Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Classic Film RangeFinders & Other Classics > FSU Former Soviet Union RF

FSU Former Soviet Union RF This forum is for the Former Soviet Union rangefinder cameras, especially the many and various Fed, Zorki, and Kiev.

Damaged coating on Jupiter 8 2/50
Old 1 Week Ago   #1
ratm22

Damaged coating on Jupiter 8 2/50

I got into possession Jupiter 8 2/50, performed service and cleaning of whole lens and noticed scratches and big holes in coating in rear lens. I'm fairly new to analog photography so my question is:
are those scratches gonna make marks on photos? Is it something noticeable only in heavy light conditions?

Picture attached
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190515_200324.jpg (16.3 KB, 29 views)

Old 1 Week Ago   #2
xayraa33
rangefinder user and fancier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm22 View Post
I got into possession Jupiter 8 2/50, performed service and cleaning of whole lens and noticed scratches and big holes in coating in rear lens. I'm fairly new to analog photography so my question is:
are those scratches gonna make marks on photos? Is it something noticeable only in heavy light conditions?

Picture attached
I doubt you would see any faults in the photos taken by that lens because of those lens coating scratches .

Old 1 Week Ago   #3
maddoc
... likes film.

You need to test your sample under critical light situations as for example with the sun just outside of the frame. Any defect of the lens will show up on either film or a sensor. But every lens damage is individual so you need to decide by yourself if you can tolerate the effects of the damages of your copy of the lens and continue to use the lens.

flickr
pBase

Old 1 Week Ago   #4
BernardL

Some coating defects are much more apparent in reflection (i.e. looking at the lens) than in transmission (the lens doing its regular job).

Suppose the pristine coating has 0.5% reflection, and a spot has 2% reflection: 4x brighter than surroundings. In transmission that is 99.5% transmission versus 98%; not worth mentioning.

Old 1 Week Ago   #5
pvita

I concur with others that you won't notice it in photos. A bit damage in the coating would add to reflections, but you won't objectively see it.

As an illustration, how little effect stuff in the lens has on the resulting picture, there was a great blog posting Removing a Fly from ‘Weather Sealed’ Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II. Just in case should you develop dust obsession not to speak about dirt or bubbles directly in the glass.