Review: Leica M-A (Typ 127)
Old 05-01-2015   #1
jip

Arrow Review: Leica M-A (Typ 127)

Hey guys I wrote a review on the Leica M-A (Typ 127)

You can read it here:

http://jipvankuijk.nl/leica-m-a-typ-127/

Thanks!

Old 05-01-2015   #2
Bill Clark

Thanks for the link.

Very well balanced and good review!

Old 05-01-2015   #3
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip View Post
Hey guys I wrote a review on the Leica M-A (Typ 127)

You can read it here:

http://jipvankuijk.nl/leica-m-a-typ-127/

Thanks!
Nicely written ... a quiet op-ed piece that treats the subject well. And nice photographs too. Well done!

Thanks for posting the link!

G

Old 05-01-2015   #4
Pioneer

Well done. Thanks for posting.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 05-01-2015   #5
MikeChong
oldskhool

Nice review, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the M-A.

Old 05-01-2015   #6
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Can't read it, I was lost in huge pictures.

Old 05-01-2015   #7
jcrutcher

thank you!!!!

http://www.rbcphotographs.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rootbeer2004/

Old 05-01-2015   #8
maddoc
... likes film.

"The shutter speed dial on top of the camera has 1 stop indents, but intermediate speeds can be selected too since the mechanical timer is step less."

So Leica introduced a step-less (intermediate) shutter-speed feature in the M-A again? That would be very interesting!

flickr
pBase

Old 05-01-2015   #9
Pioneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
"The shutter speed dial on top of the camera has 1 stop indents, but intermediate speeds can be selected too since the mechanical timer is step less."

So Leica introduced a step-less (intermediate) shutter-speed feature in the M-A again? That would be very interesting!
I do not believe this is factual.

According to my manual the M-A shutter is not step-less. The shutter speed dial notches indicate specific shutter speeds that can be selected but intermediate speeds cannot be selected.

It is possible something has changed since I purchased mine but I am not aware of it.

Additionally my M-A does not have a mechanical timer. The writer may be referring to some internal timer that I am not privy to.

It is almost as good as a fast horse!
Dan

Old 05-05-2015   #10
jip

Apparently the shutter speed dial on M mechanical M camera's has indents to make it easy to select the shutter speeds, but it is actually step less. With mechanical timer I meant the fact that it 'knows' it's shutter speeds mechanically, and not electronically. I was not talking about a 'self timer'.

Old 05-05-2015   #11
jip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Can't read it, I was lost in huge pictures.
Was that a good or a bad thing? On what device did you visit my website if I may ask?

Old 05-05-2015   #12
Erik van Straten

What annoys me is that this is clearly a commercial publication from the Dutch Leica representative, Transcontinenta. On RFf there is room for advertisement by sponsors, but I dont like to see this in the forums.

Erik.

Old 05-05-2015   #13
Vobluda

Fully agreeing with Erik.
The article is so poor with at least one inconsistency proving it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
What annoys me is that this is clearly a commercial publication from the Dutch Leica representative, Transcontinenta. On RFf there is room for advertisement by sponsors, but I dont like to see this in the forums.

Erik.

Old 05-05-2015   #14
Bill Clark

Erik,

Just curious,

Could you please post a link that confirms your statement. Thanks, as this is his Linkedin information:

http://translate.google.com/translat...07&prev=search

Old 05-05-2015   #15
Erik van Straten

Bill, in the end you read this:

I would like to thank Rob van Keulen and the rest at Transcontinenta for lending me the Leica M-A (Typ 127) and making this review possible.

Just click "Transcontinenta".

Erik.

Old 05-05-2015   #16
Bill Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik van Straten View Post
Hummmm,

I thought he used a Leica M-A from these folks.

Gosh, if I wanted to review the camera I would go to a distributor to borrow one to use rather than shell out a fair chunk of moola, buy the camera just so I could write a review. I would give credit to the outfit letting me use the camera. What's wrong with that? It doesn't say a Leica rep. wrote his article.

I thought it is an informative article to help us, since this is a rangefinder forum.

Whatever.

Old 05-05-2015   #17
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clark View Post

I thought it is an informative article to help us, since this is a rangefinder forum.
To me it is clear that it is a commercial production, but that is strictly my opinion. I have nothing against commercial productions, but then be honest about it.

Erik.

Old 05-05-2015   #18
Dez
Bodger Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
I do not believe this is factual.

According to my manual the M-A shutter is not step-less. The shutter speed dial notches indicate specific shutter speeds that can be selected but intermediate speeds cannot be selected.

It is possible something has changed since I purchased mine but I am not aware of it.
I seem to recall that the old mechanical M-Leicas all had stepless shutter speeds except for the speeds right around the X sync position, and that was probably just stated that way as some sync switching happens there. the dials do have distinct detents at the engraved speeds. I would expect the new mechanical model would be the same.

Cheers,
Dez

Old 05-05-2015   #19
ottluuk
the indecisive eternity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
I seem to recall that the old mechanical M-Leicas all had stepless shutter speeds except for the speeds right around the X sync position, and that was probably just stated that way as some sync switching happens there. the dials do have distinct detents at the engraved speeds. I would expect the new mechanical model would be the same.

Cheers,
Dez
From the M4-P manual: "The shutter speed dial controls the shutter speed and can be set either before or after the shutter is wound. lt clicks home at every engraved speed value and except for the range between 8 and 15 any intermediate speeds can be set and are fully effective."

I guess something in the slow speed escapement needs to be either here or there. Other than that, the shutter should be stepless. But the setting is not guaranteed to be linear meaning that if you set the knob exactly halfway between the clicks, you may not get exactly half a stop difference in exposure. Reportedly, M5 is the only M that does this reliably.

For most negative films and especially C41 all of this really doesn't matter much. Use full stops, err on the side of overexposure when in doubt... and everything will be OK.

------------------------------
GRD III | 40D | M4 | 3,5C

Tumblr.

Old 05-07-2015   #20
jip

I am in no way a Leica representative, and have just been honest in my article. Transcontinenta borrowed me the camera when I asked them if I could borrow it.

I really don't see why anyone thinks its a commercial product of some sort, since I also clearly state that I wouldn't know if it is worth the money compared to a M4 for example...

Me myself I shoot with the digital Leica M (Typ 240) and an M6 / R8 for film... I wouldn't see myself spend this big of a amount of money on the M-A... but then again I do honestly think it is worth the money if you can afford it. Because you keep the company alive that makes cameras that last over a lifetime. And just because the viewfinder is simply better than the previous M's (the ones before the MP and later M7's)

Old 05-07-2015   #21
jip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bojic View Post
I only noticed the photos of people's backs. Didn't make me want to read anything and I promptly left the page. This is what "people's backs photography" do to me.

This is my honest feedback.
In my article where I write about 'how to photograph strangers' I state that as well, try not to only shoot peoples backs... I did find it kind of fitting in the current series of photos, and I only had a short time with the Leica M-A.

But I agree with you that I usually don't like peoples backs photos either.

Old 05-07-2015   #22
Erik van Straten

Quote:
Originally Posted by jip View Post
I really don't see why anyone thinks its a commercial product of some sort, since I also clearly state that I wouldn't know if it is worth the money compared to a M4 for example...

... but then again I do honestly think it is worth the money if you can afford it. Because you keep the company alive that makes cameras that last over a lifetime. And just because the viewfinder is simply better than the previous M's (the ones before the MP and later M7's)
OK, understood.

Erik.

Old 05-07-2015   #23
Emile de Leon

You guys are a tough crowd to please...hahah!