Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Leicas and other Leica Mount Cameras > Leica Q / T / X Series

Leica Q / T / X Series For the Leica Q, T, X series digital cameras

Hands on CL test - jpg vs RAW w/ MF lenses
Old 11-25-2017   #1
Huss

Hands on CL test - jpg vs RAW w/ MF lenses

Today I had the chance to play with the CL. It had an AF lens on it but that held no interest to me, as I wanted to see how it works with M mount lenses.

Ben @ Samys Camera in Los Angeles (Fairfax shop - the only shop that has a demo at the moment) was very nice, and pulled out an M-TL adapter for me to use. What was surprising to me is how much better the RAW files looked than the jpegs. I don't know what the settings were (if there are different jpeg settings), just was told that it was set to record in RAW (dng) + Jpeg.

The RAW(DNGs) looked better w/o me doing anything, but because I would never leave them alone, I show them here w/ slight slider changes to taste. So you can see how a very very mildly breathed on RAW image compares to the jpg.

The first snap is with my iphone 4s (!) to show how the camera looks with the mighty 7Artisans 50 1.1. I was excited to use it and took a couple of snaps - shown here, but changed to my Lux 50 Asph once I realized the 7Artisans could only focus from min focus distance to about 2 meters. There is some physical interference w/in the camera mount as this lens sticks out a long long way. No issues (of course) with the Lux.

One thing of interest is I did not see any vignetting at these distances and shot wide open. I could not leave the building (the sales floor is on the 3rd floor) so obviously the test is not complete. It would be nice to try it at infinity and different apertures.

Anyway:

7Artisans 50 1.1 @ 1.1:

Jpeg

DNG

Jpeg

DNG

----------

Summilux 50 1.4 Asph:

Jpg

DNG

Jpg (shot through a glass display case)

DNG

Jpg

DNG

Old 11-25-2017   #2
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Looks good!

G

Old 11-25-2017   #3
Mute-on

Very interesting.

I do find it incredible that jpg cannot resolve red beyond a bright orange. No such issues in RAW. Drives me nuts at Christmas

Old 11-25-2017   #4
Emile de Leon

Thx for that Huss!
Are you going to pony up for it?

Old 11-25-2017   #5
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mute-on View Post
Very interesting.

I do find it incredible that jpg cannot resolve red beyond a bright orange. No such issues in RAW. Drives me nuts at Christmas
Yeah that's weird. It made me think that maybe I had the jpegs and dngs swapped, but I did not. The DNGs show reds as red, the jpeg shows them as orange.

Old 11-26-2017   #6
jsrockit

Leica jpegs are never that great to be honest. Never cared though... how did it feel in your hand?

Old 11-26-2017   #7
Godfrey
somewhat colored

The SL JPEGs are the best Leica JPEGs I've experienced. But I leave it on DNG only most of the time, and of course my M-D doesn't make JPEGs.

I could be tempted by this little body. It would make for a very compact travel kit with my R lenses. But I'll resist ... for now at least.

G

Old 11-26-2017   #8
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
One thing of interest is I did not see any vignetting at these distances and shot wide open.
Why would there be any vignetting using a full frame lens on an APS-C sensor? You are only using the center of the image circle.

Old 11-26-2017   #9
retinax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpdprinter View Post
Why would there be any vignetting using a full frame lens on an APS-C sensor? You are only using the center of the image circle.
Because more of the light hits the sensor at oblique angles further from the center. This needs to be corrected with micro lenses and less depth of the "wells".

Old 11-26-2017   #10
BillBingham2

Have to agree Huss, the RAW files just seem to look very well balanced. It should be said I am crappy at color differentiation.

Thanks for sharing.

B2 (;->

Old 11-26-2017   #11
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by retinax View Post
Because more of the light hits the sensor at oblique angles further from the center. This needs to be corrected with micro lenses and less depth of the "wells".
The 50 Lux Asph Huss was using (blue image circle) doesn't vignette on a full frame sensor so its not going to vignette on an APS-C sensor (pink rectangle). You are only using the center of the image circle, so the oblique angles explanation is inapplicable.

Old 11-26-2017   #12
Emile de Leon

The more I see this camera on youtube reviews..the more I like it..

Old 11-26-2017   #13
Huss

Quote:
I agree with you. My findings, albeit in very very limited testing, were contrary to some people reporting vignetting. Which does not make sense for the exact reasons you point out.

Which leads me to believe that some of these 'tests' in fact are not. Just throw in some catch phrases and continue with their day..

Old 11-26-2017   #14
Corran

Quote:
The 50 Lux Asph Huss was using (blue image circle) doesn't vignette on a full frame sensor so its not going to vignette on an APS-C sensor (pink rectangle).
This is just a nomenclature issue. I'm not sure if you don't know this or are just continuing on trying to get them to take the hint.

The issue is "vignette" vs. "fall-off." These days a lot of folks say "vignette" when they actually mean fall-off (or another term I have seen is "peripheral shading ).

Of course "vignette" in older times would mean hard-edge loss of image past the defined imaging circle, as in the image you posted.

While some pedants might insist "vignette" is wrong, I would mention that many modern cameras have "vignette control" in the software that fixes peripheral fall-off. So, I think in modern vernacular "vignette" and "fall-off" are used interchangeably. Don't tell the folks over at the LF forum as this side topic would probably be 10 pages long of arguing about what the words meant when they started shooting seriously in 1914.

Old 11-26-2017   #15
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrockit View Post
Leica jpegs are never that great to be honest. Never cared though... how did it feel in your hand?
It felt great. Like the luxury high end item that it is, and much better than the equivalent Fujis/Sonys etc. Which is how it should be given the price tag.
I'm not saying I'm getting one (I'm 95% a film shooter nowadays), but after using it, I 'get it'.

There are a couple of lenses I have that I'd love to try out on it. The killer Summicron 40 f2 and... the Lomo Minitar 32 2.8 pancake. The Lomo is sharp in the middle 1/3 and of course tiny. So it should perform very differently on the CL, as the outer edges are cropped out by the sensor.

Old 11-26-2017   #16
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Which leads me to believe that some of these 'tests' in fact are not. Just throw in some catch phrases and continue with their day..
Exactly. Draws into question the whole review. If they are making up stuff about vignetting, what else are they making up? In box review?

I like the styling of the CL and can afford it. I could just never rationalize purchasing it over the A6500 or XE3 at 3x the cost. I guess I'm too pragmatic. I'm currently shooting Fuji (XE2/XT2) and like the haptics with the aperture on the lens. Makes going back and forth between film and digital seamless. And I don't get using full frame lenses on an APS-C sensor, with its 1.5x multiplier. I initially thought using my OM lens would be great. I have 18/21/24/40/50/85 and 50/90 macro. The 18 though 50 duplicate the standard (and small) 18-55 zoom. The only MF lenses I use on the Fuji are the 50/90 macro. If I bought the CL, I'd use the 18-56 zoom rather than adapted FF lenses. It covers all the focal lengths and is compact, keeping with the CL's DNA.

Old 11-26-2017   #17
BillBingham2

Can you share the shot that makes you think it's darker at the sides?

B2 (;->

Old 11-26-2017   #18
Emile de Leon

Here's a good review..including some of the cons...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vef1B_r2RMo

Old 11-26-2017   #19
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Here's a good review..including some of the cons...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vef1B_r2RMo
He lost me when he started saying it was designed to be a social media camera which is why it is APS-C and only 24 mp...

Old 11-27-2017   #20
jsrockit

Quote:
It felt great. Like the luxury high end item that it is, and much better than the equivalent Fujis/Sonys etc. Which is how it should be given the price tag.\
Thanks, that is what I wanted to hear.

Old 11-27-2017   #21
jsrockit

Quote:
He lost me when he started saying it was designed to be a social media camera which is why it is APS-C and only 24 mp...
Yeah, silly.

Old 11-27-2017   #22
Ken Ford
Refuses to suffer fools

*Fingers in ears* Lalalalalala...

Leica: M-P Typ 240 - M6 - Leicavit M - RapidWinder - Motor M - 21 Super-Elmar - 28 Ultron - 35 Summicron ASPH - 40 Summicron - 75 APO-Summicron ASPH - 75 Summarit-M - 75 Color-Heliar - 90 Elmar-C
Nikon RF: S2 - S3 2000 - 35/2.5 - 50/2 - 50/1.4 Millennium - 105/2.5 - 135/3.4
X-Pro2, X-M1, X100s, NEX-7, dp0 Quattro, N1V1, N1V2, oodles of other stuff

Old 11-27-2017   #23
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Quote:
He lost me when he went on about how stylish and beautiful it was six times in the first 18 seconds.

Old 11-27-2017   #24
Huss

He lost me when he was swirling a whiskey talking about how handsome George Clooney is.

Old 11-27-2017   #25
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ford View Post
*Fingers in ears* Lalalalalala...
Ken, Ken, KEN!!!

It's really nice! Think about it this way, it's much smaller than the old M8, has a similar size sensor but with waaaay more resolution, has a huge ISO range, uses all the same lenses with no need for external VFs, does not need IR filters, is cheaper, etc etc...

Old 11-27-2017   #26
Emile de Leon

Quote:
He lost me when he was swirling a whiskey talking about how handsome George Clooney is.
Would you like Brad Pitt better..

Old 11-27-2017   #27
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile de Leon View Post
Would you like Brad Pitt better..
Doods aint my thing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGAyQAkXajg

Old 11-27-2017   #28
aizan

how was the evf and autofocus?

Old 11-27-2017   #29
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aizan View Post
how was the evf and autofocus?
EVF was 'ok', seemed the same as stuff that is in the Sony A6xx series.
Wished it was better as Leica has better ones in the Q and SL.
If you're ok with the ones in the Sony A6xx series, you'd be ok with this one.

AF ? - I did not pay much attention to it as I used the camera with MF lenses. Sorry.

Old 12-06-2017   #30
Chemophilic

This morning I had a chance to handle the CL a bit at the Leica SF store. I went with the intention to see how the CL stacked up against my Pen-F.

(Taken with the Pen-F)

Size-wise they are almost the same in my hands. The viewfinder placement and resolution are almost identical. The controls only took me about a minute to figure out. For me the handling for both cameras are quite similar. The CL is certainly quite nice to handle, and to me feels similar to the Pen-F.

The AF was able to focus quite fast inside the store and I did not feel much difference comparing to the AF speed of my Pen-F.

Finally, I took the same scene with both cameras. On my screen, except for the color, distortions, and slight framing differences, I am just not seeing a big difference in the final output. I was looking for a certain "crispness" that I saw with the Leica Q. Maybe I spent too little time with the camera, or internally tried to justify why I don't need this. But here are the results:

(Taken with CL + 23mm, f2, 1/160, iso400, taken as DNG and WB match with the Pen-F, no other adjustments)

(Taken with Pen-F + 15mm, f2, 1/100, iso200, taken as DNG and WB match with the CL, no other adjustments)

If you want to take a look at the exported jpeg at full resolution, the link to the album is here

Old 12-06-2017   #31
Huss

Color is way better with the Leica, that is something I noticed immediately. Not even close. And the contrast is much better - check out the pic frames and mats. The Olympus pic seems blue and murky in comparison.
I'm actually surprised by how much better the top pic looks.

Old 12-06-2017   #32
jsrockit

I think you may have expected too much here...

Old 12-06-2017   #33
Chemophilic

Huss you are right.. at first I thought that the color difference is due to the white balance. Even though I put down both as 3300k in LR, the final WB still look different.

For both pictures I can recover the highlight at the bottom right corner, so I felt that's a draw.

In any event, they won't have the CL and 18mm in stock until early next year, and the salesperson told me they had more preorder than the cameras they can actually get, so I think I am safe for now!

Old 12-06-2017   #34
ptpdprinter

Quote:
Color is way better with the Leica, that is something I noticed immediately. Not even close. And the contrast is much better - check out the pic frames and mats. The Olympus pic seems blue and murky in comparison. I'm actually surprised by how much better the top pic looks.
I don't remember the coloring of the brick in the SF Leica store. It's been several months since I've been in. So I don't know which color is more accurate. The Leica image is definitely warmer.

By the way, I don't really trust the color temperature numbers in LR. I don't think they are consistent. I would set white balance using the eyedropper tool on one of the white mats in the image. I think you'll find you get different numbers.

As far as sharpness and contrast, it's a little hard to tell looking at jpgs at 96 resolution.

That being said, I would expect image quality to be better with the Leica. I would hope so. Larger sensor and all that.

Old 12-06-2017   #35
Huss

Quote:
So I don't know which color is more accurate. The Leica image is definitely warmer.

I don't think the colour is warmer, but better. I examined the larger versions that Chemo provided links to, and when u look at the picture mats, the temp seems to be accurate. There is no warm tone to it (as far as I can judge sitting here). The Leica clearly has much better colour.

p.s. I'm not a Leica fan boy, for this money I'm getting a Nikon D850 for my gallery work (as a scanner).

Old 12-06-2017   #36
aizan

how did you match the white balance? the cl shot looks warmer, but that's about it.

Old 12-06-2017   #37
BlackXList

Quote:
Color is way better with the Leica, that is something I noticed immediately. Not even close. And the contrast is much better - check out the pic frames and mats. The Olympus pic seems blue and murky in comparison.
I'm actually surprised by how much better the top pic looks.
It's APS-C Vs M4/3, it should look better in this instance.

Old 12-06-2017   #38
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackXList View Post
It's APS-C Vs M4/3, it should look better in this instance.
Of course, but it was Chemo who chose this comparison.

Old 12-06-2017   #39
Chemophilic

I use the eyedrop tool to select the white mat part of the CL picture to do a customize WB, take the temp (number), and then put that in the WB temp for the Pen-F.

@ptpdprinter. I did what you suggested, and the WB temp differ by 50K so not a big difference, and the results still look quite similar. Maybe I should have checked if the settings on the CL and the Pen-F were all at default.

@BlackXList. I chose this comparison because if I was to buy the CL, it will be to replace the Pen-F because of the similarity in size and also of focal length that I like. My justification to get the CL would be because of IQ. Thus the comparison...

Old 12-06-2017   #40
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemophilic View Post

@BlackXList. I chose this comparison because if I was to buy the CL, it will be to replace the Pen-F because of the similarity in size and also of focal length that I like. My justification to get the CL would be because of IQ. Thus the comparison...
If the justification is IQ, then a Sony A6xxx would make much more sense.
My justification for the CL is IQ/M lens compatibility/fantastic design that makes me want to use it.