Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Gearhead Delights > Repair / Camera Care

Repair / Camera Care This is a good place to discuss the care and repair of your photo gear. You can share Do-It-Yourself repair and maintenance, as well as your recommendations for pro repairs. This new forum was created 4/1/07. PLEASE title your thread wisely, so others searching for a certain make of camera or repair person can find your thread easily!

Canon P mid roll jamming issue
Old 06-23-2019   #1
kriskirk

Canon P mid roll jamming issue

Been using my canon P while another camera is getting repaired and all of a sudden, the camera stops advancing film around frame 24. It happened once and i was luckily able to rewind but i put another roll in to see if it would repeat and it is doing the exact same thing. Ironic enough, the camera thats getting repaired is having the same issue.

has anyone experienced this on a canon p range finder, and if so, is it repairable at home or does anyone have any links regarding this

thanks!

Old 06-23-2019   #2
Huss

Gotta ask the really obvious question.... are you using 36exp rolls?

Old 06-24-2019   #3
kriskirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Gotta ask the really obvious question.... are you using 36exp rolls?
I am, Kodak tri-x 36 Exposure. I'm wondering if it is worth to get it CLA'd or just look for a new one since they are reasonably priced

Old 06-24-2019   #4
B-9
Devin Bro

@Huss

Wouldn’t that be obvious.

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 06-24-2019   #5
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
@Huss

Wouldn’t that be obvious.
There’s a person on photrio w a similar issue and we did not hear back once that q was asked...

If it was me I would way prefer I did that than have an issue w my kamera!

Old 06-24-2019   #6
Fjäll

I recently had the same issue with my Canonet. Although a completely different camera the issue might be similar.

The problem I had was the film wasn't tight enough around the take up spool. It would advance the film but at around 20 exposures the film would get too wide to move inside the chamber.

I tried to pull out a bit of film from a canister and roll it up tight enough for it to curl. When advancing the film carefully I would put some resistance on the rewind lever for the film to properly tighten around the spool inside the camera when advancing the film. I'm not sure whats not working properly yet as this is a recent issue but this works for now.

Old 06-24-2019   #7
kriskirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjäll View Post
I recently had the same issue with my Canonet. Although a completely different camera the issue might be similar.

The problem I had was the film wasn't tight enough around the take up spool. It would advance the film but at around 20 exposures the film would get too wide to move inside the chamber.

I tried to pull out a bit of film from a canister and roll it up tight enough for it to curl. When advancing the film carefully I would put some resistance on the rewind lever for the film to properly tighten around the spool inside the camera when advancing the film. I'm not sure whats not working properly yet as this is a recent issue but this works for now.

This is good recommendation. i will have to try this with an old exposed 36 exp roll. I've never had this problem but it can very well be it. thanks for the great suggestion!