Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

Just tossing around thoughts. 35mm RF
Old 07-17-2019   #1
B-9
Devin Bro

Just tossing around thoughts. 35mm RF

Iím in the heart of a one cam one lens challenge. Itís been fun and Iíve seriously shot a TON of film already.

My kit is great. Canon EOS1 w/501.8. Itís a beast that gets the shot every time.

My troubles and doubts have come on traveling with my kit. I sold my car this spring and have solely been biking or walking. Itís saved me a fair bit of money and I like spending more time in my head during the slower commutes.

The problem is. The darn EOS wonít fit in my panniers very well. Itís always nose out and one of these times Iím gonna smash that 50/1.8 into dust after a few drinks and a oops.

So Iím thinking of going back to a RF with a Collapsible 50.

Darn... thought I was out!

Anyhow, anyone have thoughts on a cheaper/ish kit that includes a light meter (either built in or attachable).

I was thinking Canon P, clip on meter, 50/1.9

Alternatively.

Bessa R/R2 with a cheap I-10

Itís gonna get roughed up and Iím thinking it should mostly live on my bike in a waterproof stuff sack (inside one of the panniers)

Tell me Iím silly and to get over it.. I donít need another camera!

RangefinderGuy @ Instagram

Old 07-17-2019   #2
Calzone
Gear Whore #1

Consider a Screw mount.

I bought one just because its small and I like the old retro single coated glass for film.

Cal

Old 07-17-2019   #3
selahsean

The Canon P is a favorite but I don't think of it as particularly small. I'd think a Leica CL would do pretty well for something small?

Old 07-17-2019   #4
CharlesDAMorgan

Kodak Retina - beautiful small camera with lovely lens and cold shoe.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 07-17-2019   #5
retinax

There are smaller, cheap canon EOS bodies, right? That would hardly be cheating... and less worries about banging it around.

Old 07-17-2019   #6
Godfrey
somewhat colored

An EOS-1 and lens is a big heavy lump of a thing with a lot of shape to it.

I bicycle and walk far more than I drive my car these days. I've carried a bunch of different cameras when cycling ... the key is how to carry them comfortably. I don't shove them into bicycle panniers because I don't want road shock to damage them ... my body acts as a good shock absorber. I use a sling bag (Wotancraft Mini-Rider usually) that's fitted tightly so the camera sits on my back and doesn't move around as I ride. It's very comfortable too.

But the Canon is still a big heavy lump of a thing to carry. My Hasselblad 500CM with the 80mm lens on it is actually smaller and easier to carry than a big SLR like that, due to the simple boxy shape. The Fuji GS645S Wide 60 I bought recently is lighter and smaller, any of my Polaroid SX-70 cameras much smaller when folded, my Perkeo II smaller than that, and the Rollei 35 teeny. (I can put the little Rollei into my jersey's back pocket in a pinch, using a small padded case so it doesn't annoy me.) A Leica M or CL (film or digital on both) would do well too.

Good luck!

G

Old 07-17-2019   #7
B-9
Devin Bro

Thanks G!

Very true about the panniers. I tend to be “low and slow” as well as stuffing the camera tight with a extra layer for nightly commuting home. I tend to threw it around my neck when I need the layer on or let it roll around in my backpack if I have it with me.

It is surely a awkward mass to comfortably carry without a ton of padding to even out its shape.

Mostly just kicking the tire around.

Edit: Also staying away from anything Leica. I’m not going down that rabbit hole again.

Old 07-17-2019   #8
madNbad

Consider a Retina IIa. They're small enough to fit in a large pocket when folded, have a really good lens and can be had for not a lot of money. Fell off the Devin one camera one lens train, bought a M4.

Old 07-17-2019   #9
dourbalistar

I have a collapsible Canon Serenar 50/1.9. For its size, it's actually quite dense at 8.1 oz (230 g), but it does collapse down nicely. I have a handful of image samples on my flickr.

I never quite got on with it, but also haven't gotten around to selling it.

flickr

Old 07-17-2019   #10
B-9
Devin Bro

Mad! You devil you!

Are you channeling a voodoo RF energy all the way to me in Michigan!? Or what

Signal is loud and clear. Must.... refrain....

Got my Jobo tank worked out! I souped a roll in it last week. Nothing worth sharing just one of those rolls with cats and coffee....

Old 07-17-2019   #11
nickthetasmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-9 View Post
The problem is. The darn EOS won’t fit in my panniers very well. It’s always nose out and one of these times I’m gonna smash that 50/1.8 into dust after a few drinks and a oops.

So I’m thinking of going back to a RF with a Collapsible 50.
I'm a bit skeptical of how a rangefinder will go living in a pannier.... That kind of high-frequency vibration/shock seems like an almost guaranteed way to throw out the RF mechanism?

Instagram @other_strange_creatures

Old 07-17-2019   #12
Crazy Fedya

How about Rollei 35? Great lens, no rf alignment issues, very pocketable or pannierable.

Old 07-17-2019   #13
B-9
Devin Bro

Again true about the panniers with a RF. If it’s small enough to fit in the fanny then it can go there. I try not to ride with a backpack anymore (hence making the panniers) but I never really worry about the SLR other than it protruding. Maybe just a new bigger set of panniers and a camera cube will work... back to the sewing machine.

Old 07-17-2019   #14
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Canon P is bigger than regular M.
I-10 is very so-so lens. So-so on bw and who knows how bad it is on C-41.

Get EOS300 and 40 2.8 pancake. They sell rechargeable batteries for it now on eBay.

Old 07-17-2019   #15
Huss

Nikonos V
Cosina Cx2 w winder
Lomo LCA 120

Old 07-17-2019   #16
EarlJam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Fedya View Post
How about Rollei 35? Great lens, no rf alignment issues, very pocketable or pannierable.
Sam's on the right track here, I think. In addition to the Rollei 35, consider one of the many 60s/70s era compact RFs: Konica Auto S3 or C35; Olympus RD/RC; Minolta HiMatic 7; Canon QL17; etc. These cameras are all pretty durable and have superb lenses, primarily in the 40mm range. The primary decision is aperture: f1.7 or f2.8.

Old 07-17-2019   #17
CMur12

I wouldn't stow anything valuable in a pannier because it would be so vulnerable to damage in a fall.

Do you not have a bag or case on top of the rack? Unless something fell onto it from above (unlikely), it should be a safe place to stow whichever camera you decide to use.

- Murray

Old 07-17-2019   #18
Phil_F_NM
Camera hacker

Devin, send me a PM. I have too many cameras and a few might be options for you.
Phil Forrest

Old 07-17-2019   #19
Huss

Agfa Optima 1535. Superb tiny 35mm RF kamera.

Old 07-17-2019   #20
jsrockit

Voigtlander R and a cheap 50mm

Old 07-17-2019   #21
rob.nyc1

if you can deal with the scale focus, Rollei 35S is a phenomenal camera:

otherwise, an Olympus XA is cheap and takes great photos. aperture priority tho. wonderful pocket camera, wonderful bar camera as well (it has a tiny detachable flash)

Old 07-17-2019   #22
Livesteamer

Huss has a good idea with the Nikonos. I just got back from a week at the beach and mostly used my Nikonos III. An odd little brick but the 35mm f2.5 is a fine lens and they are tough. Long ago Roger Hicks wrote how he once fell off his motorcycle, landing on top of his Nikonos III scarring it up but it still worked! It coninued to work untill it fell off a boat and was lost. A Nikonos III can be found for $100 or less. The Nikonos V is a more sophisticated camera and will cost more but is highly regarded. The Nikonos IV was supposed to have electronics problems, perhaps others can tell us more. I just know I like my all mechanical Nikonos II. Joe

Old 07-17-2019   #23
B-9
Devin Bro

Phil, your the man!

-

Everyone loves a Nikonos right?

Lol not really for me though.

Fair warning on the I-10 Kofe - I’ve never owned one. Thanks!

Huss... don’t tempt me. I would love a CX-2. Is it really that awesome though? I think it might be... dang it.

Love all this tire kicking. Really putting rubber to the road.

Old 07-17-2019   #24
jbielikowski
call me Jan

Stay strong, OYCC is not for faint hearted. Don't worry about the 50/1.8, it will be cheaper to replace it than trying to find a new combo. Find a way to secure your camera on a strap around your shoulder.

Old 07-17-2019   #25
Huss

The CX2 is fantastic to use but the lens is just ok. The lens on the same size Minolta AF-C is better.

CX2 with Cinestill 800

With Fuji C200

Old 07-17-2019   #26
newst

My suggestion, a cheap Zorki with a collapsible Industar 50mm. Not a large investment, competent kit, if it gets destroyed just replace it. I have just done a similar move with a Kiev 4am but already have the Contax/Kiev lenses.

Old 07-17-2019   #27
Takkun
Ian M.

I won't make any camera recommendations, since, well, I have too many.

But I did want to share sympathy--I don't drive, period. Never have. Also used to shoot with a beast camera--Nikon D3 (and at one point, two), and have slowly accumulated a handful of cameras in pursuit of flexibility and size, and bicycle-stowability.

On the other hand, these days I'm shooting more and more 6x6--somehow managed to stuff both a TLR and SLR in my bag yesterday.

Okay, I lied. Here's one suggestion that might fit the bill: Oly XA. Picked one up at Glass Key in SF when my Leica went south shortly after my plane touched down. There's not much on it to go wrong, which is why I love it as a carry-everywhere camera. Chose it over the very tempting Canons they had in the case, made more tempting since I already had a handful of LTM lenses with me. But older cameras, as much as i love them, seem too 'precious' to me, and I've already got enough gear that needs to be sent in for repair.

--
my infrequently updated blog
Finally on Instagram

Old 07-17-2019   #28
Huss

This just showed up today..

Old 07-17-2019   #29
Ko.Fe.
Kostya Fedot

Quote:
Originally Posted by newst View Post
My suggestion, a cheap Zorki with a collapsible Industar 50mm. Not a large investment, competent kit, if it gets destroyed just replace it. I have just done a similar move with a Kiev 4am but already have the Contax/Kiev lenses.
I doubt any Zorki will lasts long in real use these days.
I had one serviced by known in FSU person. It worked for half a year and then, uneven exposures. I have half a dozen of FSU LTM including two from known here person. Both were sent to me with uneven exposures shutters.
I'm afriaid FSU LTMs are display units these days more and more.
I don't know why. Five years ago I rebuild two Zorki. These days I can't get even exposures by doing exactly the same...

Old 07-17-2019   #30
CharlesDAMorgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko.Fe. View Post
Canon P is bigger than regular M.
I-10 is very so-so lens. So-so on bw and who knows how bad it is on C-41.

Get EOS300 and 40 2.8 pancake. They sell rechargeable batteries for it now on eBay.
That lens is a beauty and wonderfully compact. I saw someone with an insanely large Canon DSLR shooting it and it really did just look like an oversized flange. Results are excellent, very sharp and nice rendering, cheap as chips too.

Apart from that have a Rolleiflex 3.5F, the odd Minolta XD7, Hasselblad 500cm, a Topcon Super D and an Intrepid 5x4 large format (not the half of it but I am clearing them out, honest).

I do all my own black and white developing at home.

Old 07-17-2019   #31
Huss

Pentax MX w/ 40mm 2.8 pancake. Mechanical camera w/ light meter. Look at how tiny it is!

Old 07-17-2019   #32
Huss

Voigtlander Bessa L w/ Color Minotar 35 2.8. No rf to get knocked outta wack. Has a built in meter.

Old 07-17-2019   #33
Huss

Leica MDa w/ Lomo 32 2.8 pancake lens:

Here chimping images with its state of the art LCD screen:

Old 07-17-2019   #34
Huss

Or maybe this teeny lil Leica?

Old 07-17-2019   #35
p.giannakis
Pan Giannakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMur12 View Post
I wouldn't stow anything valuable in a pannier because it would be so vulnerable to damage in a fall.
[...]
- Murray

Yes - for that reason i would probably go for a cheap body/lens of decent quality (i.e. Minota X300, or Pentax ME super, or Olympus OM10 or Canon EOS3000v etc..).

The Monochrome Archives
Instagram

Old 07-19-2019   #36
B-9
Devin Bro

I’m grabbing a Bessa R to try out.

Since you know I guess I can afford it lol.

Shout out to Igor @ IgorsCamera.com for the good deal as always.

No plans to ditch the EOS yet. I’ll give my thoughts as soon as I can beg, borrow, or buy a cheap lens.

Peace!

Old 07-19-2019   #37
Darthfeeble
But you can call me Steve

As you are on a one/one challenge, why not consider any one of the splendid fixed focus RFs from the late 50s? If an SLR is more your thing then the superb OM series from Olympus.

Old 07-19-2019   #38
B-9
Devin Bro

Nothing is really my "thing"

I enjoy them all as long as they are with me.

I may not sell the EOS 1 but again im more on a 1 camera 1 lens challenge in the form of I do not want to keep a bunch of cameras I do not use.

If I am cheating with the Bessa I guess I can accept that. lol

A fixed lens compact RF is really the ideal situation for most of us hobbyists.

Thanks for your input Darth! We are kicking tires here

For now I have already purchased the R from Igor and will explore that avenue when it arrives.

In the time between. Lets kick some more rubber.. yeah?

Old 07-22-2019   #39
rob.nyc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
Pentax MX w/ 40mm 2.8 pancake. Mechanical camera w/ light meter. Look at how tiny it is!
that's a crazy little camera! how are the photos with that rig? IMO 40mm is a great do-everything focal length

Old 07-22-2019   #40
splitimageview

Contax 139 with 45/2.8 Tessar.