Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Canonet QL17 G-iii Shutter locking/release Issue - solved
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
doc_akh

Smile Canonet QL17 G-iii Shutter locking/release Issue - solved

Hello everyone,

I spent the past two weeks fixing a broken QL-17 g-iii. I started as a semi-newbie only having fixed a QL-17 (45mm 1.7). My camera had a specific issue where the shutter would not lock when advancing. It would work for a few shots and then begin slipping, advancing the film to the end. Surprisingly, there was not much information on this repair. There was an old sketch circulating the web about this camera regarding ďif wind lever fails to lock when the shutter is cocked.Ē That did not work for me, I ended up tearing the leatherette and ordered a new one (navy blue) to replace it. The solution to that problem is well established and itís a generally easy fix once you get over the pain of having to tear into your camera.

If you have this issue, I have finally found myself the solution. Of course if your shutter is sticky it would be wise to make sure that is completely cleaned. Thereís information on that as well, but I have taken pictures of the process so if you need more information I can help you open up the lens to get to the shutter.

So no need to open the leatherette first. All you have to do is open the bottom. Make sure to use the right screwdriver. Once you get inside make sure to carefully clean a bit. Page 3-4 of the canonet QL17 giii repair manual can show you all the various pieces and functions (19-0563 to 19-0567 being the main pieces involved in the locking/release).The part 19-0564 youíll find if you wind the shutter and hold it at the end, and push this part to the left - will lock the shutter. Then you can take a photo and it will work.

Anyway, the way I solved the issue is I used an appropriate lube on the coil you can see in the photo below. A very very small amount. And rubbed it with a q-tip, taking off any excess and worked it in. It worked immediately. I
Realized that this camera is so old, itís basically running dry, as such yours might also simply need to be oiled again.

D5F2745B-E9ED-41A4-A427-B9CFA98D6B9C.png

Iím posting this to share this, again as a relative newbie to camera repair. This information was simply not available online after going through all these ancient forums. I hope it helps!

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
wwfloyd

Congrats on your success. I appreciate the post... may well need it one day.