Go Back   Rangefinderforum.com > Cameras / Gear / Photography > Rangefinder Forum > Rangefinder Photography Discussion

Rangefinder Photography Discussion General discussions about Rangefinder Photography. This is a great place for questions and answers that are not addressed in a specific category. Take note there is also a General Photography forum.

View Poll Results: Do you take your best gear?
I take my best gear. I want to make the best possible photographs, regardless of the hazzards. 166 63.60%
I leave my best gear at home. I want to know that it will be waiting for me when I get back. 20 7.66%
I only have the best. For me, there is no choice to be made. 41 15.71%
Nothing I own could ever be put in the same sentence with the word "best." 34 13.03%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

The Traveller's Dilemma
Old 06-13-2007   #1
Rafael
Mandlerian

The Traveller's Dilemma

How do you choose the photographic gear that you take with you on trips to countries where for meteorological reasons or for reasons of public safety you face the very real possibility that your gear will be damaged, stolen, etc.?

Obviously certain types of choices are made for you. For example, you cannot substitute a 35mm lens for a 21mm. If you need the 21mm focal length on your trip, then you take the lens. If you don't, you leave it at home.

But what about the choice between lenses of the same focal length and speed or cameras with the same VF magnification? Do you take your best gear?

Last edited by Rafael : 06-13-2007 at 17:01.

Old 06-13-2007   #2
back alley
IMAGES

off the top of my head and without any great thought...if it were me i would take my cv kit as it would be cheaper to replace if it were lost and i think it would be less painful to lose than the zi kit.

joe

Old 06-13-2007   #3
peter_n
~

I take two bodies and figure out the focal lengths I need. If I have more than one choice in a given focal length I generally take the lightest lens for obvious reasons. The value of the equipment doesn't come into it.

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-13-2007   #4
Nikon Bob
camera hunter & gatherer

Whatever I think will work best/is most suitable. If you have expensive gear then an insurance policy might be a good idea.

Bob

Old 06-13-2007   #5
Steve Bellayr

What and where you will photographing should dictate the equipment.

Old 06-13-2007   #6
mervynyan
Mervyn Yan

MP + 35lux are with me everyday, if i do a photo trip, in addition, will take m7ii/43/80/150, and a lot of films.

if you worry about losing stuff, you better stay home.

Old 06-13-2007   #7
Doug

I take what I want to shoot with, but at the same time I wouldn't like risking something that was hard to replace, a collector item...

Old 06-13-2007   #8
einolu

for the past year or more i have only had a bessa r and a 35mm skopar that i take with me when i travel (and a digital p&s), if it breaks im f'ed. i might get another r + skopar while they can still be had for backup but i would rather spend the money on something else.

einarsodinecs.com

Old 06-13-2007   #9
blakley
blakley

I bought a banged-up M6 for this exact purpose, and I've painted almost everything on it black. I put an old 35 or 50 lens on it & don't worry too much.

Old 06-13-2007   #10
michaelging

I think in life as well as travel photography , if all you think about is what you are losing, then no matter what happens, you have already lost.

Old 06-13-2007   #11
vrgard

That's exactly what my CL kit is for. Not only would I be less upset if it were stolen, but it is also physically smaller so it fits in my luggage better, tucks into my pocket more easily, is less obtrusive in social settings, etc. Of course, that answer changes if I think I will need something else/different/more. But it is nice to have the CL kit as my "grab and go" travel kit.

-Randy

Last edited by vrgard : 06-13-2007 at 20:10.

Old 06-13-2007   #12
mw_uio

This is what you do, have your camera strapped to your body over the shoulder and a light dark jacket covering your camera that is on your side. What you wear is important. None of this geeky pants that you can zipper off to make shorts. Where ever you are, walking and standing, you must portray yourself like you own the frickin place. Also no pointing of your hands. That spells trouble. No clothing with labels. Go unshaven and unbathed. No new clothes. Dark boots, no watch, no chain, no rings, small bills in your front pocket. Your Id in the bottom of your boot. Passport left at the hotel or with a friend. Have a transportation plan to the local you are going to, and one back. No map either. Study it before you go. A pack of Marlboro's also. If you feel that the heat maybe coming then step into a local shop for safety. Do not change your film right in the street. Not where everyone can frickin see you. If you have a M7, then use 'aperture priority' without a doubt. Did you know that 'Moaan' on flickr uses his M7 with it set to 'aperture priority' always.

Cheers
Mark
Quito, EC

2 x F3HP's/ 1 x MD4 - 20/F2.8; 24/F2.8; 28/F2.0; 50/F1.4; 85/F1.4 - 85 is in GRU
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX9
Olympus Stylus Epic

"To me, a camera is a license to explore."
– Jerry Uelsmann

Old 06-13-2007   #13
surlysimon

hi
As I have said before my basic travelling kit is an Olympus XA and XA4 (38mm lens and 28mm lens) and one other good camera which for now is my Nikon D50 with either the kit lens or 30/1.4 sigma lens.
It is a matter of covenience and domestic harmony more than quality of equpment.

Old 06-13-2007   #14
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

When sailing, I take a Nikon F75 with a cheapish zoom. If it goes overboard, nothing's really gone overboard.

If my RF's with the Hexanon would sink, I'd feel sick, really sick, for a long time..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 06-13-2007   #15
kully
Happy Snapper

Molly-cuddling is a pain in the bum. I don't have anything as expensive as an M7 or MP but I'll take my M2 or Bessas anywhere.

I've trained myself with cheapo SLRs so that I won't lose them no matter how drunk I get. And, I've never, ever been robbed whilst travelling (and I've been to some rough places, including most of the 'axis of evil' countries ) - that's by following (some) of the things that mw_uio put down.

Buying something expensive but being too scared to use it is a horrible feeling.

Old 06-13-2007   #16
mtscherning

I have my cameras and equipment for one simple reason; to use it, so of course I do so

My Photoblog

Old 06-13-2007   #17
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervynyan
if you worry about losing stuff, you better stay home.

Very well put.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 06-13-2007   #18
ChrisPlatt
Thread Killer

Toting lots of camera gear when traveling is just a pain in the neck.
Unless the trips main activity is photography I find a really good pocket
camera is often the best choice.
If you don't have one, a compact rangefinder camera is the next best thing.

Chris

Old 06-13-2007   #19
angeloks

I bring my 1V with a 50mm f1.4, prime lens all the way! For their IQ, their light sucking hability and their small weight.

I also carry a IIf with a 50mm collapsible when I want to be sneaky. When I need something wide, I use the 25mm CV lens. I don't mind bringing the barnack since that kit is just plain small! And having two cameras make me more confortable.

Leica IIIg (w/ VC Meter II) ~ Zeiss Ikon SW ~ Leica M8
Nikon Millenium Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (w/ LTM Amedeo adapter)
Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical Ultra-Wide Heliar

http://flickriver.com/photos/pekdeche/

Old 06-14-2007   #20
alan davus

During the 1970's I spent 7 years travelling (oh! to be young again) a lot of it hitching in the Third World, Asia, the Middle East, Africa, South America and so on. I can honestly say the only place I ever felt unsafe was in the States. For the most part leave the fear factor behind and take a good dose of common sense. That will get you through most situations. Photographically speaking, my companion during those years was a single body with a 50mm lens and I never felt deprived by not having more gear. Today if setting of out on a similar sojurn, the only other thing I would add would be a 35mm lens. I almost laugh at people who travel light with only 2 or 3 bodies and the minimum of 5 or 6 lenses.

Old 06-14-2007   #21
RML
Just live it.

Insurance, insurance, insurance!

Join the Rangefinder Blog/Site Ring.

Old 06-14-2007   #22
Sparrow

…….and what if you leave your prrrecious at home, safe, and thieves come in the night and burgle them; what then…… only thing to do then is to make less of an emotional investment in inanimate objects, now how hard would that be!

Stewart McBride

RIP 2015

You’re only young once, but one can always be immature.

flickr stuff

Old 06-14-2007   #23
iml

I like to travel light. One camera, two lenses, or two cameras, one of them a fixed-lens compact. A lot of my photography on home ground involves a lot of walking on hilly coastal paths, so I tend to travel pretty light even when I'm photographing at home as well, recently I've got into the habit of taking a Rollei TLR and an M6 with either a 50mm or a 28mm, and nothing else, or the Rollei and a Pentax K100D with a single prime lens if I think I might want to shoot some colour.

If I worried about something getting stolen, I wouldn't buy it in the first place, which is one reason why I have no interest in buying expensive cameras.

Ian

Some photos

Old 06-14-2007   #24
alcaraban

I would take the more convenient equipment in terms of weight, focal lengths, number of items ... but never worry about losing or damaging it. Actually, I always bring my most importance and irreplaceable piece of gear: myself.

The only risk I couldn't bear with is leaving my "best" (I haven't really good gear, even if I really appreciate what I have) stuff at home and getting it hitted by a comet (fire, thief, earthquake, etc...) while I am away. That would be fun.

Old 06-14-2007   #25
kalokeri
larger than 35mm

Very good, Stewart.

At least I bought cameras and lenses for using. That´s what I do although I never take everything I have when I leave for travelling. I suggest to travel light.

Don´t take to much gear with you, but take what´s best in your personal opinion. Bad weather and thiefs might happen, but that´s no reason for leaving your best, most useful gear at home. Maybe insurance will make you feel comfortable.

.Thomas

Old 06-14-2007   #26
pvdhaar
Zoom with your feet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RML
Insurance, insurance, insurance!
Doesn't help if your gear is out of production, or you cling on to it for emotional reasons..

Peter

My Hexländer Gallery

Old 06-14-2007   #27
Robert Price
I missed what?

Whell when Travelling Abroad. I will usually take, My Canon Rebel (xti now) And 2 lenses, Laptop, Flash. For film I bring my G2 and 3 lenses (28, 45, 90) as well as the flash. All of it will fit in my backpack.

http://www.uber.com/robertprice
R.I.P. G2

Old 06-14-2007   #28
alan davus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Price
Whell when Travelling Abroad. I will usually take, My Canon Rebel (xti now) And 2 lenses, Laptop, Flash. For film I bring my G2 and 3 lenses (28, 45, 90) as well as the flash. All of it will fit in my backpack.
I rest my case.

Old 06-14-2007   #29
BJ Bignell
Je n'aurai plus peur

Like the majority of persons, I voted for "take your best gear". My best happens to be the CV kit, but still...

If you are going in a situation where the environment will damage your gear, does it matter what you are using? If you absolutely need the shot, you will make some appropriate attempts to protect your equipment, but in the end you will still take the shot and risk ruining your camera. If you don't take the risk, why bother bringing the camera?

As for theft, what can you do? Valuable and non-valuable articles are always at risk of being stolen from your hotel room, your home, or right out of your hands, and in the end I don't believe that the material loss matters. Keep your exposed films separate, in a bag or suitcase that is less likely to be taken, and when you get home you'll still have your photographs and your memories.

I'm not a materialistic person - nor am I suggesting that you are - so I try not to get worried about physical possesions that are not essential to my survival. A good insurance policy for your gear will go a long way to salving your conscience, and protecting your wallet.

If a piece of equipment cannot be replaced due to scarcity or emotional attachment, then it has a different value that needs to be evaluated separately. In this case, I would likely be more protective of it, and may elect to leave it at home if I had a reasonable alternative.

RFF Gallery

Old 06-14-2007   #30
DavidH
Overweight and over here

Always the best that I can take - packaging restrictions play more of a deciding role for me - always fighting the limits of airlines. But gear is gear and I see no point in compromising...although it is all very well insured as well.

That said, I wouldn't take big expensive looking gear to some trouble spots because it makes you a target for all sorts of problems, not because I'd worry about losing the camera itself.

I don't collect cameras, I buy them to use. If I'm too afraid to use one because of value then it's not a camera, it's a showpiece or investment.

www.unnaturalworld.com

My RFF Gallery

Old 06-14-2007   #31
angeloks

I wouldn't consider something of sentimental value / a collectible that cannot be replaced as a proper working tool... You can always get the same (or similar) item without the embarrass of it being irreplaceable. If your M3 or IIIf has a particular value to your eyes, just get one beat up for your trip and don’t bother arguing whether you should bring your most precious collectible items on the field or your wife’s wedding gift…

Leica IIIg (w/ VC Meter II) ~ Zeiss Ikon SW ~ Leica M8
Nikon Millenium Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 (w/ LTM Amedeo adapter)
Voigtlander 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical Ultra-Wide Heliar

http://flickriver.com/photos/pekdeche/

Old 06-14-2007   #32
nomade
Hobbyist

I would take the best i have esimating the best possible outcome... after all we buy to use, right??
Digital: Nikon D7000
SLR: Minolta XG-M

Lens Collection: Jupiter 9&12, MD.W Rokkor 35 mm f2.8, MD Rokkor 50mm f1.4, makinon 24mm f2.8, Soligor zoom 70/150 mm f3.5, Nikkor 18-105, Fisheye Rokinon, Sigma 12-22, Sigma Macro 70-300
New additions: Ikon Zeiss & Polaroid Socialmatic

My gallery
My blog

Old 06-14-2007   #33
ClaremontPhoto
Jon Claremont

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomade
...after all we buy to use, right??

I'm laughing at that one.

Many of us do. But by no means all.

R.I.P. 2009

Jon

ClaremontPhoto

Box of Chocolates
A Gray Area
Panoramic
Friends & Neighbors

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." Noel Coward

Old 06-14-2007   #34
Magus

Post deleted by posters request

Old 06-14-2007   #35
laptoprob
back to basics

I liked handling my IIf on recent trips. I got the J-9 to have a short tele with screwmount.
Always debating if and if so which body should be nr2. That can be the CLE for real lowlight stuff or the M4-2.
Next trip, cycling to Paris, I will probably only take the IIf, small lenses and the J-9.
Or should I bring a backup...

Stopped worrying about insurances long ago. Not practical while using old stuff, if it is camping gear or cameras.

You live and learn. At any rate, you live. Douglas Adams

Architecture and Photography

Old 06-14-2007   #36
giellaleafapmu

Perhaps, one should add "the best gear for the job I have to do abong the gear I have"...
Why spending money on anything if you are going to leave it at home?

GLF

Old 06-14-2007   #37
nightfly

I don't understand collecting and I only have 1 rangefinder body and two lenses so I'd bring that one and maybe just one of the lenses (a 35mm Summicron) because really the less gear you bring, the easier it is to shoot. I don't really draw the line between going out to shoot locally and shooting for travel.

That said, I'd probably also bring a Yashica T4 with color film if I was going someplace colorful.

I think the less stuff you bring, the more likely you are to have the right thing with you. Planning for travel is always much more complicated than actually traveling. Once you're gone, you generally forget about what you don't have and concentrate on using what you do.

Old 06-14-2007   #38
LazyHammock

I would second the advice to travel light. My current favorite kit - M3 and ZM Planar. There are some wide shots I'll miss I'm sure but my bag is light and my back and feet are grateful at the end of the day. The camera got quite wet in Germany a couple of weeks ago on a number of occasions but it wipes dry and keeps on shooting (no electronics to worry about).
I'd hate to lose the camera and lens but I have little sentimental attachment to it and could replace it if necessary.
My bottom line would be take what you most enjoy shooting, don't overload yourself and don't spend so much time farting around with your gear as to miss the travel experience.
Have a good trip.
Nick

Old 06-14-2007   #39
shadowfox
Darkroom printing lives

For me it's simple, the best, most versatile gear I have is not expensive nor it is rare. It's inconspicuous, quite beat up, and not loud. So I take it everywhere.

... oh, and also my trusty XA, it hardly takes any space ...

Old 06-14-2007   #40
sepiareverb
genius and moron

I'm still trying to figure out what to bring on this trip- first by plane in a long long time.