Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica M Film Cameras

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes

What's going on with used prices?
Old 07-23-2019   #1
sanmich
Registered User
 
sanmich's Avatar
 
sanmich is offline
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,358
What's going on with used prices?

I think the prices for most used Leica M bodies have seen a steep jump in the last year.
This is while I don't see much change for MP/M7 prices.
M6 classic are now sold between 1500 and 2000 USD.
Clean M2/3/4 above 1k$
Anything to explain this?
__________________
Michael

Gloire a qui n'ayant pas d'ideal sacro-saint se borne a ne pas trop emmerder ses voisins (Brassens)

My site
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #2
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,871
I think they are becoming more rare. Especially in great condition.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #3
Ted Striker
Registered User
 
Ted Striker's Avatar
 
Ted Striker is offline
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 717
Supply and demand.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #4
markrich
Enthusiatic amatuer
 
markrich's Avatar
 
markrich is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bristol, UK, European Union
Posts: 172
Fair amount of greed but also not many coming around for sale.
Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it and currently, people are accepting the high prices.
I had this discussion with a local camera shop this past weekend when an M6 arrived as trade it. £1500-1700 was the intended resale price but a year ago it was £1000-£1500.

The market will only accept so much price increase before they start falling again so I'm holding out a little longer. There were plenty of M6 cameras made. They're all out there somewhere. :-)
__________________

____________
Canon EOS30, Contax G2, Zorki 4, Zorki 4K, Bessa R2a, Lomo LC-A, Olympus XZ-1, Olympus OM2-SP, Olympus E-510, Sony RX100, Fujifilm X-Pro 1 and X-Pro 2
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #5
Larry Cloetta
Registered User
 
Larry Cloetta is offline
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Jackson, WY
Age: 69
Posts: 1,477
Scarlett Johansson wore one throughout the last King Kong movie and it’s the Scarlett Johansson effect.
__________________
Larry

ďIt is about time we take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.Ē Elliot Erwitt
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #6
Ionex56
Registered User
 
Ionex56 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ+NY
Posts: 23
More and more younger individuals, usually ages 20-30, are trying out film. Sometimes due to nostalgia, other times to try something new. Modern technology has made cameras so advanced it doesn't take much thinking to use them. There is little satisfaction with being able to continuously eye-AF at f/1.4, though in a professional setting it gets the job done quick and better.

Couple that with celebrity and YouTube promotion for certain cameras generates unbelievable demand. Take the Contax T2 and T3, or the Yashica T series for example. I remember selling my mint Contax T2 many years back for $400 when the market price was around $200-300, thinking I got a good deal out of it. Nowadays, T2s go for twice that.

However, I believe Leica Ms speak for themselves. The build quality and smoothness of the Ms make it really hard to go back to SLRs. Others prefer being able to see outside your frame or not having a mirror slap. All this in addition to the resurgence of film in the younger generation has greatly increased demand. When demand increases and supply is stagnant or decreased, the commodity commands a higher price...
__________________
- Patrick C.

"No Reserves. No Retreats. No Regrets." -- William Borden
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #7
seagrove
Rich
 
seagrove is offline
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 249
I have seen the same thing with the plentiful Yashica Electro35 series on prices. Kind of amazing! Don't plan on selling mine because it was passed on to me by my dad. Still shoot with today!
__________________
Rich
http://meandmyx100s.blogspot.com
Yashica Electro35 GS, Fujifilm X100S (both silver & black bodies), TCL-X100, WCL-X100, sold everything else!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #8
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionex56 View Post
More and more younger individuals, usually ages 20-30, are trying out film. Sometimes due to nostalgia, other times to try something new. Modern technology has made cameras so advanced it doesn't take much thinking to use them. There is little satisfaction with being able to continuously eye-AF at f/1.4
And sometimes simply to be fashionable. I see many necklace cameras out there. Also, thinking about photos happens within the framing device most importantly... not by choosing your settings. Too many people think manual exposure is rocket science.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #9
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
I see many necklace cameras out there.
John,

I love this expression you coined. LOL.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #10
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,587
The film M cameras kept their value over time. I am not surprised.
I kept my film cameras and I did not sell them because I appreciate very much the craftmanship and beauty and usefulness of such cameras in photography.
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #11
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,978
Greed? Really?

One could in theory offer up an M6 for say $3,000 simply because of greed, but that doesn’t mean someone will accept the offer.

M6s have hovered around $1000-$1200 for the last decade for those in good condition, with TTL a bit higher. Prices are definitely up, as the supply up for sale is the same (or less) and the demand is higher. In any case the D/S ratio is higher.

What's amazing to me is how low the Hexar RF is, considering it's the only M body with 1/4000, and how high the Zeiss Ikon has gone.

Both situations are supply/demand, but if I were in the market I'd get a Hexar.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #12
jsrockit
Moderator
 
jsrockit's Avatar
 
jsrockit is offline
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Santiago, Chile
Age: 46
Posts: 19,871
Just for perspective, I bought a used M6 in 1991 for around $1000... and it was the current M at that time. Surely such a great camera with the Leica badge will sell for more as less are on the market and just due to simple inflation.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #13
kshapero
Press the Shutter
 
kshapero's Avatar
 
kshapero is offline
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida, USA
Age: 69
Posts: 9,804
Yes I noticed it too. That's why I get Nikon FE's. M7 goodness for a $100.
__________________
Akiva S.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero

Cameras, Lenses and Photos
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #14
Steve M.
Registered User
 
Steve M. is offline
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,382
I worked in market research for many years, and have been a member of eBait for a decade or two. I don't think the prices today mean too much. They go up, and they go down, and not always for a visible, rational reason.

It's just a short term event. eBait especially has a ton of unscrupulous, incompetent and unprofessional sellers now (buyers are even worse!!!) as good sellers like myself and others get fed up and drop out, only to be replaced by some sorry people. I read somewhere that if the auction site loses a member, they get replaced with 10X more new sellers.

Prices here are high, but they have always been high. One assumes that a camera bought here is sold by someone that understands cameras, has probably invested in having them tested, often CLA'd, and is described accurately.

It's just a time when people are trying to get the maximum amount of money from a sale. The Japanese collectors did that some time ago, only to drastically lower their prices later when things didn't move.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #15
Ionex56
Registered User
 
Ionex56 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ+NY
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Just for perspective, I bought a used M6 in 1991 for around $1000... and it was the current M at that time. Surely such a great camera with the Leica badge will sell for more as less are on the market and just due to simple inflation.
That is correct, inflation might be a bigger factor than most people think. Between 1991 and 2019 there was an average inflation rate of 2.28% per year. That $1000 M6 is $1,880.64 in today's dollars.

Obviously the price explosion in recent years isn't solely due to inflation, but the $800-900 mint M2/M3 you saw in 2010 can easily top $1k in 2019 after factoring inflation in.
__________________
- Patrick C.

"No Reserves. No Retreats. No Regrets." -- William Borden
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #16
aizan
Registered User
 
aizan's Avatar
 
aizan is offline
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Torrance, CA
Age: 37
Posts: 4,584
Is a price bubble really a bubble of it doesnít burst? Iím not so sure prices for film cameras will come down again. I think it will just level off at this new high.
__________________
Ugly Cameras
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #17
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionex56 View Post
That is correct, inflation might be a bigger factor than most people think. Between 1991 and 2019 there was an average inflation rate of 2.28% per year. That $1000 M6 is $1,880.64 in today's dollars.

Obviously the price explosion in recent years isn't solely due to inflation, but the $800-900 mint M2/M3 you saw in 2010 can easily top $1k in 2019 after factoring inflation in.
Patrick,

For me you gave a good example of how a "hard asset" works as a store of value.

It is said today that the U.S. dollar is overvalued, and some say that the U.S. stock indexes too are overvalued or inflated in price.

As far as a "commodity" a used M-body does seem to be a store of value.

BTW I think one of the best times to have bought Leica gear was around 2007-2008. This is when people were selling their treasures to raise cash during the "Credit Crunch." People who were flush with cash found great deals on the cleanest gear.

I speculate that the next downturn might be similar. Keep some ammo dry as they say.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #18
JP Owens
Registered User
 
JP Owens is offline
Join Date: Dec 2014
Age: 68
Posts: 358
And in the U.S., there is a wealth effect happening again. The stock market is soaring, so even those not in the stock market are feeling wealthy. Credit is easier to get, so folks are buying more houses and cars and...old film cameras. After you've put a 4K television in every room of your new house, you gotta find something else to buy!
__________________
_______

"Nothing exists beyond the edges of the frame."
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #19
raid
Dad Photographer
 
raid's Avatar
 
raid is offline
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 30,587
A Ferrari or Lamborghini?
__________________
- Raid

________________
Top 12 Images;

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/rffg...n.php?cid=7007

http://raid.smugmug.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #20
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by raid View Post
A Ferrari or Lamborghini?
Raid,

For some a Leica is a Ferrari or Lamborghini.

Read in John's post "camera necklace."

Also in November is film will be release "Ford Verses Ferrari." About Ford's challenge involving Carrol Shelby, development of the Ford F40, and the race 24 hours at Lemans. Matt Damon plays Carol Shelby.

I love the trailer for his film which has Carol Shelby (Matt Damon) ask if this Ford exec is ready when he does a zero to one hundred to zero while manuvering to terrorize a passenger in a suit who knows little of racing.

An earlier film was called the "Twenty-Four Hour War." The time periond was around the mid 60's.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #21
AAlfano
Registered User
 
AAlfano is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 122
I think the discontinuation of the M7 is also part of the reason for the inflation in prices of used M bodies. People are realizing that Leica is probably not going to make film cameras forever.
__________________
If you're not printing, you're just playing a video game about photography.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #22
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfano View Post
I think the discontinuation of the M7 is also part of the reason for the inflation in prices of used M bodies. People are realizing that Leica is probably not going to make film cameras forever.
A,

Your speculation is very valid I think.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #23
mpaniagua
Registered User
 
mpaniagua's Avatar
 
mpaniagua is offline
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Age: 46
Posts: 1,065
ummm reading this post prompted me to stop selling my Leica M stuff . Sold some of them to finance some medium format repairs and equipment.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #24
Emile de Leon
Registered User
 
Emile de Leon is offline
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 992
The Leica man cares not about such simple things as money..or market ups and downs..
He just buys anyway...lol..
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #25
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshapero View Post
Yes I noticed it too. That's why I get Nikon FE's. M7 goodness for a $100.
If you think an FE = M7, then a Leica RE > M7 for only $100 more.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #26
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Cloetta View Post
Scarlett Johansson wore one throughout the last King Kong movie and itís the Scarlett Johansson effect.
Except it was Brie Larson .
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #27
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post

What's amazing to me is how low the Hexar RF is, considering it's the only M body with 1/4000, and how high the Zeiss Ikon has gone.

Both situations are supply/demand, but if I were in the market I'd get a Hexar.
Thatís because the Konica has a terrible reputation for reliability. Hamish at 35mmc.com mentioned this before he bought one thinking it was just one of those things blown out of proportion. Then his too bricked.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #28
BillBlackwell
Registered User
 
BillBlackwell's Avatar
 
BillBlackwell is offline
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Orange County, CA
Age: 61
Posts: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanmich View Post
I think the prices for most used Leica M bodies have seen a steep jump in the last year.
This is while I don't see much change for MP/M7 prices.
M6 classic are now sold between 1500 and 2000 USD.
Clean M2/3/4 above 1k$
Anything to explain this?
1. Film usage is on the rise;
2. The comparative price of a new Leica film cameras.

M7 prices are also on the rise. Not that long ago I bought one for US$1,700. Today they run for as much as twice that!
__________________
Leica M-P 240
Leica CL
Various Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #29
JeffS7444
Registered User
 
JeffS7444 is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 177
I get the sense (not backed up by anything but my own observations) that genuine demand from a younger audience is driving higher prices of Leica M6, Contax G and premium compacts such as the Nikon 35ti. But other Leica models such as M2, M3, M4, M5, not so much.

M6 "classic" prices seem to be up about $300 right now, but too soon to know if that's just a short-term blip.

I wonder how much is being driven by environmental concerns: Finding one's hobbies in items which were manufactured decades ago is a form of recycling!
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #30
Dan Daniel
Registered User
 
Dan Daniel is offline
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Owens View Post
And in the U.S., there is a wealth effect happening again. The stock market is soaring, so even those not in the stock market are feeling wealthy. Credit is easier to get, so folks are buying more houses and cars and...old film cameras. After you've put a 4K television in every room of your new house, you gotta find something else to buy!

Just to be clear, and for those outside of the US, this is true for maybe the top 10% of the country. Most of the rest, this is either delusional dreams ("temporarily embarrassed millionaires") or simply has no relation to their lives. The economy continues to bifurcate at a rapid pace. I think even Veblen would be shocked.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #31
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS7444 View Post
I get the sense (not backed up by anything but my own observations) that genuine demand from a younger audience is driving higher prices of Leica M6, Contax G and premium compacts such as the Nikon 35ti. But other Leica models such as M2, M3, M4, M5, not so much.

M6 "classic" prices seem to be up about $300 right now, but too soon to know if that's just a short-term blip.

I wonder how much is being driven by environmental concerns: Finding one's hobbies in items which were manufactured decades ago is a form of recycling!
Jeff,

I find your observations as telling.

It kind of makes sense because the M6 has a built in meter, is newer, and has less of a "vintage premium."

If your observation is correct, that in fact it is a new younger generation alone that is responsible for this spike, maybe/perhaps all by themselves, then I can see why the M6 stands out from the pack as well as the other premium compact cameras.

Now we wait for these newbies to discover medium format to make our "killing." LOL. Kind of predictable.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #32
Calzone
Gear Whore #1
 
Calzone's Avatar
 
Calzone is offline
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hell Gate, Madhattan
Age: 61
Posts: 9,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
Just to be clear, and for those outside of the US, this is true for maybe the top 10% of the country. Most of the rest, this is either delusional dreams ("temporarily embarrassed millionaires") or simply has no relation to their lives. The economy continues to bifurcate at a rapid pace. I think even Veblen would be shocked.
Dan,

Your point is well taken.

About half the population in the U.S. by one report today owns no stock, so for about half the country there is no wealth effect.

While in the top 10% the incomes are high, depending on which city you live in, you might not be able to afford buying a home due to the costs of living.

Overall though I use the top 20% of incomes as a gauge of wealth, because household incomes at this level generally have more income than they need, can max out their 401K's and save, and have disposable income to buy luxury goods.

One Money Manager calls the top 20% "the Protected Class."

"A rising tide does not raise all ships," as they say.

Cal
__________________
"Vintage Hipster"
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #33
Ionex56
Registered User
 
Ionex56 is offline
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: NJ+NY
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAlfano View Post
I think the discontinuation of the M7 is also part of the reason for the inflation in prices of used M bodies. People are realizing that Leica is probably not going to make film cameras forever.
Older models will always be discontinued, digital or film, as repair parts run out.

They're still producing film Ms: the MP and MA, and I believe they will continue to do so. My guess is because Leica no longer has the capability to repair the M7, coupled with the fact that the M7 is electronic and will be more prone to failure over time, they made the decision to discontinue it. Same with their digital Ms, like what they are doing with the M240 right now.

With each discontinuation creates a price gap. A new MP or MA goes for nearly $5k with tax. Used market prices for the two fetches a hefty $3.5k+

When people are looking for used Ms, this is not the price some people are willing to pay (for a film M at least). Hence the reason to turn to the M2/M3/M4 etc., increasing demand. The rest is history
__________________
- Patrick C.

"No Reserves. No Retreats. No Regrets." -- William Borden
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #34
Huss
Registered User
 
Huss is online now
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 7,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionex56 View Post
They're still producing film Ms: the MP and MA, and I believe they will continue to do so. My guess is because Leica no longer has the capability to repair the M7, coupled with the fact that the M7 is electronic and will be more prone to failure over time, they made the decision to discontinue it.
I dont think itís that at all. The vast majority of people interested in film Ms want a fully mechanical kamera. The demand for new M7s dried up while everyone was buying MPs and MAs. They wanted a traditional Leica not something that needed batteries.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #35
filmtwit
Desperate but not serious
 
filmtwit's Avatar
 
filmtwit is offline
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 3,028
All the M-style camera's are up in value, because for the most part, no one is making them anymore (Ya, I know that leica technically still makes them, but at the price they want for them, you're always better off getting a used M these days).

You might also have noticed that Zeiss zm and Bessa bodies are up in value too. Why? because they are not being made anymore and that also effects the price of used M's.

Right?
__________________
Instgram
https://www.instagram.com/filmtwit/

The Flickr Stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/filmtwit/

The Blog (Boring Sidney, Boring)
http://jeffthomasallen.blogspot.com/
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #36
lawrence
Registered User
 
lawrence's Avatar
 
lawrence is offline
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: London, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitimageview View Post
Both situations are supply/demand, but if I were in the market I'd get a Hexar.
I think the problem with the Hexar is reliability, ZI is a relatively simple camera compared to the Hexar. I have owned the Hexar AF and tried a Hexar RF and both had faults whereas my ZI works flawlessly.

Edit: Reading later posts I see that I'm not the only one thinks this is the reason.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #37
AAlfano
Registered User
 
AAlfano is offline
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ionex56 View Post
Older models will always be discontinued, digital or film, as repair parts run out.

They're still producing film Ms: the MP and MA, and I believe they will continue to do so. My guess is because Leica no longer has the capability to repair the M7, coupled with the fact that the M7 is electronic and will be more prone to failure over time, they made the decision to discontinue it. Same with their digital Ms, like what they are doing with the M240 right now.

With each discontinuation creates a price gap. A new MP or MA goes for nearly $5k with tax. Used market prices for the two fetches a hefty $3.5k+

When people are looking for used Ms, this is not the price some people are willing to pay (for a film M at least). Hence the reason to turn to the M2/M3/M4 etc., increasing demand. The rest is history

I sincerely hope you are correct that Leica will continue to produce film Ms indefinitely. I suppose at ~$5,000 a pop, they can do so profitably at quite small volumes. I just get the feeling that production runs on the film models will become fewer and farther between as time goes by. Also, I believe the film models are still largely hand built. I wonder when the workers who build them are retiring. Will Leica hire and train new technicians to replace them? I sure hope so, but I suspect the bean counters will be analyzing those types of decisions very carefully at some point.
__________________
If you're not printing, you're just playing a video game about photography.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #38
splitimageview
Registered User
 
splitimageview is offline
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 1,978
I have owned about 5 or 6 Hexar RF, and a couple of the AF, over the past dozen years. They all worked great. Of course, everything can fail, and will eventually. But it's possible to buy two Hexar RF for one M6 nowadays; when the gap is that large, it's very reasonable to go with the Hexar.

I loved my Zeiss Ikon, but they are selling for similar dollars as the M6, but not as much as the M7.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #39
john_s
Registered User
 
john_s is offline
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 846
I prefer non electronic cameras. I could live with a meter failing, but there's so much equipment out there that is becoming very problematic to repair. I know because I have them. I got rid of my expensive Gaggenau wall oven (no parts left, even in Germany) and now have a lovely French stove with no electronics at all.
  Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2019   #40
PunkFunkDunk
Registered User
 
PunkFunkDunk's Avatar
 
PunkFunkDunk is offline
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 160
I almost weep at the memory of buying my first M in late 2016 from eBay. US$600 for a truly mint 1959 M2 from an old school photographer based in NYC. A year later, with the itch for a M6, I rationalised to myself that I could not justify two M bodies so flipped the M2. The highest bid was what I paid for it, actually a bit less after seller fees and miscalculation on shipping costs. I have scoured eBay in the past few months for a similarly mint copy (lever rewind with no self timer) and not only are they very hard to find, but asking prices start at US$1,500. Lesson learned: NEVER SELL AN M!
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:13.


vBulletin skin developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

All content on this site is Copyright Protected and owned by its respective owner. You may link to content on this site but you may not reproduce any of it in whole or part without written consent from its owner.