Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Image Processing: Darkroom / Lightroom / Film > Photo Software

Photo Software Discussions of all the photo software - except scanning software which is in the forum with scanners.

Old 06-19-2017   #81
Ronald M

A few years back, I was contacted by Google to see if more improvements were required to improve their recent purchase of the software.

Evidently the survey indicated no further development was required.

Old 06-25-2017   #82
Joe Crumley

Geees, I'm with Larry on this one. We aren't wanting something for nothing. It's only reasonable to expect paying for updates. But that's not what we ended up with.

I'm turning big time Sour on Google when, at one time, I thought they were on my side.
There's no reason they have to lose money on this product!

Old 06-25-2017   #83
jamin-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Crumley View Post
Geees, I'm with Larry on this one. We aren't wanting something for nothing. It's only reasonable to expect paying for updates. But that's not what we ended up with.

I'm turning big time Sour on Google when, at one time, I thought they were on my side.
There's no reason they have to lose money on this product!
Their original corporate motto "do no evil" got left by the wayside years ago. The big disrupter new way of doing business have grown into classic monopolies with a deep penetration into people's private lives. Bullies with a multi-billion dollar budget to pursue their hidden agendas.
I'm sure the good folks Americans sent to Washington to represent them are taking care of it though...

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Old 06-26-2017   #84
user237428934
User deletion pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamin-b View Post
Their original corporate motto "do no evil" got left by the wayside years ago. The big disrupter new way of doing business have grown into classic monopolies with a deep penetration into people's private lives. Bullies with a multi-billion dollar budget to pursue their hidden agendas.
I'm sure the good folks Americans sent to Washington to represent them are taking care of it though...
I don't know how people come to the conclusion that they have the right to claim unlimited maintenance of a software. No software company has to offer that. As long as they don't actively shut down your software they are not responsible if over the years your software environment changes and the software does not run anymore.

If your business relies on a software running long term, you normally pay a yearly maintenance fee on your initial purchase just to ensure that your software is up to date...or you rent it.

Old 06-26-2017   #85
user237428934
User deletion pending

I think Google was only interested in the U-Point technology that was part of the Nik tools and was patented. It's an essential part of all tools so making the software open source is kind of a problem.

Old 10-25-2017   #86
jarski

New news: https://dpreview.com/news/1675836798...r-free-for-now

Old 10-25-2017   #87
Ronald M

I am a capitalist, but do not believe in predatory tactics. Buying up competition is in that category.

Google is a mighty mouse with too much money.

They may have plans to bring out their own version and likely to be used on phones only, yes I said only. And they will use the tech from Nik to do it. It will not be free.

The way to stop this is to not use Google. There are equally good search engines out there.

Old 10-25-2017   #88
wintoid
Back to film

That is good news! Coupled with the Lightroom standalone product dying, it means I'm watching DXO and considering my next move.

Old 10-25-2017   #89
Godfrey
somewhat colored

Never used Silver Efex Pro. I created my own B&W rendering workflow in 2004, modified it a tiny bit when LR came out in 2006, and still use it. To me, black box packages like this are always a liability. I'd rather figure out how to get what works for me with standard tools and eschew any of these dependencies.

G

DxO acquires Nik Collection assets from Google, plans to continue to develop....
Old 10-25-2017   #90
danielsterno
making soup from mud

DxO acquires Nik Collection assets from Google, plans to continue to develop....

Good news! for Nik/ Silver Efex fans: https://nikcollection.dxo.com
than absolutely boring.

pencil/paint/M6/M5/Fuji x100F

flickr:https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Old 10-25-2017   #91
froyd

Excellent!

Old 10-25-2017   #92
Keith
On leave from Gallifrey

That's good news.

Old 10-25-2017   #93
nlubis

Agree. Good news.

Old 10-25-2017   #94
MaxElmar

Unexpected good news!

Still Photographically Uncool
https://www.flickr.com/photos/xenotar/

Old 10-25-2017   #95
michaelwj
----------------

Good news, especially if they also plan to end up with a real LR competitor that doesn't require a subscription.

Old 10-25-2017   #96
rfaspen

Whew! So far my Nik software has worked fine, but I've been scared to upgrade anything...

Old 10-25-2017   #97
peterm1

That is good news - so long as they make it available as a plugin for other products. For now I am OK I recently upgraded to Lightroom and Corel Paintshop Pro both running Nik plugins. I do my basic processing in Lightroom then click on a button to drop into Corel and or Nik to do anything more complex that is needed. My Lightroom wil go the way of all flesh eventually given they want to go down the subscription route so a standalone replacement will not be available whent he time comes and when it does I hope to continue running Nik under Corel alone.

Old 10-25-2017   #98
OlliL

Hate me for it, but I'd love to see them bring an updated / their version of Snapseed now.

Old 10-26-2017   #99
JoeLopez

Good news indeed, timed well with the recent LR news.
Snapseed is my goto mobile software, love it.

Other gear: Minolta X-570, Nikon F3/T, N90s & D750, Fuji X100T
Nikkor 50mm f1.8, 28mm f2.8 E, Voigtlander 40mm f/2.0 Ultron SL, Minolta 45mm f2 & 50mm f1.7

My Flickr | My ebay | Instagram

Old 10-26-2017   #100
willie_901

I suspect Google will retain control over Snapseed's technology.

Google had no interest in NIK. That's how come they gave it away for free. Eventually, DxO will monetize NIK – most likely by adding or improving functionality. That's OK with me.

I guess the original NIK will be available for a plug-in until it becomes operationally incompatible with new operating systems.
Basically, I mean, ah—well, let’s say that for me anyway when a photograph is interesting, it’s interesting because of the kind of photographic problem it states—which has to do with the . . . contest between content and form.
Garry Winogrand
williamchuttonjr.com

Old 10-26-2017   #101
OlliL

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie_901 View Post
I suspect Google will retain control over Snapseed's technology.

Google had no interest in NIK. That's how come they gave it away for free. Eventually, DxO will monetize NIK – most likely by adding or improving functionality. That's OK with me.

I guess the original NIK will be available for a plug-in until it becomes operationally incompatible with new operating systems.
Just to get it straight:

DxO bought the "Nik Collection" (Silver Efex, Color Efex...) off Google.
Google kept Snapseed, which was originally developed "Nik Software" as well.

Old 10-26-2017   #102
Huss

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsterno View Post
Good news! for Nik/ Silver Efex fans: https://nikcollection.dxo.com
I like it for colorfx. There is one tool in there that is excellent for correcting colour casts. It is under the pro contrast tool.

Old 10-26-2017   #103
peterm1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I like it for colorfx. There is one tool in there that is excellent for correcting colour casts. It is under the pro contrast tool.
I use Colorefx more than any of their other plugins. I simply find it most useful - the range of correction tools is astounding - and powerful. Combine it with their selective thingy that all thier plugins have and it is astoundingly powerful and useful.