on Flickr and I will follow. Why? I still put on top HCB, GW and others. It is vision, culture and film. You can't get it with the phone.

I was grown for visual arts in Pushkin's Museum in Moscow. In the Impressionist hall.
No phone is close to it. HCB and others are.

My apologizes for ESL.

Old 11-23-2019   #5
CharlesDAMorgan

I can safely say no pro photographer's livelihood is threatened by any photo I take, smartphone or no. But I do know a serious pro (one of the few making a very good living) who uses his all the time when not on the job as it is the ultimate compact camera and the results now are very good.

On the other hand I hate the damned things, always interrupting you with texts, calls, notifications and needing chargers and other damned nonsense. How something that can go off at any time least of your choosing is a good thing for photography is a mystery to me. I leave mine at home now unless I absolutely have to.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism - all gone.

Old 11-24-2019   #6
robert blu
quiet photographer

Interesting read, thanks Helen for the link. Always good to know what experienced people think.

It's not the tool but the way it is used.

I still see differences when mobile phones are used by who has a knowledge of photography (both from visual and technical point of view) and other more occasional users.
Of course this is a generalisation which is not always applicable.

my quiet photographer's blog

My RFF photos and my albums on RFF

Old 11-24-2019   #7
jsrockit

Can a cellphones be used to make amazing photos? Of course. Can a brownie be used as well? Yes. Do I need more celebrity photos? No.

Old 11-24-2019   #8
jsrockit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
So, is Dmitry Markov who is way better than old stock Pinkhassov, IMO. https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...ne-photographs
Thank you for posting this...

Old 11-24-2019   #9
Timmyjoe

Always loved David Bailey's B&W work. Brings one back to an era, unfortunately now gone.

Thanks for the link Helen.

Best,
-Tim

Old 11-24-2019   #10
Guy Pinhas

Amen brother, amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Can a cellphones be used to make amazing photos? Of course. Can a brownie be used as well? Yes. Do I need more celebrity photos? No.
Personally I find a lot of enjoyment in the process of developing etc so that, to me, is an integral part. Also understanding light has been a real big thing for me and I love that. Still don't really understand but my eyes are open. Pun intended
Furthermore, there is a similar and ongoing conversation in the music world. Analog vs digital. Drum machines vs actual drums. Ultimately there is a human element and I think as long as that exists, well, we're good to go.

Old 11-24-2019   #11
helenhill

Pleased you responded... Austintatious, Raid, Ko, Charles, , Robert, John,Tim, Guy

Thank Koysta for your Guardian link...
Great set of his work, fell in LoVE with his way of seeing, YUM!

Old 11-24-2019   #12
Huss

Here’s where I disagree. It’s not the medium that determines the photograph but the subject matter and composition. That has nothing to do with smartphones, Sony A9s etc.

Old 11-24-2019   #13
helenhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Here’s where I disagree. It’s not the medium that determines the photograph but the subject matter and composition. That has nothing to do with smartphones, Sony A9s etc.
AGREED... without worthwhile content, composition, emotional pull
it is pointless to even consider gear, medium used

Old 11-24-2019   #14
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
AGREED... without worthwhile content, composition, emotional pull
it is pointless to even consider gear, medium used
Exactly. Using the latest smartphone is not going to magically provide that.
All these things are just tools.

Old 11-24-2019   #15
Dogman

Unfortunately Daily Mail has an Ad Blocker detector and will not allow me to access the site when I use it. But when I turn Ad Blocker off for the site, ads pop up all over the story, blocking the pages and preventing me from reading. I've tried reporting this to the site but they don't seem to care.

Too bad. I used to scan this site several times a week but now it's impossible.

Old 11-24-2019   #16
helenhill

Dang, ‘dogman’ Sorry to hear

Just wondering, Which browser are you using ?

Old 11-24-2019   #17
CharlesDAMorgan

It's the same with me, I think it's UK specific. I put the adblock on originally because the Mail was appalling for video ads starting unprompted, now it's unusable.

Leica M2, Nikon D700, Bronica RF645, Leica CL, Summicron 40mm, Rolleicord Va, Hasselblad 500 CM Zeiss Planar, Leica 50mm Summicron V3, Hasselblad PME51 metered prism - all gone.

Old 11-24-2019   #18
emraphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Access and geometry. The rest is rather trivial

Old 11-24-2019   #19
Greg Maslak

I spent 30 years of my life talking on a phone, the last thing I ever want to do is take a picture with one. The damn thing could go ringing off at any time and spoil everything. Half kidding really; lately, I've been working to improve my phone photo skills. It's its own challenge and quite rewarding.

Thanks , Helen and Ko.Fe. for the links.

Old 11-25-2019   #20
Dogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenhill View Post
Dang, ‘dogman’ Sorry to hear

Just wondering, Which browser are you using ?
I'm using Chrome.

Old 11-25-2019   #21
Fjäll

Sure it's easier than it was in the 60s but no camera makes anyone a good photographer.

Old 11-26-2019   #22
Ricoh

My experience with an iPhone: it takes several seconds to become ready... thumb print security recognition, or passcode if it throws a paddy. Select camera app. frame then shoot, maybe doing the two finger juggle to (electronically) zoom... Ok for static scenes but not for dynamic fast moving opportunities, eg street. So camera wins, especially one that's always ready, eg the film rangefinder at f8 using zone. (As Winogrand said, there aren't any pic opportunities when changing film, or something like.)

Old 11-26-2019   #23
RichC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
My experience with an iPhone: it takes several seconds to become ready... thumb print security recognition, or passcode if it throws a paddy. Select camera app.
Umm... you're doing it wrong! Simply swipe up on the unlock screen, then touch the camera icon. If the screen's off, press the power button first to show the unlock screen. All done - fast - and no messing around with unlocking and looking for the camera icon. Some smartphones are even quicker: I just double tap the screen on mine (which shoots in raw as well JPG format).

Or use Siri to tell your camera to start! That's fast too.

-=Rich=-

Portfolio: www.richcutler.co.uk

Old 11-26-2019   #24
Ste_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
Umm... you're doing it wrong! Simply swipe up on the unlock screen, then touch the camera icon. If the screen's off, press the power button first to show the unlock screen. All done - fast - and no messing around with unlocking and looking for the camera icon. Some smartphones are even quicker: I just double tap the screen on mine (which shoots in raw as well JPG format).

Or use Siri to tell your camera to start! That's fast too.
You don’t even have to do that on iPhone. Just swipe left on the unlock screen to open the camera app.

If you’re using the iPhone XR or 11 with their amazing battery life you can walk around with screen on and photo app open if you’re doing something like street photography

Old 11-26-2019   #25
jsrockit

[/font]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste_S View Post
You don’t even have to do that on iPhone. Just swipe left on the unlock screen to open the camera app.

If you’re using the iPhone XR or 11 with their amazing battery life you can walk around with screen on and photo app open if you’re doing something like street photography
In all fairness, this is only for the native iPhone app. Many of us prefer a different app. But your second point is true.

Old 11-26-2019   #26
Prest_400
Multiformat

I'm in the phone camp. I just come from the "stripping gear" thread and this discussion reminds me that the phone is the perfect (to me) snapshooting device. Quick and decent quality.
I probably will notice quite a change when my iPhone 6 gives way and replaced by a new generation phone. The multi lensed and larger sensored phone cameras seem quite promising and with computational photography many interesting challenges will be overcome (low light).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austintatious View Post
I think I agree with Mr. Bailey on this topic. And they are also hurting the likes of Nikon, Canon, Olympus and the other camera makers, not just photographers.
I've been around m43 forums and read the rumors of Olympus exiting the business. It amusingly reminds me of the era of the "digital revolution" and film discontinuance doom and gloom

At the end of the day it's about tools

Old 11-26-2019   #27
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
Unfortunately Daily Mail has an Ad Blocker detector and will not allow me to access the site when I use it..

Same here. It's a garbage newspaper so normally wouldn't care but this would have been interesting to read.

Old 11-26-2019   #28
raid
Dad Photographer

I am allowed to see on my monitor garbage newspapers!
Smartphones have put photographers out of business says legendary 81-year-old snapper to the stars David Bailey who captured iconic images of The Beatles, Mick Jagger and Twiggy
Photographer David Bailey, 81, found fame after working for Vogue in the Sixties
The snapper said his 'wife takes much better pictures than I do on her Instagram'
Speaking in London, he said the 'star photographer thing' is over since phone era
By BRYONY JEWELL FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 10:32 EST, 23 November 2019 | UPDATED: 15:53 EST, 23 November 2019

I have posted the link at linkedin. Try using it there. https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update...4593547739136/

http://raid.smugmug.com/

Old 11-26-2019   #29
kshapero
Curtains

For me it's not really what camera i use, but it's for me what I capture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos

Old 11-26-2019   #30
olifaunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
I am allowed to see on my monitor garbage newspapers!
Smartphones have put photographers out of business says legendary 81-year-old snapper to the stars David Bailey who captured iconic images of The Beatles, Mick Jagger and Twiggy
Photographer David Bailey, 81, found fame after working for Vogue in the Sixties
The snapper said his 'wife takes much better pictures than I do on her Instagram'
Speaking in London, he said the 'star photographer thing' is over since phone era
By BRYONY JEWELL FOR MAILONLINE
That's just the kind of garbage I would expect to see i that paper ;P